Author Topic: FFXIII?  (Read 59173 times)

theosiris2010

• I'm an a-hole supposedly.
    • View Profile
FFXIII?
« on: 2011-08-14 04:47:22 »
Okay, honestly I want to know what people in this forum think about this game. I've seen people love it, and I've seen people hate it. It's basically a linear-rpg. I bought it less than a year ago, played right up to seeing that little blonde chick (was her name Serah or something?) and I stopped there. I sold the game, but later regretted it because of the "hype" around the game. I'm easily suckered into video games even when I know they suck. (ex. I played Duke Nukem Forever demo, hated it, and then recently traded my BRINK for a copy). So yeah, I bought it again, and I got up to the Shiva sisters..... then I never touched it again. How does everybody REALLY feel about this interactive movie?

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Re: FFXIII?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-14 05:25:38 »
I loved it. I created a thread about this here. My thoughts are in there.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-14 06:51:47 »
Short version: Some of us loved it, some of us were meh, DLPB hated it with a fiery passion.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-14 09:25:59 »
You forget to tell him that the intelligent people also hated it

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-14 12:32:57 »

Give it a rest already. Yes, we know you hated it, you don't need to keep shoving your opinion down out throats.

Honestly, were stupid because we like it? Or because our opinion differs from yours?

It's rather insulting.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-14 14:20:09 »

Maybe it is just bad taste.  Everyone is welcome to like it but the fact is, it is a subpar effort full to the brim with flaws.

I have nothing against people liking the game (it is possible to like something which is flawed. It is possible to like anything), but I do when they make tired excuses for its flaws or pretend that the game had as much quality and content as 7-10.

One needs only to look at where the user reviews are heading to see the trend is downwards.  People are getting sick of the crap that Enix is firing out.

To sum up:

1.  Literally linear  for most of the game.  No way to go back on yourself.
2. Minigames almost non existent
3. Side quests that there are revolve around more fighting and grinding.
4. 2 AI characters, and auto battle doing most of the work.  No real brains required.  Dumbed down.  This happened because people accepted XII's battle system.
5. Over use of graphics and cutscenes.  Whole game is another failure in balance.
6.  Story is a joke, and even requires you to read a manual for exposition.
7. Traditional towns gone.  NPC relegated to near gone.  Nothing to do to break up the monotony of battles.  This is not a good thing.  This is against JRPG format, and it forces everyone to like it or lump it.  In the past some quests or places or shops could be skipped.

That's what I think about it....  SquareEnix now know that they can get away with doing this.  They learned that X-2. XII and the cash in spin offs of FF7 will sell like hot cakes no matter how bad the game or how flawed.  So... expect more of the same.  Graphics before substance, bloat before quality.

Since the merger, the quality of games has definately gone down in favour of pure greed.  We had X-2, the first sequel and a joke.  We have had FF7 turned into a cash cow with the spin offs.  We had XII where a battle could play for you while you sit there with the controller.  And now this flashy graphic fest XIII.  XIV is a disaster and I don't hold up much hope for XV.   It has all come down to the drive sorely for money rather than creativity since that merger.

And Kitase sums up the problem that he and his buddies have:

"If you're talking about the main Final Fantasy titles, one of the strong focuses of the series is cutting edge graphics. That's what people enjoy and that's what people associate Final Fantasy with."

"In that sense I would like to assure our users of this top quality artistic visual achievement. To do that we have to stick with high definition consoles."

All he cares about is graphics.

That's what people enjoy and that's what people associate Final Fantasy with."

