Author Topic: Vincent Valentine  (Read 11114 times)

Ged

• View Profile
    • http://acn.waw.pl/vanyel
Vincent Valentine
« on: 2005-04-26 16:59:44 »
I heard a lot of things about him.. But.. My small insight on the character.

Many treat him as just-another-member, yet I think of him as "the only optional character in any RPG ever made that you can miss, and by missing him, you miss one of the most important characters ever". Some just bring him down to a guy who was experimented on, just-another-hidden-character-dont-need-him-to-finish-the-game, period. Well, it's as bringing down Sephiroth to a crazy-mad-guy-who-likes-to-kill.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

So.. Vincent's storyline as him being a Turk is quite known. Yet the experiments that Hojo performed on him and their results were never clearly explained. That he was implemented Jenova Cells - I have no doubt. The reason he always is so clothed is because of countless scars left by Hojo when experimenting on him - I guess the golden arm and leg are just a addition he put in, after checking "let's see when more I can do with him". Though I doubt he expected such results from Jenova Cells living inside Vincent's body. He can mutate - and these are the main reason for that.

Going back to "current times" of the main storyline, many see Vincent as a vampire. Well, I think he is eternal, and that's the saddest part on his character, but he is far away from a classical vampire. Whatever Hojo planned, it turned out this way, doubtfully what Hojo wanted. As a random side-effect. Vincent knows much more then he should know, and I'm quite positive he posesses the wisdom of the ancients. Think about Sephiroth.. he was given birth to by Lucretia, with countless Jenova cells implemented in him in prenatal stage. So he became a sort of a hybrid between a human and Jenova. Vincent was given birth to, lived, and then was forced to become a clone, so he is demi-human. With being eternal, and the wisdom he posesses, he decided to leave the world, and bear eternal rest, yet one thing moved him - it wasn't Sephiroth exactly, I think it was the need to understand himself who he really is. And Sephiroth, as a sort of a "brother" might've known the answer.
Trailers from Advent Children suggest even far more on Vincent's knowledge and the mystery surrounding him. I guess DoC will shed light on him too.

*SPOILERS END*

Just something I came up with.. =)

Tifa Lockheart

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #1 on: 2005-04-28 20:38:24 »
I love that theory, Ged. There're just a couple of flaws I see with it. Mind if I point out my theory? If yes, then you needn't read the rest of this post. (lol)

*Spoilers*

Firstly, Vincent cannot be a vampire, simply because he did not choose the coffin as his resting place - he was forced to sleep there. This is prboed by a letterleft by Hojo, about 'His little game'. For those who have not read this letter, it reads as follows:
"I must get rid of all those that stand in the way of my research. Even that one from the Turks.
I scientifically altered him, and put him to sleep in the basement. If you want to find him, then search the area.
But...this is merely a game I thought of. It is not necessary for you to participate if you don't want to."

It then goes on to explain how to figure the dials on the safe. This clearly states that Vincent is not in the basement or in the coffin of his own free will.

Vincent can't have been forced to become a clone, especially not of Sephiroth. He was alive when Sephiroth was born. He was Lucrecia's lover, and so he and Sephiroth cannot possible be 'brothers'. It defies all laws of Biology, no matter how twisted Hojo is. And what you said about his deciding to leave the world due to his wisdom - that can't be true because of the letter. It's clear that none of this in any way was planned or wanted for by Vincent himself.

I agree however, about the Jenova cells. Hojo appears to have had an obsession with them, and would experimant with them whatever way possible. About the wisodm part I'm not so sure, because there are many things that he learns thoughout the gamejourney with Cloud and co. Even reserved, wise old Vincent isn't a genius. He was a turk for [deity's] sake. A clever one, no doubt, but not a genius.

I also agree with the age theory. He is un-ageing, which as you said, is sad for him, for he must watch all those he ever has been or becomes attached to in his lifetime die. Never a good thing.

Just a few points I felt I should contribute. Sorry if that riled you though!

Nanaki

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #2 on: 2005-04-29 10:03:36 »
*spoiler?*
un-aging is correct. many sites claim thet vincent is <50 ish while he looks to be 27 or thereabouts.
*spoiler end*
hybrid theory- heh - good one Ged

o(^_^)O go Tifa O(^_^)o

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #3 on: 2005-04-29 12:08:24 »
Quote from: Tifa Lockheart
"I must get rid of all those that stand in the way of my research. Even that one from the Turks.
I scientifically altered him, and put him to sleep in the basement. If you want to find him, then search the area.
But...this is merely a game I thought of. It is not necessary for you to participate if you don't want to."

It then goes on to explain how to figure the dials on the safe. This clearly states that Vincent is not in the basement or in the coffin of his own free will.

For some reason, this makes me think that he is even more likely to be alittle bit like a vampire. Hojo was a very sick person, maybe he thought it would be a fun "game" to leave him in that coffin because he had given him some of the properties of a vampire. There's probably a hole in that theory somewhere because I've not played FFVII for quite a while. But I definately thnk that Vincent is one of the most interesting characters in the game.

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #4 on: 2005-04-29 21:11:16 »
you realise that you can be undying without being a vampire right?

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #5 on: 2005-04-30 00:45:37 »
Quote from: Almighty_gir
you realise that you can be undying without being a vampire right?

Lol, I can? Please tell me how. :lol:
You've gotta admit that the coffin thing is kinda weird, I know it isn't my favourite sleeping place.

Almighty_gir

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #6 on: 2005-04-30 03:42:56 »
ok this might sound weird, but, if you think about it. vampires can only be killed with a stake through the heart, contact with sunlight, or decapitation correct?

vincent can die in the game if he is hit hard enough by an oponent. he walks around in sunlight with the party.

and i challenge you to name someone who wouldnt die if you put a wooden stake into their heart, or cut their head off.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #7 on: 2005-04-30 03:44:01 »
I agree.

