Author Topic: [FF7PC-Steam] - XBox 360 Controller Fix (2.1)  (Read 97399 times)

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
[FF7PC-Steam] - XBox 360 Controller Fix (2.1)
« on: 2013-09-17 10:15:49 »
FINAL FANTASY 7 - XBOX 360 CONTROLLER FIX
An UNOFFICIAL Mod for Final Fantasy VII (Steam) by Johnny “ThunderPeel2001” Walker

IMPORTANT NOTE: At present this mod only works with the ENGLISH Steam version of FF7. Sorry. Also note that this is an early Beta version and may contain some bugs. Please help by testing it, thanks!

DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/files/FF7-XBoxControllerFix-2.1.exe (32Mb)

Latest version always available here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179295659

What does this mod do?
The 2012 re-release of Final Fantasy VII introduced some great new features: Higher quality videos, fixed script, better music, cloud saves, achievements, etc. It also featured support for the Xbox 360 controller out of the box. Unfortunately, the way the buttons were mapped for the controller was extremely bizarre.

And worse still, it retained the confusing names for each of the buttons. Which button is "ASSIST", "TARGET", "PAGEUP", "SWITCH", etc? There are mini-games where you need to know exactly which button to press at a specific time, and it doesn't help if you don't know what button is being referred to.

THE FIRST PROBLEM

Consider the original PlayStation controller mapping:

Then look at what you get with a 360 Controller by default (seriously!):

Here's what this mod does:

Is that it? What about the button names?
NO! That's not it. Here is where this mod gets special.

First an explanation: When FFVII was being converted to the PC, they couldn’t refer to the button names, because they didn’t know what controller you would have. For example, on the original PlayStation, the game would tell you to press the “L1” button on your controller, but on the PC version it would say press “PAGEUP” – leaving you to guess which button that was.

This mod changes all references to confusing terms like “SWITCH”, “ASSIST”, “TARGET”,  “MENU”, etc. and replaces them with the names of the actual buttons on your Xbox 360 Controller.

Before mod is installed:

After mod is installed:

Every reference throughout the game has been changed, so you never have to get confused about what the game wants you to do!

Sounds good. Anything I should be aware of?
I’m glad you asked. There are only a few small caveats:

1.   At present this mod only works with the Steam version of the game. Sorry.
2.   If you’ve installed any previous mod that alters the game’s script, this will undo those changes until you uninstall it.
3.   The original PlayStation game used the old Japanese button configuration: “X” was CANCEL and “O” was OK – completely backwards to all Western games. If this was preserved, it would mean that “A” would be CANCEL and “B” would be OK. For the sake of everyone’s sanity, I’ve changed these two buttons to their normal Western configuration – “A” is OK and “B” is CANCEL.

Will this break my saves, stop me from getting achievements, etc.?
Nope. This won’t affect any of those things. It’s a very simple mod that only alters one game file: flevel.lgp

So what if I want to uninstall this mod?
Simply go to your Control Panel, click Add/Remove Programs, and double click on “FF7 XBox 360 Controller Fix (Steam)”. This will return your copy of FF7 to how it was before you installed the mod.

HELP!
All support questions and troubleshooting here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179295659

Thanks for reading!

- Johnny “ThunderPeel2001” Walker
« Last Edit: 2017-02-05 15:04:54 by ThunderPeel2001 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 - XBox 360 Controller Fix
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-17 15:50:11 »
Why is this 110 MB? That's awful big for what it does.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-17 16:29:34 »
Why is this 110 MB? That's awful big for what it does.

*FIXED NOW*
« Last Edit: 2017-02-05 15:05:29 by ThunderPeel2001 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-17 18:05:27 »
...changing hundreds of lines of script requires the alteration of large files (i.e. flevel.lgp). I'd love to know how you think it could be made any smaller.

Can't you just change the text that the characters for "[MENU]", "[OK]", etc point to? Starting at 0x91AD46 the text "[OK]" can be changed to be something else. The other texts are close by that too. Just change those texts rather than ALL the lines of dialog in the entire game.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-17 19:53:55 »
Can't you just change the text that the characters for "[MENU]", "[OK]", etc point to? Starting at 0x91AD46 the text "[OK]" can be changed to be something else. The other texts are close by that too. Just change those texts rather than ALL the lines of dialog in the entire game.