Err no it isn't  Mr Kitase.  It is 1 aspect but most people buy FF for the gameplay and for the miniquests and story.  The graphics are not a priority and I wish you and your team would learn that.  Todays graphics will be shit tomorrow, and then where does that leave a game which was bsed on graphics?  Hardly anyone will replay XIII in 10 years.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-14 14:46:54 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-14 15:28:31 »
Anything I did not respond to from your post, it is safe to assume I agree with. The game really does have problems, but I do think you exaggerate some of them.

it is a subpar effort full to the brim with flaws.
I don't think it was a subpar effort. This has been one of Square Enix's most expensive games to date, they poured a ton of time and money into it. Mismanaged, yes, but the effort was there. They simply couldn't pull the results they needed. But it's pretty clear they tried.

This is not a bad thing. Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers was more minigames than main game, which was sad because the combat and exploration aspect was really damn good in that game but it spent the entire time on the backburner. Combine that with the constant half-assed minigame collections that are being released as games now, gamers as a whole are sick and tired of minigames. There is nothing wrong with not including them.

As I recall, you absolutely loved this about Final Fantasy X.

4. 2 AI characters, and auto battle doing most of the work.  No real brains required.  Dumbed down.  This happened because people accepted XII's battle system.
Except you still have to decide what auto battle does. Mostly this system makes battles faster and less tedious. For grinding, that means less mashing the X button (FF games have ALWAYS been guilty of mashy grinding), and for bosses it doesn't mean easier so much as it means faster. Either you win quickly or you lose quickly. But unless you have a strategy guide in front of you telling you exactly what paradigms to use at all times, it's not gonna be ridiculously easy.

Although you have a good point, this game largely does seem to expand on XII's flaws, namely linearity and non-interactivity.

5. Over use of graphics and cutscenes.  Whole game is another failure in balance.
There is absolutely no such thing as overuse of graphics. If they'd spent the same amount of time, money, and effort on everything else and less on graphics, the game would be just as flawed, but it'd look like shit too. Lack of success in key areas such as gameplay is not caused by good graphics, and in fact graphics programmers are usually not even qualified to be designing things like NPC AI or world scripts. Agree on the cutscenes and lack of balance though, the game plays like a vaguely interactive movie. However, this is a base design flaw, not a fault of having good graphics.

Story is quite interesting, IMO. Required history reading is a problem though.

That's what I think about it....  SquareEnix now know that they can get away with doing this.  They learned that X-2. XII and the cash in spin offs of FF7 will sell like hot cakes no matter how bad the game or how flawed.  So... expect more of the same.  Graphics before substance, bloat before quality.

Since the merger, the quality of games has definately gone down in favour of pure greed.  We had X-2, the first sequel and a joke.  We have had FF7 turned into a cash cow with the spin offs.  We had XII where a battle could play for you while you sit there with the controller.  And now this flashy graphic fest XIII.  XIV is a disaster and I don't hold up much hope for XV.   It has all come down to the drive sorely for money rather than creativity since that merger.
It's not a matter of greed. These games cost them considerably more to make than earlier FF games did (even than FFX), and don't sell as well. These games, while still profitable, are NOT as good for company finances as the better games in the series. They are trying to be creative, for sure. They have simply forgotten how. XII wasn't great, but it was still better than the trash being shoveled out by other companies, and it had a pretty good story other than the main character (same problem as X). XIV was a truly shit game, but it also cost them a ton to make, and they're basically giving it away until they fix it.

If it was about greed, they'd be doing what Zynga's doing, spending damn near nothing on development, reusing resources wherever possible, and focusing most of their budget on marketing and convincing people to buy in-game items. They'd be releasing four to five FF games a year. But S-E is not doing this. They know that good games sell better than bad, and they really do want to make good games. They just haven't any clue how anymore. FFXIII (and even XIV) was a strong effort, they just kind of fell on their face and came way short. I wouldn't call it a bad game, though, simply mediocre. Still a thousand times better than the vast majority of the Wii's third party library (if you wanna see quick money grabs, look no further than Wii shovelware).

theosiris2010

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-14 17:40:30 »
I see what all of your are all saying, and just people's opinions should tell them "................... we failed". Think about it. If they were to come to these forums, they would feel like idiots lol. This forum is filled with (more-so) turn-based junkies. Everybody says that X (or even X-2) was the LAST good Final Fantasy game.

