Author Topic: FF7 D3D bugged on 8800 GT  (Read 5189 times)

BloodShot

• View Profile
FF7 D3D bugged on 8800 GT
« on: 2009-02-10 22:47:45 »
OK, i got a problem here.

I recently reinstalled the old pc version of FF7 to install the mods, (Never really played it when i got it, always thought the psx version was superior) I got everything i need, the 1.02 patch, the fixes for minigames, and so on.

What i can't seem to figure out though is, when I use Direct3D as a rendering Device, and i put it on TNT, Some places are fine, but others have horrible polygons shooting out, (i think it might be part of the 3D landscape the areas are built upon bleeding through the 2D background.

The gold Saucer is a prime example of this:

It's hard to get a good screen of it, but ingame it flickers like crazy, (it's a little less harsh now, because I just got passed the Lifestream where cloud finds himself and the submarine part, and some people are gone.

I would love to play on D3D rendering, but this annoys the hell out of me (it seems to happen mainly in places with animated backgrounds, rather than stills) So i'm forced to play on software, but when i play on software, Countdown timers are slow, 2-3 seconds passing before 1 ingame second passes, makes it too easy.

I think the corruption is due to the fact that I have an 8800 GT video card, (could be wrong), because i upgraded from my old 6800 gt to play Crysis without my card overheating.

Is there any possible solution for this? or am I just an idiot, and I'm missing something important.

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 D3D bugged on 8800 GT
« Reply #1 on: 2009-02-11 09:13:50 »
Try drivers 177.79. May help.
I had similar issues with faulty drivers, but for Radeon.
« Last Edit: 2009-02-11 13:19:58 by hay »

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-02-11 23:49:55 »
I tried them, but they didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Any other ideas?

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #3 on: 2009-02-12 15:38:46 »
Try playing in Windows Vista... :(

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-02-12 17:24:40 »
It's really werid problem. Not sure how to help you. Maybe Saint's higher res patch will help. Either way, it's really cool mod if you support the resolution.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-02-12 22:41:06 »
I tried the hires patch a little while ago with the same problem, oh well, guess ill just have to play on software in 640x480, don't mind it because despite the low res, for this game it actually looks pretty clear on a 19" CRT monitor.

Moogie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-03-20 19:56:17 »
Hiya, I registered just to ask this question, and I figured this would be the best place to do it. Sorry, don't want to step on any toes... let me know if what I'm doing is bad etiquette. x) I just really would like some help, because I've been enduring graphical problems and crashes and don't know what else to do.

I am using a legit 4-disc version of FF7 for the PC
Full install (with movies copied onto hdd)
I have the 1.02 patch applied,
the Chocobo patch applied,
Battleswirlfix applied,
"Reasonable Difficulty" mod applied,
moviefix applied (though I didn't need it)...

erm, what else...? I think that's all. Oh, and I also use FF7Music (PSFs).

My system specs are as follows:

WinXP SP3
Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.33GHz
2GB low-latency RAM
NVidia 8800GT
80GB free hdd space

Now on to my problems... Firstly, I experience the same polygon glitches as bloodshot. But on top of this, sometimes the whole screen turns yellow, including all 3D models and menus, and lags up extremely badly when that happens. I usually have to dash to a savepoint and quit before it gets too bad.

Also, even though I have the battleswirlfix applied, my battleswirls are still super-fast, and sometimes I crash back to desktop when entering a battle. Something tells me this patch didn't work, but I've tried applying all patches multiple times in various orders, to no avail...

My last hope is that my graphics drivers may be at fault. I need to know if there is a solid stable driver I can try. Currently I am using 6.14.0011.8122 (according to DXDiag) dated 15th Jan 2009. I can't remember whether that's an official driver or not. :/

If any of this sounds familiar, or if anyone can offer some help... I'd really really appreciate it. Also, FF7Music crashes sooooooo much. :( It ruined the greatest scene for me yesterday (where Cloud 'finds himself' in the Lifestream) by freezing up so the whole cutscene was totally silent. Grrrrr.

Anyways, thanks guys. Have been a qhimm lurker for years, I love this place. :)

« Last Edit: 2009-03-20 20:15:25 by Moogie »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-03-22 11:21:08 »
The battleswirl should be fast, I can barely see it on my setup.

I have the "glitchy polygons" problem as described by bloodshot and the yellow textures problem with a 8600GTS card and 181.22 drivers, for now I just play software mode without hi-res patch.

FF7Music has never crashed on me though, perhaps you have a bad plugin.

Oh and next time ff7 crashes on you, write down the offset and module from the error report screen, this will (hopefully) make it possible to determine whats going on.

Claude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-04-04 15:54:22 »
I have the same problem, i have SainTs high res patch installed, chocobo patch, and NPCRP installed. The background tears up, reducing fps to 10-20, same happens when there's more than 3 models on screen, very choppy, and on occasion all the models turn yellow.  I have the latest drivers installed. I get to play for a few minutes before these problems appear, and it shouldn't be gfx card related, i haven't overclocked this, and my cooling is fine. Weird thing is that it this worked fine on vista, but when i rolled back to XP i started to have problems. This is annoying the hell out of me, any advice? Thanks alot.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
3 gigs of ram
Geforce 8800 GTX with 182.50
Windows XP 32-bit

When i rolled back to 175.16 the tearing stopped, but my models turned black or very dark, damn. help :(
« Last Edit: 2009-04-05 19:51:08 by Claude »