Author Topic: FFVII PS3 file mod  (Read 46372 times)

mav60

FFVII PS3 file mod
« on: 2010-05-06 01:29:43 »
I was wondering if anyone out there has/has developed/knows where to find a save file editor for the PS3 download of FFVII

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
Re: FFVII PS3 file mod
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-06 08:16:50 »
Hmm.. I know of no one who have done what you're asking for. sorry
« Last Edit: 2010-05-06 08:18:21 by nikfrozty »

Majik

« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-13 09:33:52 »
It's not possible.
The PSV file has a checksum and noone knows how it works.
Checksum must be recalculated in order for PS3 to accept it.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-13 13:07:19 »
i would love to add that feature to Black chocobo, but sadly i don't own a ps3 , if anyone wants to donate one to me. ill be happy to hack that checksum and add the ability to my save editor :)

mav60

« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-13 14:10:23 »
is it possible to make a file converter that can convert from the PSV file to a game file like .ff7 so i can use another editor? or is that checksum thing getting in the way of all that?

p.s. if you want a game file to mess around with to try to get it to work with your Black Chocobo, i can send you one

Majik

« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-13 17:47:45 »
i would love to add that feature to Black chocobo, but sadly i don't own a ps3 , if anyone wants to donate one to me. ill be happy to hack that checksum and add the ability to my save editor :)
You have mad skill if you can figure out how a 40 byte long checksum works without reverse engineering. :o

is it possible to make a file converter that can convert from the PSV file to a game file like .ff7 so i can use another editor? or is that checksum thing getting in the way of all that?

p.s. if you want a game file to mess around with to try to get it to work with your Black Chocobo, i can send you one
Yeah, the PSX save file can be extracted without any problem and can be used on original PSX and emulators.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-13 17:49:50 by Majik »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-13 21:07:34 »
You have mad skill if you can figure out how a 40 byte long checksum works without reverse engineering. :o
i have never seen on of the files. but as i said i would be happy to do so.

@mav60, yes do send me a copy i will see what i can do. i can't promise that it will work and i can't test it so i will have to make my edits and send it back to you. and right now black chocobo does not convert saves so don't try it, the conversion process is in the works.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-13 21:10:19 by sithlord48 »

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-14 07:00:50 »
The 40-bit checksum is not a checksum. It's an digital signature created by the PS3 hardware. You can't alter it unless you have the master key which is owned by Sony.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-14 13:05:55 »
The 40-bit checksum is not a checksum. It's an digital signature created by the PS3 hardware. You can't alter it unless you have the master key which is owned by Sony.
so in otherwards you basicly have to hack the DRM of the ps3 to edit the save file , yea i would for sure need at least one ps3 to even make an attempt at this.

update: does this work ?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/927750-playstation-3/answers?qid=19831 . that might just be a way to get the ps3 to sign them for us..
« Last Edit: 2010-05-15 03:47:36 by sithlord48 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-15 06:41:06 »
so in otherwards you basicly have to hack the DRM of the ps3 to edit the save file , yea i would for sure need at least one ps3 to even make an attempt at this.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/927750-playstation-3/answers?qid=19831 . that might just be a way to get the ps3 to sign them for us..

I'll test it tomorrow. If it works, then it should be fairly simple to compare an unsigned file with a signed file, that are otherwise identical. On the other hand, I suspect that the solution on that link is referring to saves that are already signed, as it looks like this is merely a tutorial on how to copy it back to the PS3.

One thing that could be tried is writing a PSX save file to a PSX memory card, and then using the PS3 memory card adapter to copy it to the PS3. I can't think of ANY reason why this wouldn't work, but it needs extra hardware. At the very least, one needs a PSX memory card and the PS3 memory card adapter (I've got these), but unless someone can find or make drivers to connect that to the PC with write capabilities, it would ALSO require separate hardware just to get the save onto the card in the first place. I know such a thing used to be made, but I don't know how difficult it is to find today. This might be a decent starting point, but I haven't checked it out thoroughly yet.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-15 14:48:00 »
Covarr, thanks for that info
there are a few ways i know of to make a psx mem card work w/ a pc, there are adaptors (like dexdrives). also i remember a hack from a while ago that i used to read data off my psx memcard via my DB25(printer) port. if i can get the ps3 , i will go buy one of those things and test that.
looking at the hex of the psv file mav60 sent me i can just chop off the new header and then black chocobo will read it as if it were a raw psx save, so that might be the way to get that working.

mav60

« Reply #11 on: 2010-05-15 15:44:25 »

I'll test it tomorrow. If it works, then it should be fairly simple to compare an unsigned file with a signed file, that are otherwise identical. On the other hand, I suspect that the solution on that link is referring to saves that are already signed, as it looks like this is merely a tutorial on how to copy it back to the PS3.

