Author Topic: FF7 Remake general thread  (Read 83887 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 Remake Gameplay Reveal
« Reply #25 on: 2015-12-05 23:14:56 »
I got a very close feeling to VII when I played FFX.  In fact, I loved the series until X-2 came along.  The direction then  changed completely post Sakaguchi and hasn't looked back since.

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2015-12-05 23:23:46 »
Oh my lord, get the wahmbulance.

If you don't like this then just play the original.

Like seriously these problems people have are so damn nitpicky.

Everyone and their mother has wanted a remake, you got it after more than a decade, just deal with it.

You know what you get with Nomura. We all know he is a narcissistic turd that hasn't produced anything good in a long time.

Regardless, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy it.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2015-12-05 23:27:49 »
Didn't really like Dirge, just didn't feel right, felt slower than I kinda expected it to be, don't even remember much about it other than a few bits in bobs.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2015-12-05 23:34:06 »

If you don't like this then just play the original.

People who say that need to be shot. It's become a tired cliche when someone criticizes something. Those of us who have a problem with this remake have just as much right to post as someone who, for some bizarre reason, like it (apart from the ones who have been shot  ;D ).  We don't need to do anything. 

We certainly will "just play the original" - a game that had a soul and led to the enormous support that led to this remake. But we will also continue to post our feelings on the remake - which we feel (so far... and unlikely to change) is a crappy, soulless, little cash in, aimed at what I usually term the lowest common denominator.

My opinion on this remake is based on what I've seen, and I have every right to be annoyed at it and especially the direction that games continue to head in.

Also, I can assure you I have been very consistent in NOT WANTING A REMAKE for the last five years - and all based on what that trailer is clearly showing us has occurred.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-06 00:10:05 by DLPB »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2015-12-05 23:38:36 »
I thought X was okay.  It just never really pulled me into the story.  I personally blame the voice acting; if it's not great, the game always suffers (and I'm not the biggest fan of the FF7 voice actors, though it could just be a problem with the director).  The only other games I've played that really pulled me into their environment and made me daydream of playing was Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time, and The Last of Us.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2015-12-05 23:46:49 »
The VO in FFX is some of the worst next to mid 90's stuff, see also the original Resident Evil.

Wakka being a prime offender along with that damn laughing scene, DiMaggio is normally great but they wanted Wakka to sound Samoan or Maori or something like that and he just sounds like an idiot.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2015-12-05 23:50:10 »
I personally blame the voice acting

"HA-HA-HA"

On another note though, it kind of reminds me (from afar) of Type-0, which is a very good game by itself, even though it originally was tied to the FFXIII universe. I played it thinking of it as a standalone game, and it did me wonders. If I'm going to play the remake, I'm going to play with that mindset again, in that it's a different game and not the original.

While I do agree that after FFX the quality went down by FF standards, it doesn't mean the games are bad by themselves. The games ARE good. FFXII was really great, I loved it. I quite enjoyed FFXIII, and I'm currently enjoying FFXIII-2. I'm not going to let nostalgia prevent me from playing new games, although lately I've been replaying FFIV. Classics are immuable, and they remain classics. New games are new experiences, and they may or may not become classics in their lifetime. FFVII wasn't a classic when it came out early in 1997. It became so over time. Let's say you disliked FFVI, would you have not played FFVII because of that? Well, you'd have missed out on a great game let me tell you that!

Just my perception on the whole thing.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2015-12-06 01:55:50 »
Welcome to the state of the games industry for the last 15 years or so.
Quoted for truth.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2015-12-06 01:59:56 »

Sooooo... turn based?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2015-12-06 02:38:37 »
FFXII behaved very much in this way; this was real-time but you had your ATB fill up before you could act. FFXIII was similar yet different; haven't played the more recent ones. If they went for this venue in XII/XIII, this wouldn't surprise me if they decided to go there for this one too.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2015-12-06 02:42:27 »
People who say that need to be shot. It's become a tired cliche when someone criticizes something. Those of us who have a problem with this remake have just as much right to post as someone who, for some bizarre reason, like it (apart from the ones who have been shot  ;D ).  We don't need to do anything. 
Yes, but saying it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again doesn't add to the discussion. Once you've voiced your concerns, repeating them ad nauseum really does come across as senseless whining.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2015-12-06 03:45:52 »
Sooooo... turn based?
I noticed the defend, hence why I edited my first post to say something more along the lines of that it might still be turn based because when I watched it again technically nothing was shown that explicitly showed it being in real time. Nice find with the ATB bar though, I missed it and could give more hope that it might still be turn based.

