Author Topic: FF7 Remake general thread  (Read 83888 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 Remake Gameplay Reveal
« Reply #50 on: 2015-12-06 17:07:27 »
See you have a condescending and incendiary tone. As covarr said, just deal with it and move on. You want to continue to express this obsessive hatred, then go blog about it because it's really annoying to see the same tired "argument."

Thanks for the advice.  :-*

@Fischkopf

Without a proper fanbase like us, Square wouldn't be anywhere.  But as you say, we're no longer needed as part of their long term plan.  It's obvious looking around the forums at "fan" reactions that the game will sell  well regardless of how bad it is and that's been true for years where FF is concerned. The good news is that this forum is the place to be, generally, when it comes to having a real passion for what once made the series great. And here, we can at least mod the game to improve things further.  There is  whole backlog of games I have to finish too, so it's not like I NEED to rely on these sham releases.  It's just very annoying it's come to this and that after FFX I personally haven't been able enjoy a FF game (and I stopped buying them after XII).
« Last Edit: 2015-12-06 17:32:21 by DLPB »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2015-12-06 17:38:25 »
I haven't supported SEs releases after X.  The series just isn't enjoyable to me anymore.  To me, it feels like the stories just aren't as good as they used to be.  The fact that they used to be turn based means little or nothing to me.  If the story looks good, and the characters are interesting, I'm in.
I already know the story in the FF7 remake is going to be good, and the characters will still be interesting.  They seem to be making a genuine effort to keep it close to the original.  There aren't buckles everywhere, Cloud isn't emo, story progression seems very similar.  The gameplay is changed because turn based would look ridiculous with realistic style graphics.  Nothing is going to feel like the original, there was never any need to hold onto hope that that would be the case

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2015-12-06 17:52:24 »
The reason I'm not too bitter of the remake is because it's easy to understand that this is all we are ever going to get. We still have the original, we have all of the spinoffs (be they good or not), and now we have a remake in the style of the spinoffs (which may or may not be good). I'll play around with the remake for a while and judge it based on its own merits, and if it isn't that great I'll still fondly keep memories of the original and continue to replay it every year or so.

If there is anything to be worried about, its that "Cannon" Cloud will now be Advent Children Cloud, while the original will be repeatedly shat on by people who only know him from the new stuff. But at the end of the day, convincing people that FF7 is great and that Cloud is awesome isn't something I pictured myself doing either way, so I guess it's not that important. For those who are genuinely fans of AC, CC, and the rest, I am happy for them, because all of the content of the original in a style that they seem to like would probably be pretty amazing.

It's just very annoying it's come to this and that after FFX I personally haven't been able enjoy a FF game (and I stopped buying them after XII).
The funny thing is that means you only missed one main entry non-MMO FF, even though FFXII came out 9 years ago (nearly 10).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2015-12-06 17:58:31 »
Well, haven't played any of the spin offs either (like cc ac bc cc dc ec or acdc whatever)... or any other releases.    :-P

But that is a shocking truth you mention.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-06 18:09:43 by DLPB »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2015-12-06 18:01:00 »
Crisis Core is a surprisingly solid game. It completely wrecks continuity, and I can't recommend it for the story, but it's quite fun.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2015-12-06 18:10:07 »
After watching the trailer yet again, I've noticed something odd about the ATB bar. A portion of it fills up with each attack, and when it's filled it seems to be when Barrett and Cloud are using their limit breaks, while the limit bar is never shown filling up (but then again, Barrett Cloud aren't shown being hit either).

How much trust should we have in these menus not just being there as a conceptual placeholder? I'm pretty sure some of the early FFVS13 footage was also said to have fake menus or something like that.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2015-12-06 18:29:44 »
After watching the trailer yet again, I've noticed something odd about the ATB bar. A portion of it fills up with each attack, and when it's filled it seems to be when Barrett and Cloud are using their limit breaks, while the limit bar is never shown filling up (but then again, Barrett Cloud aren't shown being hit either).

