Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII downloaded 100,000 times in two weeks  (Read 36572 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII downloaded 100,000 times in two weeks
« Reply #25 on: 2009-07-29 19:54:57 »
lol really?

Was it a deliberate attempt at that accent or was it an attempt at a Glasgow or Edinburgh accent that went wrong and coincidentally sounded like a real accent :-D

Actually, the mythical creature Cait Sith is supposed to be from the Highlands, so maybe a northern Scottish accent is more appropriate.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009-07-29 20:04:20 »
Cait's accent is more of an Highlands and Islands accent, I was a on a course a while back with a guy from up in the northern Islands and his accent sounds like the one Cait has.

At least they gave him some of he dialect too, wouldn't sound right saying "Girl, shut your mouth" in the accent, but saying "lassie, shut yer gob" sounds so much better.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-29 20:07:58 by DragonNinja »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-07-29 20:07:07 »
I'll have to listen to Cait Sith's accent again  :roll:

If he sounds like someone from the Shetlands, for example, I can see why people would think he doesn't sound Scottish

Tekkie.X

• View Profile

Xelane

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-07-29 20:10:41 »

do you.....do you just happen to carry that url address around?

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-07-29 20:13:21 »
No, I went to look for a clip to remind myself of his accent.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-07-29 20:20:11 »

do you.....do you just happen to carry that url address around?

Hey, I always keep a list of urls to random youtube videos. You never know when they're going to come up in conversation; then who's the one who's prepared?  :-P

And I haven't heard an accent like the one in that video before (but I'm sure DragonNinja knows more about the less well-known Scottish accents than I do  :roll:). Still sounds a bit non-Scottish at times, but maybe not.

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #32 on: 2009-07-29 22:48:25 »
Has anyone seen the Monkey Island special edition?
Now that's what I call a perfect re-make. :)

If only we could get something this faithful with FF7...

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-07-29 23:49:35 »
Has anyone seen the Monkey Island special edition?
Now that's what I call a perfect re-make. :)

Except for some bad use of Comic Sans.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-07-30 01:03:30 »
I'm from Glasgow and have family from all over Scotland (and England. Some in Canada and Australia too... it's a big family).

Cait Sith does sound kind-of Northern Scottish, but it's off in some places. Scottish accents can be confusing to someone that's on the outside. The accent and dialect used depends completely on where you stay, and varies from region to region (sometimes these regions can be really small). For example, Glaswegians (me and other people from Glasgow) have a Glaswegian accent. It sounds a bit rougher than most other Scottish accents (we swear a lot more when we talk also). Edinburgh is a 40 minute train journey away, and sometimes Glaswegian's can experience some hostility when they go there. The common nickname for Glaswegian's around Scotland is "Ouija's" (as in, Oujia Board) because of the "Wegia" part of "Glaswegian". You sometimes find it being used in an offensive way (especially in Edinburgh, while there are lovely people there, a good few in my experience seem to think that someone from Glasgow is the shit on their shoe. This attitude is encountered a lot).

My point is, the Scottish accent is very varied. The Motherwell accent (though not very defined) is very different from the Glasgow accent, which is very different from Edinburgh, very different from Aberdeen, very different from Inverness etc etc. The Scottish Islands (i.e. Arran, Bute, Cumbrae, Stornoway, Orkney, Shetland etc) all have their own accents too. Hell, literally a 20 minute walk from my flat and you're in Paisley - they have a different accent.

Example:-

Written - (My father's having a party on saturday night)
Spoken (Paisley) - (Ma fai-thurs huv'n uh pair-eh oan sai-urday nigh')
Spoken (Glasgow (slang)) - (Ma da's huv'n a par-eh oan sa-ur-day night)

The point is, when people try to sound Scottish on the media and they're supposed to be from a specific region (See Desmond from Lost and a character from Alias that was in one episode. My god that was awful, tbh, Desmond's accent is quite well done, however I remember in this particular Alias episode the brother and sister were supposed to be from Glasgow. The guy had an IRISH accent and ties to the IRA. How the hell is that Glasgow!? Grrr. The girl sounded like she was from Aberdeen.)

Sorry about the massive speil, I just need to vent my frustration about this. They always get it wrong. In the case of Cait Sith, I don't really know. It's definitely Scottish, but it doesn't sound like any region i've ever been to. And yes, I've been to the highlands.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-07-30 01:33:08 »
Sorry about the massive speil, I just need to vent my frustration about this. They always get it wrong. In the case of Cait Sith, I don't really know. It's definitely Scottish, but it doesn't sound like any region i've ever been to. And yes, I've been to the highlands.

