Author Topic: [FF7PC] Biturn - v.85  (Read 102274 times)

Mamoruanime

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #75 on: 2004-11-28 13:56:35 »
i'm still having no luck with the ase importers... same with a couple other people ive talked to about it :x...

what are you guys doing other then loading the plugin through 3dsmax6? I keep getting that "plugin not found" error when I have 3dsmax6 load asciiimp.dli, and its quite irritating XD

anyways, thanks for your time

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #76 on: 2004-11-29 11:17:23 »
Try getting Max5, I can tell you it works, i tried it. No idea about max6

Mamoruanime

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #77 on: 2004-11-29 20:40:58 »
cant find it (not to suggest i'm getting it any other way then purchasing it), which really sucks lol otherwise I woulda used it instead

mirex

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #78 on: 2004-11-30 11:01:02 »
Hmmm I'd suggest writing a question to some MAX users forums .... try asking for some good importers plugins. LWO or ASE would be good. But if they would suggest you some importer/exporter for other format with good capabilities, i could write an exporter for it to Biturn.

If it could do polygon color, vertex/point colours, textures, point texcoords, bones then it would be good.

-- my nostalgic rant --
This is why I started to write one separate convertor program (Biturn) instead of what everybody does, writing plugin importers. When you write importer for one program (MAX5 in this case) it becomes useless when that program goes out  of fashion.

TallgeeseIIII

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #79 on: 2004-12-01 18:33:12 »
can't go wrong with .3ds, and .wrl and .dxf aren't bad either.

Mamoruanime

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #80 on: 2004-12-03 21:11:06 »
I reckon I could convert each individual mesh to 3ds, rebuild the bones, replace textures, and repaint each vertex XD but thats quite tedius... ah well :-p alls well I guess

mirex

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #81 on: 2004-12-04 08:49:37 »
Quote from: TallgeeseIIII
can't go wrong with .3ds
3ds is definitely out, it does not support vertex colours, so battle models are looking very blocky

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #82 on: 2004-12-04 11:33:13 »
battle models look inanely bad in .3ds format...

not to mention that it doesnt support animations either, so if you could export animations with bitturn, they would be lost in the .3ds format.

strangely tho, i can model better than they could back then :O 2000 polies for models that are THAT undetailed....very very shoddy work...

Micky

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #83 on: 2004-12-04 14:22:57 »
I wrote an exporter once for Maya Ascii (.ma). Textures and vertex colours work fine, and animations are not a problem either. But I never got around to use the skeleton data and the first animation frame to get them looking correctly.
Alias has a free learning version of Maya available, if anyone is interested.

mirex

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #84 on: 2004-12-04 14:45:38 »
Micky: could you provide your maya exporter for max ? I'd like to export few  files and learn the format .... Is there also an maya ascii importer for max ?

sfx1999

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #85 on: 2004-12-04 17:40:43 »
Maybe you can make a texture generator for it.

Micky

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #86 on: 2004-12-04 19:38:20 »
Quote from: mirex
Is there also an maya ascii importer for max ?

I doubt it, as .ma (maya ascii) is a text version of .mb (maya binary). Both are a dump of the internal state of maya, so it is just a bunch of "createNode", "setAttr" and "connectAttr" instructions. You need to know quite a bit about maya internals to make use of it, but if you really want to I can see if I can get it into a releasable form.

[MAG]Cloud

FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #87 on: 2004-12-14 03:07:19 »
Will bitrun be able to extract the higher polly models any time soon?

SkriK

FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #88 on: 2005-01-01 19:50:25 »
Hello.
I'm a project Leader at Wc3campaigns.com which title is Final Fantasy VII,
feel free to visit Wc3Fantasy thread.
I haven't read all of these replies but i will.
I have no kind of skills concerning modeling or even texturing.
The thing i reacted on in this thred was a model pic on the first page posted by TallgeeseIIII, his cloud extraction, and i say the same thing: I could kill myself to se Cloud's Omnislash in that quality.
If anyone of you could make animations to an extracted model I would like you to do models for me.
I can't give you anything else than Credits.

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #89 on: 2005-01-01 20:56:14 »
hay, i replied in the wc3 thread as well, what your asking is illegal, you CAN NOT use the origional models from ff7 in your mod. the fact you are even making the ff7 storyline on a diferent platform will get you a C&D note. using their material will get you sued to hell and back.

TallgeeseIIII

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #90 on: 2005-01-03 12:14:53 »
have you ever done it? have you ever released a mod with content from a licensed game? because i have, and no such thing ever happened to me. maybe i was lucky, who knows, but i know for one thing they can't sue if you don't sell it, well, they can technically sue for anything but it would most likely end in a settlemtn to just stop what you're doing, which a simple cease and desist will do. which is of course entirely possible, the point is, even if you don't release it, or if you get a cease and desist, you're making the mod for yourself. most of the mods i do for games, i don't even release, i just make a model, use it in the game because i like it, and be done with it, bigger more complex mods i use for multiplayer with freinds and other stuff, so honestly, who the hell cares what the legal consequences are. they're not that bad, that is IF you even release it. the part we're dealing with here is the actual construction of the mod, that part doesn't hurt the creators of the original product, so why are you wasting your time telling these folks how much of a criminal they will be? i know, probably the same reason i'm wasting my time explaining this to you, to be annoying, right?

(i've delt with people with your attitude before, it's highly annoying, i assure you)

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #91 on: 2005-01-03 14:18:13 »
have you ever released a mod with content from a licensed game? because i have, and no such thing ever happened to me. maybe i was lucky

Yes. You had luck or the creators of the original game didn't find your mod or weren't interested.

but i know for one thing they can't sue if you don't sell it

Wrong. They can - you have used their material without their explicit permission, and this is illegal.
This can also be called as piracy, since their material is in your release.
Whether they're going to sue you or not - that's another story.