How much trust should we have in these menus not just being there as a conceptual placeholder? I'm pretty sure some of the early FFVS13 footage was also said to have fake menus or something like that.
I'm pretty sure the same thing was noted in a Kingdom Hearts trailer with menus not working but actions happening on screen, so I wouldn't put too much stock into how it does or does not work at this point

NeuroticNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2015-12-06 22:11:22 »
I dunno it brought some nostalgia back from my childhood especially seeing that kick in the beginning I was like "haha i remember that!"

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2015-12-06 23:11:43 »
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the interface we see is a 'dummy' one to show the intent rather than a final build. I heard that it's not "completely" action based, and "strategy" will be involved, although in FF strategy is mostly in your menu /set up, so it wouldn't need to be much to be authentic! :L

I did like how AVALANCHE looked, Jessie is cute. That kick was spot on. Wedge sounded weird, but I guess it's supposed to be endearing because he's a softie ("I'm rolly poly!"), have to wait and see.

I enjoyed Crisis Core for what it was, especially considering it was a hand held title. Seeing locations and monsters in greater detail was fun. Genesis and Angeal though... Argh! Apples, poetry, honour... It's too much.

Also, I hadn't noticed the AC, BC, CC, D(o)C thing before! Neat.

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: 2015-12-07 01:30:47 »
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

While I'm trying to remain neutral on the remake(even though there are parts of the trailer that irked me), not sure how I feel about this statement. I could be reading/understanding it wrong, but it feels like, to me, it's going an episodic route? I doubt they'd sell the game in pieces(or rather I dislike that method), but knowing SE I wouldn't put it past them. But like I said, I could be reading it wrong.

http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/586/final-fantasy-vii-remake-showcased-at-playstation-experience

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2015-12-07 02:02:27 »
While I'm trying to remain neutral on the remake(even though there are parts of the trailer that irked me), not sure how I feel about this statement. I could be reading/understanding it wrong, but it feels like, to me, it's going an episodic route? I doubt they'd sell the game in pieces(or rather I dislike that method), but knowing SE I wouldn't put it past them. But like I said, I could be reading it wrong.

http://press.na.square-enix.com/releases/586/final-fantasy-vii-remake-showcased-at-playstation-experience

It most likely means that games like Crisis Core might also get remade in order to have the "whole storyline".
I doubt they would split up the game into parts... They could also be considering some DLC extras.

Is it just me or does Wedge sound like Bugs Bunny after a decade of heroin abuse?

Also about Barret, the sunglasses are definitely new but they do add to his "badass" look, looks nice overall.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-07 02:05:04 by -Ric- »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2015-12-07 02:09:22 »
FFIV: The After Years (which is *really* good btw) was episodic. Each main character had their own little story, and then you could load your completed save games in the final chapter and play with all your maxed out characters. I'm guessing that this is the route that they're going to take (or rather, I hope so). It's a good mechanic IMO, but I have no idea how it will work with that game.

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2015-12-07 02:13:57 »
I can see it now... "Final Fantasy VIIR-3: Aerith Returns"

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 2015-12-07 02:50:51 »
It most likely means that games like Crisis Core might also get remade in order to have the "whole storyline".
I doubt they would split up the game into parts... They could also be considering some DLC extras.

Is it just me or does Wedge sound like Bugs Bunny after a decade of heroin abuse?

Also about Barret, the sunglasses are definitely new but they do add to his "badass" look, looks nice overall.

I'm not against that. CC had solid combat, even if the story(Angeal and Genesis) didn't appeal to me that much. It would increase my chances of picking it up. I'm not sure myself. I'd just rather have the whole game up front and not have to wait for episodes. "The Walking Dead" is an example I mean, but I do enjoy the games. The reason I thought this was because I have doubts about them having the game done before whatever date they'll have set. FF15 was in development purgatory for the longest time for whatever reason. Not against DLC. I invite it as long as no content from the original game is taken out to be sold later.

Not sold on the sunglasses myself. Just don't see a reason for him to wear them. Just keep picturing him as Blade for some reason. :P And "deal with it" memes with him keep popping into my head too because I'm strange.

FFIV: The After Years (which is *really* good btw) was episodic. Each main character had their own little story, and then you could load your completed save games in the final chapter and play with all your maxed out characters. I'm guessing that this is the route that they're going to take (or rather, I hope so). It's a good mechanic IMO, but I have no idea how it will work with that game.