One thing that could be tried is writing a PSX save file to a PSX memory card, and then using the PS3 memory card adapter to copy it to the PS3. I can't think of ANY reason why this wouldn't work, but it needs extra hardware. At the very least, one needs a PSX memory card and the PS3 memory card adapter (I've got these), but unless someone can find or make drivers to connect that to the PC with write capabilities, it would ALSO require separate hardware just to get the save onto the card in the first place. I know such a thing used to be made, but I don't know how difficult it is to find today. This might be a decent starting point, but I haven't checked it out thoroughly yet.

i found that you can get the file off the ps3 with a simple flash drive, and that is easy to get to your comp

mav60

« Reply #12 on: 2010-05-15 15:46:00 »
there are a few ways i know of to make a psx mem card work w/ a pc, there are adaptors (like dexdrives). also i remember a hack from a while ago that i used to read data off my psx memcard via my DB25(printer) port. if i can get the ps3 , i will go buy one of those things and test that.
looking at the hex of the psv file mav60 sent me i can just chop off the new header and then black chocobo will read it as if it were a raw psx save, so that might be the way to get that working.

if you get rid of the header and make it able to be read with black chocobo, will it then be able to be read by the ps3 still? would it still recognize it as a valid file?

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #13 on: 2010-05-15 15:57:59 »

if you get rid of the header and make it able to be read with black chocobo, will it then be able to be read by the ps3 still? would it still recognize it as a valid file?
NO the ps3 will not like it cause i m guessing it needs the header data there. im going to get my cuz's ps3 today, and hopefully i can find a memory card adaptor while im out. but if you edit the file as a psx save, then put it back on your memcard you shoud be able to copy it back to the ps3. this is basicly what i will be working on today. you might even be able to do this w/ a usb stick . but again let me get the ps3 and i will let you know.

mav60

« Reply #14 on: 2010-05-16 05:41:53 »

NO the ps3 will not like it cause i m guessing it needs the header data there. im going to get my cuz's ps3 today, and hopefully i can find a memory card adaptor while im out. but if you edit the file as a psx save, then put it back on your memcard you shoud be able to copy it back to the ps3. this is basicly what i will be working on today. you might even be able to do this w/ a usb stick . but again let me get the ps3 and i will let you know.

def let me know, cuz i'm the sort that plays through the game the first time for the challenge, then the second time cuz its fun... i figured this would be a fun project for someone far more technologically literate than i am, but i could reap the benefits should i find someone to take up the challenge..

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #15 on: 2010-05-16 15:46:46 »
so far the ps3 rejects my edits, i need to have one of those memcard readers for the ps3 to make this work, so i can see how that area changes w/ my edits :)

xlsound

« Reply #16 on: 2010-05-26 15:33:09 »
why don't you try if it works on the psp version of final fantasy VII? if it works you can pass it to your ps3, thats what i do. ps3 also converts the saves to usie in psp when you transfer them.

mav60

« Reply #17 on: 2010-05-26 17:41:23 »
why don't you try if it works on the psp version of final fantasy VII? if it works you can pass it to your ps3, thats what i do. ps3 also converts the saves to usie in psp when you transfer them.

that would be nice, but i don't have a psp/can't aford to get one on the off chance it would work with a save game editor, but thank you

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #18 on: 2010-05-26 21:47:54 »
i can get the saves edited w/ black chocobo back on to the ps3, it just requires a bit of extra hardware and some extra steps. but this is as good as it gets (for now.).

first off you need  a few things.
1. a ps3, w/ ff7 on it ... (so u can play when done)
2. a ff7 save of some kind (it don't matter cause black chocobo can import even your psv)
3. black chocobo v1.1 or higher.
4. a ps3 Memory card adapter (cost me about 10 dollars on ebay)
5. a ps2 w/ a way of running homebrew code. (i recommend a FMCB card. since you can then have uLE "installed" on a ps2 memory card.)
6.ulaunchElf on the ps2 (comes w/ the noob installer of fmcb)
7.usb stick of some kind
8. PSX memory card.

now if u have all of that here is what u do.

