Author Topic: 'Knights of the Round' slowdown...  (Read 8810 times)

xeriouxi

• View Profile
'Knights of the Round' slowdown...
« on: 2003-08-28 21:26:35 »
Hi!

I have encountered ANOTHER problem with FFVII, in which when I summon 'Knights of the Round', before it says 'Ultimate End', it stops for about 1/2 seconds, and then resumes, with the music still playing. Anyone else got this problem?

xeriouxi.

(Oh, and P.S. Sorry, Alhexx, if I upset you about the source code stuff. I was wrong to try to edit other people's hard work... sorry)  :(

Synergy Blades

« Reply #1 on: 2003-08-28 22:44:42 »
I also get a momentary pause when summoning KotR, but didn't really take much notice of it. I just assumed it was the large amount of models that had to be loaded for the sequence, and that slowed it down slightly.

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, this isn't exactly a problem, just a 'thing' that happens when summoning KotR - or is this a problem which stops you from playing the game? If not, I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

iceydamo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-08-29 17:18:16 »
I have the same problem but the weird thing is that when I had my old pc which had 600MHz cerlon it didn'y have the pause then, but I had different graphics card then aswell I had the voodoo 4500 so it could depend on what gaphics card you have but I could be wrong.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-08-30 00:24:42 »
youll find that the caching logic of ff7pc isnt that smart, so it wont load all the models till there needed by the game, so when you summon KOTR and cloud/etc goes to summon them you will see a little pause as all the data is loaded into the memory/gfx card since it is NOW needed, glad they didnt do that on the psx, can you imagine the waiting :P

Rubicant_II

« Reply #4 on: 2003-08-30 20:56:22 »
Yeah, it's not an unique bug. It is a little annoying at first, but you get used to it. When you've beaten Ruby Weapon a few times using KOTR, the delay almost becomes unnoticable. Like it's part of the summon. The whole world stops, and then a bunch of idiots come out of nowhere twirling sharp sticks, swords, axes, etc.

As I have not said before: FF7PC is shite. If you wanna play it with no stupid crap, albeit the sketcy script situations, then play the playstation version. In that at least you won't have any incomatability, random crashes, pre-determined crashes (Hyper Jump crashes the game 50/50), whacky music if you have no psf's or soundfont support, and many other unmentionable POS errors. Here's a new one:

Contest: Can you spot where that screenshot is located on the world map?! PM me or place your guess here!

See? Get the playstation version. Rob a blind kid, get it for 2 cents at a garage sale, nab it in your trenchcoat at your local computer software store, or any other means of getting it. Do it now!

iceydamo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2003-08-30 21:26:30 »
one bad glitch but I think your near the cockobo ranch over the marches facing north (im a bad speller)

Rubicant_II

« Reply #6 on: 2003-08-30 23:00:57 »
You are...exactly right!!!

See that dark shadow? That's the zolom!!

You're right....last time I checked those birds weren't called cockobos  :lol:

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2003-08-30 23:29:39 »
Rubicant_II :isee:

What happened to Rubicant the First... is he dead? Is this his prodigal son or something?

Rubicant_II

« Reply #8 on: 2003-08-30 23:39:29 »
Same person...I'm just following along with ff4. Why bother? I don't know. It's just fun.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2003-08-31 09:39:11 »
Actually Im comtemplating which version to play :D
T incredibly slow pixelated and fairly brass sounding psx version.
or the Hi res anti alaised, XG sounding, excellent loading speed PC version.
Ive had problems with FF7 in the past, but now im using a 3dfx card its smooth sailing.
and the saving is a hell lot quicker.
only downside is you cant really go over to your cousins house and carry on playing :D

xeriouxi

• View Profile
One of the many mysteries of Final Fantasy VII...
« Reply #10 on: 2003-09-05 10:35:22 »
Hi!

I thought that it was funny that when i used 'Knights of the Round' on the final battle before the one-on-one with Sephiroth, 'Knights of the Round' worked without pausing...

Maybe it knows I get annoyed by the pause and delibrately does it...  :o

xeriouxi.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #11 on: 2003-09-05 20:49:02 »
Guess you can try putting the Direct Sound into Basic Acceleration, and see what happens. It may be a sound effect timing issue.

type dxdiag...and the go to the Sound tab.

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2003-09-06 18:00:50 »
I am getting annoyed by the constant get the psx version, I have heard the psx music and compared to the PC version with a good soundfont bank it's nothing special, and yes I have had a crash in Windows 2000 when playing this game which I then fixed using the patch, its a Windows 9x game meaning there will be issues in newer versions of windows as like all other 9x games.  FF7 on my pc doesn't crash in Windows XP and my sound is good, the minigames are fast but they are not a big part of the game anyway, to the guy who posted that screenshot earlier I suggest fixing your gfx card drivers because that is not the game at fault.

Rubicant_II

« Reply #13 on: 2003-09-06 23:11:07 »
Quote from: Chrysalis
to the guy who posted that screenshot earlier I suggest fixing your gfx card drivers because that is not the game at fault.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!

You know why that happened? I was alt-tabbing in and out of the game and suddenly all the textures went whack. Believe me, it got worse. Eventually, the entire game became white except for the 3d models because every time I would go "into" the airship, more things would get screwed up on the world map. Even the inside of the airship was pure white. That's the game's fault, not my video card drivers.

Also, I doubt that you are able to hear the voices in xp using the original soundfont. You'll have to use use a soundfont that fixes the songs in question to sound just right. Which I have made!

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2003-09-06 23:17:04 »
could you please share this soundfont it would be appreciated, sorry I came across a bit hard about the screenshot some games dont appreciate been dropped to the background so you are right about that.

Sephiroth2000

« Reply #15 on: 2003-09-23 22:09:16 »
I got the same problem with KOTR.Sadly,you just gotta live with it.Get FF7 for the PSX instead. :lol:

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2003-09-25 07:30:14 »
hmmm pc has the 1 pause on the kotr but I bet psx has many pauses when it has to load of the cd, whilst pc caches on hd(full installation)

or does the psx not pause when loading battle scenes etc?

Rubicant_II

« Reply #17 on: 2003-09-25 08:15:28 »
Not for battle scenes, but it does have to load for field scenes (out of battle). At least that's how I remember it. I played ff7 psx on a ps2 a LONG time ago, and I remember the transitions between field scenes being a bit slow. But I never saw any in-battle slowdowns.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #18 on: 2003-09-25 12:13:13 »
The PSX is very smart about loading info it needs in the battle scenes behind your back, so there are no pauses.  There are (sometimes huge) pauses between field scenes.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
I found out the problem...
« Reply #19 on: 2003-11-04 09:48:06 »
Hi!

I found out what the problem with it was. It had to buffer the ground scenery for when it bends down around the ring of light surrounding the enemy.  :D

xeriouxi.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2003-11-04 15:25:15 »
lol i could have told you that
the enemy has his positioned pin pointed, then theres a circular polygon placed underneath him, then the texture encompassing that circle is copied and mapped to the new circular polygon,
or maybe the just add new triangles to the floor mesh?
the worst slow downs can come from reading back video buffer to grab textures before they get on screen. eck