Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2 News  (Read 124403 times)

ultima espio

• View Profile
Final Fantasy XIII-2 News
« on: 2011-01-13 12:52:17 »
Square Enix have just registered a domain name for FF13 2.

A domain name for Final Fantasy XIII-2 has been registered, it has been revealed.

The web address was issued by a company who previously registered domains for several Square Enix properties, according to UFFSite.net.

It is speculated that an announcement could be made at the firm's Japanese showcase next week.

Last year Square Enix refused to rule out the possibility of a direct sequel to the game.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a297655/square-enix-registers-ffxiii-2-domain.html
« Last Edit: 2011-09-12 13:42:33 by ultima espio »

yoshi314

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-13 13:54:36 »
ff13 is mediocre, at best. very linear and very boring. i still don't understand why nobody noticed that during development.

why, of all games, do the sequel to that one?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-13 17:54:02 »
Because like X, it's mediocre, at best. Very linear, and very boring.*

You said it yourself.

*Actually, I'm a huge fan of CTB and the pared-down battle system. But I couldn't resist a pop at X's 'hold forward, win game' trappings

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-13 18:08:03 »
I loved the story in XIII, and I loved the battle system. If they can make a sequel that's less linear, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-13 18:46:47 »
People with your opinion are the minority
From a objective point of view, ff13 wasn't good.
Not anywhere near good.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-13 18:50:54 »
I loved the story in XIII, and I loved the battle system. If they can make a sequel that's less linear, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

This.

This time they shouldn't run into the problems that they had before. With the original FF13, they didn't communicate with each other, so they didn't decide on a lot of things until 2009 when they released the demo.

People complain that FF13 was Linear, but so was FFX, and nobody complains about that.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-13 18:57:05 »
but so was FFX, and nobody complains about that.

I do, hated FFX.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-13 22:30:58 »
I for one, loved XIII.

I don't really care for the lack of exploration.

I usually play jrpg's for their stories and having it on rails certainly allows a company to control its story very well.

And FFXIII's story was very good.  It's battle system too.  So I loved the game.

On the opposite, hated FFXII.  Too much sidequesting that ended up watering down the story.  And the fact that the story became crap as soon as we entered that king's tomb didn't help.

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-14 13:59:44 »
so was FFX, and nobody complains about that.
Everyone on this whole damn forum complains about X, which I think is a shame because personally I don't see anything wrong with it at all, and I certainly don't see how it's linear in any sense of the word.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-14 17:07:02 »
lmao, squareenix are killing this franchise.  XIII was a dumbed down piece of rubbish, and now they make YET ANOTHER sequel.  How many more cash ins can this company possibly sustain?

Who remembers the time when we got 1 good FF game every so often?  Now we have spin offs all over the place.  FFX was a great game, FFX-2 was a joke.  This will carry on so long as the fickle fanbase provide revenue.

Personally I will not buy another FF game or any SEnix game until they have changed their ways.  Which may be never.  Not to mention I sold my PS3 anyway on the back of all these lousy graphic fests.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-14 17:08:40 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-14 18:29:52 »
lmao, squareenix are killing this franchise.  XIII was a dumbed down piece of rubbish, and now they make YET ANOTHER sequel.  How many more cash ins can this company possibly sustain?

Who remembers the time when we got 1 good FF game every so often?  Now we have spin offs all over the place.  FFX was a great game, FFX-2 was a joke.  This will carry on so long as the fickle fanbase provide revenue.

Personally I will not buy another FF game or any SEnix game until they have changed their ways.  Which may be never.  Not to mention I sold my PS3 anyway on the back of all these lousy graphic fests.
Don't be so fast to judge here. XIII-2 could be an attempt to solve XIII's biggest flaws. It could also be a new name for Versus XIII. We really don't know yet.

