Author Topic: How fast did you beat FFVII?  (Read 38712 times)

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
How fast did you beat FFVII?
« Reply #25 on: 2004-12-22 19:22:26 »
I know a guy who actually beat the thing in just over 12 hours.. on the playstation.

it involved a lot of saving and redoing of things and speeding through the text, but, it seems possible.  If thre was anywhere where he could gaina  few more seconds, he'd revert bak to an earlier save.

Fuggin kid was nuts.

He would also take the discs out durring fmvs and pop them back in to save time.

so, it's -possible-, but, really really hard.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #26 on: 2004-12-23 16:42:52 »
Okay, I have seen this topic enough and something has really been bothering me.
Since the day it was created I have been ignoring it and hoping others would do the same, and even though a few didn’t, I hoped eventually it would die down.
It goes on and on and I ignore and I ignore but I think I really must point this out.

blue_heart86’s time is nothing special and already known to be a bug.
This in itself does not bother me.

It’s the cocky way he posts about it, pretending it’s slow and nothing special (we already know it isn’t).  Not only that, but he presents it in a tone pretty similar to, “Oh, it’s not special, but better than anyone here can do.”
The guy still only has one post ever.
He posted this thread, then sat around laughing at everyone trying to figure out how he did it.  Didn’t even bother to reply to your questions.

I mean-

Am I the only one who caught this?
I know I’m not imagining things or misconstruing things.  Not this time.  There is no way around it; blue_heart86’s post here is nothing but cockiness.

I ignored it and just hoped others would see that too and ignore it.
And some people posted but I hoped eventually it would be ignored.
It just never happened, so I finally broke down and posted this.
I’m going to bed.

L. Spiro

P. S.: I only went through the whole game twice: once on the PlayStation® and once on my computer.  My times were ~99:59:59 and ~64:32:40 respectively.

J*** H*******

« Reply #27 on: 2004-12-23 18:35:20 »
« Reply #28 on: 2004-12-24 08:59:09 »
That would be my guess. ;) Egotistical adolescent posturing is nothing new. If people manage to find value in tangents, regardless of the original's goal, I'd treat it as a separate matter. Here, I guess, people have. Ignoring over-inflated egos when they're online is very easy. And my second time through, (with the time bug) was over 80 hours game time (got the strategy guide and it turned out there was a *lot* of stuff I missed.)

yoshi314

• View Profile
i'm lazy :D
« Reply #29 on: 2004-12-24 10:57:21 »
i usually get through the 2nd disk fast, since it's boring to me :/

and i stop at north crater at disc3 to fight some movers [those red jumping balls] and magic pots ['gimme elixir!'] until i get some characters to lvl99 [at least cloud] :D that's where most of the time goes away :D [but they give lots of exp / ap]

i usually get a time around 90 hours [i usually end disc2 with 50-60 hours on the counter, and i end disc one after 45 hours]

btw. i noticed that if your party is relatively high on levels you can sometimes split it into _three_ groups to figth sephiroth. is that a bug or intended behavior?

Radiosity

• Minty Fresh!
    • View Profile
    • Trance Vibes
« Reply #30 on: 2004-12-24 11:41:33 »
The party should always split into three parts to fight Bizarro. I think that's the case anyway, I've never fought him with only one group anyway :)

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2004-12-24 20:56:21 »
I've specificly partied against him with only two sometimes, definetly. I've also noticed that sometimes I have three groups:

2 with 3 and one with the extra character.

Re: i'm lazy :D
« Reply #32 on: 2004-12-25 07:03:50 »
Quote from: yoshi314
btw. i noticed that if your party is relatively high on levels you can sometimes split it into _three_ groups to figth sephiroth. is that a bug or intended behavior?

It's intended behavior. Basically, how well you do in the fight against Jenova ~ SYNTHESIS determines how many parties you get. IIRC, you can have just one party. If it takes you a horribly long time to beat Jenova (say, 10-20 minutes?) you'll just have one party. If it's an even fight (if you take out her tentacles but leave her main body alone until the tentacles come back?), 2 parties. If you sneeze at the start of the battle and she falls over, three parties.
I did a lot of testing on this at one point, but now my memory's fuzzy so I might be wrong. This is just the way I remember it. Anyway, a good way to test it is to give Cloud the Morph Materia. Then, during the battle, only have Cloud attack Jenova, and only let him use Morph. The other characters can be healers. The battle will take awhile because of how little damage you're dealing. Then see if you have one party at the end.

