Author Topic: (FF8 PC) Resetting FF8 audio settings?  (Read 4846 times)

jamin686

(FF8 PC) Resetting FF8 audio settings?
« on: 2008-08-05 03:29:59 »
After installing the Configurator, my music has ceased to work.  Whenever I tried to test the music, it would say 'failed' no matter what I did.  Is there any way to get it back to the way it was?  I'd really appreciate it!

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found the solution in a nother thread.  I'll let you know if it doesn't work!  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2008-08-05 03:35:55 by jamin686 »

Terid__K

Re: (FF8 PC) Resetting FF8 audio settings?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-08-05 03:35:32 »
You're gonna have to be way way WAY more specific than that.

Original or Pirated copy? What Configurator? What are your system specs? Stuff like that.

jamin686

« Reply #2 on: 2008-08-05 04:13:12 »
I'm sorry.

I own the game, but lost my install disc, so I downloaded the torrent for the game (I'm not even just saying that, I have discs 1 and 3 in front of me but can't find the others).

I had it running fine, and using the FF8 Launcher here, http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7248.0, I was running the game at hi res without any problems.  I should've stopped there but the music in the PC version was always so bland to me, so I tried downloading the FF8 Configurator (Ficedula's Version 2.2).  I think that is the point where it stopped working, and I was trying to use Samuel's DSL mod (it was on the same page as the configurator).

I'm running Windows on Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro, and this is the first time I've had a problem I don't know how to fix.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but there is still no music.  I've tried deleting the entire contents of the FFVIII folder (including the Configurator and all that), so I assume the problem lies deeper?  Any help would really be helpful.

And like I said, I CAN use the first disc if I wanted to, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem either.

Terid__K

« Reply #3 on: 2008-08-05 12:11:29 »
Run a cleaning program after uninstalling FF8, such as Ccleaner. That way you'll be sure it's definitely gone.

Also, try getting the install disc from somewhere else if it still gives you problems. Updating your sound card drivers is also worth a shot. If nothing else works, stick to the current music files. They sound good enough to me.

jamin686

« Reply #4 on: 2008-08-06 00:38:50 »
Thanks for all the help.  I tried using CCleaner but still no luck.  Part of the problem is the version of Windows I'm using was one I got from a Korean friend, and it's hacked to all hell.  It's very difficult to reinstall things like DirectX, and even when I use an installer from another computer, it still gets an error.

What I wound up doing was just getting everything to work on an older PC with a not so great monitor, but it's better than nothing.  The sad thing is, I don't even know how much I want to play this game.  I really just wanted to see if I could get the characters running at a high res because it bothered me for years!  I think I might give the game another shot though.  I just remember its story being really convoluted, and kind of incredibly coincidental at times.

It's a shame about the music too.  The orchestral version of the FF8 Battle theme is awesome, but the PC version and PSX versions sound so bland.  The computers I'm using don't have any Sound Blaster cards or anything though, so I won't bother changing the music.

jamin686

« Reply #5 on: 2008-08-08 05:34:40 »
Still no luck, but I feel like I kinda know what the problem is.  It started when I installed the FF8 Configurator (2.2).  I mistakenly tried to add Samuel's DLS but I don't think my sound card is capable of it.  I don't know if it was before or after I tried to add that, but whenever I try to play one of the files in FF8 Configurator, it says 'failed.'  I really wish I could narrow down what is causing the problem.  Midis in FF7 still work fine, and midis work fine outside of FF8 (be it in a browser or what have you).  Could it be that for some reason the game is just having a problem locating the midi files?  I've tried installing it and uninstalling it over and over with now luck.