I'm a dude, and I can tell you straight that if a Final Fantasy story never made me shed a tear, then nope nope. It's not a "(recurring) Final Fantasy" to me! LOL I kid, kind of. But all the Final Fantasy games have just been EPIC until 11 (which shouldn't be even counted, so let's just pretend I said 12).

Here is all the Final Fantasy games listed, if I've actually played them and my experiences from it (note I'm not a Final Fantasy collector ANYMORE, just FF7 exclusively since my dumbass ex probably set up her house to get "robbed", thus taking my whole collection) (which is what happened to my FIRST Pc discs of FF7 I explained about a week ago,  :( )

Final Fantasy: Never played
II: Never played
III: Never played
IV: OwnED, never got to play it ( >:( )
V: Never played
IV: Actually want to really play
VII: ....... do I have to say something? lol was stolen, and re-bought 3 times (1 used pc, 1 new pc, 1 new ps1). That should say something.
VIII: I thought it was okay... wasn't feeling the card system (unless mixing up with IX, but sure it was here too) (still own a brand new copy green label for ps1 if anyone would like to purchase) (stolen, but bought back for good price).
IX: Great. Liked it mroe than VIII, but once again, didn't like the card system)
X: Epic. Never beat it yet, and regret it everyday. Got stolen.
XI: Never played, looks meh. Not really a fan of MMO's. Just a good story :)
XII: ... I hated it, rented once, bought later (when I collected; limited edition game and guide) and it got stolen. I don't miss it lol.
XIII: Topic of discussion
Tactics: I had alot of fun with this one when I was a kid. Just bought it again the other day :D

The rest I didn't list, I simply haven't played except for X-2. It got stolen :( lol

If I can be honest with you guys about something, but if the soundtrack is on point, then it makes the game more epic to me. Music was pretty good for XIII, but I didn't get the feeling with that game, and that's not good :O

Maybe it is just bad taste.  Everyone is welcome to like it but the fact is, it is a subpar effort full to the brim with flaws.

I have nothing against people liking the game (it is possible to like something which is flawed. It is possible to like anything), but I do when they make tired excuses for its flaws or pretend that the game had as much quality and content as 7-10.

One needs only to look at where the user reviews are heading to see the trend is downwards.  People are getting sick of the crap that Enix is firing out.

To sum up:

1.  Literally linear  for most of the game.  No way to go back on yourself.
7. Traditional towns gone.  NPC relegated to near gone.  Nothing to do to break up the monotony of battles.  This is not a good thing.  This is against JRPG format, and it forces everyone to like it or lump it.  In the past some quests or places or shops could be skipped.

And Kitase sums up the problem that he and his buddies have:

"If you're talking about the main Final Fantasy titles, one of the strong focuses of the series is cutting edge graphics. That's what people enjoy and that's what people associate Final Fantasy with."

"In that sense I would like to assure our users of this top quality artistic visual achievement. To do that we have to stick with high definition consoles."

All he cares about is graphics.

"That's what people enjoy and that's what people associate Final Fantasy with."

Err no it isn't  Mr Kitase.  It is 1 aspect but most people buy FF for the gameplay and for the miniquests and story.  The graphics are not a priority and I wish you and your team would learn that.  Todays graphics will be sh*t tomorrow, and then where does that leave a game which was bsed on graphics?  Hardly anyone will replay XIII in 10 years.

If that's all fact about what they were saying about the graphics, then that just changed the way I look at my used-to-be favorite developers. Read THAT Mr. Kitase.

The view you just made on XIII was 100% to me though.

