Author Topic: PSX Emulator (FAO Jari, Dag & Friends)  (Read 98027 times)

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
PSX Emulator (FAO Jari, Dag & Friends)
« Reply #50 on: 2001-02-13 11:02:00 »
Actually In order of Clock speed i believe it goes PS2 Game Cube X-BoX.. In a mag i picked up it had hella stats on all the leading ones.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2001-02-18 02:06:00 »
Yes but the clock speed doesnt account for anything, its like a 400mh g3 proccesor in an apple has the same speed as a 650mhz p3. Its got extra cache so is speedier. Or for example a 450k6-3 has the equivelent p1 rating of 631mhz.

StrayWings

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2001-02-18 14:18:00 »
wow...MOT, you are quite wise at those tech stuff...

Well, I guess everyone needs to at least learn SOMETHING on tech subjects..

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2001-02-18 14:29:00 »
Awwwwwwwwwww Shucks,
 still i wish i knew how to program though.

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2001-02-20 12:51:00 »
Well. I said X Box was better. By the way, how did ya know the stuff?

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2001-02-20 15:45:00 »
The X-box of course is technicaly speaking better than the ps2 and similar to the gamecube, what remains to be seen is whether the x-box will get  many large companies on its side.
I just kinda pick this stuff up, I'm a resevoir for seemingly useless info.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2001-02-20 16:13:00 »
Theres 150 publishers/developers that ahve signed up to develop for the X-Box.
Thats quite a few!

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2001-02-20 20:03:00 »
I just got the emulator and am prietty impressed but I dont really know how to configure it all to run the best on my computer. So any help would be appreciated. If you wanna know my specs they are:
600 Mhz AMD Duron
128 meg ram
800x600 screen
32 meg Vipper 3d graphics card

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2001-02-21 17:11:00 »
Emulator for what? You mean ePSXe?

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2001-02-21 19:21:00 »
They have the publishers but since they haven't sent out the final developement kits they dont have any 'proper games' yet.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2001-02-22 00:15:00 »
If you are talking about ePSXe the you just have to work it out for yourself, different games require different setups and quite a lot of the time people with similar system specs have to use completely different setups, its totaly odd, theres no continuity, FOR GODS SAKES ITS A CONSPIRICY!!!
Sorry I have just always wanted to write that.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2001-02-22 16:24:00 »
Oh right!  :-?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #62 on: 2001-02-22 19:20:00 »
Yeah, I've set up ePSXe on three computers so far... two for FF9, and one for my friend who wants to be able to play any game he wants without touching the settings...

Anyway, about the consoles, I've looked at the tech stuff and features and whatever, it looks to me like (technically speaking) X-Box comes out on top, Gamecube slightly under and PS2 below that.  The main question though is what console will end up with the best games and best developers.  Maybe price is also a question... I hear Gamecube will be out for $200?  PS2 was $300 and there are rumors about the X-Box being as high as $500...  You can even pre-order it from someplace now for $499.95.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: 2001-02-22 21:09:00 »
My money's on PS2. Why? It's out *now*, and you can buy it over the counter (at least here in the UK). It's got backwards-compatibility with PSX games (OK; so the XBox might have Dreamcast compatibility; evens it out at best), DVD playback (so have the others; again, even so far), broadband expansion possibility, etc.

All of these features are present in the other consoles (Gamecube/XBox) but the PS2 is here already. The PSX dropped in price pretty fast, so by the time the XBox sees the light of day it'll probably be 3X the price of a PS2, if not more, and there'll be lots of games out for the PS2. Same goes for the gamecube. The N64 crashed and burned as far as I'm concerned because it came out at exactly the wrong time - lots of PSX games available, and PS2 on the horizon. Could happen again.

Just my 2c.

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #64 on: 2001-02-22 21:50:00 »

Dag Sverre: True. However, the thing about the PS2 catching up. Won't the games for the X-Box similarly improve as the programmers begin to master the X-Box?

Nope, because the programmers will master the X-Box from the very first day, they already know how to program PC games.

