Author Topic: Forum upgrade  (Read 105549 times)

jmp434

• https://www.paypal.me/jmp434
    • View Profile
    • Make a donation
Re: Forum upgrade
« Reply #75 on: 2017-01-26 12:16:29 »
Hello, I have not read any suggestions and others because I speak French and translating everything correctly is complicated.

I therefore propose my ideas and you have to dissect with what has been said before.

So, for me the aesthetics of the forum in general lack of color, it looks a bit dead ... It should give it a really specific style and pertaining to final fantasy, kind of small moogle in notification for messages unread.

Maybe also separate the mods from different games, I remember that to modder FF8 not speaking very well the language I look for more than 3 days to have everything and I still do not have what I really want.

Embed an IRC Chat directly on the main page, and maybe an audio player to make you bored a little less by reading.

I do not know at all what is possible, but for me all this remains of the basic functionalities of a forum.

I hope to help a bit in the ideas :)

EDIT: And banners

« Last Edit: 2017-01-26 12:21:21 by jmp434 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2017-01-26 14:38:43 »
So, for me the aesthetics of the forum in general lack of color, it looks a bit dead ... It should give it a really specific style and pertaining to final fantasy, kind of small moogle in notification for messages unread.
I have considered this in the past, but making a decent theme is time-consuming and complicated. Moreso for SMF than for other boards. Between my day job, acting, and planning a wedding, I barely have any free time as it is, and I don't think any of the other site staff are interested in doing this.

Maybe also separate the mods from different games, I remember that to modder FF8 not speaking very well the language I look for more than 3 days to have everything and I still do not have what I really want.
I thought about this, but decided not to for a few reasons:
  • Some things, such as Aali's driver, support multiple games. Where would they be sorted?
  • We've got a lot of subforums already. Too many more would really overwhelm the site.

One idea I had was to add icons for the various games to the forums' thread icon set. You would tag each thread with what game it's for that way. But I gave up on this idea because I kept running into permissions errors on the forum upload. This is something that would need changed in the server, which I can't do myself.

Embed an IRC Chat directly on the main page
Not going to happen, too much work, and potentially annoying for people who aren't interested in it. We have a link to our IRC right in our forum list; that should be enough for anyone interested in it.

and maybe an audio player to make you bored a little less by reading.
Not going to happen, bad idea. If people want music, they can use their own audio players or open YouTube in another tab. For most people it would just make the site load slower, and waste our bandwidth.

EDIT: And banners
I'm not sure what kind of banners you mean. Like a site logo? That's something I would like to put on the forums, but simply haven't done.

jmp434

• https://www.paypal.me/jmp434
    • View Profile
    • Make a donation
« Reply #77 on: 2017-01-26 14:57:35 »
When I talk about banner, it is giving the possibility to create a presentation below its post I show you on ff7.fr what I did. It would be interesting for modders to do this kind of thing.

After yes a banner specific to the site of qhimm would be welcome also, I counted that in the "theme" of the site

http://ff7.fr/forum/index.php?page=affprofil&id=2690

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2017-01-26 16:41:45 »
a presentation below its post
Oh, I think you mean a signature! Yeah, that was disabled on purpose years ago. I don't remember why, but I'm sure we had a reason. I'll ask around about that.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2017-01-27 12:10:14 »
The mandatory FF tags are good idea. I noticed some bad behaviour here on board. Subjects tagged as:
[FF8] are for sure Final Fantasy VIII topic,
[FF7] are for sure Final Fantasy VII topic,
No tag is 90% Final Fantasy VII topic.
Once some user asked for something without adding tag and one of moderator? argued (maybe that's a little aggressive word) about not adding tag because other users don't know if it's FF7 or FF8 but if you look at the sub-forum, there are like 4-5 topics without tags about FF7 and mod didn't notice it. Yes, of course you can understand if it's related to the game by content as Sephiroth doesn't exist in FFIX for example, but at least one or two topics without tags I was unable to differ which game is it about. Let me post some examples:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17421.0 - no tag but clearly FFVII related

