Author Topic: PSX Emulator (FAO Jari, Dag & Friends)  (Read 98615 times)

NightStar

• View Profile
PSX Emulator (FAO Jari, Dag & Friends)
« Reply #25 on: 2001-01-18 21:39:00 »
The last I heard, FFX will be only on the PS2...  One reason (Unless a PS2 emu comes out!) I will eventually get one!!!

(Hopefully this will be WRONG, and they might see sense and release the game on other platforms too...)

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #26 on: 2001-01-18 22:09:00 »
A PSX2 emulator would be VERY hard to do (I would say impossible except nothing is impossible) because the PSX2 is fundamentally different from a PC in the design.

The PSX2 has a sickly fast bus (the thing that transfer stuff between memory, CPU, DCD, video card etc.). You can't really compare the speed of the PSX2 bus with the PC bus. On the other hand, the PSX2 have 4 MB of graphics memory in total!

On a PC, you usually download all the textures to the memory of your graphics card when the game starts, and use them the rest of the time. On the PSX2, the textures will be pumped over the main system bus each time the textures are needed. There is no way the PC is going to be able to do that. So basically, any emulation would involve rewriting the entire game automatically on the fly...

« Reply #27 on: 2001-01-19 01:53:00 »
Hmmm, read any good PS2 docs lately?  :wink: Yes, that does seem to be a serious problem for today's PCs. However, I wouldn't be surprised if in 2/3 years it becomes much more feasible.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2001-01-19 02:37:00 »
no one could have thought abour DDR ram 1-2 years ago, people were talking about softFSB and how to overclock your cpu. i would not bet agaisnt a sudden sewrve in pc technology, someone (like nvidia did) will whisk in a new technology and the rest fo the competition will have to copy or die (ie 3dfx). pc breakthroughs are a hard call in some areas (graphics,storage,etc)(unlike cpus). but my current spec barely emulates psx and n64, unless a bleem!/ultraHLE comes out for ps2 theres no chance for my pc  :(

« Reply #29 on: 2001-01-19 16:51:00 »
Poor boy. We're in the same boat at the moment. The annoying thing is that one of my siblings just went off to college and got a new top of the line PC, and I can't even use it. I'm sure once current emulator frontiers are conquered (N64, PSX, Saturn, Dreamcast, and even some of the ones that are well along, like NES/SNES) coders will be looking for their next challenge. The PS2 certainly seems a worthy adversary. I wonder if there will one day be emulators for the Gamecube/Xbox...
Well, if I get a higher paying job, I'll be able to eventually buy a new high-end computer. But that might not happen 'til summer.  :( I hope that new technology gets here quick.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2001-01-19 09:30:00 »
I really would count on the fact that the PSX2 is not possible to emulate.
Not too long ago many people thought the PSX was impossible/difficult to emulate. When someone actually made a breakthrough(bleem), the scene really exploded with several versions of emulators and the PSX emulation scene seems to pretty good compatibility. We might not need new hardware, sometimes it just depends on someone thinking of a way to do something in a different and special way that no one has thought of before. Do you get where I'm going?

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #31 on: 2001-01-19 10:15:00 »
Man i think i am gonna ditch the PS2.. my friend @ Software Etc. told me that he thought FFX wuz coming out for X-box.. and if you check the stats of the X-Box you find it has 64 Mb of videoram.. 64! no  lie and a 733 mhz processor.. although i dont know the chipset it is intel.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2001-01-19 12:28:00 »
I think there's no way FF X ( at least Japanese version ) will come out for X-Box, because the console ain't even out yet before the game released. Probably US version will have X-Box release, but the chances are slim.

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2001-01-19 12:42:00 »
Ummm....PS2, again. The code for programming games for PS2 is called SonyPS2x. It is a VERY tough programming language that I think not even Qhimm can master. Even the person in Square who knows the most about it is STILL debugging the game. As for X-Box, It supports most programming languages including XGame++(XBox Game languange), C++, Delphi, Visual Basic?! SonyPsx(PSX Programming Language) SaturnV(Sega saturn) Dream128(Dreamcast) and Cube128(Nintendo's Cube) I'm not sure about this but one of my collegues at Square received this news. FFX will be on X-Box and on PS2.

