Author Topic: Best tool for modding FF7 PSX weapon and armor stats?  (Read 3981 times)

wickeddelite

• View Profile
I'm getting really confused with my websearching because it seems like a lot of FF7 related modding stuff is only for the PC version, but not clearly marked or categorized.  :|  I want to create a pretty simple patch: for all current weapons and armors in the game, make them have 8 slots (in 4 linked pairs) and triple materia growth.  Or quadruple if the game would support it, but I'm not sure it would.  I want them to have those stats when you find or buy them in the game.

I did manage to find the weapon stats using Cheat Engine, but that only changed them while the game is running, since they aren't saved in the save game file.  I don't think Cheat Engine can be used on an iso the way it can on a running emulator...?

Edit:  Ooh, I discovered WallMarket and got it to run.  This might work! *rubs hands together*
« Last Edit: 2015-08-19 08:12:57 by wickeddelite »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Best tool for modding FF7 PSX weapon and armor stats?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-19 18:05:29 »
Triple is as high as the game currently allows. I can modify (and have modified) it to accept higher by way of exe edits. I've enabled quadruple/quintuple growth options for Tenko Kuugen's Nightmare mod. It seems that the multiplier can be as high as quinquinquaginducentuple (255x) growth. I remember there was something special about some mid-quadragintuple (~45x) growth. For some reason I recommended against going higher than 40, but I can't remember why except it might cause an overflow. I can't justify that now. It may have been specific to his mod...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-19 23:10:20 »
You'll also need to edit the text "triple" to something like "x4".  Found in the exe.  touphScript can edit text.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2015-08-20 02:16:22 »
You'll also need to edit the text "triple" to something like "x4".  Found in the exe.  touphScript can edit text.
You'd just have to add the text to the array it's in. It has five slots: "Nothing", "Normal", "Double", "Triple" and null. It takes a little more editing just to get that text to show up and be acknowledged as a valid multiplier, though. I can tell you how to do all of this on the PC version, but I'm not as adept in the PSX asm.

wickeddelite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-08-22 08:09:05 »
I decided on an alternate solution.  Rather than needing more than triple growth, I reduced the amount of AP needed on the most extreme materia.