Author Topic: Final Fantasy X Is Being Remade For PlayStation 3 And Vita  (Read 40045 times)

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy X Is Being Remade For PlayStation 3 And Vita
« Reply #25 on: 2011-09-16 00:22:46 »
They have already stated that FF7 would take too long to do in HD.  i.e. they can't be arsed puttin in the effort of an older game when they can get by on the mediocrity of the new ones.  Why spend 10 years making FF7 in 720p when you can rerelease FFX etc with a simple upscaling and make a wedge of money.

Sounds good to me. Why are you so butthurt about Square not remaking VII? It would take too long and they would probably ruin something about it.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2011-09-16 00:25:35 »
Sounds good to me. Why are you so butthurt about Square not remaking VII? It would take too long and they would probably ruin [everything] about it.

I fixed it :P

kenshen112

« Reply #27 on: 2011-09-18 23:33:46 »
They have already stated that FF7 would take too long to do in HD.  i.e. they can't be arsed puttin in the effort of an older game when they can get by on the mediocrity of the new ones.  Why spend 10 years making FF7 in 720p when you can rerelease FFX etc with a simple upscaling and make a wedge of money.

Final fantasy 3 and 4 ds what? any just dropped by to say i for one want a ps3 solely for this one game and versus that is all

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 2011-09-19 00:43:59 »
Or they realise that the way they would want to remake it would piss off the original fans. Re-releasing the PS2 era games is a great move.

they dont give a SHIT about the original fans
see: every installment in the FF series since 9 / 10

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2011-09-19 00:46:39 »
they dont give a SHIT about the original fans
see: every installment in the FF series since 9 / 10

Original fans need to learn how to move on and stop living in the 90's.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2011-09-19 00:52:59 »

What an excuse...  This isn't about "living in the 90's" it is about being mighty pissed off with todays games being worse than the 90's.  And yes worse because both content and quality of games after the merger are worse.

Every time people are presented with numerous examples of the dumbing down they resort to telling people to "move on" or "i dont care i didnt like those things anyway"

It all amounts to blind fanboyism.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-19 00:55:39 by DLPB »

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2011-09-19 00:56:29 »
Even though it would take a lot of time, don't you think that announcing at some point a FF7 release would make it one of the top sellers of the world?? That game send the foundation of the company's success. It's close to impossible though to make such an investment to a ff7 remake, but wouldn't you agree that out of curiousity almost everyone would buy it???

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: 2011-09-19 00:59:33 »

I'm not even gonna bother explaining to you how much your logic falls short of being useful.
Would you like some godwin's law with your nonsense statement?

Also, that ff7 remake would be mostly pirated. All the people that have played the original and have nostalgia goggles for it are old enough to know how to pirate stuff now. Not to mention, at their current designing direction, the game would be butchered and past a initial nostalgia sales boom, the sales would go abyssmal. Because it's one thing to sell a shitty NEW game and a different one entirely to sell a shitty REMADE game.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2011-09-19 01:33:29 »
What an excuse...  This isn't about "living in the 90's" it is about being mighty pissed off with todays games being worse than the 90's.  And yes worse because both content and quality of games after the merger are worse.

Every time people are presented with numerous examples of the dumbing down they resort to telling people to "move on" or "i dont care i didnt like those things anyway"

It all amounts to blind fanboyism.

The only fanboyism here seems to be coming from your posts. "PLZ REMAKE FFVII GUIZE N STOP REMAKING USELESS GAMES LIKE FFX IT SUX MAJOR BALLZ O AND FFXIII SUX TOO EVEN THO I DIDNT PLAY IT"

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2011-09-19 01:44:52 »
Are you even reading what I write?  At no time have I asked or wanted a remake of VII.  Why would I want these jokers to remake VII?

The point I am making is that today's FF games are demonstrably worse than the ones before the merger, and you come back with "so what".  Well I will tell you why "So what", I want to play decent games that challenge me on an intellectual level or fulfill me in an artistic sense, not orgasm noises from Vanille. 

