Author Topic: FF14 panned by critics and users  (Read 46420 times)

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Re: FF14 panned by critics and users
« Reply #25 on: 2010-10-10 22:22:55 »
I do not believe Tidus can be removed in the story mainly because he has lots of ties like his father being sin and he is being helped by Auron and his father and Auron and Yuna's father are friends. It adds little drama to the story so no Tidus just makes the game incomplete.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #26 on: 2010-10-11 00:12:57 »
Wtf is up with those huuuge eyes?

Big eyes are kawaii!

Azumanga Daioh... Good times, funny show!  ;D

In both 10 and 12, there are characters who are utterly pointless.

In 10 we have Tidus, despite being the primary player character he could actually be removed from the game with little effect, since the plot is actually about Yuna and her journey.

In 12 you could dispose of Vaan and Penelo because the game is more about Ashe and her story.

10, 12 and 13 were 3 of the worst JRPGs of the last 10 years...

You could in theory remove Tidus from 10 and still have story. The story wouldn't make much sense as it is now if you do however (or maybe make more sense  :-o). Annoying and wimpy as he is, it's still his f***ing story.

10, 12 and 13 worse than, lets say, Enchanted Arms? I haven't played 13 yet, but nooo...

I'm not understanding any this FF10 hate to be honest, there isn't a single character that doesn't have a really good story behind them. Fair enough, the voices were a bit hit and miss, but they'd never done voice acting in an FF before - you can't expect square, as good as they were, to have gotten everything 100% perfect the first time.

There were more miss than hit in this one. At least in the English version. And I don't think anyone were expecting 100% to be honest. It's still a valid effort.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2010-10-11 03:32:12 »
In both 10 and 12, there are characters who are utterly pointless.

In 10 we have Tidus, despite being the primary player character he could actually be removed from the game with little effect, since the plot is actually about Yuna and her journey.

While yes, vaan and penelo can utterly be removed from the story, I wouldn't quite say the same of tidus in ffx. You could take him out completely, and have a very similar game, perhaps better, perhaps not. Tidus did at least, have some effect on other characters, and allowed for the world of spira to be easily illustrated in a "fish out of water" style. He also provides some contrived inspiration for other characters, and plays into a somewhat insignificant romance plot.

vaan and penelo.... really do nothing for the plot. the extent of their involvement is vaan fucking everyone over numerous times by being a loudmouth, and penelo gets kidnapped, giving an excuse to have all the cast chase after her. after the first segment or so of the game... they cease being in most cutscenes... thats how important they are.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 2010-10-11 04:04:41 »
I wonder who would win the competetion of being the most hated and useless main character
The top 2 picks are definitely Tidus and Vaan, personally Vaan leading.
I mean seriously, what makes SQX think we want to play as some sort of overgrown vermin?
Thats not to say that MOST Final fantasy lead characters have their issues.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2010-10-11 12:06:05 »
I do not believe Tidus can be removed in the story mainly because he has lots of ties like his father being sin and he is being helped by Auron and his father and Auron and Yuna's father are friends. It adds little drama to the story so no Tidus just makes the game incomplete.

An incomplete game is better than a complete one with that whineyass bitch. I think that when FF6 fans call Cloud an emo, they're getting him mixed up with Tidus. Since both have spikey blond hair, it's easy to see how they might get confused.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2010-10-11 19:04:39 »
Removing Tidus still leaves about 99% of the plot intact, Jecht and Auron would still be linked, Jecht would still have been a Guardian, but yeah Tidus can easily be removed with little plot changes.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2010-10-12 07:18:32 »
Well, I tried the beta of FF XIV the best I could, and the only thing I really liked was the music. At least Nobuo still knows how to make something good.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2010-10-12 10:20:20 »
I would have tried XIV but then I read about the feature that starts reducing your XP gain after you played for a couple of hours until it hits 0, I think the only thing you can really do after that is either crafting or log out ans un-install the giant steaming turd of a game.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: 2010-10-12 14:33:28 »
I wonder who would win the competetion of being the most hated and useless main character
I mean seriously, what makes SQX think we want to play as some sort of overgrown vermin?

I wouldn't consider Vaan the main character in 12. He is ass much main character in 12 as Terra is in 6. I guess in each 6th FF there'll be difficulties pointing out a lead. Not counting MMOs of course.

I've heard people say Lost Odyssey is FF10 true follow-up. Well, in LO you you're half party is in theory useless to the plot, except for the parts they're introduced etc. FF6 got tons of "useless" characters. FF7 got some as well.