Perhaps what's going on here is what often happens when Americans try an English accent; they hear people from different regions and end up with an accent that is a kind of mish-mash of cockney, scouse, Yorkshire and god knows what else. Said mish-mash is definitely English and it may even resemble features of one region more than others, but it still doesn't sound like any specific English accent. (I'm sure one of our novomundane cousins will pipe up and tell us that English people often do this when putting on an American accent  :-D)

Or maybe that isn't it. I did also think that he often sounded quite English at the end of sentences. Not at the end of all of them, but at the end of a few. Dunno whether I'm right about this.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009-07-30 19:38:53 »
I thought Steve Burton did a good job for Cloud. I always kinda pictured Cloud as having a somewhat immature (soft/youngish) sounding voice when I played it. Probably due to all his shoulder shrugging. I think it would have been weird if Cloud had a rough or deep voice.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009-07-30 20:09:54 »
but they wrecked Cait Sith by giving him an idiotic accent,

There are far worse accents out there than Scottish I assure you and yes, I do take a little offence to having my accent called idiotic.

Er, I don't think he was calling Scottish accents idiotic; he was calling Cait Sith's ridiculously bad attempt at a Scottish accent idiotic.
Actually, I was mostly trying to say that the fact that he had it was idiotic. It seemed completely random and arbitrary, especially since Reeve, who controls (and presumably voices) Cait Sith, sounds nothing like that.

Of course, if you want to see a lousy attempt at a Scottish accent, look no further than the Demoman in TF2.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-07-30 23:59:48 »
Cait Sith is named after a mythical creature from Scottish mythology, so it's not exactly a random choice of accent. Oh, and there might be a reason why Cait Sith doesn't sound like Reeve; he was originally meant to be a spy, so he would have been programmed to have a voice that Cloud and his friends wouldn't have recognised. Presumably Reeve couldn't be bothered to change it after he was found out  :-D

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-07-31 01:03:37 »
Of course, if you want to see a lousy attempt at a Scottish accent, look no further than the Demoman in TF2.

The demoman is meant to be cheesy to the point of parody though.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-07-31 01:14:37 »
What about Rowdy Roddy Piper:-D

Tekkie.X

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009-07-31 09:24:33 »
Well, he wasn't Scottish at all.

From the wiki page

Roderick George Toombs (born April 17, 1954) better known by his ring name "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, is a semi-retired Canadian professional wrestler and film actor currently signed to World Wrestling Entertainment. Despite having no actual connection to Scotland.

seifertemp

« Last Edit: 2009-07-31 12:26:36 by seifertemp »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-07-31 15:39:41 »
Well, he wasn't Scottish at all.

I think that's obvious to anyone who listens to him  :-D

http://www.blueshinra.com/reeve/encore.shtml

Wait, they think he was meant to sound Irish?  :-o

seifertemp

« Reply #44 on: 2009-07-31 15:52:38 »
I am asking my japanese buddies their opinion on it and will get back to you :P

he speaks with kansai dialect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect

in jap version....  but the myth Cat Sith is known as irish/scottish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Sith

When I get to translating Cait I may use Irish dialect as the alternatative.  We will see

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-07-31 16:02:47 »
Seeing as he seems to be more prominent in Scottish mythology than Irish (at least according to that article) and it's said to haunt the Highlands, I think it would be best for him to have a Scottish dialect instead of an Irish one.

seifertemp

« Reply #46 on: 2009-07-31 16:29:27 »
 :lol:  possibly but we had one of those on final fantasy 9

But yeah

:-D

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009-08-01 00:39:34 »
Quote from: Mystery Moogle
but for Cait, an Irish accent was given to him (the Japanese Cait speaks in a Kansai dialect). Although this was probably done due to the origins of Cait's name, seeing as how Cait didn't sport an Irish accent in the original game, this particular choice of dialect is especially bizarre.

Supreme arse-vomit.

This is what annoys me. It's obviously some moron thats written that up. His accent is DEFINITELY NOT Irish, nor is it supposed to be Irish.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009-08-01 03:02:04 »
Quote from: Mystery Moogle
but for Cait, an Irish accent was given to him (the Japanese Cait speaks in a Kansai dialect). Although this was probably done due to the origins of Cait's name, seeing as how Cait didn't sport an Irish accent in the original game, this particular choice of dialect is especially bizarre.

Supreme arse-vomit.

This is what annoys me. It's obviously some moron thats written that up. His accent is DEFINITELY NOT Irish, nor is it supposed to be Irish.

I thought that as well. I'm constantly surprised at how many people can't tell the difference between Irish and Scottish accents. Well, Northern Irish accents can be easily mistaken for one of those two, but if you're a native speaker of English you have to be pretty ignorant to get southern Irish accents mixed up with Scottish ones. It's only slightly less moronic than not being able to tell the difference between English and Australian accents (apparently some people can't).

seifertemp

« Reply #49 on: 2009-08-01 03:11:50 »
http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Cait_Sith

I do need to know if this is scottish mythology only, because I cannot find any sources to say it is purely scottish.  Accent wise, kansai is just another dialect is it not?  And any other dialect would be good enough for Cait in FF7, all it has to do is to show a difference between reeve and cait, though come to think of it, seeing him speak like an irish person etc might look weird.

Will have to mull it over.  He definately needs a new dialect in the game though
« Last Edit: 2009-08-01 03:27:41 by seifertemp »