1. It really IS linear, and I don't like being forced into one direction when I should be EXPLORING the beautiful graphics in the world instead of sitting on a tour bus...
2. It SHOULD have minigames... damnit. All we can do is sit on the tour bus I guess... I'd rather the card system back lmao.
3: If by side quests, you mean collect the floating orbs with potions and other worthless goodies that you won't need if you mastered the easy battle system of the game? Then damn. Lots of side-quests. Good work S-E. I love orbs.
4. ...
5. Did anyone really take in that this game IS Heavy Rain? Just longer and you're forced to do one thing lol.
6. If it's not the music, it's the plot I want. And I didn't like the main protagonist being such a bitch lol. She didn't like nothing.
7. Oh, don't worry buddy! You can explore the new next-gen online menus scattered along your ONE path :) they're even given fancy names and pictures to heighten the experience!!!!

To sum everything up though... we want FF7 gameplay in a next-gen game. How can you mess that up???

FF series is a perfect example of the Dragon Ball Z Budokai series.

They had a good run, then Tenkaichi (FF7) came along, took over, made the BEST game out of the series Tenkaichi 3 (FFX) and then they went to shit when they made Raging Blast and Shin Budokai and all those games (... all games past XI). Came back with a remake with new features Tenkaichi Tag Team (FF7, 8, 9??) but only on PSP... they're on the same pattern lol. I just fear the making of Type-0... don't know much about it, but it was said it's based off FFXIII??? They're really attempting to give this the next-gen FF7 hype? LOL wow.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-14 17:45:04 »
I am sorry covarr but I don't agree that getting rid of things is a good thing.  Taking away minigames means less to do and the majority of people enjoyed them as part of a jrpg.  FF7 without gold saucer would not be better, only worse.

Innovation is not taking away.

It seems that any flaw or criticism is actually applauded by some, but the point is that although you might like the game without minigames, in the originals we got a CHOICE.  Now we don't.  As for FFX, it had far more things to do than grinding.  FF 13 had nothing.

It is no surprise to find that generally FF13 has been panned by critics and users alike... more so than any other FF game since X-2.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-14 17:48:58 by DLPB »

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-14 18:29:04 »
IX was the last great FF, X was the last good FF.  nuff said.

Giullio

• Where is the love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-14 18:53:42 »
For me Final Fantasy Died with the PS2 when they released Final Fantasy X-2, the XII was cool tough but the summons sucked so hard that I hated it. Nowdays square-enix don't give a damn about their fans no remakes and only cr*ppy releases, for real, I hate what they became.  But that's my opinion You did the right thing selling it, as I said before, for me, the main essence of final fantasy died a long ago.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-14 19:18:18 »
Final Fantasy: Never played
II: Never played
III: Never played
IV: OwnED, never got to play it ( >:( )
V: Never played
IV: Actually want to really play
VII: ....... do I have to say something? lol was stolen, and re-bought 3 times (1 used pc, 1 new pc, 1 new ps1). That should say something.
VIII: I thought it was okay... wasn't feeling the card system (unless mixing up with IX, but sure it was here too) (still own a brand new copy green label for ps1 if anyone would like to purchase) (stolen, but bought back for good price).
IX: Great. Liked it mroe than VIII, but once again, didn't like the card system)
X: Epic. Never beat it yet, and regret it everyday. Got stolen.
XI: Never played, looks meh. Not really a fan of MMO's. Just a good story :)
XII: ... I hated it, rented once, bought later (when I collected; limited edition game and guide) and it got stolen. I don't miss it lol.
XIII: Topic of discussion
Tactics: I had alot of fun with this one when I was a kid. Just bought it again the other day :D

1) It's a real shame you've never played any of the old-school Final Fantasy games (I - VI).  They've become my favorites over time, even over FFVII, purely for their replay value.  They're really good!  (imo)