Edit: On another note - I'm still pissed that he looks nothing like either the new Dissidia Cloud or the Smash Bros Cloud, both of which look much better from a design perspective. The Cloud in this trailer is the worst looking one I've seen yet IMO.

Edit 2: Kitase says that he cannot say that the FF7 remake is completely action-oriented (or something along those lines) here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JYdkLp5XaQ
« Last Edit: 2015-12-06 05:14:19 by StickySock »

Calone

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2015-12-06 07:13:57 »
Since this is going to be on the PC as well, will it be possible to mod the face so that Cloud doesn't look like he is a meth addict?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2015-12-06 07:47:12 »
Yes, but saying it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again doesn't add to the discussion. Once you've voiced your concerns, repeating them ad nauseum really does come across as senseless whining.

Pretty rude. So do people saying how awesome it is and how the rest of us need to stop criticizing.  When that stops, I guess the rest of us will. There is nothing more annoying than a hype machine that keeps on rolling.  If it is a whinge, so be it. I think you're a tad annoyed that pretty much everything I said would happen - did.  And Star Wars is next.  ;)

"I don't care about your politicsssss"

Since this is going to be on the PC as well, will it be possible to mod the face so that Cloud doesn't look like he is a meth addict?

lmao.  I know you're semi joking but... even if possible, most forums won't allow that content change to be hosted.  Plus the biggest issue aside from how crap "new" Cloud looks... is how he sounds.  There really is no fixing that. Plus I'm getting the distinct impression that things are far worse than I predicted, because the changes they've made to the script (total rewrite) imho are much worse than I expected. Some Hollywood type drivel included. I spotted the odd cliche line in there too.

On the "turn based" - having a "defend" option doesn't really say much.  They've probably just incorporated half damage as you're running around as normal in realtime. You never know, but it's a slim hope. They've changed absolutely everything else, so it's very unlikely they've kept something that a few of us "dinosaurs" actually found appealing.  The trailer does seem to support a more real-time oriented system.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-06 11:17:43 by DLPB »

Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2015-12-06 09:36:12 »
You do realize this is just a video, in like what is it Alpha state? I don't even know. I haven't really researched much about it. Which may sound odd, but in an ideal state I would have ignored my curiosity for the trailers and just awaited the games release. Whenever that will be.

It seems though that SE is using a similar battle system as XV, and why wouldn't they? Save both money and time.

The negative stuff for me was the sunglasses for Barrett, that seems really off. I know it's because it looks "cool" but still. Cloud looks a bit off maybe, I think it's hard too say since the pacing was quite fast in the trailer. But I really dislike the crouching and moving through rubble, I have done that a million times in other games I don't need it here.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2015-12-06 09:40:40 »
The characters look okay, from a technical standpoint... I hate the style though. They should have made them more anime-like. Instead they opted for that awkward pseudo-realistic style which I started to hate ever since Advent Children came out.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you just can't try to be 'realistic' but at the same time give these characters stupid anime haircuts and boyish faces. It just doesn't work together. You either go in fully realistic direction or make them look more anime-ish, there is no inbetween, it looks stupid especially on male characters. I can't take any male character seriously because of this. Barret is the only one that looks acceptable, but he was always meant to look very masculine in the first place.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2015-12-06 09:52:48 »

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that you just can't try to be 'realistic' but at the same time give these characters stupid anime haircuts and boyish faces. It just doesn't work together. You either go in fully realistic direction or make them look more anime-ish, there is no inbetween, it looks stupid especially on male characters. I can't take any male character seriously because of this.

That's an excellent point. It's like when you put crazy slapstick into a serious film. It's a different style that can't work when mixed. It's amazing that the people writing the game don't seem to know or care about that. Aside from the style, the original game wasn't anywhere near as crazy as that trailer looks.  You can say that the graphical limitations back then stopped the kind of James Bond bullet dodge we saw there, but I think it runs much deeper than that. This is clearly HEAVILY geared towards fast paced unrealistic action set-pieces.  The original game stayed within its own physical limitations - and this one isn't even trying.  Much like the prequel sequel stuff (Advent Children being the worst example).