Radiosity

• Minty Fresh!
    • View Profile
    • Trance Vibes
« Reply #33 on: 2004-12-25 11:49:19 »
Ah, that's probably why I always get three parties then. Jenova drops dead with 10 seconds of me entering battle lol Having mastered double cut materias on all three characters will do that :)

hartellage

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2004-12-26 07:32:51 »
When I faught jenova synthisis, I used 1 omnislash to kill her, so
I only had to use 1 party to fight sephiroth.  

What I want to know is, how fast people have beaten Emerald
weapon.  The fastest I did it was a little over 6 minutes. And to
do this, I...

Got clouds hp to 7777 (he was the only one i could seem to do
it with)
Got all of my guys limits full (i used cloud, cid, and vincent)
And I mastered enough counter attacks to have 6 on each
character. (the only other materia i had on them was double-cut,
and revive with a final attack, both mastered)

After 3 minutes of constant 7777 attacks cloud stopped and Emerald
attacked for the first time, after which all characters countered ALOT.
Then I used omnislash, highwind, and chaos, and then a few 4x cut,
and a few more counter attacks.  I dont think its possible to do it
much faster.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #35 on: 2004-12-26 08:57:09 »
Heh, who wants to show him the clip? :P

yoshi314

• View Profile
hmmm...
« Reply #36 on: 2004-12-26 09:15:15 »
btw. i've read a document somewhere on the net called something like 'sephiroth-hp-calculation'. it showed how your levels and fight with jenova synthesis influences hp of his bodyparts [it propably influenced safer sephiroth as well, but i'm not sure]. did someone actually verify this?

[it might be on gamefaqs, or i just looked it up on google some time ago]. maybe it's still on my hd somewhere.if anyone's interested i'll try to dig it up.

« Reply #37 on: 2004-12-26 10:36:13 »
Quote from: Qhimm
Heh, who wants to show him the clip? :P

Hehe. I'll whip it out (by leeching off Aaron.)
http://aaronserv.dyndns.org/!!stuff/qhimm/ff7_emerald.avi

yoshi314: A quick check at FFGuides revealed this. I'm not gonna test it, but it sounds solid. It explains exactly how the Jenova ~ SYNTHESIS fight influences the number of parties, too.

MemphisBleek

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2004-12-26 20:07:13 »
72 hours or sumthing the first time

fear

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2004-12-26 22:39:15 »
so uhh can anybody tell me what items they are using in that video..or matria for that matter...my japanese is a little lacking  :lol:

but other then that...that's awsome

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #40 on: 2004-12-26 23:26:42 »
I think it's a whole bunch of counterattack-mime combos on Barret.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 2004-12-26 23:33:48 »
Really rough Translation......

First start with only Barret and cloud in your party.
Have barett almost ready for a limit break
Make sure that Cloud has W-Item (Pronounced "Double-Item")
Use Hero Drink (英雄の薬) twice on barret.
The hero drink will push barret's limit over and then select "Anger Max"
Barret: POW! POWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOW!
The emerald weapon will attack back at barret.
Barret has Mime and a maxed Counter linked togeather in two different slots on his weapon. (mime-couter) (mime-counter)
Skip cloud's turn.
On Barret's turn, select "mime" and then select barret.
Anger Max will roll over and over and over again.
Wait 1:18 for emerald to die.

fear

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2004-12-26 23:40:20 »
cool thanks :)

hartellage

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2004-12-27 00:48:56 »
I think thats the greatest thing ive ever seen.  It often
amazes me to see videos of japanese people playing
video games. Cause they kick the crap outa them.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2004-12-27 14:43:52 »
Quote from: hartellage
I think thats the greatest thing ive ever seen.  It often
amazes me to see videos of japanese people playing
video games. Cause they kick the crap outa them.

Koreans are worse. Especially with Tekken, Star Craft and a few other titles. All about English anyway... if only we weren't so damn lazy ^^
Like blaytant, I don't see any Japanese heads doing this: http://sircanealotshome.homestead.com/files/10000030.jpg (note: it's a level from Tomb Raider 2, completed in an insanely fast time by a friend of mine, years ago...)

