Author Topic: Remaking Sephiroth. C&C wanted.  (Read 18219 times)

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
Remaking Sephiroth. C&C wanted.
« on: 2005-03-09 09:18:42 »
well, i felt that my skills have grown since i made sephiroth about 10 months ago (give or take). so i want to remake him. ive just finnished the sketches for the references, and wanted to know if anyone could offer any crits on the refs before i start with the actual modeling.

the style: im going for a more realistic modeling style, like i did with guts. but trying to keep as close to the character as possible. no im not making an "advent children" sephiroth, cos personally i think they gooched up how he is supposed to look... but thats just my oppinion (he looks like a fuggin elf in that film!!)

for those who havent seen it, this is the old version:

Nanaki

• View Profile
Re: Remaking Sephiroth. C&C wanted.
« Reply #1 on: 2005-03-09 12:38:29 »
Quote from: Almighty_gir
no im not making an "advent children" sephiroth, cos personally i think they gooched up how he is supposed to look

Yipee someone who agrees with me  :D

Comment: all i can say is WOW keep up the great work (from someone who cant draw for the life of them)

Nanaki^_^

Tifa Lockheart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-03-09 12:41:23 »
Ok, you know you don't need this, but they're fantastic.I've seen some fan representations of Sephiroth, but you really do do him justice.  The sketches are spot-on. You can't go wrong with those. They're ot out of proportion, which seems to catch most artists off-guard when replicating Sephiroth. However, you've kept aware, so like I said before, the sketches are A*. And the full-colour picture? Definitely one of the best I've seen. So many ameteurs really dress him down, dragging his usually electrifying presence down with it. The pictures just don't seem to thrill as they should. I know that sounds odd, but I hope you understand what I mean.

I agree with what you said about FF-AC Sephiroth. They did make him look wierd. The unnatural psychotic look was really unnnecessary, but then, who's going to tell Square that?

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-03-09 17:49:19 »
thanks for the comments, im really keeping all the ones ive heard (here and other boards) in mind, as i want this to be something people look at and say "WOW". the coloured picture is actually a model i made about 10 months ago, rendered and "electrified". since then ive grown in both modeling and animating skill, so hopefully this time round we should get some nifty poses, if anyone wants to draw some storyboards, with stickmen, for poses, that would be awsome, and ill do my best to bring it out.

heres what ive done so far with this version of the model, remember, its low poly, im going to be putting it into a game, so its not 100% uber realistic like movie quality. and the skintone is off, purely because i like using these tones when i work, but i can just change the tone with photoshop when ive finnished. he does have a fully animateable mouth, and his eyes can be animated as well. the texture is still work in progress so bear with me >;]

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-03-09 18:13:32 »
Advent children sephiroth is abit insert bad word here up.
I never seen what you did for and it looks more bad words here best i have seen.

I would like to know have you got more ff7 characters like this one

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-03-10 12:51:21 »
i dont entirely understand what you just asked me o_O

blah, my texturing ability really sucks....

DarkestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-03-10 15:52:01 »
i dont entirely understand what you just asked me o_O

blah, my texturing ability really sucks....

it not that bad, thw shadowing give a sense what the body look like

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-03-10 15:56:32 »
thanks very much, heres an update on the body texture... just little things here and there... ive changed the face slightly too.. im having trouble defining the mouth area...

Ged

• View Profile
    • http://acn.waw.pl/vanyel
« Reply #8 on: 2005-03-10 18:12:40 »
I don't want to go picky again.. but..
If C&C wanted, here I come.
First of all Mother Anathomy is in the works. Really, get some reference pictures, you don't seem to be using them.. In example (random google find) this one. Check the abdomen looks. Where the front torso muscles end, they don't extend to the armpit. After all, the muscles are positioned on bones. They somehow limit the possibility of muscle shape. This one might not be the perfect example, but it shows how the neck-to-arm muscle is build, and it cannot go making a extra hill. Classic Nomura art is the perfect one to check the face and just grid it and try to fit the shape/sizes. There is no "bulge" between the eyebrows/topnose unless you hit yourself real hard. And this artwork (which I must say is one of the best Sephiroth fanarts I have seen) shows the neck muscles. The parts that are exposed should be ligther, and it's majorly a tendon. Check the ear size. He looks really old.
/rant1 end
Some basic I help I can whip up in limited time, other then that I am impressed by your skills, they indeed went up.. but 3d modelling without basic knowledge of human anathomy, or reference is really a hardcore experience. Use a mirror, search the net, for every artist it's a grave difference.
I'm pretty sure that the vision of Sephiroth mine and yours differ like ant and lion. I see him as the slender, fast-bladed ultimate-bishounen, you seem to do the muscled insane killer. So there will always be scissions between our views.
Good luck~!

