Author Topic: FF7 PSX pre-rendered backgrounds to replacing the ones of FF7 PC version?  (Read 79763 times)

Roxas

• View Profile
    • ReBoot Revival
I cant see the pics :(

Hm, maybe imageshack.us was down when you tried to load? Well, since I can't seem to find a way to register with the host you're using, I'll try..... *googles*.... imgur.

Original:
http://i.imgur.com/JGjwp.png

frivol's resize:
http://i.imgur.com/jhPxF.jpg

frivol

• View Profile
Hm, maybe imageshack.us was down when you tried to load? Well, since I can't seem to find a way to register with the host you're using, I'll try..... *googles*.... imgur.

Thank you Roxas I can see the pics now!! Yea definitely the one I edited looks too artificial.

Hi guys, sorry for the wait, I had a lot of work!  :cry: Well after a lot of attemps to do a good editing on the first background, I think the best choice is to use the original one (at least in this case), since this background looks much closer in game and it does not look too good, maybe if I do some minor editing on the original backaground (without resize) I can get a better result, but idk, I´m gonna try that now.

Here the old  background files anyway (with fractal resize and fractals sharpener only)

(pls tell me guys if it looks good for you cos I do not like it a bit tbh :D)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VPJ0IMGC

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Frivol, not sure what drugs you are taking but that fractal one is perfect.  Aside from graphical issues that kranmer just showed me, like when you try to go into train theres a line there.

But its a massive improvement.  Use that one on all the backgrounds.  If it looks a tad crappy like light does (such as in shin ra building), edit it a little.

I am afraid hoping for anything better is futile.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-03 00:44:53 by DLPB »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
I recently came across a program that uses a Super resolution algorithm for resizing and whatnot. Looked promising, but unfortunately did not work as it reads EXIF data on the camera used to do some calculations. Perhaps if we could do a little copy paste of EXIF from an actual image it may work, not sure. Cannot remember the program off hand.

frivol

• View Profile
Frivol, not sure what drugs you are taking but that fractal one is perfect.  Aside from graphical issues that kranmer just showed me, like when you try to go into train theres a line there.

Haha well yea, maybe I'm a little paranoid, I guess I was expecting a better result but yea it is not that terrible after all, also I think the other backgrounds will look much better after some editing and resizing work on them.

Iwill keep you posted on the progress!

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2011-03-03 22:01:56 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 11:30:38 by Jenova's Witness »

frivol

• View Profile
I´m using photoshop cs3 with plugins: Perfect Resize and Noise Ninja.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Well this is what ive got, some tweaking might be doable.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
@sl That is the best so far by lightyears.  It looks fucking spectacular.  Can you post an in-game image?

Timber

• View Profile
Looks pretty good sl :D
I think we need to have a thread showing a whole variety of resizing methods for easy comparison.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I cant test this as my laptop has no working audio device, so i present this for someone to test for me.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NBOHHR67

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
So do I timber, I will supply mine soon enough.  Sl's is impressive.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
SL, whatever edge enhancement you have used has introduced noticeable ringing artifacts throughout the image:

(make sure to view fullsize)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile

frivol

• View Profile
I can´t see any pic!!  :'( :'( :'( May any of you upload the files so I can see them in game?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Uh, I already did.

frivol

• View Profile
True sorry! Did not see the link

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
I just scaled the full picture here with same filter and resize as before, slightly less sharpening:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2155/98884374.png

To be quite honest I don't see how it can get much better than that.  It is true to the original but sharper.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-06 00:05:00 by DLPB »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am still not sold on the fractals/perfect resize. I see too much blotchyness (if that is a word). I am still going to work on a few things to see what can be done.

edit: Round 2

I really think this one has potential.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-06 02:36:14 by sl1982 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Not much different to one of my others back there, but yes, I do think perfect resize is the way and it does not get much better than that...

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
using genuine fractals with  few edits on top would give pretty good results.  It can be made to work with the originals to increase the size but the will to do that is not there.

People are instead attempting to remake every background from scratch, can that be done?  I dunno if it will be.  I would much rather someone use fractals on the backgrounds and update the game in 3 months than wait 4 years for a 25% finished abandoned mod.

completely agreed. actually I would love to give this a shot. I am working on some field models but I should be able to do a couple backrounds without too much hassle. Might take a while by myself but I'll work on it consistently. I've worked with fractal resizing a bit in the past. I already have photoshop but what's the best program for genuine fractal resizing? Would it be this one you've all been talking about or is there perhaps one I could purchase that would be better? I'll do some research on it and if I find something that works I'll post some pics. Also have any of you before heard of liquid resizing technique, from what I understand its fairly new but basically it is to resize an image to a different aspect ratio without causing distortion or stretching, so if you could combine liquid resize first and then genuine fractals and some touch ups. You could have hd resolutions textures with minimal distortion. Won't be perfect but I'll give it a shot.

*edit* Okay so I guess the developers of this new technique called seam carving/seam removal were working on a program called Liquid Resize to implement this new resizing technique and the program was recently purchased by the same company that makes Perfect Resize, there is no beta or anything like that yet but it sounds very promising. Could have some amazing results when it is released. However I was able to find a GIMP plugin that supposedly uses the seam carving algorithm, so I'll be giving that a try when i have some time. Probably won't be as great as what OnOne Software is working on but its definately a good start. Here's hoping!
« Last Edit: 2011-03-06 12:59:46 by yarLson »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Not much different to one of my others back there, but yes, I do think perfect resize is the way and it does not get much better than that...

I used perfect resize and SizefixerXL

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
So i just tried an old beta of liquid resize, I dont think its really an option.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Photoshop - perfect resize with one of the sharp filters (now has unsharp mask)

That is our best bet.  I can't see any real problem with it, I know sl1982 has a problem with it but I just don't see it.  As far as I can see the one I uploaded recently was a fair reflection of the original and was pretty good.  I don't see it getting much better at all and all uploads from fractals with sharpen have yielded v. similar results.

Can't expect miracles here people, you can't get something for nothing, even though perfect resize tries.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile