Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4840182 times)

ArkStrike

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #7550 on: 2019-03-02 03:07:30 »
Quick questions

How come there is nothing on the NT 1.5 Flevel/Script Hotfix?? Is it not necessary in 1.5 or is it in the works?

Also, will 2.0 be a big jump for the mod? Any ideas when we can expect it? Or is 2.0 a hypothetical final stage of NT and 1.6 is the new version?

I'm going to do a playthrough with NT 1.5 right now because after beating the vanilla game (PS1 version) with a no summon-no items run, it still felt easy, and I'm not going to up the challenge because I know it will only become tedious and not difficult or strategic. I have played NT on the 1.4 version but my HDD failed before reaching Fort Condor and let me tell you I was excited to know it's still getting love. I recommend it all the time and even my FFmaniac friend that does a 100% run of FF7 and FF9 every year got his ass kicked for daring to think spamming attack and restore would work but he thinks potions having different effects in-battle and in the field is pretty neat.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: 2019-03-02 14:26:58 »
Hi!

So I apologise if this has already been raised or I'm missing some detail of an update but having read the readme I was under the impression Steal was now 100% chance albeit with a smaller chance of a rarer item?

I am regularly getting Steal failures even against bog-standard regular enemies when using the mod. And I can confirm the mod is most certainly activated!

Edit: I've just read further into the readme with the Steal chances - it's a little confusing as the 25% chance for each of the 2 common items etc. seems to contradict the earlier paragraph?

It's a problem with the way Level was adjusted for damage formulas; as you get further into the game, it starts to become disproportionately difficult to steal. For the North Crater, you'll need a Steal Glove equipped to be able to steal successfully.

Quick questions

How come there is nothing on the NT 1.5 Flevel/Script Hotfix?? Is it not necessary in 1.5 or is it in the works?

Also, will 2.0 be a big jump for the mod? Any ideas when we can expect it? Or is 2.0 a hypothetical final stage of NT and 1.6 is the new version?

I'm going to do a playthrough with NT 1.5 right now because after beating the vanilla game (PS1 version) with a no summon-no items run, it still felt easy, and I'm not going to up the challenge because I know it will only become tedious and not difficult or strategic. I have played NT on the 1.4 version but my HDD failed before reaching Fort Condor and let me tell you I was excited to know it's still getting love. I recommend it all the time and even my FFmaniac friend that does a 100% run of FF7 and FF9 every year got his ass kicked for daring to think spamming attack and restore would work but he thinks potions having different effects in-battle and in the field is pretty neat.

There were no flevel changes in the february patch, it was purely scene/kernel changes (to correct a potential softlock with the Bizarro fight and make some adjustments to enemy skills to sort out the issue with one being unlearnable + altering a few).

1.5 is the final version for this mod. 2.0 is a rebuild I want to make that'll be using the modding frameworks that are currently in development by other users. The differences between both will be significant enough that I'll be keeping 1.5 around as a legacy version; a lot of stuff will be different/gone from 2.0 compared to 1.5.

I want to do one last big update for 1.5 in the meantime though because I don't know how long those frameworks will take to finish (and I'm also working on FF8 NT for the time being). I've another week off work coming up during this month so will probably go for it at that time.

DFR66

• View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: 2019-03-02 19:23:02 »
Hey Sega Chief,

I have a question about the newest New Threat Mod,

I´ve completed it on Arranged mode, which should´ve been more difficult then the normal one. But it was really easy. For example the enemies in the Northern Crater, who did have Alot of HP before, were considerably weaker now (I think the dragon there had around 30,000 hp), and also the Dark Cave was really easy to beat.. did you purposely downgrate the HP of the enemies there or do you think it was bugged?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: 2019-03-02 19:49:49 »
Hey Sega Chief,

I have a question about the newest New Threat Mod,

I´ve completed it on Arranged mode, which should´ve been more difficult then the normal one. But it was really easy. For example the enemies in the Northern Crater, who did have Alot of HP before, were considerably weaker now (I think the dragon there had around 30,000 hp), and also the Dark Cave was really easy to beat.. did you purposely downgrate the HP of the enemies there or do you think it was bugged?

It depends when you originally played, there's been a lot of HP nerfs (particularly Crater) since 1.5 first came out.

DFR66

• View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: 2019-03-02 21:00:18 »
I started this new game the 22th of november.  So is it possible that at the time the enemies from the Northern Cave were so low at HP? Can you explain the reason why you´d put the HP so low? The thing I´d really like was the challenge and this made it a bit to easy IMO.. Did you put the HP up again with the new update?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: 2019-03-02 21:14:00 »
I started this new game the 22th of november.  So is it possible that at the time the enemies from the Northern Cave were so low at HP? Can you explain the reason why you´d put the HP so low? The thing I´d really like was the challenge and this made it a bit to easy IMO.. Did you put the HP up again with the new update?

