Author Topic: [SPOILERS] Star Wars Episode 7: Ticking All The Wrong Boxes [SPOILERS]  (Read 43987 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode 7: Ticking All The Wrong Boxes
« Reply #25 on: 2015-04-19 17:00:17 »
I dislike Sheldon because he insists that Physics is superior to Engineering disciplines. Engineering masterrace.

He gets called out on that a few times.  He also considers biologists to be at the bottom of the food chain but is made to look stupid later in the series because of it haha

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2015-04-19 20:26:25 »
pfff well I mean... come on. Bio undergrads don't even need to take differential equations half the time. How trustworthy could they possibly be

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2015-04-20 15:46:37 »
I discovered BBT just recently and I kinda like it. I watch it on tv sometimes so I don't know which season it is, but to me it seems to have far more potential than what it actually shows.
But I like the characters ( Leonard is cute ..lol ) and I don't find that the show is insulting or too much stereotypical, but rather done with some heart. The laughters are too pronounced though.

And about Fast 'n Furious 7... I mean, SW ep.7, well I'm the kind of nostalgic pessimistic person, but for reasons.
But come on, how do we call it now ? A light sword ? A multi-knife saber ? ..meh

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #28 on: 2015-04-21 10:28:26 »
I get these "vibes" too DLPB.

The really messed up thing about this is that STAR WARS don't need this kind of advertisement -or facecandy- to make a fuckload of money. It's freaking STAR WARS. Its box office success is already ensured. Sure, it's expected that it'll have a certain production value, but what they should focus on is setting, character, plot and story. You know, to not be the fiasco 1-3 was.

But, hey, there is a reason star wars has that box office security. It's partly (mostly) due to explosions and facecandy. No wonder investors and shareholders (if any) want them to appeal to as many (kids) as possible. More explosions and CGI = more £$¥€ from people who like explosions and CGI. And there is a lot of people who favour explosions and CGI over story. Who cares about being recognised as one of movie-history's marvels when we should focus on making as much £$¥€ as it's possible to make?

On a sidenote, the ewoks can also go... do something with themselves... The only "real" good star wars movie, imo, is 5... And the final scene with Luke vs Darth Vader (but that entails you know the rest of the stuff, so, shrug).

I could get into BBT, were it not for that in-your-face-obvious love interest and the "handsome", "kind-of-normal" nerd lead role. I get some laughs out of it though.
To be nitpicky, it's kinda the same joke told over and over. A real life situation taken to the nerd extreme.

One of my fav comedies is Curb Your Enthusiasm. It starts kinda slow but it gets funnier and funnier.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2015-04-21 11:04:33 »
According to what I've read, the toy industry is worth 3x more than the film is...  One of those links above is from one the guys who worked on Empire Strikes Back (he parted ways with Lucas due to creative differences)  and he explains that the appeal for toys and merchandise was a main factor in why Jedi had issues.  Jedi was still a very solid film, but that mindset and interference led to the crap prequels.  It's doing the same this time too.  Disney will actually make that issue a LOT worse.  When your toy industry can rake in more than the film, the film only has to tick certain boxes.  And with this film, it doesn't even need to do that... its name alone ensures massive revenue.  Have you seen the mindless Zombies out there that are "going to see it no matter what!"?   They are music to Disney's ears.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-21 16:48:27 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2015-04-22 11:02:14 »
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/chewbacca.png

This is another example. The new Chewbacca looks completely out of character (supposed to be a wild, aggressive creature), less realistic and well... more "Hollywood"  It just comes across as completely crap.  As for Han, I know everyone is having an orgasm over him being in the film, but seriously...  bringing back a character that old for ratings is a bad idea.  We loved the characters for what they were and this will just cock them up.  Lest we forget that other cash-in: Crystal Skull.   Han Solo is the kind of character that goes out with a bang before he is 35... not grow as old as a dinosaur still jumping about as if he were 21.

When I see that picture above, it ticks another "going to be a load of crap" box.

And, if you care about the Extended Universe (which I don't, but I can appreciate some do), then that's another slap in the face because Chewbacca is dead.
« Last Edit: 2015-04-22 11:07:23 by DLPB »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2015-04-23 04:02:14 »
because Chewbacca is dead.