The last time I played FFVII, I tried to zoom through it; I made a few mistakes (like forgetting to set battle speed to max till half way through the game), but I was at about 18 hours at the end of disk 2. So I would have gussed about 22-24 hours.
I guess if I didn't make so many mistakes, I could have done it in under 20.
I've been REALLY tempted recently to dust FFVII off and try again... well, we'll see... ^^

I REALLY don't think 12 hours is possible unless you either, yes, suffer from a bug or go to insane lengths to complete the game fast.

Infact, I wonder what's better for speed play, PC or PSX? I mean, you can skip the movies and stuff on the PSX, but does the timer run while loading? You're going to save seconds here and there since the PC NEVER has to access the slow-ass CD medium while playing...

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2004-12-27 15:09:41 »
I would guess that if you were to do it in 12 hours, you would increase the message speed and avoid a lot of battles, but then you would not be able to beat Sephiroth because you would be so weak.

Radiosity

• Minty Fresh!
    • View Profile
    • Trance Vibes
« Reply #46 on: 2004-12-27 16:00:09 »
Hmm, ok, allowing for cheating for a moment, I wonder how fast it would be possible to do the game, if you maxed out every character... There's a lot of dialog and so on to go through, and random battles are of course immensly annoying when you are trying to do something quickly, but even then... I don't think it would be possible in any less than 8-10 hours. And that would be cheating your ass off.

I might try that - it'd be interesting to see how quickly it can be done with super powerful characters, because if it still can't be beaten in less than, say, 10 hours, I'd seriously be of the opinion that 12 hours is simply impossible with normal characters and no time to level up etc..

yoshi314

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2004-12-28 14:03:01 »
Quote from: Srethron Askvelhtnod

yoshi314: A quick check at FFGuides revealed this. I'm not gonna test it, but it sounds solid. It explains exactly how the Jenova ~ SYNTHESIS fight influences the number of parties, too.

yeah i read this. but is that true? [checking such things out really makes ff7 kinda boring, maybe someone bothered after all]

sfx199:

I would guess that if you were to do it in 12 hours, you would increase the message speed and avoid a lot of battles, but then you would not be able to beat Sephiroth because you would be so weak.

it would be cool at least to be able to skip movies. since they take a lot of time actually.

and if ff7 had ff8's GF system geez....:D it's possible to beat ff8 even with _avoiding_ leveling up, since you get so much stat boost from magic junctions. and most enemies' levels are scaled to yours.

maybe if someone would invest a lot of effort into stats increasing materia...but that would take a looong time. and getting those stat items is really tough as well.
//-----------------
heh this movie rocks, but still the trick with mimicking KOTR all the time sounds way more awesome :D

Radiosity

• Minty Fresh!
    • View Profile
    • Trance Vibes
« Reply #48 on: 2004-12-28 14:15:29 »
Ok, I've decided to test this :) Kinda bored, so it gives me something to do between modelling stuff.

I've given all characters their ultimate weapons (and the next one down for certain characters like Tifa, since Premium Heart is pants unless you keep her on full limit).

Each character has 1 Master Magic, 3 Counterattack, 1 Double Cut (giving 4xCut) 2 HP+ and 2MP+ materias, all mastered. Additionally, each of them has a wizard bracelet and Ribbon.

Limit Breaks are all at either level 3 apart from Tifa who is on level 4.

At the current time, I am just running across the railway bridge towards Corel, before heading to Gold Saucer for the first time. That's taken a little over 3 hours already, running away from almost every random battle and not stopping for any items or being sidetracked by anything.

So, bearing in mind I can easily take out any monster or boss within 10 seconds of the battle starting... and having 9 hours remaining to complete the rest of disk 1, all of disk 2 and disk 3 (north crater), before finally getting to sephiroth... who else thinks this isn't going to happen in under 12 hours? And this is allowing for cheats of course, playing properly would be even less likely.

Well, back to the game :)

Nom_Anor

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2005-01-06 15:11:09 »
Mime + Limits + knights of the round (I if memory serves) freaking rawked hard.  I usually had Cid + Barret + Cloud...and someone always had final strike with pheonix, in case I really messed stuff up.

Fastest time: 4 years ago... about 30 hours.  

Best game:  50-60 hrs.

First time through: 75 hrs.

Good stuff.