Author Topic: Crash in mako reactor (not the first fight)  (Read 6437 times)

DragonRdr89

Crash in mako reactor (not the first fight)
« on: 2005-02-12 17:37:51 »
i just borrowed ff7 from a friend and installed it and now it keeps crashing on me. i have windows xp and it always crashes in the room in the beginning where Jessie first tells you how to use ladders  :evil: . When i try to get out of that room, windows throws me a "send report/don't send report" message.
i have windows xp sp2. also, i have the legal version of ff7. I've tried many patches so far and none of them worked. Is there a specific fix for this problem?

DarkestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-02-12 17:53:06 »
Service Pack 2 tend to have more problem than Service Pack 1.

bulk_4me

• View Profile
    • BWHacks
Re: Crash in mako reactor (not the first fight)
« Reply #2 on: 2005-02-12 17:57:06 »
Quote from: DragonRdr89
i just borrowed ff7 from a friend and installed it and now it keeps crashing on me. i have windows xp and it always crashes in the room in the beginning where Jessie first tells you how to use ladders  :evil: . When i try to get out of that room, windows throws me a "send report/don't send report" message.
i have windows xp sp2. also, i have the legal version of ff7. I've tried many patches so far and none of them worked. Is there a specific fix for this problem?

I am on SP-2, no problems whatsoever.

DarkestDream

• View Profile
Re: Crash in mako reactor (not the first fight)
« Reply #3 on: 2005-02-12 18:13:41 »
Quote from: bulk_4me

I am on SP-2, no problems whatsoever.

Remember bulk, each computer is unique like us

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #4 on: 2005-02-12 18:34:13 »
It is doubtful that upgrading from Windows XP SP1 to SP2 would break FF7.

Anyway, as for the actual problem, I don't think we've seen this one before.  Can you give us more info on your computer's specs?  (Video card, speed, etc) and have you tried using software rendering?

DragonRdr89

« Reply #5 on: 2005-02-12 19:14:33 »
i have an athlonXP 3200 (2.1ghz), 512 mb of PC3200 ram, GeForce FX 5200 128mb PCI, audigy gamer....all the good stuff
i havent tried software rendering yet, but ill try it now

UPDATE: software rendering did not help at all, the same crash occurred

DarkestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-02-12 21:44:02 »
Quote from: Aaron

I didnt mean by that. SP2 have lots of problem, the main reason why MS release SP2 for security of IE and that is all, but sure they add more minor fix but some bugs that they never bother to fix it. SP2 is more buggy than SP1, that why im still sticking with SP1

bulk_4me

• View Profile
    • BWHacks
« Reply #7 on: 2005-02-12 22:32:41 »
Quote from: DarkestDream
Quote from: Aaron

I didnt mean by that. SP2 have lots of problem, the main reason why MS release SP2 for security of IE and that is all, but sure they add more minor fix but some bugs that they never bother to fix it. SP2 is more buggy than SP1, that why im still sticking with SP1

Mmm.. Seriously why would SP2 be more "buggy" than SP1?

Ged

• View Profile
    • http://acn.waw.pl/vanyel
« Reply #8 on: 2005-02-13 07:53:42 »
Quote from: bulk_4me
Mmm.. Seriously why would SP2 be more "buggy" than SP1?

Microsoft.

Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-02-13 12:03:08 »
sp2 might be more buggy because they made some changes to the memory system. They rewrote many core system processes in order to make them secure. Therefore a poorly programmed game like FF7 which has been known to handle memory slightly erratically may encounter certain bugs.

Having said that most people have had no problems with sp2

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-02-13 13:27:08 »
The microsoft site mentions no change in any real core components core being process's that absolutely have to run in order for windows to function properly. It only list's IE fixes and some useless firewall crap.

Anyway try a fresh install(remove the old installation) and back up the save file if you want this could possibly help. Also if you have another computer or one you can use preferably with a different operating system or version try installing on that machine and see what happens.

DragonRdr89

« Reply #11 on: 2005-02-13 18:01:13 »
ok, i finally fixed it. before this i was trying to run it at the win95 and win98 compatibility modes. for some strange and unknown reason, it worked when i switched it to the win2000 compatibility mode....microsoft confuses me

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-02-13 21:17:45 »
That is a bit odd but oh well atleast it's working now  :) .

DarkestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005-02-14 03:19:20 »
ok, i finally fixed it. before this i was trying to run it at the win95 and win98 compatibility modes. for some strange and unknown reason, it worked when i switched it to the win2000 compatibility mode....microsoft confuses me

let you know 2000 is part of NT system and XP too. Win 9x is different, they have their own coding

Hybir

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-02-14 05:17:53 »
But it is annoying how you have to juggle program compatibility, speed and system stability between Win9x and WinNT coding.
I'd like to see how Longhorn fares when Microsoft releases it.

DarkestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-02-14 05:27:05 »
Quote from: Hybir
But it is annoying how you have to juggle program compatibility, speed and system stability between Win9x and WinNT coding.
I'd like to see how Longhorn fares when Microsoft releases it.

i agree, it really annoy to juggle it, but it great the XP give NT and 9x compatibility to make sure if it works.  

like DOS game wont work in XP very well

Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005-02-14 11:06:21 »
Quote from: Chesso
The microsoft site mentions no change in any real core components core being process's that absolutely have to run in order for windows to function properly. It only list's IE fixes and some useless firewall crap.

"First, core Windows components have been recompiled with the most recent version of our compiler technology, which provides added protection against buffer overruns" taken from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx
in regards to added memory protection

Changes have been made which have caused crashes in some applications. That is why microsoft delayed the automatic updates for corporate users, because IBM in particular suffered numerous problems.

regardless sp2 has no effect on ff7

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005-02-15 01:00:01 »
I didn't see that article i suppose i saw the *idiot* version. Still it has nothing to offer me that i need so i'll stick with slightly less problems. I'll probably wait until they have fixed it up and find it be running good for most users.

A friend of mine on the otherhand can't even open any of my programs let alone compressed archive with my programs inside either. Funny thing is one of those programs does almost nothing what so ever......