2) Holy Toledo, who keeps on stealing everything from you?  Talk about acquiring games illegally :P At this rate, you'll run out of cash to buy more copies of the same games with.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-14 19:55:28 »
I : Played a bit, liked it
II : Played a bit, liked it
III : Haven't played
IV : Finished and played TAY, loved it
V : Played it a lot and loved the gameplay
VI : Haven't played much, but liked the way it's made
VII : Awesome gameplay and story, although getting a bit boring. Actually finished it
VIII : First ever played. Loved the gameplay and story, and how there wasn't MP in this one. Actually finished it
IX : Played it quite a lot, and loved it. Played until PSP got stolen
X : Played and liked it, good gameplay although story a bit confusing
X-2 : Haven't played
XI : Haven't played
XII : Played quite a lot, but story was annoying and confusing. Gameplay was worth it
XIII : Good gameplay whatsoever, but I dislike the way it's made (DLPB said a lot on it, too much linear). I just hate hearing people telling that it was a better FFs that the previouses ones

That's pretty much all I had to say.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-14 20:44:14 »
I decided to change this post into a compilation of reviews. Just cause I can.

Main Series:
I: played and finished; loved it but the story was awkward at times
II: played and finished; liked it and liked the leveling system, but not one of my favorites
III: never played
IV: played and finished; loved it but it was pretty difficult for me
IV Interlude: never played; apparently it takes place between IV and TAY
IV The After Years: played but never finished; I didn't like it, it seems when Square makes a sequel to an old game they mess something up
V: never played
VI: played and finished; awesome, anyone who hasn't played should play it
Crisis Core: played and finished; might be better than VII, but the missions are too linear and repetitive
VII: played but never finished; it's a great game but I don't think it's as good as most people think it is (especially not the greatest game of all time)
Dirge of Cerberus: never played; always wanted to but never got a copy
VIII: played but never finished; another great game but it was too easy, I loved the card battle system though
IX: played but never finished; I only got about 2 minutes into this game until I was bored
X: played but never finished; liked it but didn't get very far, seems like the game is too easy
X-2: played but never finished; I liked the classes or whatever they are called
XI: never played
XII: played but never finished; I didn't get far but from what I played I loved it
XIII: played and finished; not like your traditional Final Fantasy, but it's still a great game
XIV: never played

Tactics Series:
Tactics: played and finished; loved it, another one of my favorites
Tactics Advance: played but never finished; no, just no, this game is a disgrace to its predecessor
Tactics A2: never played; if it's anything like Tactics Advance, I don't want to play it

Fighting Series:
Dissidia: played and finished; epic fighting game with some epic characters
Dissidia 012: played and finished; I loved the first one so I'm gonna love this one too, more characters and another story
Ehrgeiz: played and finished; I'll consider this a Final Fantasy game because of the characters that were in it, pretty fun game (especially the RPG mode)

Crystal Chronicles Series:
Crystal Chronicles: played but never finished; this is the only one I played of the series, and I didn't care too much for it

Others:
Mystic Quest: played and finished; loved it and yet another one of my favorites
Final Fantasy Legend: played but never finished; I wouldn't even consider this a Final Fantasy game, it was horrible
« Last Edit: 2011-08-14 23:47:49 by DarkFang »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-08-14 21:42:38 »
I am sorry covarr but I don't agree that getting rid of things is a good thing.  Taking away minigames means less to do and the majority of people enjoyed them as part of a jrpg.  FF7 without gold saucer would not be better, only worse.

Innovation is not taking away.

It seems that any flaw or criticism is actually applauded by some, but the point is that although you might like the game without minigames, in the originals we got a CHOICE.  Now we don't.  As for FFX, it had far more things to do than grinding.  FF 13 had nothing.

It is no surprise to find that generally FF13 has been panned by critics and users alike... more so than any other FF game since X-2.
You have a point. I was thinking in terms of required minigames, which usually kinda suck, as compared to optional minigames as seen in FF7.

Regarding X-2, I'm actually kinda saddened that it was received so negatively. Sure, it's got one of the worst stories in gaming history, but the battle system was actually fairly innovative and quite fun.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-14 21:57:22 »
X-2, the combat wasn't too bad but the whole thing reeks of fan service and 99 times out a hundred, Fan Service = BAD.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-14 22:25:00 »
yeah X-2 did have a good battle system, the sad thing is it destroyed one of my favourite FF storylines so I couldnt play it.  It was too cringing...