People felt the fights took too long for random encounters and I was convinced to lower the HP they had. Their HP wasn't restored with the latest update.

DFR66

• View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: 2019-03-02 21:21:46 »
I agree that before the fights where extremely difficult, and I can totally understand that you made this decision. But I think you could find a middle way, there is no challange anymore and thats a shame. If you would´ve made the update more difficult I was gonna play it again. I´ve played this game so many times that I need the challange. I hope your gonna change your mind about it in the future. What I don´t understand is that you already made 2 difficulties, the people who think it´s to hard could just decide to play the normal difficulty right? So that you can keep the Arrange mode for the die hards?  8)

DFR66

• View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: 2019-03-02 21:30:32 »
Something else I would like to see, is that if you complete the game and all the bosses, and still like to have a good battle, maybe you could create something like the super boss rush, but in a different way, like a cave or an isle with all super strong enemies. In a sence this is how I already saw the Northern Cave before you made it much easier. You think something like this is possible? Maybe even an extra option in Gold Saucer where you can choose for a solo match or team match against random strong enemies, where you can archieve an highscore that you can try to beat to keep a certain challange in the game?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: 2019-03-03 02:53:45 »
I agree that before the fights where extremely difficult, and I can totally understand that you made this decision. But I think you could find a middle way, there is no challange anymore and thats a shame. If you would´ve made the update more difficult I was gonna play it again. I´ve played this game so many times that I need the challange. I hope your gonna change your mind about it in the future. What I don´t understand is that you already made 2 difficulties, the people who think it´s to hard could just decide to play the normal difficulty right? So that you can keep the Arrange mode for the die hards?  8)

Something else I would like to see, is that if you complete the game and all the bosses, and still like to have a good battle, maybe you could create something like the super boss rush, but in a different way, like a cave or an isle with all super strong enemies. In a sence this is how I already saw the Northern Cave before you made it much easier. You think something like this is possible? Maybe even an extra option in Gold Saucer where you can choose for a solo match or team match against random strong enemies, where you can archieve an highscore that you can try to beat to keep a certain challange in the game?

What I'll do then is make Arrange into a proper hard mode. I think Arrange has disappointed people since it was released and every time it was renovated; if I'm doing one last update for 1.5 then that means one last chance to get Arrange done right.

The earliest builds on NT had a more expansive Extra Battle in Gold Saucer where you had a choice of around 8 or so bosses to go up against. It was eventually pared down into a 3-match thing with the bosses it used being sent off to different parts of the mod as new scripts were made. I could definitely bring something similar to it back, albeit a little grander in scale; there are a tonne of unused enemies in NT's files now that could be renovated.

As for a score, I could have each enemy tally into a variable that measures either number of turns it took to kill it (or to get through an entire rush mode) and have scores tallied at end?

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: 2019-03-03 07:29:44 »
Oh man, a rush type mode for NT would be a blast!

DFR66

• View Profile
« Reply #7560 on: 2019-03-03 15:45:48 »
@Sega Chief

That sounds awesome man, would love to play something like that. Both the higscore ratio and the part of unused enemies in the NT files sounds really cool to me.

Now that we're talking about new idea's anyway, are you capable of bringing bonus characters to the game after you reach disc 3 (for example Zack, with the sword set and limit skills of Cloud, no replacement but more like a copy) to replace an impopular character like Cait Sith, perhaps with a special Quest or something? Or perhaps Sephiroth. Did always like the idea of playing these 2 guys in a nice and balanced way.

Also, about the Gold Saucer again, if its possible for you to create single battle rush as well, could be nice if you could play some of these legendary characters like Zack, Sephiroth, Dyne, some of the Turks, perhaps Rufus etc.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-03 15:51:44 by DFR66 »

Ayoyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: 2019-03-03 17:10:16 »
What I'll do then is make Arrange into a proper hard mode. I think Arrange has disappointed people since it was released and every time it was renovated; if I'm doing one last update for 1.5 then that means one last chance to get Arrange done right.
Gotta voice support for this. I always thought it logical to assume that people who'd go through the effort of seeking out mods such as this are obviously doing it for the increased difficulty/added meaningful strategic depth&challenge to begin with, let alone the ones who want even harder time. It's pretty much the hardcore demographic at that point, so the second mode should most definitely stretch the difficulty as far as it goes without breaking integrity(too severe reductions to the number of viable tactics etc.). There's already vanilla and normal mode to cater to the majority of players anyways.

janlex1990

• View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: 2019-03-03 19:45:19 »
Have you tried turning on the DPI settings on the FF VII EXE, right click the exe, go to the compatibility tab go to change DPI settings and tick both boxes.

