Author Topic: $35 iPad  (Read 2903 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: $35 iPad
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-23 21:06:43 »
Bad logic is bad. I don't care how much this thing looks like an iPad, it DEFINITELY isn't. It runs on Linux, which the developers don't have to pay a cent for. Compare this to the iPad, which runs on iOS, and costed Apple actual money to develop. Also consider build quality (doubt the screen is as nice, for example), parts used (I can damn near guarantee this thing isn't anywhere near as powerful as the iPad, but with no spec list it's hard to say exactly), etc. The iPad is loaded up with a TON of Apple-developed software, depending on the version you get it has 3G and GPS, multi-touch screen, etc. Also, keep in mind that the iPad is to be sold at a profit, not to break even, because Apple's not trying to go out of business.

In other words, this is a very flawed comparison, and in no way a decent example of this so-called "Apple tax". Try again when you find a product that's actually a close equivalent.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-07-23 21:14:04 »
Bad logic is bad. I don't care how much this thing looks like an iPad, it DEFINITELY isn't. It runs on Linux, which the developers don't have to pay a cent for. Compare this to the iPad, which runs on iOS, and costed Apple actual money to develop. Also consider build quality (doubt the screen is as nice, for example), parts used (I can damn near guarantee this thing isn't anywhere near as powerful as the iPad, but with no spec list it's hard to say exactly), etc. The iPad is loaded up with a TON of Apple-developed software, depending on the version you get it has 3G and GPS, multi-touch screen, etc. Also, keep in mind that the iPad is to be sold at a profit, not to break even, because Apple's not trying to go out of business.

In other words, this is a very flawed comparison, and in no way a decent example of this so-called "Apple tax". Try again when you find a product that's actually a close equivalent.

U MAD! ;D

We'll have to wait a while and see whether the iPad takes off before someone else decides to make a piece of technology that, like the iPad is great for...erm...I'm not sure. If they do, it will be significantly cheaper. :P

This tablet thingy, of course, isn't being called an equal of the iPad; it's just interesting and amusing to see a computer that costs $35 and amusing that it closely resembles something made by a company whose products are known for being very expensive.

Also, I imagine that a lot of people who buy the iPad will only be doing things with it that this uber-cheap thing will do. 8)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2010-07-23 22:42:51 »
MULTITASK:

BUY THREE IPADS

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-07-23 22:47:07 »
In recall reading an article written by someone who actually did buy a second iPad for multitasking. ;D

Unfortunately, I don't have the link any more. :cry:

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-07-24 02:22:37 »
OSX = Tweaked Linux.

But still, I wouldn't say the ipad is overpriced ... unlike most apple products.

the ipad is actually the first "star trek like" device I've seen (the entreprise series level tech).

I'd consider buying one if the tech was more mature and it ran x86 software.