J*** H*******

« Reply #34 on: 2001-01-19 14:56:00 »
Message.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 2001-01-19 16:38:00 »
Dag Sverre: Hear hear. Remember, the original PS only had a 33MHz RISC and that wasn't bad ... the PS2 *is* a damn good console. Lacking games so far, but don't most new releases? Think about it; PSX had Tomb Raider 1 early on. Compare that to TR3 or whatever the latest one is ... quite an improvement, ne? PS2 could very probably improve a lot, in the same way (and it doesn't look bad even now!). It takes time before developers can use the full potential of a system.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2001-01-19 18:45:00 »

Ummm....PS2, again. The code for programming games for PS2 is called SonyPS2x. It is a VERY tough programming language that I think not even Qhimm can master. Even the person in Square who knows the most about it is STILL debugging the game. As for X-Box, It supports most programming languages including XGame++(XBox Game languange), C++, Delphi, Visual Basic?! SonyPsx(PSX Programming Language) SaturnV(Sega saturn) Dream128(Dreamcast) and Cube128(Nintendo's Cube) I'm not sure about this but one of my collegues at Square received this news. FFX will be on X-Box and on PS2.

Get your fact right. PS games are coded in C/C++ language with customized headers on a Unix platform. PS2 are the same way too, they use C/C++ ( again with customized headers ) as programming language on a Unix-based PS2 development kit. The problem is that Sony don't give the headers files source code to developers, instead opting to intergrate everything on that development kit, so the developers have to read the documentation instead to see what that particular header files do and make decisions on try-and-error and experimintation ( typo? ) basis. So it'll be quite some time before the developers really master the PS2 console programming ( probably in 2 or 3 years ).

And no such thing as SonyPSx or SonyPS2x language ( unless you want to call that modified C/C++ language with that name ). That's bullshit. For a side note, X-Box programming is easy, as it's based on DirectX 8 and use standard C++. About Dreamcast or Gamecube, I don't know though. I know there's Malaysians who works for Square, but I don't think they ( Square) would hire a 15-years-old kid, no matter how efficient he/she is on programming. 15-years-old kid should sit for their PMR, not debugging games for Square. That's too early.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2001-01-19 19:05:00 »
cHiBiMaRuKo is right, but even if it was not written in C or C++, all programming languages are more or less roughly the same and easy to use. Of course I mean high level languages. The main point of a programming language is to make programming as close as possible to a spoken language. That's why high level programming languages need compilers or interpreters to convert them to binary. If you're talking about difficult then the most difficult thing to program in is of course binary.

« Reply #38 on: 2001-01-19 20:29:00 »
The SaiNt: I get what you're saying about PS2 emulation. I agree. Most programming languages aren't really *that* different.

Joey: Does someone feed you this stuff all day, or do you just think it all up?

Jari Huttunen: re: the Truth in Advertising. I agree. Everyone thinks Nintendo's machine is inferior because they seem to be providing honest specs.

Ficedula: True. FF8PSX was a graphical improvement over FF7PSX, and FF9PSx was a graphical improvement over FF8PSX. And I think that all of the Tomb Raiders after the first sucked.

cHiBiMaRuKo: Thanks for saving someone else the trouble.  :wink:

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #39 on: 2001-01-19 21:13:00 »
Yes, all languages are roughly the same. However, the hardware vary MUCH between PSX2 and the PC. It's a totally different concept. Which is why, many people find it hard to code for it. They need to start thinking in a completely different way.

The 64MB of the XBox matters nothing! With a good programmer the PSX2 will be able to produce much better and faster graphics with the 4MB memory in it. I would predict that in the beginning the XBox will have better GFX, then, as the programmers begin to master the PSX2, it will catch up. At least there's still a way out of Micro$oft-infested products...

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2001-01-19 21:23:00 »
Yea agred A few years ago atempted psx emulation was laugable now its just dificult.