I agree with Ficedula. My bet is on the P2.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2001-02-22 23:59:00 »
The problem is that games companies dont want to have to spend time mastering a system and spending because of it, they want a cheap easy alternative ( Which is why the N64 really failed- it didn't get 3rd party backing because it was too  hard to develop for. Gamecube and X-box are a lot easier to develop for than a ps2 so are more likely to succeed. The release date of a console doesn't matter too much because if it is realeased with another only a year or two off the developer is not gonna not release games for the new console as the time they spend not releasing games costs them money.
This time round though its a closer race than before with the psx and n64, by the time the gamcube is out developers will be getting the hang of the ps2 and when the xbox is out the will be be pretty much know it alls. The main problem with the thing is that the ps2 is hard to develop for and developers are lazy (square for example) in the end they are gonna go with the easiest system. And if you dont believe me, the snes was a really good system but the n64 failed because it wasn't as good and nintendo relied to heavily on the developers making games for the n64 on the reputation of the snes which is basically what sony has done with the ps2 but it is working to an extent because their system is out first and its gonna be a year ahead by the time the gamecube is out and the xbox is gonna be a year and half behind.

If you havent been bothered to read what i just wrote DEVELOPERS ARE LAZY and probably WON'T GO WITH THE PS2 once the EASIER systems are out.
Also in regard to specs the ps2 has to repeat render images 8 times to get the same affect as the xbox and gamecube so unless sony gets a kit to the developers they are not gonna be too motivated to develop for it. (Like at the beggining of this thread no one would make an emulator or plugins because it was a bit hard and would take too much time).
Speedwise at the moment the gamecube ranks the best because:
developers have reported 20 000 000 polygons per second in a game environment.
PS2 developers are a bit lazy and have only made games that use 3 000 000 polygons per second
Microsoft havent sent any final development kits out because they are still finalising them so there are no games to report pps rates for.
I seem to have been sat here for a while writting this so i am gonna have to go and play ff9 because i want to see how much better it gets.

Joey

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2001-02-23 10:44:00 »
Well, my bet is on Xbox coz it has amazing rendering capbilities compared with PS2. It is also compatible with older television screens while PS2 requires a more 'mordern' television to work properly, according to a mag that I read. Well, Xbox does have DirectX 8/9, and Microsoft claims that it can emulate 3DFX cards, according to what my friend from Square told me and FF9PC is waiting for that. Well, I think that's why FF9 isn't out yet. Another thing that ponders me is that when will someone make an emulator for PS2 and Xbox. Well, I shouldn't blabber too much in case that someone gets mad with me and thinks that I'm talking crap........... :roll:

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2001-02-23 13:57:00 »
Release date *does* matter. If it was only a year or less difference, maybe not but there's no way that's all it's gonna be. PS2 is out now, and has been for quite some time even here in the UK. It's already been out for nearly a year in some other countries (when was the release date in Japan?). XBox doesn't even have a development kit. Do you think it'll be out any time soon? I don't think so. Anybody who wants a high-end console within the next year will *have* to buy a PS2. Beyond that, like I said before, the XBox will probably be triple the price of a PS2 when it comes out, and on release date will have far fewer games. Guaranteed to fail? No, but I'd be surprised if it "beat" the PS2.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2001-02-23 16:43:00 »
Your forgetting the gamecube which is gonna be only a year and a few months behind is gonna cost $200 and has already got a good launch lineup.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2001-02-23 16:49:00 »
Also what is most likely to happen is people will buy two of the next gen consoles, at the moment most of the games that are gonna be released on the xbox are also gonna be released on the ps2 so you choose between those two and i am dead set on getting a gamecube(most of america and japan are as well) because its got some really good launch date titles, i'm just hoping that this time there will be some 3rd party support.
btw In america the n64 did not fail as it did in europe and japan because there were a lot of ppl buying it and its games because they were sequals to really good games on the snes.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2001-02-23 17:00:00 »
Also just had a thought, if people buy the new gameboy, and lets face it there hasn't really been anything that has taken off as much in the handheld world, people will have an incentive to get the gmecube because you could be sneaky and allow attachments that allow you to do certain things on the gamecube that you couldn't do with just the gameboy.
Also with the economy in boom at the moment and the time difference between each console it is likely that people would buy all 3.
BTW i have interviewed ppl in my class at school and only 2 ppl have the ps2, 5 ppl want the ps2 (2 of these want it for its backwards compatibility and its dvd only, even though they both have psxs and 1 of them has 2 dvd players), 1 person wants an xbox, 10 ppl dont know what an xbox is, 8 ppl want a gamecube, 10 ppl wouldn't answer and 5 didn't want to commit to a console until they were all out ( "I'm gonna wait and see" was common).
I want a gamecube and am very interested in the prospect of an x-box but not a ps2. Plus the ps2 adverts they have shown ( about 3!) are really quite freaky and offputting.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2001-02-23 17:23:00 »
I would bet on the PS2.
Why?
Simple, the PS2 is platform that has backwards compatiblity so it already has a market waiting for it eventhough developers don't develop for it yet.