I'm not against it if it's in that fashion. I like FFIV: The After Years, too. Enough to get it on Steam. :P If that's the route taken then even I'm curious on how it's implemented.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2015-12-07 04:13:26 »
I hope the remake touches on what happened to the drugged and defenseless Cloud at the end of Crisis Core and how he made his way into the bombing mission, I never understood how he survived on his own inbetween those two time periods

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 2015-12-07 05:02:06 »

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience.

They can't be fcking serious!!!

This really pisses me off to no end right now. How can they casually make such a cataclysmic announcement, like it's nothing? It seems they are seriously trying to ruin everything that was good about the original game. One of the greatest things about the original game was the nonlinear nature and by going episodic they simply destroy that whole aspect of the game. Free-roaming was also a very integral aspect in the original. Will this mean you won't have access to the whole world map as you progress through the story? Another great thing about the original was that as you progressed, people in places you have visited before would have new things to say, depending on the progress of current events.

I think this announcement just ruined the game for me and robbed me of the last bits of enthusiasm I had left for this game. I seriously thought it was going to be this big huge game, similar to the original. How naive of me, I guess.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-07 05:06:34 by Fischkopf »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2015-12-07 05:14:10 »
Didn't I say that they will split the game to reach the anniversary and max out the profit for the game... Wait what if they do reading this page...
 Whoops :-[

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 2015-12-07 05:28:36 »
I'm holding off on judging the episodic nature until I see:

1. How they're splitting the episodes
2. How much they're charging per episode

I'm not opposed to this intrinsically, but there is an exceptionally high chance they'll do it wrong.

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2015-12-07 06:56:01 »
To be fair, it doesn't actually say that it's going to be episodic, but that it's going to a part of multi-part series, which sounds more to me like they might be planning to remake the entire compilation I.E that FF7 will be the first part of the series, and then perhaps Crisis Core and AC being delivered after.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2015-12-07 07:57:21 »
This looks like it might be fun. I'm actually a big fan of the KH gameplay, so it doesn't bother me at all to see them reusing that. I'm less a fan of some of the visual choices they've made, and I never liked this voice cast. Seems like this can probably only be enjoyable taken as an entirely new thing and pretending it's not a remake.

I completely agree, except I don't like the voice actors except for clouds but even his, I would rather they just keep the text format and not dumb things down for kiddies or even adults who don't like to read. Dubs almost always sound forced with a few exceptions(Fullmetal alchemist, some parts of dbz, and a very few other shows/games). I think I would have liked ffX a lot more if it was just text instead of dubbed. Or maybe give us the option of the original Japanese voices with subs in a game for once!

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2015-12-07 08:10:42 »
It sounds to  me as if every character gets his story as they have done it in FFXIII.

Anyway this means that a traditional remake by us isn't in danger. Well as long we don't make it to good, so it won't a danger for the Re-what-ever-they-think-it-is in SE eyes.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2015-12-07 08:33:53 »
Haha, you couldn't make it up.  Assuming that this isn't a part by part release of FF7 (which would be the most laughable thing for 100 years), why on Earth would we need the spin offs re-releasing?  I mean, I know they're crazy for cash - but not even I saw that coming.

Edit.

Although I always favoured the idea that they'd work chapters into a remake (seamless gameplay of the original would be much harder to do - and they don't want that.  Heaven forbid).  I just never thought they'd stoop this low.  Assuming they have.  I can't even believe they'd do that.  But if they have... WOW.  :P  But, if so, I guess this really shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.  When you let a game company rip the piss out of fanbase for over a decade, these things happen.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-07 08:50:25 by DLPB »

hian

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2015-12-07 10:04:45 »
Seems I was wrong about this AKA right all along about the format of this game, as per my insider and my industry knowledge.

Interview is in at famitsu. Translating it now, since the gematsu one leaves a lot to be desired, but they pretty much came out and said that the game has to be split up in parts because the original is just too big, and has too much content to be "remakable" in the fidelity that they've set for themselves.