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2011-09-19 01:45:59 »
Then don't play the series.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2011-09-19 01:48:07 »
Then don't play the series.

See this again is your problem.  You are simply accepting crap and then telling me that it is "tough luck".  Do you not see for 1 second the problem here?

And I don't play the series after FFX.  I made that clear.  Maybe if you did the same we would get decent games again, but no, instead Enix laughs its head off cause you will buy anything it chucks out.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2011-09-19 01:57:02 »
Actually, the people that liked it wouldn't call it "accepting crap", they'd call it "liking a game". You're not going to get people to jump on your "let's all boycott games we actually like" wagon by implying that we're all idiots for enjoying a game that we actually enjoyed.

However, you are entitled to your opinion, and can bash it as much as you like. It's really not going to change the fact that some people liked it regardless of flaws. And if you think it's depriving you or anyone like you of your perfect FF experience, that, AGAIN, is your opinion.

And you know what? I couldn't give a shit whether you liked it or not.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2011-09-19 02:02:36 »
See this again is your problem.  You are simply accepting crap and then telling me that it is "tough luck".  Do you not see for 1 second the problem here?

And I don't play the series after FFX.  I made that clear.  Maybe if you did the same we would get decent games again, but no, instead Enix laughs its head off cause you will buy anything it chucks out.

I think the games after FFX are decent, therefore I buy then and play them.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2011-09-19 02:24:12 »
I think the games after FFX are decent, therefore I buy then and play them.

What you find decent has nothing to do with this... and that's been said multiple times by 3 posters in this section of the forum.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 2011-09-19 10:50:00 »
Actually, the people that liked it wouldn't call it "accepting crap", they'd call it "liking a game".

If you like a bad game, those things are the goddamn same thing

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2011-09-19 12:36:32 »
More lazy acts, made solely to cash in on old glory. That's SE for you.

I bet they won't even bother to update the textures. It will probably just look like what FFX looks like when emulated on a good pc, with maxed out settings. Maybe not even that good. It's not much different than the so called "remakes" of the nes/snes games on the psx - but at least those remakes where warranted in the sense the a large portion of the US/Eur audience never got to play the originals to begin with.

This is just rehashing for the sake of profit because making a new game, or remaking the older ones is "too much work".

And some still wonder why a lot of people now criticize SE?

It's so disingenuous it hurts. Yeah, remaking 6-9 would be a lot of work, but not nearly as much as people seem to think, especially if you consider all the different production methods available to them.
It would take ages if they where to make it look like FF13 - The questions is, why should they?
FF7 doesn't need a FF13 facelift(and doing so would screw over the original art to begin with).
CC was released for PSP for gods sake. Making a three disk PSP game with CC level graphics, wouldn't require half the work of FF13, and most people would still be overjoyed.

This site itself proves how fast a pretty high-quality HD remastered version of FF7 could be made, if it had a dedicated team of payed game devs.
They could even use the original engine if they wanted to, as the people here are. It all depends on how much of a facelift they are going to give, and what console they would be aiming for.

At the end of the day though, if they're willing to give FFX a minor facelift and re-release, they really have no excuse for not doing the same to the older games considering that most of them already has re-releases in ther original formats(I.E waste of time).

Retouch the backgrounds, the 3D models, the textures, the music, the gameplay balance, and the writing, and we'd have a FF7-9 that would at least be passable until(or if) a proper remake is made - This is possible, and wouldn't take SE that much time nor money, and if it had been released through the PSN instead of the original versions, it would probably have sold much better as well. They didn't, yet now they're doing an even shoddier, yet similar work on FFX.
Seriously. What kind of shit is that?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2011-09-19 14:32:00 »
ahh but Hian, as you said.. when Enix talks about remaking FF7, it does not mean remaking it as we know it.  It means messing about with it so that it is in full 3D and has tons of needless cutscenes that weren't there before.  For example, when Sephiroth and Zax scuffle in the reactor, Zax is easily beaten as you would expect, but if they remake it, they will want a useless AC battle sequence there that lasts 5 minutes.

