Author Topic: Question on swapping models and creation  (Read 6348 times)

Xenovann

• Currently working on 7 A.P.
    • View Profile
Question on swapping models and creation
« on: 2013-06-01 03:18:26 »
I was wondering how hard it is to grab models from say Dissidia or Itadaki Street Special and use them in FFVII. Ive seen videos of a guy using those models and some of his own but hes not sharing. Is it a long journey, is that why people have made their own renditions instead? If I wanted to do this what tools would I need to use?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Re: Question on swapping models and creation
« Reply #1 on: 2013-06-01 18:53:57 »
That's illegal.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-06-01 21:58:15 »
? It is? I thought it was just the whole sharing thing that was illegal. I thought if you extracted from a game you own and put it in another game you own, that was fine.

Edit: Oh, I see.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-01 22:49:05 by JBedford128 »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-06-01 22:00:57 »
I meant the part about how he saw a guy on youtube and wanted him to give the models and about why people didn't just rip them and share them here.

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-06-01 22:26:29 »
Guess that explains it. But how are the FMV field models not illegal?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-06-01 22:31:46 »
Which models do you mean, do you have a link?

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-06-01 22:42:01 »
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13489.msg188311#msg188311

Eh, nvm looks like they built the things. They just look really really close to the CG models. So Id have to build the models myself from the ground up and even if they look identical to the official ones Im safe to share?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-06-01 22:43:19 »
Perfectly fine.

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-06-01 22:46:14 »
Alright cool. Can you point me to a helpful thread to get started or a list of programs that people use?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-06-01 22:50:14 »
I don't really know anything about making models, but you should contact users such as Kaldarasha or Whiteraven.

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-06-01 22:56:56 »
Oh okay. Thanks, guess I'll do some digging. *equips a shovel and spins it to the fan fare music then places it on his back*

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-06-02 19:31:54 »
Oh okay. Thanks, guess I'll do some digging. *equips a shovel and spins it to the fan fare music then places it on his back*
I would suggest looking in the TOOLS forum for 'model conversion' you could roll your own tools my using the wiki information under FF7. Their are 2 sets of models the chibi style ones are in the field (IE hence field models) these are seperate from the battle models (hence why they look different). Fortunately FF7 used a relatively simple model setup. The complex part is the animation. You need to match the bone count to make the animations to just work without modification.

You don't want to make new animations as I don't believe tools are available for that and the format is non trivial in nature to decode let alone make (uses delta compression and bit packing).

You should look at the tools area to see what model formats / programs the converters were made for before you assume you have one that will work.

For what little I could help you with, you will just need to be patient in doing this, take your time and think things through and you do just fine.

Cyb

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-06-02 21:12:57 »
Custom models are legal to share/redstribute, ripped models not allowed but you are allowed to do it for yourself but can't share it of course

You should do some research googling, youtube on how to rip and get the specific model files you need out of the game to your pc, then once your ended up with those files you have to learn how to convert and stuff make it work with ffvii ingame
Some of the tools you would need to make this model work into ffvii like
3dsmax or blender, kimera, pcreator, img2tex and maybe more

You can get some of the tools here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12503.msg173807#msg173807
Some tutorials and documentation here:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12503.msg173809#msg173809

And many more available somewhere in the internet :)

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-06-03 01:00:43 »
wOW thanks everyone.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-06-03 03:07:41 »
You might want to make a new thread for your project under Graphical mods.

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-06-06 06:21:09 »
So while Googling Cloud picks to inspire me for creating a model I came across a picture that lead me to a couple threads of people taking models from other games (FFVII based ones) and editing them for use in FFVII, on this site, in 2009. The projects were stopped abruptly.

Whats more curious is that several people doing this type of work have come up with an excuse to stop, by saying that they have bad things happening in their lives at the moment, coincidence?

This might not have been when you guys were around but do you have any clue what brought about the halt? Did lawyers contact people?

Sorry just curious whether Im going to run into any problems. I know Ive been told its fine as long as I build the characters myself but Ive been reading up on the subject.. I think if I base my models off other better looking ones in square games they can still slap me with a cease and desist. 

Ill continue my plans either way because I think the fans deserve a better class of FFVII but Im not so sure how public I should be with my projects until Ive completed them. What do you think?

whitERaven

• when the Raven turns white..
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-06-06 07:48:44 »
Sorry just curious whether Im going to run into any problems. I know Ive been told its fine as long as I build the characters myself but Ive been reading up on the subject.. I think if I base my models off other better looking ones in square games they can still slap me with a cease and desist.
hmm.. as long as the model you are working on does not have any (no matter how small) ripped content, it is ok to share it.

while..

people taking models from other games (FFVII based ones) and editing them for use in FFVII

Now that's a big "NO" :( , we are not allowed share or distribute models with ripped content even if the other game is FF7 themed.

how public I should be with my projects until Ive completed them. What do you think?

It depends on you really, if your a beginner and could use some help while your work is on progress you can post updates of your work, otherwise do what you think is better.. ;D ;D ;D

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-06-06 15:17:10 »
Whiteraven is right, if you made the whole thing yourself it's fine.

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-06-07 20:40:07 »
Aright, thanks for the responses. I turned a corner with that project though. I see no point in remaking models that are already out there to rip and that are most likely being used by people here already.

I have thought of doing more realistic models, which I might still do however other more experienced artists could probably trump me at that, especially if square wanted to remake FFVII, finally. I have something much better in mind, something that would still beat square even if they came out with PS4 graphically enhanced FFVII. Itll be a lot of work on my part but it would make people replay this game fully just to see what Ive done.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-06-07 20:43:37 »
There will never be a remake unless Square files for bankruptcy. That is when we'll get remastered FFVII and Kingdom Hearts 3.

Xenovann

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-06-07 22:31:42 »
Well mark Kingdom Hearts 3 off the list, thats coming out for the new consoles.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-14 04:23:43 by Xenovann »