The PS2 also is released "now" and that makes a difference. Besides, when Sony actually manages to provide enough PS2's for the market, the "latent" buyers will flood the market and with such a vast market the PS2 will surely win the X-Box

I remember someone saying that the programmers are lazy, right? Although the PC platform has a wide range of games and fantastic graphics, a lot of people still stick to the pixelated PS platform. Why? Ease of use and no such thing as big bugs. When programming the X-box, the same problem and attitude will apply thus causing the X-box to be failure. You might say the only reason PC programmes have big bugs is because PC's have many different hardware configs. True, but when Microsoft is in charge they will surely bring in all their stupid stuff like "DirectX 9.0 for X-box!" updates and programmers have to update their software and knowledge while X-box users have to make update to their bios of firmware. If that is the case, will the programmers ever master anything???

Look at it this way....
Eventhough Microsoft is a giant in the PC software industry, Sony itself is a giant in the gaming and electronics industry. So lets say money goes into marketing, who do you think will win? The X-box is made of components that are done by multiple companies so not much of the profit goes to Microsoft. For Sony, most but not all of the components are done by Sony themselves so most of the revenue goes to Sony. This also makes them become less dependant on suppliers.

So, what's the final verdict?
The PS2 will be a sure winner but only time will tell the fate of the X-Box. The X-Box has a chance of winning over the PS2 only if Microsoft plays its cards properly. But looking at Microsoft's performance lately, it really looks unlikely.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2001-02-23 17:28:00 »
MOT where do you come from?
If I asked one of my classes most would tell me to shut up the ones that didnt tell me to shut up would say PS2 and the few of them that achally have any brains in there skull would say PS2 but are intrested in GameCube/X-Box.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2001-02-23 17:36:00 »
Damn you, SaiNt!

I read that post just before lunch ... thought I'd eat ... then I come back to find out you've said everything I was going to.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2001-02-23 18:45:00 »
The saint: At the momemt every console sony are making is at a loss as if they were to sell it at cost price it would be too expensive, Microsoft has more money than sony and microsoft makes its profits from the games. Each game produced has the os on it with the xbox so every game produced means the developers pay royalties to microsoft factor in the cost of liscensing then they make a larger profit per game than sony. Also if there were big bugs with the x-box (which is unlikely) who would buy the console? it has to have no bugs or then people wouldn't buy it or the games. And since every xbox has the same hardware that couldn't be the source of faults. And even if microsoft did directx 9 for xbox the updates would be built into the os that comes with every game so you could theroetically use games that use different directx versions alternatly e.g 8-9-8-9-8 because it doesn't make a difference if the directx version is compatible with the existing firmware(Which is more likely- they need to make this console sell to get some more money to line gates pocket)
Sir Canealot: I live in london and we ask these type of questions when its raining and we have nothing better to do(at least twice a week). The reason not as many ppl want a ps2 as you think (an as I think) is because they have been reading a lot about bugs with the saving syatem in some games and because it costs to much (my school is full of economists). I'd consider getting one when the price comes down and they dont have any bugs on it. Also most people I asked said it looks like a pile of s**t, my personal view is that:
The xbox looks like an oversized vcr
The ps2 looks like a cheap electric heater
The Gamecube looks like a tissue box
I wonder if they ever thought people would be impressed by tissue boxes oversized vcrs and Cheap electric heaters?
BTW does anyone else find tht the psx, Ps2& N64 controllers are too small the only ones that are the right size are dreamcast and the xbox (japanese claimed the controllers were to big- shame on them for being a nation with small hands), The gamecube controllers look too small for my sister who is 10 and extremely small.

Wait a minute- Just saw the begging of the saints post(yes sometimes i read backwards)- whats the point of buying a next gen console if you are gonna play all the games that you have already played and probably completed on the psx. Also in about 6 months time there will hardly be any psx games left so that market will be gone. Is it me or did i go into a shop and see only 10 ps2 games? if it is true then there would be a danger of what happened to the n64 in japan happening to the ps2 (They took the consoles back because they completed all the launch titles) Although the games are bigger so it would take longer so more time to get games out.
    I will always use my pc more than a console because it is kept sufficiently updated that i never get big bugs.