It's important because, without a believable foundation, you don't get believable situations or characters.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-06 09:56:17 by DLPB »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2015-12-06 11:44:11 »
My biggest wories are how they work out the story. I assume it will the same confusing flat shit as in KH2. I like the KH universe but only because of its Disney characters.
At the time it Loks like "Cloud May Cry" with the Dessidia RPG battle system.

Why they ruin the charm oft the game is beyond my understanding. The camera does not need to be in the third person mode. It would look incredible with the old camera position as well. Also would the old design together with the new graphic engine take the game over all these hack'n Slash pseudo RPGs.

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2015-12-06 12:44:50 »
Everything is pretty much the way I expected it, so I'm pretty torn on the issue.

I was expecting the transition to an action based system, however it does seem to be going the route that my insider suggested it would, with attacks being real-time, and the commands only being accessible once the "ATB"/attack gauge powers up - which to my mind is better than the other action system alternatives
Also, it seems that characters will have more personalized skills besides the limit breaks. Cloud's braver attack, and Barret's big shot have been reduced to regular power attacks accessible when the ATB fills up rather than actual limits (the limit bar is never charged during any of the attacks, and the attacks lack any sort of consistent signifying charge up, like the original limit break).
Character swapping is retained as well.
So, although it will certainly be a game with its share of hacking and slashing, it might actually be able to retain some semblance of the original strategy of the older games (if the can get the A.I right that is).

So in conclusion, I think the game-play looks okay. Nothing special, but not horrible either.
I actually welcome the new 3D camera set-up and the exploration aspect, since that will add to our ability to experience more of the world in a new way, and you can still retain the cinematic camera angles in events and cut-scenes in either case.

The bigger issue, which I am surprised more people haven't picked up on, is how an action system without transitional battles is going to effect world-design, enemy model count, and the more large-scale battles of the original.
There are just so many areas in the original game and boss encounters that don't lend themselves well to an action based system where battles take place in the same environment as the exploration. Also, now they're going to have to create much more extensive animations and A.I scripts for the various enemies, meaning we're likely to see a large cut-down in enemy model count - so get prepared to hack through hundreds of Soldier grunts and whatever ad nauseum.

My biggest issue here is probably the style.
Don't get my wrong though, I already knew they were going to go the realistic route, but seriously though - this Cloud looks so stupid it hurts my eyes. How is it they can fail to make Cloud look good right after the new Dissidia game managed to make him look at least half-way decent and, Smash Bros made him look completely awesome?

When he's in motion, and the details are blurred he looks okay, but seriously, when you get the opportunity to absorb the details in still scenes, he looks retarded.
The hair looks like one of those cheap greasy wigs that Cloud cos-players tend to use, his face is creepy as hell, and his arms and wrists are so skinny it looks like he's suffering from some sort of eating disorder.
Barret looks like Wesley Snipes, nuff said.

This is extremely grating to me, since Biggs and Jessie look really good. How is it that two minor support characters have better models than the actual main cast characters?

It's insane - I'm pretty much an FF7 purist, still I can learn to live with almost everything in this trailer and play and enjoy this game for what it is - but that Cloud model just completely messes with my mind. I don't want to spend 40+ hours looking at that freakishly ugly mug and that weird god damn hair. I'd even prefer the AC or CC model to whatever that's supposed to be.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2015-12-06 14:11:33 »
The most hilarious thing to me has always been that, while I get slated for "changing FF7" by numerous fanboys online, these same people  have absolutely no problem with the entire style, gameplay, translation or otherwise being changed by Square. The exact same people (not gonna bother posting links, just visit most fan forums), an even bigger change, and yet no outcry. Actually, the complete opposite: the changes are applauded as a master stroke. It gets me every time. I can only imagine the wave of hate I would get if I used phrases like "I don't care about your politics" (I never would use that) and other dialogue we heard from the trailer.