I tried it, but didnt change anything.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: 2019-03-04 22:00:01 »
@Sega Chief

That sounds awesome man, would love to play something like that. Both the higscore ratio and the part of unused enemies in the NT files sounds really cool to me.

Now that we're talking about new idea's anyway, are you capable of bringing bonus characters to the game after you reach disc 3 (for example Zack, with the sword set and limit skills of Cloud, no replacement but more like a copy) to replace an impopular character like Cait Sith, perhaps with a special Quest or something? Or perhaps Sephiroth. Did always like the idea of playing these 2 guys in a nice and balanced way.

Also, about the Gold Saucer again, if its possible for you to create single battle rush as well, could be nice if you could play some of these legendary characters like Zack, Sephiroth, Dyne, some of the Turks, perhaps Rufus etc.

I had an idea for a feature like 'echo fighters' where you can swap a character with one that's similar on Disc 3 (not a story thing, just visually); this swap could also come with its own set of unique stats and other stuff.

Way that'd work; on 7H or similar, a model swap is initiated based on an in-game variable which means a different set of model files get loaded in place of the original (same with field model, menu portrait, etc). For stat-swap, that's where some of the new frameworks come in that allow the savemap to be adjusted using field script opcodes (this would also allow for Limits to be reallocated/deactivated based on what the new model is capable of using).

For the rush, I've written some notes and early ideas, was thinking they could follow certain themes; a Shinra-themed rush of shinra-based enemies/bosses for instance. A few themed rushes using certain types of enemies and some special ones.

Gotta voice support for this. I always thought it logical to assume that people who'd go through the effort of seeking out mods such as this are obviously doing it for the increased difficulty/added meaningful strategic depth&challenge to begin with, let alone the ones who want even harder time. It's pretty much the hardcore demographic at that point, so the second mode should most definitely stretch the difficulty as far as it goes without breaking integrity(too severe reductions to the number of viable tactics etc.). There's already vanilla and normal mode to cater to the majority of players anyways.

I'll make Arrange more difficult. There's a few critical adjustments I made in the 2.0 prototype that should make things interesting.

Slide885

• View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: 2019-03-05 02:42:00 »
Hi, I looked around to see if I could find this particular issue anywhere else. I'm in the Dark Cave and after beating Mirrage, my party exits Cloud and then just stand there looking at each other. Can't move, can't make anything happen. Music and sound keeps playing so it isn't a crash. I thought this might be due to some of the graphics mods that I have installed so I turned those off. No dice. Any ideas?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: 2019-03-05 13:22:56 »
Hi, I looked around to see if I could find this particular issue anywhere else. I'm in the Dark Cave and after beating Mirrage, my party exits Cloud and then just stand there looking at each other. Can't move, can't make anything happen. Music and sound keeps playing so it isn't a crash. I thought this might be due to some of the graphics mods that I have installed so I turned those off. No dice. Any ideas?

I take it if there's other mods then it's an IRO? Make sure you're using the IRO from the first post on this thread rather than the one in the catalog. For debugging I'd recommend using a tool like Ochu to set the boss' HP to 1 so you can get past it faster; also try a different party composition in case one of the characters has a bad/conflicting script (and let me know if this works so I can debug the party comp you had that caused it to lock).

athisis27

• View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: 2019-03-07 20:39:29 »
@Sega Chief

Good job on the mod. I've been digging through the weeds on the morph materia location (v1.5). What little I can find says it's outside Aeris's house. My game has osmose outside her house. I played up through Wutai and never found it. I've been searching the web/documentation for the location but can't find it. This is driving me nuts. Is it possible to have morph misplaced because of install error?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: 2019-03-07 21:20:26 »
@Sega Chief

Good job on the mod. I've been digging through the weeds on the morph materia location (v1.5). What little I can find says it's outside Aeris's house. My game has osmose outside her house. I played up through Wutai and never found it. I've been searching the web/documentation for the location but can't find it. This is driving me nuts. Is it possible to have morph misplaced because of install error?

There's two materia in that area; head up into the flower area beside Aeris' house. Morph is where Cover originally was (yellow orb, on left side), and the new Osmose materia is where the item was (cyan orb below the blue item, on the right):
https://imgur.com/a/5gg0rKe

athisis27

• View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: 2019-03-07 22:27:00 »
There's two materia in that area; head up into the flower area beside Aeris' house. Morph is where Cover originally was (yellow orb, on left side), and the new Osmose materia is where the item was (cyan orb below the blue item, on the right):
https://imgur.com/a/5gg0rKe

Thanks found it. I somehow just didn't see it every time.