X: played but never finished; liked it but didn't get very far, seems like the game is too easy

Definitely not if you get the euro version.  Some of the quests and minigames, and the dark aeons and penance are not easy. ;)  Plus getting all the destruction spheres at cloister of trials is pretty cool.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-14 23:23:33 »
yeah X-2 did have a good battle system, the sad thing is it destroyed one of my favourite FF storylines so I couldnt play it.  It was too cringing...

the storyline was actually nice.. it revealed alot of secrets about spira's past etc... but.. the whole game was like... ugh... almost impossible to stand..

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-14 23:48:22 »
The series has lost the charm that made me fall in love with it, but I don't HATE the more recent titles. I loved all of them until XII which I enjoyed. (I'm forgetting XI, which I've never played and never will). I liked XIII.

Story-wise, it's quite as over-wrought, convoluted and pretentious as any other Final Fantasy game, which is actually a likeable factor for me. The story was an improvement over XII, which I found too political and preachy. The only problem I hadd with the story was that it made absolutely no sense unless you knew backstory that wasn't included in the game - not even in the data log. It's graphically beautiful. I'd still rather play XIII than a few other PS3 games I have in my library, but the problem lies with the fact that it's just not my favourite game on the system. It doesn't stand out, and at times it's just downright boring to play. I don't think it's awful, I don't HATE it, but it's a clear turn in the wrong direction.

I was pissed off when there wasn't a world map in Final Fantasy X, but removal of TOWNS? The game is a straight line until chapter 11, I just thought it was "OK", which is unacceptable!

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-14 23:49:41 »
i enjoyed the game, it wasn't everything i expected but i liked it.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-15 05:20:36 »
It's like nobody here even realizes that squarenix is a business and to a business, the only thing that matters are numbers
And no, fanboyism is not a valid source of numbers despite all your arguments.

And another thing. There are exactly two things you can do when you produce a game ( going bankrupt would be a third choice )
1) Make a good game
2) Make a widely appealing game

and those are FUNDAMENTALLY different things

All of you who like 13 are people in category 2. The same TYPE ( but not carbon copy ) of people that buy Wii game shovelware

Because when it comes down to it, FF13 is nothing but that. Final Fantasy themed shovelware cleverly disguised as a AAA game.

Oh and Ultima. No, you're not stupid because your opinion differs from mine. You're stupid because your opinion is so strong that it makes you unable to view something objectively.

theosiris2010

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-15 05:28:44 »
2) Holy Toledo, who keeps on stealing everything from you?  Talk about acquiring games illegally :P At this rate, you'll run out of cash to buy more copies of the same games with.

In my post it says that it was stolen by my ex-girlfriends ex from her house when I was with her... but looking back at it, and all the stuff I had there? ALL stolen? It was a setup for sure. Lol.

Along with my FF7 mini-collection (FF7 black label NEW, FF4, Tactics, FF8, FF9 < I was so into that one before it got stolen :[, FF10, FF10-2, Dissidia, Dissidia 012 Duodecim, FF12, FF7DoC, FF7 AC Limited Edition. All in one grab) they ALSO took my brand new ps3, my dvd collection (over a grand invested in a week's time, had all the weeds seasons up to 6, jersey shore 1 and 2, the spirits within, spirited away WHICH I NEVER GOT TO WATCH, and a bunch of other movies), my 2nd xbox 360, a stack of ps3 games AND my psp collection. If I see either one of them again, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY1Vetd7OCs

Since DarkFang made a better more in-depth list than me, I'm gonna re-do mine off his. I did forget alot of them lol.

I decided to change this post into a compilation of reviews. Just cause I can.

