Author Topic: FF7 Remake general thread  (Read 83890 times)

StickySock

• View Profile
FF7 Remake general thread
« on: 2015-12-05 17:38:27 »
The gameplay for the FF7 remake has been revealed and it looks a lot like FFXV, Kingdom Hearts, and the original FFVS13 trailers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPoOWVhSgys

Edit: Actually, after watching it again, some of the things I've noticed are:

The English voice actors are the same as from Advent Children.

Unfortunately, the design Cloud has is very much like Advent Children, in the worst way.

The movement, especially navigating narrow spaces, seems very similar to FFXV.

Even though they have not shown a lot of gameplay, it at first appeared to be real time, but I suppose there is a sliver of hope that it still could be something reminiscent of FF12, FF13, or Resonance of Fate, where it was very stylish but still turn-based. There was not enough gameplay in my opinion to really tell one way or the other. But this is Nomura, and the notable games he's worked on are KH and FFVS13, so the chance that this game will not be like them is very slim.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-05 17:53:00 by StickySock »

Bukharin377

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Remake Gameplay Reveal
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-05 17:46:12 »
Woah didn't expect this! Looks incredible - was kinda disappointed with the combat the first time watching but there's no denying it looks like a lot of fun here's hoping they go for a compromise on action vs strategy. Liking the voice work so far too (excluding Wedge but he's not that important).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-05 17:57:18 »
Looks just like I said it would.  Crap.  Graphics good, everything else substandard.  Totally lost the charm of the original already.  And already going for that crappy Hollywood vibe in action and voice acting and cutscenes (that already look like they will be endless and verbose). 

Does anyone think this pile of doo doo is really going to have the soul of the original after seeing that wank?
« Last Edit: 2015-12-05 17:59:29 by DLPB »

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-05 17:59:04 »
Damn voice acting taking away my ability to rename em! Got over that problem ages ago but I still miss it.
Guard Scorpion looks sweet. Character models are pretty good, I think Barret looks a bit skinny, but that's about it. I also didn't see him wave his arms around in frustration.
Gameplay isn't identical then - that's solved that suspicion! I'm sure lots of people will be disappointed, but this site is probably the best site for you to be if you want remixed original mechanics. ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-05 18:00:44 »
Also, that Cloud seems (Advent Children springs to mind) like a whiny ass weed.  "I don't care about your politicssss"  lmao.  Also, since when did Barrett wear sunglasses?  Is he Morpheus now?

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-05 18:08:01 »
Also, that Cloud seems (Advent Children springs to mind) like a whiny ass weed.  "I don't care about your politicssss"  lmao.  Also, since when did Barrett wear sunglasses?  Is he Morpheus now?
Cloud's horrible design and demeanor is probably my biggest complaint with the entire trailer. I actually don't mind Barrett's design aside from the unnecessary sunglasses.

Does anyone think this pile of doo doo is really going to have the soul of the original after seeing that wank?
Not really. It looks like a remake that fits exactly in with the compilation, which is nothing like the original.

I'm probably going to get it at some point, just because I'm a moron with way too much nostalgia and desire for more FF7, but I'm not going to lie that I'm more than a little disappointed.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-12-05 18:09:07 »
"Remember kids: just because your favorite game is being remade, it doesn't mean your favorite game ceases to exist!" -Arin Hanson

But of course you're acting like it is.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-05 18:10:39 by Tekkie.X »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-12-05 18:12:16 »
"Remember kids: just because your favorite game is being remade, it doesn't mean your favorite game ceases to exist!" -Arin Hanson

But of course you're acting like it is.

Not at all.  But it doesn't change the fact that, already, those of us annoyed that this was going to be completely against the original style are now really annoyed because that's what's definitely happened. There is nothing wrong with being peeved that a remake, which was supposed to be aimed at fanbase, has been aimed at graphics junkies instead. Already you can hear and see the mindlessness of this compared to the original. Cloud dodging 1000 bullets like James Bond, for starters. The silly slow down Matrix effects are there, as always.  Oh, please, just fuck off with that. It worked in the Matrix because it was new and because it was underlining the idea that the world Neo comes from is fake (it was a program). When you put that effect into any other story, coupled with ridiculous out-of-control action scenes, you completely sever the audience from the fiction.

