Author Topic: For those of you who don't know yet: Revision2 DLS is Up!  (Read 5033 times)

Goku7

• View Profile
Ok, this might be slightly redundant, but everyone probably hasn't been keeping track of the "Aaron's Server and FFSF" thread, so they might have missed the memo, so to speak. :P

Also, I figured that it would probably be better for feedback about this to be in a new thread (namely, this one) instead of in the "Aaron's Server" thread, where it would be off-topic.

Ok, on to the official announcement.  The Revision2 DLS update is FINALLY RELEASED!  And while I'm at it, the Improved Tracks patch, version 2.1, is also released!  However, the main description in my section on the download page hasn't been updated (I'm supposed to write it, but now my dad is getting power crazy and is threating to cut off my access to my computer, and therefore the internet if I do the slightest thing wrong.  Ack.), but the news page and all the download links are updated.

Now, remember, this is the first ever work I've done on the DLS side of things, so feedback is definitely wanted.  Also, The aim of this DLS is a compromise between download size (in recognition of you modem users out there who'd otherwise have to attempt the 29mb download of Samuel's DLS), and instrument quality.  I have replaced 2 (count 'em, TWO) samples in this DLS, the Overdriven Guitar and the French Horn.  Everything else is from the Original DLS, including the drums.  But, don't underestimate the effect on song quality these samples have.

However, simply just downloading and installing the Revision2 update won't fully utilize the potential of the update.  This is where the Improved Tracks v2.1 patch comes in.  The majority of the patch is optimized to take advantage of the new samples whenever possible while attempting to not stray too far from the PSX OST.  You'd probably see a big difference in how often the new samples are used in v2.1 compared to v2.02/v2.02a.  However, everything is still backward (or forward? :P) compatible with each other.

Note, though, that there may be a few volume issues on the FF9 mod with the overdriven guitar sample in the ending solo of the FF9 battle theme, since that hasn't been updated and the volume settings are assuming its using the relatively quieter Original DLS sample.

One last thing, of the greatest importance.  I've mentioned this before, but to give the Improved Tracks patch something to warrent people to use it in some places over the Samuel's DLS, I have "written" a new choir track in Griever's Theme (The Legendary Beast), that was "inspired" (for lack of a better word) by the strings tracks in the song.  If nothing else, I ask that you post feedback about that in the thread.

Ok, that's it!  Go get em, boys!  (er.........and girls, too!) :P

-edit-
Ack, I just come back from being held up at a doctor appointment and then being forced to watch some sports movie, and now I find out that in my haste to write about the release of the DLS, I forget to provide the link?

Geez, I must be losin' it! :roll:

Anyway, here's the short link.  It's actually the regular FFSF redirector URL that we've always used:

http://ffsf.cjb.net/

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
For those of you who don't know yet: Revision2 DLS is Up!
« Reply #1 on: 2002-10-24 23:00:33 »
lame question:
where from :)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #2 on: 2002-10-25 02:24:07 »
FFSF site.  I have yet to memorize the short URL, so...
http://www.vanguard.org/students/wpd2/kelleyaaron/hosting/ffsf/

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2002-10-25 22:09:46 »
I....just can't believe this.

Guys, in the Revision2 DLS readme file, I accidentally left out the legal stuff saying that Squaresoft/Yamaha own most of the DLS, they have the legal copyright, yada yada yada..... which means there's a possibility that some legal nut working for SquareSoft or Yamaha might get the idea to sue me.

Yes, for those of you who don't know, that would be a bad thing. :P

So, anyway, in an attempt to correct the situation, a new version of the DLS zip file will (hopefully) be uploaded to the site.  No, a change in the readme file really doesn't present a need to have a new version number, so the zip file will be identical to what's been currently up there, with the exception of the new, updated readme file that should now keep me arse out of the fire. ;)

Well, that's all FYI, I guess. :roll:

However, I still say, Let the feedback be posted! :D

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2002-10-26 18:00:03 »
Whoops, heh.  I'm uploading your new file now, it'll be done in about 20 seconds.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2002-10-26 21:56:49 »
Say, speaking of uploading stuff to my section, whatever happened to my 2 mp3s?  Weren't they going to be ziped and added as part of the mp3 demo section of my section?

(er, I think I need better wordage....."section of my section".... :roll:)

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2002-10-27 00:34:39 »
Err, yeah, forgot about those again.  Doing it now, should be up in less than half an hour :P

[Edit] Done.  Your section is getting kinda crowded, there... do you think we should split the FFIX mod and the Improved Tracks patch into seperate sections?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2002-10-28 00:15:08 »
Yeah, but I'll be PM'ing you with the details, since the thread is primarily for feedback on what I released, and going back and forth over site semantics would be going off-topic, slightly.