Main Series:
IV Interlude: never played, but will one day when I get IV back :)
IV The After Years: never played, but doesn't seem interesting
VII CC: It did seem linear, but NOT as bad as FFXIII lol. I actually like this game, cause I already have a grip of the storyline. I took greyhound buses to towns looking for a copy of this game and every EB I went to messed with me :( first one I put it on hold and they sold it on me, then I took a taxi from one end of my town to another JUST to get there a minute after closing. I told the girl at EB I'd give her 20 bucks extra if she just gave me the damn game.... she waved it in front of my face and said, "oh, this one?" I replied with a smile and nodded. "Sorry. Computers are off." ...... so the NEXt day, I go back and they tell me the UMD was broken... ... ... .. .. .. ............................... so I went to one more place, they HAD it, but someone put it on hold right before I got there... just my luck. After weeks of searching, it was sitting on the Toronto EB shelf like it was always there in the first place... just taunting me... I swear if the case had a mouth, it would've said "Hey! Lookin' for me?  :wink: " Luckily, I still HAVE this game!! It was spared in the robbery, and I'm still playing through.
Dirge of Cerberus: Beat it!!! It was great! More epic with the keyboard and mouse usb function  8-)
XIV: LOLOLOL didn't I hear something about this game getting pulled off shelves by S-E cause of how bad it was put together or something along those lines..? Either that, or the website was picking fun at it.

Tactics Series:
Tactics: <3
Tactics Advance: Don't want to play it
Tactics A2: Never knew it existed... lol.

Fighting Series:
Dissidia: STOLEN :( SOOOOOOO EPIC (yes, these caps are aggressive lol)
Dissidia 012: STOLEN :( LOVED KICKIN' CLOUD's ASS AS TIFA LOL
Ehrgeiz: What a coincidence... I heard about this just yesterday... looks interesting.

Crystal Chronicles Series:
Crystal Chronicles: Never played. Looks interesting too.

Others:
Mystic Quest: Never heard of
Final Fantasy Legend: either of them

It's like nobody here even realizes that squarenix is a business and to a business, the only thing that matters are numbers
And no, fanboyism is not a valid source of numbers despite all your arguments.

And another thing. There are exactly two things you can do when you produce a game ( going bankrupt would be a third choice )
1) Make a good game
2) Make a widely appealing game

and those are FUNDAMENTALLY different things

All of you who like 13 are people in category 2. The same TYPE ( but not carbon copy ) of people that buy Wii game shovelware

Because when it comes down to it, FF13 is nothing but that. Final Fantasy themed shovelware cleverly disguised as a AAA game.

Oh and Ultima. No, you're not stupid because your opinion differs from mine. You're stupid because your opinion is so strong that it makes you unable to view something objectively.

LOL so true.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-15 05:31:29 »
Shovelware by definition is cheap crap designed to make it to market as fast as possible. Shovelware is not good OR wildly appealing. It doesn't need to be, because it's so low budget that it's profitable even if it sells like crap.

FFXIII was a failed attempt at a good game, not a cheap cash in. Please lose the greater-than-thou attitude and namecalling, it puts you in a bad light.

theosiris2010

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-15 05:34:21 »
Shovelware by definition is cheap crap designed to make it to market as fast as possible. Shovelware is not good OR wildly appealing. It doesn't need to be, because it's so low budget that it's profitable even if it sells like crap.

Uhm... I don't know if you literally just explained it, but what's shovelware?  :o lol

EDIT: Nvm looked it up. Lol yeah XIII is far from shovelware, but it's not golden either :)
« Last Edit: 2011-08-15 05:37:09 by theosiris2010 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-15 05:39:03 »
Shovelware refers games that are pumped out as quickly and cheaply as possible, knowing that they don't have to sell very well to be a financial success. Games like Ninjabread Man. By spending as little as possible on development and marketing, they keep costs nice and low so that even if it's a complete flop (which it generally is) it will make them more money than they spent on it.