Author Topic: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread  (Read 180210 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Field backgrounds/CG Cutscenes thread
« Reply #425 on: 2010-04-15 20:05:50 »
battle backgrounds work much differently, as they are realtime 3d scenes. For the most part, its just retexture work. Some experimenting has been done with these. The only modelling that could/should really be done is with objects in the scenes, such as the large crates in the reactors. the floors and sky models just need a texture upgrade.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: 2010-04-15 22:08:56 »
when i get a new laptop, i will probably throwdown on redoing the battle scenes. Most of them should be pretty easy, since the WMRP covers nearly every type of terrain your likely to find within the battle scenes. The others will have to be created by hand, but after creating what seemed like a million for the WMRP, that won't be such a large task.

Lee

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: 2010-04-16 04:36:23 »
well thers about 100 battle scenes :P have fun ^^

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 2010-04-16 12:51:41 »
the floors and sky models just need a texture upgrade.

Unless they are terribly aligned like this haha:
http://img84.imageshack.us/i/ff72009092113120596.png/

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: 2010-04-16 14:11:17 »
afaik, that was the artists' booboo, that scene should align okay.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 2010-04-16 22:28:39 »
well thers about 100 battle scenes :P have fun ^^
i know, i'd probably skim through and hit all of the organic scenes first, since those types of textures are easy. I had the same thought when i started the WMRP, but once i moved along i found many textures were near duplicates, and one texture could be substituted for multiple others. The sheer number of textures seems large, but once you get familiar with the naming system it gets a little easier. I was already doing some research on this before my laptop was stolen. Its all just a matter of when i can get a new PC, right now i stuck with an old macbook, which means no FF7 to test on.

lee

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #431 on: 2010-04-16 23:27:47 »
In my opinion, I think that because we can edit the meshes of the battle scenes, we definately should. I think retexturings, as good as they are, should really go along with a brand new mesh if possible, otherwise the textures will look a bit...out of place on the old models? Take this for example. However good the new textures may be, you'll never be able to get around the fact that that fence thing definately looks like a box with some transparency, and the bars look totally and completely 2D. The only exception is the WMRP, And this is because it's impossible to edit the model - I think it'd look way better with a nice new entire model for the whole map. Anyway, WMRP aside, I'd be against just adding new textures straight onto the old battle scenes, but that's just me.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: 2010-04-16 23:57:39 »
I've been messing around with some battle textures to try and make them look a bit better, but I'd really like to make use of Aali's new "direct" feature, instead of unpacking and repacking the lgp archives every time I want to test a frickin shinra floor! I don't know whether image2tex isn't converting properly or something, but with direct mode on and ovac.tex in the direct/battle/battle folder I can't seem to make it appear. Have I named it wrong?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 2010-04-17 00:19:48 »
I think you need to remove the tex from the end of the file?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 2010-04-17 04:58:08 »
In my opinion, I think that because we can edit the meshes of the battle scenes, we definately should. I think retexturings, as good as they are, should really go along with a brand new mesh if possible, otherwise the textures will look a bit...out of place on the old models? Take this for example. However good the new textures may be, you'll never be able to get around the fact that that fence thing definately looks like a box with some transparency, and the bars look totally and completely 2D. The only exception is the WMRP, And this is because it's impossible to edit the model - I think it'd look way better with a nice new entire model for the whole map. Anyway, WMRP aside, I'd be against just adding new textures straight onto the old battle scenes, but that's just me.

I whole heartedly agree with you. However, the two biggest textures in almost every scene, are the floor, and the skybox. The skybox is fine how it is, and the floor object I beleive has some animations involved with it (certain summons for example). The floor part could be wrong... but in most scenes the floor part is fine as a flat grid :P. Other things, such as the bars, and the reactor in that example, could do for a change.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 2010-04-17 05:59:58 »
while i agree that a remesh of the battle models would be great, it would be similar to the background re-modeling, in that it would increase the time it would take by at least x5. By retexturing, all the new materials would already be available for a modeler to come along and use those if they chose to remodel the scene. So time wouldn't be wasted IMHO, it would simply be ready to be remeshed without the trouble of retexturing, assuming the modeler kept the same offsets and sizes(which would be wise anyway.)

djkoopa

• View Profile
    • DJ Koopa Official Site
« Reply #436 on: 2010-04-28 18:18:12 »
Thought I'd post a few wip screens. This is my first time modelling anything so I'm learning from scratch (many thanks to Halkun's tutorial vids) so any feedback/tips anyone has I'd love to hear. I'm pretty much done with this one now, it's just the pipes that need doing (large and small) so I'll try and learn how to do those properly in the next few days

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: 2010-04-28 18:28:48 »
looks great! I'd insert the scene above it, and include that, as its the same place, you'll get a bit more reference as well.

djkoopa

• View Profile
    • DJ Koopa Official Site
« Reply #438 on: 2010-04-28 20:07:41 »
Yea I tried to do that the other day but had trouble getting it to line up. I think I need to look up how to do it properly then give it another go. If I can carry on at this rate hopefully I'll be able to get a decent number of backgrounds done (models anyway - texturing I'm not sure I have the artistic skills required!)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: 2010-04-28 20:08:24 »
Yea, work on getting the other scene in. Dont worry too much about textures, we can figure it out.

ScottMcTony

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: 2010-04-28 20:21:54 »
Yea I tried to do that the other day but had trouble getting it to line up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw4TDjjDYYE might be helpful. Or it could very likely not include anything you haven't already figured out, I dunno.

djkoopa

• View Profile
    • DJ Koopa Official Site
« Reply #441 on: 2010-04-28 23:00:10 »
Thanks for the link ScottMcTony - it was the sizing I was having trouble with so it should help. I'll have a play around with it tomorrow. How are you getting on with your modelling?

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #442 on: 2010-04-29 00:47:08 »
Just to let you know, you can make a tube using the "follow me" tool.

Here's a tutorial to make a doughnut. You don't have to make the line a circle but you can have it go from point A to point B..

http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=40985

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: 2010-05-03 23:01:42 »
Just a little update....

MD1_1:

MD1_2:

Hope you like it....

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: 2010-05-03 23:50:09 »
Just a little update....

MD1_1:

MD1_2:

Hope you like it....
Holy sh*t you did that!? I'm no expert but that looks much much better than the original. Good Work! ;D

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: 2010-05-04 00:04:22 »
Nice work! Should be in the bombing mission thread though

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: 2010-05-04 01:25:00 »
Awesome job!

Klaid Liadon

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: 2010-05-20 09:55:27 »
Great Job guys!

Sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: 2011-07-14 23:51:22 »
Are we still able to post in this thread?

If so.

Anyone wanna take a guess :P?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: 2011-07-15 01:21:13 »
I know that room! It's the armory, the one where you have to blow up the south wall so you can fight Revolver Ocelot :P