Tuxedo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2010-10-12 17:22:45 »
dun kill me for saying this but i actually liked XII a bit, i hated the story and the characters were... well lame, but i actually found myself enjoying battle and the amount of grinding i had to do to get 100 percent

No, I don't mind if other people like it, it's just not for me. I found the battle system too slow for me and the amount of grinding you had to do ridiculous. So, as I didn't like the gameplay and the story and characters couldn't compensate for it, I just... really didn't like it.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #35 on: 2010-10-13 10:17:37 »

I wouldn't consider Vaan the main character in 12. He is ass much main character in 12 as Terra is in 6. I guess in each 6th FF there'll be difficulties pointing out a lead. Not counting MMOs of course.

Generally, to me the main character is the character I start out with ( lets forget abotu Reks for a second here ) and which I have to look at in the field ( most of the time ) in battle ( most of the time ) and whose annoying personality I have to endure for most of the game. Vaan very much fits thats descriptions.
I will never forget SQX for taking away Basch's role as main character and giving it to the "player-can-relate-better-to" moron Vaan ( as it was stated, that was the reason they shifted the story from Basch to Vaan )
I've heard people say Lost Odyssey is FF10 true follow-up. Well, in LO you you're half party is in theory useless to the plot, except for the parts they're introduced etc. FF6 got tons of "useless" characters. FF7 got some as well.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2010-10-13 11:54:40 »
I wouldn't consider Vaan the main character in 12. He is ass

Agreed.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2010-10-13 20:00:46 »
Whether Terra is the main in FFVI is a subjective matter, true, but you still gotta admit she is the best suited character for the role. You can't remove Terra and have the same storyline, it's impossible. The entire World of Balance revolves around her, and she is an essential part of the ending credits. This is not the case about Vaan at all (the guy is 99% useless). That was some weird comparison, Joe. :?
« Last Edit: 2010-10-13 22:42:17 by Armorvil »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2010-10-14 15:59:48 »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: 2010-10-14 16:15:13 »
Whether Terra is the main in FFVI is a subjective matter, true, but you still gotta admit she is the best suited character for the role. You can't remove Terra and have the same storyline, it's impossible. The entire World of Balance revolves around her, and she is an essential part of the ending credits. This is not the case about Vaan at all (the guy is 99% useless). That was some weird comparison, Joe. :?

Yes I agree. The way I worded myself was supposed to be a joke :P. He is an ass of a character compared to Terra. Though some obviously are worthy the title more than others, I still don't consider anyone a main character in 6 or 12.

And to stay on topic: FF14 sucks...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2010-10-17 19:53:59 »
Oh dear, oh dear. Things aren't looking very good for Squeenix

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/final-fantasy-xiv-online

I had some lulz reading through the user reviews and seeing all the shills and butthurt fanboys giving it a ten. Even most of them didn't seem very impressed with it; it was obvious they were exaggerating their score just to bump up the average.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #41 on: 2010-10-18 04:56:53 »
Look at the cover...i just wanna ask that guy, "Who the **** are you, and what association do you have with Final Fantasy?"  I mean, i thought some recent characters in the series were pretty generic, but that guy doesn't look cool or unique at all.  WHy would i wanna play this game?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2010-10-18 06:44:06 »
It follows in the grand tradition of horribly bland American boxarts. I bet the Japanese box looks a lot nicer.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #43 on: 2010-10-18 06:59:12 »

I don't know if this is what the Japanese boxart looks like, but even though it looks nicer, I don't think it will make up for how poor the game appears to be.  It might sell more copies becuase it looks nicer though heh.

On a side note, that 'horsebird' we heard about...I think this is it. What has this world come to?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 2010-10-18 19:09:21 »
this is reaching new levels of disappointing

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2010-10-18 21:42:00 »
Next, they're going to remove cactaurs and tonberries. and then it won't even be final fantasy anymore.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2010-10-18 21:45:57 »
Next, they're going to remove cactaurs and tonberries. and then it won't even be final fantasy anymore.

Final Fantasy hasn't been Final Fantasy for a long time.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2010-10-19 01:21:30 »

Sad but true.  It is FF in name only these days.  And does anyone here know why they are called Tonberry?  The japanese does suggest ton and berry...

I have never understood the name.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #48 on: 2010-10-19 02:57:09 »

Sad but true.  It is FF in name only these days.  And does anyone here know why they are called Tonberry?  The japanese does suggest ton and berry...

I have never understood the name.

While I kinda agree, I wouldn't rush statements like this. Who decides what a true FF is? The fans? Then who are the fans? The ones who likes the true FFs?? Who has the right to decide? Is it an objective observer, the developers, the creators... Or is it decided by gameplay and/or design. In that case, one could argue that FF4 isn't a true FF.</unnecessary philosophy>

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2010-10-19 03:25:58 »
It isn't a true Final Fantasy game to the fans who've been following the series, and have become attached to the earlier games.  Because FFXIV is so different (and so bad), many would argue that it isn't a true Final Fantasy game because it seems to deviate so far from Final Fantasy tradition.