Of course, it could also be a piece of crap about pop singers wandering around doing nothing. We just have to wait and see.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-14 23:13:54 »
No.  The mindset is completely wrong.  I will have nothing to do with it :)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-15 01:46:06 »
lol FF have been a £$€ machine for a long time. When the last, "true", FF was is a matter of opinion, but one must be ignorant to not see the $) in sqeenix's face the latest 10 years.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-15 02:34:44 »
off topic, but speaking of squeenix... did anyone else hear they have the rights to the newest incarnation of the deus ex franchise

*cries*

previews look awesome....but so did the previews for deus ex 2 and 90% of the game turned out to be a snooze fest
« Last Edit: 2011-01-15 02:38:21 by pyrozen »

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-01-15 06:20:26 »
off topic, but speaking of squeenix... did anyone else hear they have the rights to the newest incarnation of the deus ex franchise

*cries*

previews look awesome....but so did the previews for deus ex 2 and 90% of the game turned out to be a snooze fest

actually eidos has the rights to deus ex since they were t5he original ip creators.

se bought them out a year or 2 ago.

It's actually being developped in Montreal and the previews look awesome but last time I saw a preview, it was all CG which is worrying.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 2011-01-15 11:33:02 »
This topic could be renamed intio "horrible news for the gaming scene"
or rather "horrible news for people with taste"
fits too.
FF13 was bad. as for people asking how FF10 was linear...
seriously?
You basically go in a straight line from one map to another, like in FF13. I dont remember all of it but it was
go through area 10 -> reach area 11 -> reach area 12 -> reach area 13
and so on. some stuff like the silent plains had the extra cave with yojimbo but thats about it. The actual story is as linear as a goddamn arrow.

FeliX Leonhart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-01-15 19:04:08 »
Bought Xbox 360 for FFXIII. Waited two years for FFXIII. Got FFXIII just after the release. Never played FXIII....

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-01-15 19:13:12 »
fits too.
FF13 was bad.
Again, I point out that this could just as easily be a solution to most of XIII's problems, rather than a rehash of them. Admittedly, a number of people didn't like the story or characters (understandably so, since Lightning and Hope were both whiny bitches, though I personally liked the story anyway), but the battle system was stellar, and if XIII-2 manages to fix the linearity (which should be more feasible than it was the first time around for various reasons) then I'll be all over it.

I'm reserving judgment until the thing's actually out. I don't have particularly high hopes for it, but I"m not going to assume it's bad either.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-01-15 19:20:58 »
This might just be Square's way of making up for the problems in the original FF13.

Besides, they've only bought a Domain name. They may cancel the project altogether. Square are having a conference on Tuesday, so we might get an official announcement.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 2011-01-15 20:11:09 »
fits too.
FF13 was bad.
Again, I point out that this could just as easily be a solution to most of XIII's problems, rather than a rehash of them. Admittedly, a number of people didn't like the story or characters (understandably so, since Lightning and Hope were both whiny b*tches, though I personally liked the story anyway), but the battle system was stellar, and if XIII-2 manages to fix the linearity (which should be more feasible than it was the first time around for various reasons) then I'll be all over it.

I'm reserving judgment until the thing's actually out. I don't have particularly high hopes for it, but I"m not going to assume it's bad either.

FFX-2 was a profit despite how terrible it was. At least that's what I recall.
And as opposed to 'lol square will fix it to make it a good game'
the scenario of
'square is going to launch a sequel to ride on the fanboy sales because people will buy anything as long as final fantasy is written on it'

my bet lies in slaughtering the horse, making some profit and then going back to making games that will make them even richer

BlitzNCS

• Master of nothing in particular
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #20 on: 2011-01-15 20:32:34 »
You basically go in a straight line from one map to another, like in FF13. I dont remember all of it but it was
go through area 10 -> reach area 11 -> reach area 12 -> reach area 13
and so on. some stuff like the silent plains had the extra cave with yojimbo but thats about it. The actual story is as linear as a goddamn arrow.
But that's not true at all, most field maps I can think of have several entrances/exits, and many even have lots of routes in the same map. Obviously the plot dictates that you have to go to specific places one after the other, but half of my memory of FFX involves running around a towns going to different places. Granted, it's not as free-roaming as the PSX FF's were, but linear is definately not a word I'd use to describe it. Guess I'm on my own here though

Shankifer

• Jack of all trades - Master of none!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: 2011-01-16 01:03:52 »
Okay, so call me an idiot or whatever, but the reason I hate FF13 is because it's so damn confusing.