I am totally frustrated because it's a wasted opportunity and they've done EXACTLY what I said they would.  It already looks like a complete waste, just from that trailer.  Nomura has no idea what made the original game great, or just does not care. 
« Last Edit: 2015-12-05 18:48:29 by DLPB »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-12-05 18:39:46 »
those of us annoyed that this was going to be completely against the original style

SE also forbid to mod their games because these are perfect pieces of art. It does look cool but not like FF7. :cry:

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2015-12-05 18:42:42 »
SE also forbid to mod their games because these are perfect pieces of art. It does look cool but not like FF7. :cry:

I wouldn't want to mod that piece of garbage. Even if you could mod it, the work involved compared to 1998 version would be ridiculous.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-12-05 19:02:16 »
Definitely disappointed with Cloud's muscle mass.  Hopefully he'll be more along the lines of his smash bros counterpart, otherwise he looks kind of sickly.

It would definitely help if this trailer had some coherence to it.  So many jump cuts that it's hard to really figure out what's going on before it cuts to something else.

Also, Wedge's voice actor.  They aren't serious, right?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #11 on: 2015-12-05 19:17:46 »
Gag. Flashy numbers along with more flashy numbers in a very Crisis Core vibe. Sorta makes sense as this story is a sequel to that. Still, this doesn't have the same appeal that the original had. You'll never be able to replicate that either. The original was flashy because it was 3D, not because it had massive amounts of polygons and 2D effects. The summons only felt epic because it was the first time we had ever seen such a thing. Now, it's pretty much all been done and this isn't adding anything new to the table.

Also, crouching? skinny passages? Is this suddenly a horror game? What is the point of that?! I hate those unnecessary obstacles in the field. They aren't clever or interesting. They're only frustrating and making traveling between points A and B take that much more time. The original had vents, but they were usually in places that made sense (a few times they were in stupid places too).

Cloud needs some color on him too. He looks a bit too pale. Otherwise I think he looks fine.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-12-05 19:20:25 »
Definitely disappointed with Cloud's muscle mass.  Hopefully he'll be more along the lines of his smash bros counterpart, otherwise he looks kind of sickly.
Don't forget the way Cloud runs away from the guards after he has one of his trademark mental twitches.

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-12-05 19:42:05 »
I know it's not exactly what we all wanted and yes I also would have preferred turn based or at least something with more turn based elements over this Crisis Core/XV/KH style action system but we can't all get what we want, the world does not work like that, never has but I'm not going to flat out dismiss it just because it's different.

Am I disappointed that Cloud looks like he doesn't even know what a gym or even food is, yes, am I disappointed that Barret is now Mr. T with a minigun strapped to his arm, yes.

I'm still going to play it and I'm going take off the nostalgia goggles when I do, see a new spin on something old and experience it all over again with a fresh take on what we already played through all those years ago, look at it from a different perspective to relive the game.

If it was a straight remake I honestly doubt it'd sell well, chances are it still won't sell all that well, you can't exactly remake a game in this decade purely for those of us who played and fell in love with the original nearly 20 years ago, that's asking for poor sales, you would need to appeal beyond your core audience and that's what they've done and it had to be done to even make the effort worth the cost of even a straight remake.

If you don't care for it, that's fine just don't act like it's going to ruin everything, it won't as that "everything" is already there, it's on your PS1/PC CDs, your Steam/Squeenix account, your PS3/4 or even your iPhone and those aren't going away any time soon so you can still enjoy FFVII as originally released just the way it was back on January 31st 1997.

Anyway, is this on Unreal or the XV engine? Kinda looks like UE4 to me with the lighting. I'm also guessing they're trying to make Wedge sound like that just because he's fat, not a fan. All we've seen so far is Bombing Run part 1, still a lot more to come, we've seen nothing of Tifa and the rest of the gang yet.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-12-05 19:46:41 »
It's a dumbing down, and accepting a dumbing down invites more of the same. 

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2015-12-05 19:53:17 »
It's a dumbing down, and accepting a dumbing down invites more of the same. 

Welcome to the state of the games industry for the last 15 years or so.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2015-12-05 20:53:18 »
This looks like it might be fun. I'm actually a big fan of the KH gameplay, so it doesn't bother me at all to see them reusing that. I'm less a fan of some of the visual choices they've made, and I never liked this voice cast. Seems like this can probably only be enjoyable taken as an entirely new thing and pretending it's not a remake.

Maki

• 0xBAADF00D
  • 0xCCCCCCCC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2015-12-05 21:16:13 »
>battle system
-_-

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2015-12-05 21:27:25 »
Haha, the first place I checked for reaction was here, I expected the replies. Regardless of gameplay, the characters just don't feel like the characters we know from the original, hence it seems like a completely different game to me. Absolutely nothing there which interests me or makes me feel excited. Wow, what a missed opportunity going for this movie-like garbage instead of an amazing game..