And Im not gonna get dream weaver any time soon so could some one give me a good place to start out a web page?

« Reply #41 on: 2001-01-19 21:36:00 »
Dag Sverre: True. However, the thing about the PS2 catching up. Won't the games for the X-Box similarly improve as the programmers begin to master the X-Box? My understanding is that the X-Box and PS2 are fundementally different in how they operate. The PS2 is, as you said, designed to constantly pump all of its data through its supercharged BUS. The X-Box, on the other hand, is basically one of Bill Gates' PCs except the OS is completely stripped down to provide only the required features for the platform. (Isn't optimization code also added?) Everything else is taken out. Isn't this how they can achieve a quick boot-up time?

Sir Canealot: As in html help?
  http://www.dencity.com/html/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dencity.com/html/   helped me out when I was getting started.

[This message has been edited by Srethron Askvelhtnod (edited January 19, 2001).]

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2001-01-20 05:42:00 »
What? It is also done on C++? Guess he's lying again. I think I'll belive cHiBiMaRoKo instead. One more thing about this PS2 is that it is not cost wise and that it will shrink your bank account unless you are really rich like my friend who works at Square. (Here's something very funny, while the guys were testing FFX on PS2, the game's bug made it do something like a virus which thrashed up 2 date, 3 PS2s!. The screenshots were made just before the game crashed!!!) Another secret about GameShark that I found: A code can make PSX to write on a CD ROM. My friend entered the wrong code and the PSX asked him weather he wants format his CD ROM. He says he forgot the code.) Bye!!!!!  

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2001-01-20 05:59:00 »
you know i dont think im gonna anwer that joey. PSX with cd-r capabilities. no youre in cloud koko land  :D

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2001-01-20 06:51:00 »
If a PSX had CD Writer Capabilities, then you could be in big trouble. The PSX was made to be as user friendly as possible, that's exactly why they make consoles in the first place. Since you can actually open the playstation lid while it's on, you could actually get the laser for burning CD's to hit you right in the face. I don't think Sony would even take such a risk. Honestly, Joey, you are either extremely gullible or you just seem to percieve things in a different way that your friend at Square says.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2001-01-20 12:16:00 »
One PS2 development kit cost US 10000. Cheap for a game company like Square and Electronic Arts who raked millions from game sales. But I've heard that Microsoft give X-Box development kit for free to developers.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2001-01-20 17:09:00 »
Will I need HTML for a decent web page?
Since It will most likely be a web page naging at square to relece FFIX for the pc
I will need a guest book type thing for people to sign ect ect. That about it. I dont really want to do any thing fancy as a start. Just some information on Final Fantasy IX and the pention its self. Dunno where I will take it from there though.

The Skillster

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2001-01-20 21:28:00 »
x-box dev kit will simply be directX8/9 SDK on cdrom. and maybe a testing platform.
while psx/ps2 is a complete libary/compilar/tools/platform and licensing tools thus the price.

« Reply #48 on: 2001-01-21 16:39:00 »
Sir Canealot: You probably will. For things like a guestbook, try a free service. For instance, http://htmlgear.lycos.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://htmlgear.lycos.com/  I'm not necessarily recommending them, but there's tons of services like theirs around.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2001-02-12 20:48:00 »
The proccessor on the PS2 is a lot faster than clock speeds indicate but the X-box will still be a faster console. This is in part due to the X-boxs hardware compression/decompression. Every game has to be decompressed into a memory buffer before it is played ( I think) The X-box uses a hardware compression chip that does not eat up the cpu whereas the ps2 uses a software decompression which eats up the cpu. Also the ps2 has a cpu and two vector graphics units which work together , but the problem is that it is extremely difficult to program all at once some most developers just use 1 vector graphics unit and the cpu the xbox, however,just has one cpu and processor and so is easier to program for. this means that until late in the ps2's life the console is unlikely to fulfil its ful potential. I think the rest of it has already been mentioned.
   Also just for the same reasons the game cube is more powerful than than the ps2 and every bit as powerful as the x box.