This is the problem/.  It is their mindset.  They want biggerer and betterer, when they should realise that often the simple is more dramatic and less likely to test suspension of disbelief (that AC did ALL the time).  When you do things for the sake of doing them, you f*ck things up.  See Lucas.

It shocks me how so many people do not understand dramatic tension. When you have a scene that is intending to show a characters power and insanity, the best way to do it is short sharp and to the point.  It beats any amount of long fight any day.  If you show a battle lasting 5 minutes, not only is it completely unrealistic and unbelievable, but it takes away from the scene.  It makes your strong character look weak and it breaks the persons attachment to the fictional world they are experiencing.  This is even true in Martial Arts movies.  The reason Bruce Lee movies are so good (aside from the fact he was a master) is that he made it so most times, when someone is smashed in the face, they are out cold.  He tried to make it as realistic as possible for the genre... it was done in way that made it believable and powerful.  No sped up footage or completely unbelievable garbage.

The best examples of people doing the opposite are Star Wars Ep III where Anakin and Obiwan are fighting on lava and the whole of Advent Children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QThD0r3hZg

People today, and sadly those at Enix, have this idea that "Big graphics = better" and although they will sell to the most mindless among us, it certainly isn't a good thing for fiction to have these totally out of control fight scenes.  Not only that, the amount of time to create them is ridiculous.  A complete waste of man power.

Graphics if used in a non sensible fashion can ruin the balance of any story or gameplay, as they did with XIII and MGS4, Star wars prequels, Advent Children and a growing number of  works.  It is completely basic understanding of fiction.  Graphics should always be used to enhance the story or gameplay, not a vehicle by which to sell the said story or game.  Graphics can never make a story or game, they can only enhance what is there.

If you are using graphics to sell something, you have failed from the start.  The reason VII, MGS1 and star wars original endure for well over a decade is because they had depth and quality.  The reason Star Wars Prequels ,AC, MGS4  (among other things) will die out, is because there is nothing there except graphics, and appeal to fanboyism, and in time, they become dated or lose their appeal. 
« Last Edit: 2011-09-19 19:47:32 by DLPB »

Cazador

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2011-09-20 13:58:49 »
I'm going to get it but I wish they did more than just upscale. I haven't been really impressed with the quality of HD in most remakes but it's good to be able to play them again.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #44 on: 2011-09-20 15:03:45 »

Where's your source on this? I don't remember anything official either way. What you say makes sense though, but even if FF7 would literally require a ground-up re-writing, FF8 and 9 shouldn't. Perhaps SE doesn't want to release 8 or 9 without giving 7 its due course, but then why skip from 4 to 10?! 5 and 6 only got a PS re-release and a GBA update. 4 got those, but then got the DS makeover as well. They may have decided from sales of the 4DS that remakes of that caliber aren't worth it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2011-09-21 14:54:34 »
Their exact quote was it will take 10X longer than FF13

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=12649&page=1

Kitase:

We’ve gotten this question a lot from many countries (laughs). To make FFXIII at this level of quality, it took us 3 to 4 years. If we were to make FFVII in the same style of FFXIII, it would take 10 times as long, so it would be difficult to take it up immediately. However, we always keep in mind how often this is requested.

Corrected:
FF7 was a quality game, and to create a quality game these days in our precious HD takes too much time.  Yawn.  Graffix = Sales so get used to it.

It is outrageous what Kitase is saying there, he is blatantly admitting that a game from 1996-7 had more quality than todays games.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-21 15:49:01 by DLPB »

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2011-09-21 15:59:31 »
The key part of that post, which pisses me off the most, is the "if we where to make it in the style of FF13" -
Again, why the hell would they do that? And why would anyone want that?
The game could be remade in several ways that would allow it retain present day quality, and yet be done much faster than what is claimed by SE officials.
The entire premise is ridiculous which is why the timeline is ridiculous as well.