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2015-12-05 21:45:52 »
Haha, the first place I checked for reaction was here, I expected the replies. Regardless of gameplay, the characters just don't feel like the characters we know from the original, hence it seems like a completely different game to me. Absolutely nothing there which interests me or makes me feel excited. Wow, what a missed opportunity going for this movie-like garbage instead of an amazing game..

I wish the general criticism found here was common elsewhere.  But, like usual, it seems 10-1 in favour of fanboyism and hype. I don't think most of the fanbase, or what's left of it, even realizes what made the original game so good. Maybe for a lot of people having a "cool" character and a "hot babe" was enough to get them puking out 10/10. But that's not why I liked it.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2015-12-05 22:01:23 »
After seeing Cloud's design in Smash Bros, it does kinda make me like the "realistic" look a little less.  However, this can still be a good game in its own right.   It's been 20 years since the original came out.  I'm more than happy to revisit all the familiar characters in a new imagining of the story.

In my opinion, the only misstep made in the compilation was Dirge of Cerberus.  Before Crisis, Crisis Core, the novellas, and even Advent Children were decent/respectable additions to the FF7 universe.  It's probably fair to say that if you liked the compilation, you'll like the remake.  If you hated it and thought everything was blasphemous, you'll hate the remake.

uggabugg

• View Profile
    • uggabuggs art
« Reply #21 on: 2015-12-05 22:32:07 »
It kinda makes sense that cloud is sickly pale. He has been in a tank for five years, and catatonic afterwards. Or am i remembering things wrong?  It has been a while since i even though about the game

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2015-12-05 22:37:00 »
This looks like it might be fun. I'm actually a big fan of the KH gameplay, so it doesn't bother me at all to see them reusing that. I'm less a fan of some of the visual choices they've made, and I never liked this voice cast. Seems like this can probably only be enjoyable taken as an entirely new thing and pretending it's not a remake.
This is probably what I'll end up doing in the end. I'm actually into real time gameplay most of the time. I too am mostly upset with some of the visual choices (mostly Cloud). Too bad they haven't shown Tifa yet, the one thing that they could have distracted me with...

In my opinion, the only misstep made in the compilation was Dirge of Cerberus.  Before Crisis, Crisis Core, the novellas, and even Advent Children were decent/respectable additions to the FF7 universe.  It's probably fair to say that if you liked the compilation, you'll like the remake.  If you hated it and thought everything was blasphemous, you'll hate the remake.

I actually had fun with Dirge of Cerberus when I was younger. I don't think any of them are horrible in their own right, but the original was truly something special that the spinoffs felt like dilutions of. Being mediocre or just a bit better than that is not good enough to be worthy of the original in my opinion, and even though I am going to get this remake and have fun with it, if it isn't pretty spectacular I will be a little disappointed.

It kinda makes sense that cloud is sickly pale. He has been in a tank for five years, and catatonic afterwards. Or am i remembering things wrong?  It has been a while since i even though about the game
If I have to rationalize why something looks dumb it probably could have looked better regardless...

Roden

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2015-12-05 23:11:34 »
I wish the general criticism found here was common elsewhere.  But, like usual, it seems 10-1 in favour of fanboyism and hype. I don't think most of the fanbase, or what's left of it, even realizes what made the original game so good. Maybe for a lot of people having a "cool" character and a "hot babe" was enough to get them puking out 10/10. But that's not why I liked it.
While I don't like dislike modern games, there's nothing interesting or cool about this trailer.. it's just marketing for the fanboys. I know now to leave this game alone as it will only disappoint me. If they had something new and novel that would honestly upgrade the original, ala Resident Evil-style, they would of shown something of it by now.. It's obvious they have no clue what they're doing, unfortunately.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2015-12-05 23:13:41 »
I played Dirge of Cerberus, but I think it's the weakest in the compilation.  The gameplay was decent I suppose, neither spectacular or horrible.  I just think they altered the story too much.  The addition of deepground (?) was a far cry from the original.  The other titles in the compilation built off of existing lore, whereas DoC seemingly just added its own.

I do think the addition of Genesis could have been really interesting.  All the G reports in Dirge and his change to a good guy at the end of Crisis Core could have made for an interesting sequel.  It gave him some depth.  I just don't think his character was handled well in CC.  All the poem reading was a bit over the top for me.

Nothing will ever be the original though.  That was the first experience many of us had for such a huge story.  Even with the clunky translation, it always felt like an epic quest.  The FMVs were amazing.  The 3D wasn't the best for its time, but it still wowed us.  It's unlikely we'll ever get that same enjoyment out of a video game ever again.