Now ignoring how this statement is obvious BS, because splitting the game up in no way changes the amount of work if you truly plan on remaking everything, it just allows you put out something to the market quicker which may or may not allow you to prolong the total development-cycle, it really proves my point of how the AAA industry and the "we have to make pretty games that satisfy everyone"-mentality screws over the entire art and the medium of gaming.

I'd happily accept lower-end graphics if it meant that they'd be able to faithfully recreate the entire world in full 3D and release the game in a single package. In fact, as I've already stated, the Smash Brothers design and graphical level would still be more than enough to satisfy my wants for a remake.
They've completely shot themselves in the foot.

Now they'll release the game split up into segments which means :

A.) probably huge content cuts, because there is literally no need to provide a world-map or most of the non-essential segments to the plot (such as the Chocobo farm, the first Fort Condor battle, most of the dungeons/areas that you traverse in-between towns and essential plot locations etc. when you can simply segue from episode to episode of the only truly important scenes of the plot on a select menu.

Originally, I had though that the vague statements I had to go on originally from my friend combined with the first trailer meant that they were going to use Future Midgar as a hub to re-tell the story, but now it might actually mean that all we're getting is an interface with an episode selection menu, and then being transplanted into self-contained story-segments and locations with only character stats carrying over.

B.) That the game will probably see a much earlier release than we first though, but that each episode will be separated by large chunks of dead-time while we wait for the developers to complete the next segment, which essentially means that we'll be forced to play the game on and off for years, or wait until the entire thing is out.

C.) Extra expenses - and seeing as how the format is excellent for micro-transactions and optional side-content, we're possibly looking at another really contrived entrance in the PSN store with a ridiculous total cost.

D.) Bugs. When you take your time developing a game and deliver it in one chunk, chances are you've play-tested the game from start to finish several times to make sure the different elements truly work with one another, and that everything has been given the same quality control.
Rushing out one part at the time truly throws into question how well these parts are going to work together, and how much time and quality control will be given to each one of them.
Taking into account the transition into a much more technically complex game-play system with much larger room for bugs, such as clipping issues, A.I issues, etc.
Look forward to having Guard Scorpion getting stuck in rails and making endless pirouettes trying to get out - or Cloud falling through a wall into black oblivion forcing you to reset the game.

Seriously SE go F yourselves for ever. I seriously hope this project bankrupts you, and you end up having to sell the IPs to Mistwalker studios or something. Sad thing is, they probably wouldn't buy it, because Sakaguchi has already moved on from this train-wreck.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #73 on: 2015-12-07 11:21:58 »
If it was a straight remake I honestly doubt it'd sell well, chances are it still won't sell all that well, you can't exactly remake a game in this decade purely for those of us who played and fell in love with the original nearly 20 years ago, that's asking for poor sales, you would need to appeal beyond your core audience and that's what they've done and it had to be done to even make the effort worth the cost of even a straight remake.

Hmmm, I dunno. I think it would be fully possible for SE to make a "simple" remake using the original source material. The production cost would drop significantly. No, they obviously want a blockbuster with this. With that in mind, all you said here is pretty much true.

But why MUST it be like that? I get this presupposition from most people that it HAVE to be a blockbuster, AAA production. Without this mentality, they could cut the production cost in 1/100 and make a solid profit off of it (and at the same time keep the "core-fans" happy).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2015-12-07 12:53:18 »
and has too much content to be "remakable" in the fidelity that they've set for themselves.

Which I have said all along was what they would do and a fundamental reason why this would suck.  Welcome to reality, not hype :P They started with the completely wrong mindset and are creating a game that none of the original fans asked for.  All we wanted was pretty much what I mentioned here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14179.msg198182#msg198182

But no.  They want 1080p bollocks and out of control cutscenes (I mean, is that silly ass James Bond sequence at the start really needed?).  I still didn't think they'd release in parts though - that's just so insulting I don't know where to begin.  This is where gaming is at now... they can't even recreate a game from 1996 hahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's fun reading around the forums, you want to try it. People are doing their best to stay in their self deluded state. "This will mean they can do the game justice"

As if this has anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-07 14:03:24 by DLPB »