Furthemore, games like Oblivion, GW2 Skyrim, GTA4 etc, don't even take 10 years despite their massive amounts of content(more than FF13 by far), which in terms of gameplay and content is much closer to classical era game design than FF13 is.. Even if we grant the FF13 premise, it still wouldn't take 30-40 years to produce a FF7 remake of FF13 standards.

It all comes down to internal company issues, laziness and probably a large dose of insecurity, knowing that if they screw up a FF7 remake, they'd probably lose all credibility as a company in the eyes of a large amount of people.
If they'd bother to put together one large dedicated team, instead of wasting work-power on multiple shitty spin-offs at the same time etc, spendt some time trying to get deals with the original team, and interacting with fans of the original game, a remake could be done in the same amount of time it takes to produce any other game.

At the end of the day, producing games might have gotten more time-costly and expensive, but if you consider the increase of funds and technological advances in the franchise altogether, making games today isn't necessarily more difficult than it was back in the PSX era. If FF7 is impossible today, it should have been impossible back in the days too.

It obviously isn't lack of possibility that is stopping SE from remaking FF7-9 - It is lack of will, and risk VS the fact that it's much simpler to rescale FF10 and milk that for what it's worth instead.
Wait a year or so, and they'll make HD version of FF10-2, and FF12 as well. Maybe we'll see a few more cheap shots at selling the PSX 1-6 as a campaign packet for PS Vita.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2011-09-21 16:00:47 »
That's the fundamental point, they have this notion and plan that FF7 would need to be in full HD with tons of cutscenes and tons of FMV...  that's not what I want anyway!  I want FF7 to have a good pacing, not out of control sh*tty graphics.

You can see the cogs already turning in Kitase's brain....

kicker

• Hojo...what a queer fellow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2011-09-21 20:23:17 »
Just so that i am clear, i don't support in any way any companies here and i don't defend them either. We may discuss our opinions about the reasons that the companies don't develop a lot of good games any more, but the thing is that the game world has become really competitive and the world's economy has changed quite a lot this last years. I can't say for sure if the competition makes square drop the quality of the games or the bad economy but surely these are some reasons too.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2011-09-22 15:17:02 »
A lot of stuff about suspension of disbelief, tension, storytelling, and shit

If you are using graphics to sell something, you have failed from the start.  The reason VII, MGS1 and star wars original endure for well over a decade is because they had depth and quality.  The reason Star Wars Prequels ,AC, MGS4  (among other things) will die out, is because there is nothing there except graphics, and appeal to fanboyism, and in time, they become dated or lose their appeal.

And this, ladies and gentleman, is the difference between liking a game for legitamite reasons, and being a fanboy.

People who say you have to "stop living in the < insert era>" have to get their heads out of their asses and actually think about what the other person is saying. An example of this is the reason I like Battlefield 2 infinitely better than the bad company series. It has nothing to do with living in the past, it has to do with the fact that despite both being good games, BF2 has better teamwork elements, better coordination, and rewards players for contributing to the team, whereas BC2 tries to, but fails because It doesn't have as solid of a system with which to base it's teamwork on. The framework is there sure, but it's poorly implemented compared to BF2, there's very minimal squad communication unless you are in a clan, there's no noticeable in game chat unless your in a context-sensitive situation, where people don't even hear the in game voices anyway - while the commo rose in BF2 gave you access to radio commands and squad orders whenever you needed, as well as allowing for people to respond even without VoIP. DICE are acknowledging this by making BF3 more like the older games, and not just disregarding them because they are "old"
Even though the graphics are great, again, they are using it to enhance the gameplay, not as a selling point of the game.

Even if it's not in a case where a game doesn't improve upon its predecessors the point still stands. I don't like Quake 1 better than Quake 4 because I'm living in the 90s, I like it because its environmental design, atmosphere and monsters are more recognizable because they are different from other things, where as Quake 4 is the typical space-marine-fights-aliens-game, and it's apparent that much less work went into interesting designs.

Sure, YOU might not like Quake 1 better but don't dismiss someone's thoughts on something because it's old. That's just being ignorant.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-22 15:19:48 by BloodShot »