"You're doing this for the planet... same as us"  "Not interested"  hahaha  The delivery of the lines is terrible.  Even amateur VA can do far better than that.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-06 14:21:53 by DLPB »

Calone

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2015-12-06 14:41:35 »
To be honest, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. It's nice finding a place with such similarity in opinion. I thought maybe it was just me being overly critical, but yeah, these are the same complaints I have and I'm just beyond disappointment. I saw someone post a picture of Cloud's portrait from the Nibelheim flashback and compare it with the remake's close up stating they "don't see virtually any difference". Like really?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2015-12-06 15:58:36 »
Pretty rude. So do people saying how awesome it is and how the rest of us need to stop criticizing.  When that stops, I guess the rest of us will. There is nothing more annoying than a hype machine that keeps on rolling.  If it is a whinge, so be it. I think you're a tad annoyed that pretty much everything I said would happen - did.  And Star Wars is next.  ;)

"I don't care about your politicsssss"

lmao.  I know you're semi joking but... even if possible, most forums won't allow that content change to be hosted.  Plus the biggest issue aside from how crap "new" Cloud looks... is how he sounds.  There really is no fixing that. Plus I'm getting the distinct impression that things are far worse than I predicted, because the changes they've made to the script (total rewrite) imho are much worse than I expected. Some Hollywood type drivel included. I spotted the odd cliche line in there too.

On the "turn based" - having a "defend" option doesn't really say much.  They've probably just incorporated half damage as you're running around as normal in realtime. You never know, but it's a slim hope. They've changed absolutely everything else, so it's very unlikely they've kept something that a few of us "dinosaurs" actually found appealing.  The trailer does seem to support a more real-time oriented system.
I have only seen a few people speak positively of this game here, and they have not done the fanboy hype thing. Not on these forums, anyway; that's more of a gamefaqs thing. The people on this forum have largely posted their opinion once and moved on, whether that opinion is positive or negative (and negative actually seems to be the majority opinion on this forum with only a few people like myself even going as high as mixed and almost nobody being legit hyped) , only posting again to add to their opinion such as if a new video easy released. I have seen you post almost the exact same thing word for word several times in this thread alone complaining about fanboys and hype, and it definitely gives the impression of going well beyond disliking the game into doing so obsessively.

There's nothing at all wrong with not being excited for the game, with thinking it's gonna be crap, but is it really that hard to say so and move on like everyone else?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2015-12-06 16:15:16 »
I guess it is.  My level of hate to it is very great and I believe for good reasons.  And I'm sure before the end I'll have to endure another load of cutscenes and trailers and posts that piss me off no end. And then I'll probably be back.  I'd much rather be here saying how well they've done and how much they've proven me wrong - but it's just the opposite.  I'm sure a lot of people here, even  those critical of the remake so far, will enjoy it for what it is.  But I can't ever be one of those people, because I see this game and many like it as an affront to game making and a slap in the face of intelligence.

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2015-12-06 16:50:27 »
I guess it is.  My level of hate to it is very great and I believe for good reasons.  And I'm sure before the end I'll have to endure another load of cutscenes and trailers and posts that piss me off no end. And then I'll probably be back.  I'd much rather be here saying how well they've done and how much they've proven me wrong - but it's just the opposite.  I'm sure a lot of people here, even  those critical of the remake so far, will enjoy it for what it is.  But I can't ever be one of those people, because I see this game and many like it as an affront to game making and a slap in the face of intelligence.

See you have a condescending and incendiary tone. As covarr said, just deal with it and move on. You want to continue to express this obsessive hatred, then go blog about it because it's really annoying to see the same tired "argument."

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2015-12-06 17:01:52 »
To be honest, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. It's nice finding a place with such similarity in opinion. I thought maybe it was just me being overly critical, but yeah, these are the same complaints I have and I'm just beyond disappointment. I saw someone post a picture of Cloud's portrait from the Nibelheim flashback and compare it with the remake's close up stating they "don't see virtually any difference". Like really?
How ignorant does one have to be to not see that difference? If it wasn't for this kind of "fans" there would be a huge strawberriesstorm over the whole art direction already. The sad part is that most of these "fans" didn't even play FF VII back in the day when it came out, if at all. A lot of them only got introduced to FF VII by the compilation and AC and think that's the definitive art direction for every future FF game.

We as fans of the original game seem to be a small minority these days and our complaints don't get noticed or taken seriously when in fact our complaints ARE very justified and NEED to be noticed by Square Enix, but now it seems too late anyway. :(