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17312.0 - limit breaks, there's word Tifa so VII related

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17296.0 - no single hint

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17370.0 - again, some words indicating VII

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16804.0 - no single hint at first sight

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=17036.0 - no tag, but the topic is about GFs and GFs are only in VIII

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=16796.0 - ;)

I cant find the topic I wrote about ....  :'(
« Last Edit: 2017-01-27 12:30:58 by Maki »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2017-01-27 17:11:59 »
Yeah, I added tags to the titles of topics on the release sections and put up guidelines for those, but haven't done any such thing for troubleshooting. I would still rather have it as thread icons; I even made icons for them. But the forum won't let me upload them, so unless Qhimm wants to get involved there's nothing I can do.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2017-01-27 18:36:57 »
What's happening to him anyway? Haven't seen him even once through whole my time here.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2017-01-27 18:50:28 »
What's happening to him anyway? Haven't seen him even once through whole my time here.
Life and being busy, last I heard. He pops onto the IRC once or twice a year, but typically only shows up on the forums if something goes horribly wrong that requires his intervention to fix, such as a failed SMF update or something.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2017-02-08 01:16:33 »
an SSL cert would be neat

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2017-02-08 06:58:46 »
People have enough trouble posting images as it is. An SSL cert would effectively block any image hosts that don't use HTTPS themselves, as it's not generally kosher to mix secure and insecure content.

faospark

• hell-o-world
    • View Profile
    • old me
« Reply #85 on: 2020-06-16 03:20:41 »
a modern forum theme would be nice

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2020-06-16 15:09:41 »
Actually, let's go ahead and start hearing suggestions to improve the forum. Unfortunately, themes isn't an option as qhimm is The only one with server access

we also may be looking to expand our administration team if anyone has nominees

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2020-06-16 15:14:10 »
I have been in contact with qhimm. Server access should be coming soon

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2020-06-16 16:45:59 »
hey

i have 1 suggestion, how about adding a pm sending limit on this board, would that be poissable at all

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2020-06-16 17:05:31 »
Not that I am aware of.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2020-06-16 17:10:42 »
hey staff

take a look at this link about pm sending limits https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Security_and_Moderation

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2020-06-16 18:09:08 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #92 on: 2020-06-16 19:15:49 »
Might I suggest more strict adherence to topic relevance? I believe a lot of the trolling and such could have been avoided if people had just stuck to discussion of the topic and not deviated into digging up past events or side projects. Personally, I see a lot of posts in the WM and PrC topics that ask more of how to do things with the tools (like asking for help on blocks of AI) rather than questions about the tools themselves. Such questions belong in their own topic.

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2020-06-16 21:00:41 »
I vote for the dark theme as well
« Last Edit: 2020-06-16 21:16:06 by Zara9 »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2020-06-16 21:14:47 »
If you manage to acquire the access you need to modernize the look, I'd vote for a dark theme!

Koby

• Beyond the Grave
    • View Profile
    • Kametsu
« Reply #95 on: 2020-06-16 21:31:38 »
+1 for a modern dark theme.

faospark

• hell-o-world
    • View Profile
    • old me
« Reply #96 on: 2020-06-18 09:31:50 »
kinda made my own dark mode via stylish.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #97 on: 2020-06-18 12:12:59 »
Who cares about a theme we need more important things.
1. Https
2. Fixed Wiki
3. Next Cloud instance.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2020-06-18 12:29:48 »
Already talked about getting the wiki back up and running (and maintained) since sl has some access to do that now.  Hopefully it won't take too long

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2020-06-18 12:47:03 »
Who cares about a theme we need more important things.
1. Https
Why?  Encryption fanbois (cough google cough) notwithstanding, what practical benefit does spending the money (and suffering the headaches of installing!) does HTTPS provide to a forum like this?