Author Topic: FF8 model animation frame reference  (Read 3298 times)

Shard

• View Profile
FF8 model animation frame reference
« on: 2014-03-07 08:57:22 »
I'm making this thread for two reasons.
1) There's currently no way to know how many frames are in a particular model's animation without just playing one, and trial-and-error is a pain because if your frame counts go outside the animation length, the game freezes.
2) People trying to crack the model/animation format of FF8 can look here to get clues based on the frame count of each animation.

Not much yet, but it's a start.

How to read this:
ANIME <animation ID>: <frame count> (description of animation)

d043 (Laguna)
ANIME 0: 3 (stand idle)
ANIME 1: 29 (walking)
ANIME 2: 21 (running)
ANIME 3: 255 (Spazzy vertex stretching)
« Last Edit: 2014-03-07 08:59:18 by Shard »

Vehek

• View Profile
Re: FF8 model animation frame reference
« Reply #1 on: 2014-03-07 10:50:00 »
Um, you can't exactly make a list of animation frame lengths, since model animations are not universal, but tied to the locations they appear in.
Also, no way to tell how many frames? I don't agree. It should be easy to get it from the animation data in each location's chara.one file, and I've written about the field model animation format before.

FF8 Field Models - More information

I feel very, very disappointed. Nobody makes use of my research.  :( It makes for a lot of unnecessary questions and repeated effort.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-03-07 11:23:39 »
I must be missing something, because that doesn't make any sense. If each field has unique models and textures and animations, then there are nearly 1000 different models for each main character in the entire game. That's a metric f***ton of wasted space on the CDs.

In any case, I added a little bit from your long lost thread to the wiki. Right now I'm suffering from programmer syndrome (sunrise is letting me know it's time for sleep) so I have to go pass out.
« Last Edit: 2014-03-07 11:42:00 by Shard »

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-07 21:09:25 »
The only characters with repeated models should be the NPCs. I don't know why the wiki article on the chara.one says that the contained data is only models. For me, when the referenced model is a main character, the data is just animation data. If that wasn't what you meant, well, the PS1 version of FF7 repeated its non-mains all over the place too. I think I heard it's to save CD-ROM seek time.