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-03-10 19:04:31 »
the model itself is fine, its the skinning i suck ass at, and my employers know that too, hence why i keep doing projects like this... if i want to earn more money i have to learn both sides of the department...  i think you should note though, that a lot of places dont even have anything more than a base colour added to them, and that this is still a work in progress. as for the "classic Noruma art" yeh, thats great, perfect eve... if i wanted it to look like that. but i dont, i want him to look as close to realistic as i can get as thats the area im lacking in. and you DO have a "lump" in your forhead when you frown, its called skin wrinkling, ever heard of it? also, remember that sephiroth has to be at least 30 or more, track the timeline of events in ff7 you can work out his age roughly. (hint: vincent). feel your chest, now, im fairly muscular, i play a lot of rugby, and visit the gym regularly, and yet my abs dont look the way that guys do, everyone is different, and i can feel my breastbone below my pectorals. the ear size (i did check this a few times) is pretty much ok, rmember, he is looking down, so they will be misproportioned slightly.

im not disagreeing with you, and ill definately take this into account... thanks a lot :)

Chesso

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-03-10 22:25:58 »
Ged i took a look at the last one you linked to and.....well he looks like a friggin girl!

Nice work btw Almighty_Gir wish i could do stuff like that i lose my patience with 3d modelling minutes after iv'e opened the tool.

DarkestDream

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-03-10 23:56:11 »
Quote from: Chesso
Ged i took a look at the last one you linked to and.....well he looks like a friggin girl!

i think that last link, the picture is a yaoi-style

Tifa Lockheart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-03-11 12:29:59 »
I like it too. Yes, he does look like a girl, but frankly, he looks somewhat realistic. I like his/her use of mediums, too. They have a great effect.

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005-03-11 16:49:20 »
little tweaks... from the front i agree he looks a little off, but from the angled view, i really like his look, it has that cold determination that im going for..

Tifa Lockheart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-03-14 12:01:40 »
It's still really good. I like the texture in his hair, as it goes. I agree with the side view comment by the way...he does look "determined".

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-04-01 13:38:25 »
i guess i should update... with an older render XD ive worked on the leg textures since this picture, and decided that using a slight specular shader to emulate leather would be better than trying to texture it...

so here it is :)

Nanaki

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005-04-02 09:13:55 »
Wow  :love: that is great! much better than the <Posted: 2005-03-10 16:56 > demo  
you have a lot of skill.

Nanaki^_^

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005-04-09 19:09:22 »
can we expect a patch?

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005-04-10 15:54:02 »
no, this wont go in ff7 (since im fairly sure thats impossible to do right now).

this model will be going into jedi academy.

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005-04-12 20:03:19 »
Daaaamn make sure he is using a masumune and not a lightsaber!!

(what about double-sided and duel?)

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005-04-13 03:18:05 »
ive already made masamune, and made him a unique stance, so that he stands as he did in FF7. he also has full facial animation in single player (you may choose both him, and masamune, for single player).

but its not gonna be released for a while, as there are still bugs i need to fix, and i need to finnish his jacket.

Canim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005-04-27 08:40:29 »
good work when will you relase it??:)

WBW Canim

Nanaki

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005-04-29 10:10:24 »
OT Argh Ged has an Aprentice  (sp)OTE
 Cant wait till you have the jacket to show us

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005-04-29 12:01:35 »
ive already made masamune, and made him a unique stance, so that he stands as he did in FF7. he also has full facial animation in single player (you may choose both him, and masamune, for single player).

Wow, I would actually consider buying the game just for your mod you know.... I think I'm alittle sad, but meh. Just one C&C from me, I think the chin is a tiny bit too long, although I'm not sure because I've not got a picture to compare it to right now.

Awesome work.

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005-04-29 21:09:16 »
Quote from: Nanaki
OT Argh Ged has an Aprentice  (sp)OTE
 Cant wait till you have the jacket to show us

Who is Ged? o_O i have two "mentor's" one is Corto, and the other is Mr. Smo

updates coming REAL soon (as soon as i fix my tablet).