I literally just sat down and tried to play it after a few months of not playing. The scenery is gorgeous and all but sometimes I haven't a clue where to go. I could see though, a guidebook could solve that problem. My biggest beef is with the weapon leveling system. If you don't go online and research, you will waste tons of Exp and Credits. Its ridiculous. I really don't like the Paradigm thing but I got over that. I probably just suck at leveling my characters, but the battles are hard as hell for me. When I lose battles to mutated oozing flowers I get a little disappointed. It takes forever to try to grind so that you can beat some of the bigger guys and get more Credits/Items to level up your weapons with. Sure you could probably follow the storyline and not worry about all that but then it is as all you are saying, just too linear. The game would be great if it were more user-friendly. There are just too many scenarios that they don't prepare you for in the tutorials. Too much of the game must be researched to experience.

I'm planning on taking mine back just because it pisses me off to the point where I just can't get anywhere. I feel like I don't even have to finish the game to experience the ending. I'm sure if I watched all the cinematics I would fully grasp the plot and how it unfolds.

The 11th mission is the worst, you get thrown a bunch of different instructions and tutorials, then unleashed. Complete suck. Final Fantasy 13 is a fail, for me anyway. People who are more adept at games like this have my congratulations.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-01-16 02:47:47 »
fits too.
FF13 was bad.
Again, I point out that this could just as easily be a solution to most of XIII's problems, rather than a rehash of them. Admittedly, a number of people didn't like the story or characters (understandably so, since Lightning and Hope were both whiny b*tches, though I personally liked the story anyway), but the battle system was stellar, and if XIII-2 manages to fix the linearity (which should be more feasible than it was the first time around for various reasons) then I'll be all over it.

FFX-2 was a profit despite how terrible it was. At least that's what I recall.
And as opposed to 'lol square will fix it to make it a good game'
the scenario of
'square is going to launch a sequel to ride on the fanboy sales because people will buy anything as long as final fantasy is written on it'

my bet lies in slaughtering the horse, making some profit and then going back to making games that will make them even richer

spot on.  It makes them profit and these days that's ALL they care about.  The fanbase are getting what they deserve but unfortunately they are taking the rest of us down in the sinking Titanic.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-01-16 17:57:22 »
I have a question to people who disliked FFXIII .

What past FF is your favorite ?  What did you like the best about it ?  What made it better than the others ?

Same question can be asked for people who did like FFXIII.

I'll start.

My favorite FF is probably FF4.  I really loved its story where a man doing evil against his better judgment turns around and reforms itself.  It also had lots of humorous touches (I played FF4 hardtype on a ROM so it most was likely a fan translation - it had the bit about Captain Kirk when confronting the king).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-01-16 23:52:17 »
What past FF is your favorite ?  What did you like the best about it ?  What made it better than the others ?

Past faves:  FF7,8,9,10 and to a lesser extent 6

Reasons: 

choose who is in your party,

choose to do many side quests that are not just more battles

do puzzles sometimes

hunt for best weapons that you have a good chance of getting without the need for a guide

Miniquests that are fun and to find new secret areas

world map in 6,7,8,9

Use Summons in battle that actually help you out, and in X, use the summons as new battle characters.

Return to all areas of game, often for more quests or Monster hunts. 

Traditional towns that break up the monotony

choose options in battle which are fully customised

select all allies in battle

use enemy skills or other game play elements in battle

Story and character development which is decent and for the most part well written

There are far more points to make but to sum it up, 6,7,8,9,10 are light years ahead of 12 and 13.  The newer Final Fantasy games take choice away from you, they take gameplay away from you and they have lazy storytelling and graphics as a substitute for intelligent game design.

These are not good things.  They are game flaws.  Serious ones.