Edit: Which file are you referring to? flevel.lgp does not have [OK] anywhere -- certainly not at 0x91AD46 :(
« Last Edit: 2013-09-17 20:19:30 by ThunderPeel2001 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-17 20:18:16 »
Hmm... It sounds like you've repacked the whole lgp. Unfortunately, everything you DIDN'T change is still copyrighted data from the original game, and cannot legally be redistributed.

My recommendation is to repackage this as a .iro file for 7thHeaven, which will allow you to easily distribute just the changes to the LGP.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-17 20:25:37 »
My recommendation is to repackage this as a .iro file for 7thHeaven, which will allow you to easily distribute just the changes to the LGP.

Thanks, I'll look into that, but I'm not entirely sure if it will work -- it's unclear if hundreds of references would slow the game down :-/

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-17 21:36:24 »
Edit: Which file are you referring to? flevel.lgp does not have [OK] anywhere -- certainly not at 0x91AD46 :(

I meant the exe. The 1998 1.02 exe ought to be the same as the exe in the Steam version. Although, it might not run if the md5 doesn't check out. I'm not sure what to do about that. And, actually, that may just be menu text. It's written in FF7Text so it's actually ";/+=", ";#!.#%,=", etc. I think this is what the game uses to display the buttons names.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-18 14:58:16 »
I meant the exe. The 1998 1.02 exe ought to be the same as the exe in the Steam version. Although, it might not run if the md5 doesn't check out. I'm not sure what to do about that. And, actually, that may just be menu text. It's written in FF7Text so it's actually ";/+=", ";#!.#%,=", etc. I think this is what the game uses to display the buttons names.

Yeah, I'm 90% sure that's just the menu text. The ingame scripts (as stored in flevel.lgp) don't seem to make reference to them. In fact, there were a few instances were they referred to non-existent buttons (e.g. [SELECT]). I wish it was a simple as you think it is, but it doesn't look like it.

The bottom line is: The mod will remain at 100MB. There doesn't appear to be any other way around it (I even tried looking at diff patches, but they were 10x bigger than the original file).

It would be fantastic if anyone who installs the mod could report back with their experience. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2013-09-18 15:03:45 by ThunderPeel2001 »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-18 16:16:47 »
I got a virus warning after the download. Also I don't own the steam version, but the 2012.
You can use ToughScript for text editing.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11944.0

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2013-09-18 16:45:37 »
I got a virus warning after the download. Also I don't own the steam version, but the 2012.
You can use ToughScript for text editing.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11944.0

Hmm. Thanks for the heads up re: virus warning. No idea why that would be. Since VirusTotal has a 64MB limit and I don't bother with AV software, could you tell me what you're using and what it said. Thanks.

If someone would tell me the Registry key for the location of the install, and the location of the launcher cfg files in the MyDocuments folder, for the 2012 version, I will happily extend the functionality of the program to include the SE version.

touphScript doesn't work with the 2012/Steam version, btw. Once it does, maybe I could make a smaller install.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-18 16:52:57 by ThunderPeel2001 »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-09-18 17:17:13 »
Microsoft Security Essentials.
Your mod isn't important for me, because I use a PS3 controller.
For a better visual you could use different colors for the buttons. For Y yellow as example.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-09-18 18:11:54 »
Microsoft Security Essentials.
Your mod isn't important for me, because I use a PS3 controller.
For a better visual you could use different colors for the buttons. For Y yellow as example.

Thanks. What did it say exactly? There's nothing in the .exe except binary files and .rtf documents -- the mind boggles as to what it's complaining about.

As for the colours: It'd be great if I could put images (like the original PS version), but I've no idea how I'd go about doing that.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-18 19:42:40 by ThunderPeel2001 »

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-09-18 21:02:19 »
DLPB knows how, ask him.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-09-19 07:56:56 »
Nice work, i don't have the steam version but it is nice to see a mod like this (i use a 360 controller but i use the XBCD drivers to customize the joypad so i can use both Dpad and Analog and change the keys to what i want instead of changing them inside FF7),
Anyway to keep the file-size down on this you could use a patch rather then replacing the whole file, for example if you used "Vpatch" to patch the old flevel to your new flevel it would cut the file-size down by way more then half (although this method would require the person to have the original Flevel, if they had modified it then it wouldn't work).
When "touphscript" supports the newer LGP's this mod should be able to become a lot smaller but until then patching is probably the best way to keep the file-size small (or if you are really extreme you could unpack each map since the files inside a LGP are already compressed which means you can't compress them very well, so if you unpack them first then re-compress them with a better compressor then when people install you would have to unpack the files and re-compress them with the original compression format then put them back into a LGP but that is a lot of hard work and only gets the file-size down to around 60-70mb)

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2013-09-19 08:03:52 »
I should have a ff7-2012 ready touphScript this weekend if everything goes to plan, does anyone know if there are DRM checks on the new exe?