Nooooooooo xD  seriously, what a joke x)
Maybe it's Chewie's soft-hearted cousin.. Cabbachew

And that guy, why did he do an Indiana Jones cosplay ?
« Last Edit: 2015-04-23 04:05:18 by White Wind »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2015-07-19 22:36:04 »
Wait a second, I think I see a pattern here.  Have you liked anything that's happened in the past 15 years? :P

I have revisited this in light of recent events.  I completed Breaking Bad today and it became the third show (I think third) to get a 10/10 score from me when considering the whole series (Fawlty Towers and Babylon 5 being the other two). So there is hope ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2015-12-19 20:36:33 »
And the result... a pile of shit.  I am so so so glad I didn't go and watch this.  I'm having a really good chuckle at the reviews and what my cousin said on the phone.  He went to watch it yesterday and even though I was drunk at the time and bored, I still wasn't swayed into giving up my money.  Shit in - shit out.  Like the FF7 remake will be too.

What was interesting is that I kept a good eye on IMDb and there were initially thousands of 10/10 ratings.  So obviously some people and some advertisers are clicking 10 before they've even seen it.  IMDB should make it so only reviews count towards rating.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-19 20:38:30 by DLPB »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2015-12-19 21:00:46 »
As a movie the film is pretty good. Get me right I can't say it's a good addition to the universe of SW. But it is much better as the strawberries they have produced before. Still the Kotor games do make better use of the SW setting.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-19 23:56:02 by Kaldarasha »

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2015-12-19 22:15:49 »
Saw it with my parents and even the most cynical reviewers I have seen have gave it a good rating.  They did not slam everything out the gate and saving alot for the other movies.  Well worth going to go see and the actors where great and alot of nice little nostalgia thrown in.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2015-12-19 23:41:55 »
Not a fan of disney since the corporate coup of the Disney family in the 80's, Eisner and Abrams are horrible Jewish supremacists/racists and the movie plot reads like a re-hash of episode IV. Usually don't like DLPBS harsh attitude toward things but in this case I understand it, Disney is the quintissential Square Enix/soft, used to be an amazing company now dominated/taken over by corporate interests which clash with customer interests.

Walt Disney is probably rolling in his grave.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-19 23:44:14 by olearyf2525 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2015-12-19 23:55:38 »
You do realize Eisner was ousted ten years ago after they all got sick of his direct to video sequels squandering brand loyalty, right?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Bukharin377

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2015-12-20 13:16:37 »
You haven't even watched it...? Perhaps do that before going all out on a rant insulting those who have and think it's a great movie.

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2015-12-20 13:31:03 »
Watched and like it. End of story for me :D
There is always room for improvement. Not everything in this movie is a 10 imo.

Nonetheless, i will be watching it for a second time tomorrow :)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2015-12-20 13:53:44 »
You haven't even watched it...? Perhaps do that before going all out on a rant insulting those who have and think it's a great movie.

Considering the complaints that have come back and the fact me and my cousin criticize the exact same aspects of films (CGI over substance, bad acting, grab for nostalgia, lack of originality, leftist propaganda, plot holes (there are dozens in this film), bad script, fan service)  - the answer to that is no.  And the smart people are the ones who don't go to watch something they are sure they'll hate.  Not hope it will be different and come back disappointed. The only reason my cousin went to watch it is because he was taking his friend's son.

I have read all the spoilers and imho everything about it from its feminist nonsense right through to its absolute mimicry of the originals (in numerous places) is pathetic.  I've seen and read enough material to form an opinion on it.  I didn't buy FF13 or any of the FF7 spin offs for the same reason - that's what reviews are there for.  What is the point of a review site if you don't then go and make a judgement based on them?  I fear some people have completely missed the point of what reviews and word of mouth are about - they are not solely to rant.

When I see things like this:

I'm so sad about this DUMB movie! It could have easily being a success, but unfortunately in the wrong hands everything can spoil. It was the same scenario as with The Hobbit franchise. They had it all, good and loved characters, money, time to make good and smart script, etc... However, they decided to go the modern way, the way of mighty CGI! Who needs brain, when we have CGI? Such a shame!

and this

Wow, I am in utter disbelief. I read multiple good reviews about this being 'back' and was actually optimistic about seeing this.. And we didn't even get an actual movie? What did I even just watch? I really don't even know, a bunch of blasters, a couple of random guys off the street with a lightsaber, a cgi demon leader, a bunch of explosions, and a bunch of flying.

There was no plot..

There was no dialogue..