However, if you want to create a "bigger" mod, and you're expecting that many people will play it, you should think about creating the mod all by yourself.
1. You're not going to risk injuring copyright
2. You can take a look here to see what happens to you if you claim that you created everything by yourself...

- Alhexx

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #92 on: 2005-01-03 16:19:02 »
have you ever done it? have you ever released a mod with content from a licensed game? because i have, and no such thing ever happened to me. maybe i was lucky, who knows, but i know for one thing they can't sue if you don't sell it, well, they can technically sue for anything but it would most likely end in a settlemtn to just stop what you're doing, which a simple cease and desist will do. which is of course entirely possible, the point is, even if you don't release it, or if you get a cease and desist, you're making the mod for yourself. most of the mods i do for games, i don't even release, i just make a model, use it in the game because i like it, and be done with it, bigger more complex mods i use for multiplayer with freinds and other stuff, so honestly, who the hell cares what the legal consequences are. they're not that bad, that is IF you even release it. the part we're dealing with here is the actual construction of the mod, that part doesn't hurt the creators of the original product, so why are you wasting your time telling these folks how much of a criminal they will be? i know, probably the same reason i'm wasting my time explaining this to you, to be annoying, right?

(i've delt with people with your attitude before, it's highly annoying, i assure you)

people of my attitude? dude, im a semi-pro modeler, i get payed to model things for people under contract, and i can tell you i would be EXTREMELY pissed if i found someone was using something i made for the wrong purposes (since all the contracts ive been under have made the creation 50% my ownership due to creative rights, and 50% to the buyer for uhm...well paying for it haha) means that if the model is found outside of the origional contracts purposes, both myself and the buyer would be pissed.

second, if you create something, and then someone else claims its theres. that just makes me wanna go eat people... seriously, it makes me a very unhappy bunny.

TallgeeseIIII

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #93 on: 2005-01-04 04:09:55 »
alright, you guys are right, i don't know why i said all that but for sake of my pride i'm just going to say i'm sorry then end this. i don't really want to make anyone angry and i wrote this at school, a place i really didn't want to be at the time and iguess i was aggrivated about it, i apologize.

i'd also like to say congratulations on getting into the modelling business, i'm working on my modelling portfolio right now to get into art school so i can do the same thing, and you're right, i would be mad too if some punk stole my models and claimed them as his. (which i've never done so don't worry about it)

i don't know if you went to art school or not but i was also hoping you could give me some tips for this portfolio, i'm a senior in highschool right now and i'm already behind in applying, and i only have one completed model (i usually get halfway through one then get bored and move to a new one so i have a folder of about 20 incomplete models)

thanks guys, sorry once again.

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #94 on: 2005-01-04 04:50:40 »
no need for so many apologies in 1 post :P dude, im 19 im not IN the buisiness yet, i dont have a working portfolio right now either, people ask for my work, i show them. all i do is small contracts, usually for serious clans or people wanting to make a game from scratch.

if you only have 1 model, i would suggest basing your portfolio arround it, show 1 maybe 2 early work in progress shots of it. explain any difficulties you had with it, and how you overcame them. and show the final product (and it is a product, since you are trying to sell your skills). dont expect success right away.

post on the forums at www.3dtotal.com or www.polycount.com (sorry if you considder this advertising, but i think it would be a great help in this case).

the people on the polycount forums are all hardened pro's and i guarentee you will feel humbled by them, but keep going, they are nice guys, who help out all they can.

read lots of tutorials, you can never read enough, and use this resource site to practice making heads. use photoshop to draw your topology (polyflow) onto the faces, and then try to make your model the way you drew it...

thats all i can really advise :o

TallgeeseIIII

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #95 on: 2005-01-04 05:03:26 »
ha, thank you, yeah, i go to cgtalk.com's game art work in progress forums daily, i've only posted once and i never did finish the model, anyway, here's a pic of the single model, it has 10 1024x1024 maps, 5 diffuse, 5 bump, and 2 256x256 maps for the head ornament. it's about 11k polys, it's fully posable due to a rigged biped as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TallgeeseIIII/beauty.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TallgeeseIIII/mega-open.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TallgeeseIIII/back.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TallgeeseIIII/front.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TallgeeseIIII/mega-back.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TallgeeseIIII/mega-front.jpg

just incase you've never seen the Tallgeese 3 before, it's a model of this:

http://actionfiguresbygofigure.com/media/tallgeeseIII(archenemy).jpg

- Moderator Edit -
Okay, and once again...
If you have big images to post, just post links here and not the images themselves - your six images had an overall dimension of 800 x 3600 Pixels and were ~350kb in size - this is definately too much.
 - Alhexx

belmont717

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #96 on: 2005-01-21 21:06:10 »
Is this post about improving the FF7 models in the game?  I was reading the most of the posts and I'm not too sure.  I'm quite new here so please forgive my cluelessness.

TallgeeseIIII

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #97 on: 2005-01-22 05:23:42 »
no, sorry, it's about taking the models from teh game and putting them into a 3d format so they can be ported to other games, animations, higher quality renders, that sort of thing.

belmont717

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #98 on: 2005-01-22 18:56:37 »
Thanks for the heads up TallgeeseIIII.  For a moment there I thought the post was about improving the models for the game.  That would be soo cool if it was.   :D .

mirex

• View Profile
FF7 models to 3ds Max
« Reply #99 on: 2005-06-05 10:50:15 »
One guy called Simon Engledew has recompiled ASE plugin for 3ds Max 6, can you give it a try ?

http://mirex.mypage.sk/FILES/asciiimp_max6.rar

I also asked him if he can recompile it for 3ds Max 7, lets see if he can do it.