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2013-09-19 14:58:56 »
Nice work, i don't have the steam version but it is nice to see a mod like this (i use a 360 controller but i use the XBCD drivers to customize the joypad so i can use both Dpad and Analog and change the keys to what i want instead of changing them inside FF7),
Anyway to keep the file-size down on this you could use a patch rather then replacing the whole file, for example if you used "Vpatch" to patch the old flevel to your new flevel it would cut the file-size down by way more then half (although this method would require the person to have the original Flevel, if they had modified it then it wouldn't work).
When "touphscript" supports the newer LGP's this mod should be able to become a lot smaller but until then patching is probably the best way to keep the file-size small (or if you are really extreme you could unpack each map since the files inside a LGP are already compressed which means you can't compress them very well, so if you unpack them first then re-compress them with a better compressor then when people install you would have to unpack the files and re-compress them with the original compression format then put them back into a LGP but that is a lot of hard work and only gets the file-size down to around 60-70mb)

Thank you! I've been looking for a decent binary patcher, and I just couldn't find one that didn't generate a patch file that was 600MB+. I just tested vpatch and it created a patch.exe that was only 30MB. And it works!

I'll change the next version to this. Thanks again!

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2013-09-19 15:10:43 »
I should have a ff7-2012 ready touphScript this weekend if everything goes to plan, does anyone know if there are DRM checks on the new exe?

That's also great news.

I believe there's DRM in the SE version, but I'm not sure about the Steam one.

The Steam ff7_en.exe (the English version of the new release) has an MD5 of F7EBFE82B8F7FF9E7DE587880EA02803 if that's any help (although I guess the DRM is probably external to this, if there is any?),

Posts Merged

Hmm. Here's an interesting thing: A French Steam user installed the Mod, but the language didn't change.

I asked him to list the files in data/field and he only had char and flevel. Where's the French version of flevel stored, I wonder? Could I use this knowledge to make the Mod even smaller?
« Last Edit: 2013-09-19 15:57:37 by The Great Covarrtsby »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2013-09-19 15:24:42 »
The different languages has there own flevel.lgps. (sflevel, fflevel, gflevel).

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2013-09-19 15:45:54 »
Ah. That would be why my alteration of flevel had no effect on his language. I'm guessing they're stored in an entirely different folder, too. Thanks.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2013-09-19 15:58:59 »
The 2012 exe uses securom. The 2013 exe uses Steamworks DRM. Neither checks validity of LGP files, though (and I'm not sure they even check their own validity, just license).

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
Re: FF7 - XBox 360 Controller Fix [2.0]
« Reply #21 on: 2013-10-06 22:24:18 »
Version 2.0 is now up! (It's "only" 34MB now.)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2013-10-07 00:22:23 »
Great mod!
Just wondering is this compatible with menu overhaul? Or only applicable on a fresh untouched flevel.lgp and what program did you use to map the buttons? and change the script with Toughscript right? Thinking of doing one for ps2/ps3 controllers which im sure a majority of us use

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2013-10-07 12:04:08 »
Great mod!
Just wondering is this compatible with menu overhaul? Or only applicable on a fresh untouched flevel.lgp and what program did you use to map the buttons? and change the script with Toughscript right? Thinking of doing one for ps2/ps3 controllers which im sure a majority of us use

This only works with a fresh untouched flevel.lgp, I'm afraid :-/

The program I used to map the buttons was the 2012 launcher. I just updated the config.

I may create one for PS controllers at some point, but most people seem to use the XBox controller for PC gaming: It's the only "standard" controller that games tend to automatically work with, and it doesn't require any special adapters or software installations, either.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2013-10-07 20:35:34 »
I am adding the ability to have proper PS buttons for Reunion. Actual graphics.  But the easiest way to do this for any joypad (without graphics) is just use my text replacer program TextChange and change things like [SWITCH] to [Square] and so forth in batch, and then encode the text files using  ts.  It works a charm in no time.

Anyway, it will all be added as option PS joypad wise for Reunion.