Author Topic: [WIP] Final Fantasy VII - Revised (Working Title) UPDATED 2/1  (Read 38924 times)

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII - Clever Hack Name Here
« Reply #25 on: 2009-01-21 20:52:22 »
Well, I would just like it to be noted that I am perfectly willing to help with this if Tsetra is willing to accept my help, I'll need a little bit of help getting started with the field code, but I'll pick it up and help.

There was also something else I had to note, but I forget what it was

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009-01-22 03:50:19 »
huh, thats really weird cause like i said, he was definitely on the floor on my old psx game, cause i always thought it was weird. Ill have to pull out my old ps1 disks....

I have 2 demo, japanese, english, internetional and pc version. Biggs was on floor only in very first demo. There was a lot of additional changes too. For example timer was set for 3 minutes instead of 10. And it was active only on field (you can fight in battle as long as you want).

Cupcake

• And then it dawned on me, that Satan is also an old fuck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-01-22 04:28:03 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOE341lN3WQ

I think we should re-implement some of the things in this video, like the text in the opening cinematic (as I recall, there was a demo that had the text over the cinematic, I don't have any demos, so I can't experiment as much as I would like), if I got my hands on a PSX demo, I could probably replace the opening cinematic, and some other things, but the issue there is that I just don't have the demo

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009-01-22 05:11:40 »
as to the text, i beleive it was just exposition to give demo players an idea of whats going on. that sort of thing isnt necessary in the full game.

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-01-28 06:23:02 »
Quick update, I've got the Seventh Heaven scene completely up and running now. Screenshots when I feel like dealing with 56k upload speeds.

I've seen that video, I had thought about adding it into my optional component for the new intro sequence, but all of that gets told anyhow later on. The "silent intro" where you have no idea what's going on at first I think is better and really draws the player in to wonder why you're there, so no words. Of course, nothing is stopping you from editing your own videos.

Tsetra

• View Profile
Big update, check the first page.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Awesome, I'm really looking forward to this. Mods like this really warrant a playthrough. Will you be reconstructing dialogue in some of the cloudy exposition sequences (explanation of reunion etc) and fixing typos, and otherwise polish up whats already there in addition to the expansions you're adding in?

Tsetra

• View Profile
Typos will be fixed, to be honest I'm not sure about how to tackle the script just yet as far as what needs explained better. As I continue to go through and add content I'll know what to do. I'd definitely like to place emphasis on a lot more things though so they are more memorable/easier to understand. The one thing you can be sure of is that when the game is over, the player will understand the game. I might not clean up all plot holes as I think they add to the mystique, but there are a lot of areas where the dialog is misleading and I will certainly clear those up.

Also guys, I'm very excited to announce that something I didn't think was possible, in fact, is possible and I cannot wait to show you guys the screenshots! You're going to f***ing LOVE this.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Absolutely love the idea of this project!

The last time I went through the PC game looking for them I counted no fewer than 12 typos. I can't remember where most of them are, but I remember that one of them was when you talk to the guy in the highwind about how to fly the highwind. He tells you that one of the buttons does two things when it doesn't.

Oh, and I vote against "Ogre Nix". That's a Woolsey translation (maybe he was sad at the lack of ogres in FFVI?) and was renamed "Organyx" in the GBA port.
A good pic of the Organics (and everyone's weapon) is located here: http://www.eternal-legend.com/ffvii/equip/sword.shtml. Yes, it does look like a sword + Axe combo so if you want to leave it "Ogre Nix" that's fine, but I never liked that since it was a sword. Don't change it on my account, though. :)

Tsetra

• View Profile
If someone who's got a better grasp of Japanese than myself and the sources I got that info from could properly translate the original and it comes up Organics, I'd be willing to reverse the decision on it. Also, a background of WHY it's Organics and if Woolsey's translation is relevant in the case of FFVII.

Also, turns out I'm having issues after all with that "impossible" feat. I'll find a way to make it work, but it's going to be tedious. Basically *sigh* I added completely new (nothing replaced) Materia into the game with completely new spells. That part is easy. The problem is, the spells don't work properly in the menus. Anything aside from certain values seems to default to Cure in the magic menu instead, causing issues. At first I thought maybe only spells originally put into the game could show in the Magic menu, but several of the summons can fit into it as well alongside the magic. I was HOPING to get the spells to use the attack values of 123, 124, and 125, and I'm hoping there's a way to somehow make the game recognize those as values. If not, with some work I might be able to shift a ton of attacks to add room for a few more spells. We'll see what happens.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
unfortunately my japanese is very rusty, though i intend to brush up and learn it well in coming time.

ogre nix just sounds weird imo.

kool stuff with the magic! what spells did you intend to add?

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
I'm not really bothered about the Ogre Nix translation, I'll be using my own kernel.bin2 anyway.

And if anyone else doesn't like it, just use Teioh to change it back!

Tsetra

• View Profile
Mostly just wanted:

Wind Materia: Aero, Aera, Aeraga
Water Materia: Water, Watera, Wateraga
Booster Materia: Increase AP gained by different percentages as materia level increases.

As you can see I'm using the later naming convention for spells. This will include enemy techniques so they too will be Blizzaga, Thundara, Aeraga, etc. for the ones who use actual spells. Depending on how frustrating this proves, the idea might take back burner until later. Booster will be a special materia you'll need to work hard to get. I gotta look at enemy info to make a decision on Water since I believe a lot of enemies have a weakness to it and this could prove to be cheap. Wind materia will probably be found in most places Earth materia is available. Assuming I get the spells in the materia to do what I want them to, of course. :) I'm not replacing any existing spells or materia.