1.assuming u want to edit the ps3's save u start by exporting your save from the virtual memory card to the usb stick
2.open the save you copied w/ black chocobo. and edit it , then Export the save as PSX save.
3.put your usb stick, and psx memory card in the ps2.
4.boot the ps2 w/ the FMCB card inserted and the psx memory card. run ulaunchElf.
5.browse to the mass folder (this is usb) and copy the save you just created in step 2.
6.now still in fmcb go to the mc slot w/ the psx card in it  and use mcPaste from the menu
7.after it copies u can turn off the ps2 and put the PSX memory card in your memory card adapter for the ps3
8.turn on the ps3 and use the psx/ps2 save data manager to copy the save from the adapter to your virtual card. (this works because it will make a psv out of the save)
9.play FF7 and enjoy your hacked save game :)

Edit: speaking of psp saves can some one send me one, so i can add that to the list of formats that i can read, also i assume it needs a checksum to be saved (like the ps3) so ne info on that would be helpful.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-27 00:40:26 by sithlord48 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-05-27 01:58:07 »
I'm fairly certain it's the same as the PS3 format, but without checksums. But I don't have a PSP, so I really can't say.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #20 on: 2010-05-27 04:11:02 »
PSV does have checksums. I tried replacing the memory card data in one of those files and Pops just couldn't load it, as if it didn't even exist anymore. The only decent way of loading binary PSX saves on a PSP is to use CWCheat.

xlsound

« Reply #21 on: 2010-05-27 09:39:26 »
Hi sithlord48 here you have the save file from my psp its from theu european version SCES00867
http://www.mediafire.com/?nyyjyzmlz2i

if you use it and load it the one that as 14 minutes doesn't have any cheat aplied to it and its at the start of the game the others have some cheats apllied with cwcheat.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #22 on: 2010-05-27 21:48:37 »
that save format .vmp is basicly the same as a mcd file. +/- ~ 100 bytes.  looks like i will be borrowing someones psp to test my saves on.

PSV does have checksums. I tried replacing the memory card data in one of those files and Pops just couldn't load it, as if it didn't even exist anymore. The only decent way of loading binary PSX saves on a PSP is to use CWCheat.
:)

i don't think that the psp supports the psv format. i think the psv files only exist as a transport tool to/from the ps3. i would even go as far as to say that that the ps3 uses a vmp format for its save files internally since you don't save a psx game u save to a virtual memory card.however when you export it just chops that slot along w/ its index data and exports in a psv so it can protect it from tampering externally of the ps3.then again i don't own a ps3 or a psp i only borrow that stuff so i can't really "play" with it enuff to confirm any of that.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-05-28 00:32:10 »
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PF0Q8GM1

save file from the psp FF7, american version (ID is SCES00867)
works with both custom made eboot and downloaded version from PSN

hope its helpful

xlsound

« Reply #24 on: 2010-05-28 09:11:00 »
that save format .vmp is basicly the same as a mcd file. +/- ~ 100 bytes.  looks like i will be borrowing someones psp to test my saves on.

:)

i don't think that the psp supports the psv format. i think the psv files only exist as a transport tool to/from the ps3. i would even go as far as to say that that the ps3 uses a vmp format for its save files internally since you don't save a psx game u save to a virtual memory card.however when you export it just chops that slot along w/ its index data and exports in a psv so it can protect it from tampering externally of the ps3.then again i don't own a ps3 or a psp i only borrow that stuff so i can't really "play" with it enuff to confirm any of that.

Your right PSP doesn't suport PSV format it is only for PS3, when you export the save from PS3 to your psp you have to choose if you want to convert it to use in the psp or export it as PSV wich is only for backup support and doesn't work on it.