There was no character development..

There was no explanation of the last 30 years..

Just random random random.

The whole movie went 100 miles per hour, I truthfully have never seen a movie so rushed and fast paced in a long time.

This movie I cannot believe isn't getting torn apart by the fans. I think fanboys are just way too devastated to accept/admit episode 7 was no less disappointing than the prequels and there may never be another true star wars continuance to the original trilogy masterpieces.

and

Have you heard of that concept called 'character development'? Don't expect to see it in this movie, because it isn't there. And neither is 'sense of humour', 'story plot', or 'acceptable acting'. Whoever cast Daisy Ridley as Rey and John Boyega as Finn must have been drunk at the time because they are both horrendous actors. Also, does anyone know what Finn's role was during the entire movie? I don't. The only thing you can expect from this movie is that the characters will express emotions that just don't feel natural in the slightest because not at one point does the script say, "Character is feeling emotion X because of event Y," - no, no, they just go: "Character is feeling emotion X. That's the end of it

It resonates with me.  When I see that repeated on review sites 100x... I skip the film.  :)

I am not telling you that you won't like it (unless you have high standards, like I do - or you are similar in taste), I am saying that I know I won't and that I consider it shit.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-20 14:32:24 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2015-12-20 14:28:35 »
It's a bit like Britney Spears or Justin Bieber.  I know that no matter what those two release, I won't like it.  I consider them intellectually bankrupt (thick as turd) and there's no chance I would ever be optimistic based on a number of factors.  The same goes for these cash-in sequels. But there are thousands of people out there who think Bieber is a genius.  What does that tell me?  We have an awful lot of silly people about.  But I am not one of 'em :)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2015-12-20 17:31:31 »
I know that no matter what those two release, I won't like it.  I consider them intellectually bankrupt (thick as turd) and there's no chance I would ever be optimistic based on a number of factors.  The same goes for these cash-in sequels.

I can only assume their reaction would be something like:

No, seriously, who cares?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

:mrgreen:

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2015-12-20 17:38:02 »
It's not confirmation bias when I can actually count the recent reviews and tell you that a huge number are against this remake (and it is pretty much a remake ;) )  In fact, looking at the recent posted reviews on imdb, it looks like the majority are negative.  Plus, I do read the 10/10 and other reviews also (but the 10/10 ones are mostly just saying "don't believe the haters" lmao) .

What the negative reviews are saying is being repeated thousands of times from people on forums and numerous review sites.  So I highly doubt they're all lying (especially regarding the dumb story and plot holes).  And my cousin certainly isn't.  So, I'd rather not go and watch something I know is a pile of crap (my personal opinion on this type of movie).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. 

« Last Edit: 2015-12-20 17:45:50 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2015-12-20 17:47:08 »
I can only assume their reaction would be something like:

I disagree.  I think they're actually laughing at people who fall for it as they roll around with their money ;)
« Last Edit: 2015-12-20 17:49:44 by DLPB »

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2015-12-20 17:58:56 »
I disagree.  I think they're actually laughing at people who fall for it as they roll around with their money ;)

Who cares. It's like everything else in life, some will love it, some will find it "ok" and some will hate it.
There is no pleasing everyone, ever. What's the big deal about it?
Oh and i totally missed this:

But there are thousands of people out there who think Bieber is a genius.  What does that tell me?  We have an awful lot of silly people about.  But I am not one of 'em :)

Really?  People are "silly" for having a musical taste different than yours? I'm a HUGE Heavy Metal & Rock fan and cannot stand the mainstream music nowadays but to go as far as saying "We have an awful lot of silly people" based on their musical taste and then claiming you are not one just because that's not your type of music... Sorry but, you're the one being silly.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-20 18:07:46 by -Ric- »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2015-12-20 18:18:46 »
It is objectively wrong to think he's a brilliant songwriter because he doesn't even write most of his own music. He gets it all from the studio, and just performs it.

He actually is a remarkably talented singer, and I think it's a shame he wastes it on the music he sings.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2015-12-20 18:43:54 »
It is objectively wrong to think he's a brilliant songwriter because he doesn't even write most of his own music. He gets it all from the studio, and just performs it.

He actually is a remarkably talented singer, and I think it's a shame he wastes it on the music he sings.

True, but that does not give anyone the right to call his fans "silly" just for... well, being his fans.  Or being fans of any other artist for that matter.