DFR66

• View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: 2019-03-08 15:02:59 »
I had an idea for a feature like 'echo fighters' where you can swap a character with one that's similar on Disc 3 (not a story thing, just visually); this swap could also come with its own set of unique stats and other stuff.

Way that'd work; on 7H or similar, a model swap is initiated based on an in-game variable which means a different set of model files get loaded in place of the original (same with field model, menu portrait, etc). For stat-swap, that's where some of the new frameworks come in that allow the savemap to be adjusted using field script opcodes (this would also allow for Limits to be reallocated/deactivated based on what the new model is capable of using).

For the rush, I've written some notes and early ideas, was thinking they could follow certain themes; a Shinra-themed rush of shinra-based enemies/bosses for instance. A few themed rushes using certain types of enemies and some special ones.

I'll make Arrange more difficult. There's a few critical adjustments I made in the 2.0 prototype that should make things interesting.

Gotta say, sounds good to me. You're the pro man I trust you you to make it as great as you always do.  8-)

Do you have an idea when you will be done with making the Arranged mode more difficult?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: 2019-03-08 15:57:25 »

Gotta say, sounds good to me. You're the pro man I trust you you to make it as great as you always do.  8-)

Do you have an idea when you will be done with making the Arranged mode more difficult?

Not sure, I've got FF8 on the go as well but I can work through FF7's files a lot faster than the FF8 ones. I'll see if I can get it done in a month.

Necro

• View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: 2019-03-10 03:26:11 »
Would it be possible to get the mod notes uploaded somewhere else like Googl edrive?

When I try to download I get locked into an infinite ad loop and have to close it. I wanted to read the notes while I watched my friend play this.

TheTruth197

• View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: 2019-03-10 19:48:58 »
No issues or anything like that. Just wanted to post that the New Threat mod is fantastic. Just got a proper gaming PC and this is only my second time experimenting with any type of modding (first was Skyrim on console) and this mod has shown me how great and fun playing games with mods can actually be. FF7 is my favorite game ever and being able to run through it again with new, well done gameplay tweaks and subtle story changes, like Aeris..yeah i said "Aeris"..surviving is like a breath of fresh air. The visual mods i have installed definitely help with that as well. I'm about half way through disc 2 and am having a great time with it. It can be difficult at times but i don't mind the challenge. To the creator of the mod, you did great work. I'm sure you'll keep it up, and i'm looking forward to the FF8 new threat mod that i read you're also working on.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: 2019-03-10 19:51:42 »
Would it be possible to get the mod notes uploaded somewhere else like Googl edrive?

When I try to download I get locked into an infinite ad loop and have to close it. I wanted to read the notes while I watched my friend play this.

Sure: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18BH_PX891oIkg6lGFE5SSB_bBjaq0TOI/view
Should be downloadable, let me know if not.

No issues or anything like that. Just wanted to post that the New Threat mod is fantastic. Just got a proper gaming PC and this is only my second time experimenting with any type of modding (first was Skyrim on console) and this mod has shown me how great and fun playing games with mods can actually be. FF7 is my favorite game ever and being able to run through it again with new, well done gameplay tweaks and subtle story changes, like Aeris..yeah i said "Aeris"..surviving is like a breath of fresh air. The visual mods i have installed definitely help with that as well. I'm about half way through disc 2 and am having a great time with it. It can be difficult at times but i don't mind the challenge. To the creator of the mod, you did great work. I'm sure you'll keep it up, and i'm looking forward to the FF8 new threat mod that i read you're also working on.

Glad to hear that; I'd recommend checking out a tool called Ochu as well. It can toggle/unlock the FPS of this game to make it smoother/faster (along with other features): http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14194.0

TheTruth197

• View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: 2019-03-10 20:35:03 »
Glad to hear that; I'd recommend checking out a tool called Ochu as well. It can toggle/unlock the FPS of this game to make it smoother/faster (along with other features): http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14194.0

Nice, the FPS unlocking definitely piques my interest. Everything else seems a little too gameshark-y for me though lol. May be good for a "just for fun" playthrough. I wanted to ask though and i forgot in my previous message, I've been looking for double cut materia and your where is the thing doc says it's in the ancient forest but i couldn't find it anywhere. I also picked up 2 apocalypse swords from there, one at the very beginning right before exiting the first area and one in the chest at the end before entering the cave. There's also a frozen NPC inside the cave that i can't interact with so i was curious if maybe it's bugged.