In other news, I found a way to edit cargoin to include a dummied choice for Cloud. Meteor crashes when it attempts to open the file, but I found another way. More Jessie content.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Only four enemies are weak against water: Malboro, Ho-Chu, Wolfmeister and Iron Man

Tsetra

• View Profile
Only four enemies are weak against water: Malboro, Ho-Chu, Wolfmeister and Iron Man

Ah, well in that case, I guess you can expect it alongside the fire, lightning, and ice materia. Again, assuming I can actually get this to work.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
How would adding new materia work exactly?

For example, if you added a water materia and wind (that would be AMAZING!) would you have to create animations for them in battle? I realise that part comes after making room for them in the lists and all that, but is it really possible to put an entirely new spell in the game with new animations? Or would you use old animations?

If thats a really stupid question I apologise, I'm just really curious about it. It'd be amazing to have some new spells in the game.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
I made water and wind materia by replacing old materia and spells and using existing animations; a lot of enemies use wind and water attacks, so there are quite a few good ones out there (not to mention that there is already an Aero3 attack used by Rapps ;) ).
« Last Edit: 2009-02-03 10:54:41 by Leighos Kudistos Megistos »

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Wait, I want to know about the "more jessie content" previously stated. Jessie should've had more story. Heck she was in that scene with Biggs, when Aerith's mom was remembering waiting after the Wutai war for her husband. I sorta wanted her as a dating option for Cloud.

Tsetra

• View Profile
How would adding new materia work exactly?

For example, if you added a water materia and wind (that would be AMAZING!) would you have to create animations for them in battle? I realise that part comes after making room for them in the lists and all that, but is it really possible to put an entirely new spell in the game with new animations? Or would you use old animations?

If thats a really stupid question I apologise, I'm just really curious about it. It'd be amazing to have some new spells in the game.

No such thing as a stupid question.  :-)
There are plenty of dummy materia values so adding new materia itself is easy enough. What happens is, you can use WallMarket to change the dummy materia into something more useful, like a magic materia. Materia values are listed in hex. I, for example, am using 3F for my wind materia. Then I just assign it 3 attacks, one it starts with and two more it'll gain as it levels up. So then I go to those assigned attacks and get them to do what I want. In this case, three wind spells increasing in power. In a perfect world this would be the end of the work.
In game, you can equip the materia and it functions normally in the materia menu. When you attempt to use the magic menu though, instead of showing Aero as advertised, you get Cure, because if the spell is of a different value than the menu recognizes as a magic value, that's what it defaults to. I'm hoping, with help, I can fix that soon. The only other way would be to replace existing spells and there's no way I'm going to do that. I'm a terrible explainer, does this make sense?

furzball,
If you read through the topic you'll know I'm already restoring/have already restored much of Jessie's dialog. In this context, I meant that I was having issues opening the file "cargoin" in Meteor to add a choice you're supposed to have. Jessie will say "Thanks for helping me back there at the reactor" and jump away, but now after she says that Cloud will have the option of either saying "It's okay" or "Don't thank me". I won't explain the entire scene or a lot of Jessie's lines, but if it wasn't obvious Jessie had a crush on Cloud, it'll be a lot more obvious after playing through with all the new lines. 
Jessie might have been tossed around as a potential date for Cloud, in fact later she flat out hits on him and talks to Barret about bringing him along to Cosmo Canyon when they're all supposed to go. But the fact is that in the game she dies and I intent to keep it this way for "lore friendly" purposes. So she won't be an option.
As compensation... how do you feel about spicing up the date with Barret by making him wear his sailor outfit?  :lol:

Just kidding.

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
I'll stick with my version of switching barret out with Tifa and putting Cissnei in Tifa's spot ahthankyou (Austin Powers voice)

Barret in a sailor suit. Marshmellow man strikes again! Gwahahaha!

Though at some later time after Zack Project I'll try putting together a Jessie Character. Don't know how to implement her in game or by how much yet. Will look deeper into her lore. See if I can make a character that we can recruit and go on a date with.

Prince Lex

• View Profile
No, that was an excellent explanation and it makes sense. Its a shame its not as easy as it should be. I hope you find a way to pull it off, it'd be one of the coolest mods available. Water and wind magic are two of the major things that are missing for this game. At least, for the main characters to equip, anyway ^_^

Tsetra

• View Profile
Just an update, I'm back to playing hopscotch between FF7 and Morrowind. For this I've been rewriting some mistranslated/misleading script errors, and I'm working on a cutscene video.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Oh, on the "Ogre Nix" issue:

In Japanese, it was spelled OGANIKUSU. Which, if Romanjinized to an actual English word, becomes "Organics". However, as a Proper Noun, it could be anything you want. Ogre Nix would not be an inappropriate stretch of this word, depending on which syllable the stress fell upon.

DarkVenomandCarnage

• FUTILE EFFORT!
    • View Profile
So far this looks Great :-o ! can you do this for the PSX too?
Oh, and I would prefer Organics or Ogre Axe, Ogre Nix is too strange. Just Me though! :wink:

Klaid Liadon

• View Profile
Mostly just wanted:

Wind Materia: Aero, Aera, Aeraga
Water Materia: Water, Watera, Wateraga
Booster Materia: Increase AP gained by different percentages as materia level increases.

I suggest Aero, Aerora, Aeroga and Idro, Idrora, Idroga