Tifa Lockheart

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #8 on: 2005-04-30 18:04:09 »
Ya, my point exactly, but vampire.........it's too far fetched. It's too cheesey for Seven. I mean, it has such an in-depth storyline, making Vincent a mere vampire would be simply,.....wel......pathetic, really.

However, I do agree, his is one of the most, if not the most interesting character in the game.

Ged

• View Profile
    • http://acn.waw.pl/vanyel
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #9 on: 2005-06-02 08:52:14 »
Pardon me for bumping the old topic..

But "a mere vampire"... this is something that should be said. Vampires aren't "mere". They are one of the most interesting phenomenons, and I'm pretty sure every person that read some of Anne Rice's books will think of a vampire in different means, then a person who knows "vampire" from M&A where they swarm everywhere and are more common then potion drops.

Vincent fits the true vampire view quite well, and I'm pretty sure the creators meant him to be one by heart, but not by body.

Using a expression "mere vampire" is like saying Sephiroth is a "mere madman" (and he's not both - he is *not* a crazy madman for heaven's sake!).

Nanaki

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #10 on: 2005-06-04 09:17:54 »
lol i think the "mere vampire" bit came from compare a vampire to vincents powers
pah i need to talk to Tifa

(ot / ps see you on mon, hope your'e feelin well)

Tifa Lockheart

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #11 on: 2005-06-04 11:18:03 »
Ot - Hey gal, how you doin? You sound desperate. See you on mon. - END

Right, on to the topic. If you must know, Ged, I absolutely love the vampire phenomenon. Yes I have read the Anne Rice books, and am enthralled by the phenomenon, so I will agree with you on that fact.

But, Nanaki is right, and soshe should be, for she knows me and my crazy obsessions quite well. I myself once compared Vincent to the Vampire, then realised that, as Nanaki quite rightly said, Vincent is far more superior. Don't get me wrong, Vampires are powerful, immense creatures, full of mystery, despair, and a host of other things (you take your own view on that part) but Vincent is far more mysterious and has a much deeper past than any vampire could ever dream to have.

modoman

Vincent Valentine
« Reply #12 on: 2005-06-04 19:04:42 »
Bah, you vampire-haters obviously never wasted any of your mortal lifespans on a pen-and-paper game of Vampire: the Masquerade.  An Antediluvian would eat Vincent's shape-shifting hindquarters for breakfast.  And, that's even considering that those vampires are vulnerable to normal physical abuse, too! :D

*apologizes preemptively for championing his pen-and-paper addiction in the wrong forum...but he [arguably] couldn't resist!*

Nanaki

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #13 on: 2005-06-04 21:32:23 »
Quote from: Tifa Lockheart
Ot - Hey gal, how you doin? You sound desperate. See you on mon. - END

not desperate sorry (meant about confirming the vin fact)

On topic. Which Vampire Haters!?

Tifa Lockheart

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #14 on: 2005-06-04 22:29:26 »
good bl**dy question. Incase you hadn't noticed, I was for vampires, but more for V.V. I'm certainly not a vampire hater, and seriously, who really cares if anyone does hate vampires? Everyone's entitled totheir own opinion

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #15 on: 2005-06-05 06:11:10 »
Well, he can' be a vampire, beacsue he doesn't DIE IN SUNLIGHT.  He also doesn't seem to need to drink peoples blood to survive (Something tells me he didnt get a whole lot being locked up in that room for 30 years =P)

And besides, Square has officailly said Vincent is technically dead and ressurected, and unaging/unchanging, which is why he wears the same outfit through ff7, AC, and DoC.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #16 on: 2005-06-05 10:43:41 »
Well itis about time i droped my 2Cent's here. Why do most ppl think he is a vampire. and anyone thinks so have hoped on the wrong boat just cos you see him in a coffin you think vampire. So let me ask you all 1 thing if you spend 30 years in a rooom with no way out. Nowhere to sleep
you hop in that coffin and sleep.

Would you sleep on that cold stone or a nice paded coffin????

Hybir

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #17 on: 2005-06-05 11:27:32 »
Could that mean he's got some kind of Darth Vader type body to keep him alive?

Nanaki

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #18 on: 2005-06-06 12:33:33 »
only if you count the metal claw/glove/arm (personally i say arm but people insist glove <if so why dont you see his arm :p>)
 :wink:

Tifa Lockheart

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #19 on: 2005-06-06 12:40:44 »
I'm sorry if this is offensive, Hybir, but I found that comment hilarious!  :D   :lol:  Not in a bad way though, I just had visions of a darth vader with a long red cape, a claw and long black hair.........lol

You never know, his body may have been tampered with in a similar way........oh dear, I'm thinking, dangerous...:lol:

Nanaki

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #20 on: 2005-06-06 12:43:05 »
Argh Run for the Hills  *animated group scream*

ha, Vader in red, ha

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #21 on: 2005-06-06 14:07:23 »
rainbow colored vader is everyone's favorite ^^

MagiMaster

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #22 on: 2005-06-06 18:37:55 »
Not really...

I prefer hot pink. :lol:

JPWest

• View Profile
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #23 on: 2005-06-06 22:33:24 »
Anyone ever see Lexx?  Vinny could be similar to Kai from that... He's dead and unaging, lives because he has some odd proto-blood.

Alternatively, on the Vader idea, who's to say his chest isn't covered with dials and stuff?  You never see him shirtless.

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
Vincent Valentine
« Reply #24 on: 2005-06-10 14:29:16 »
A few other parts of the game would support Vincent having Jenova Cells.

-Lucrecia's Cave-
Lucrecia appears, and in her tyrade she explains that the reason she never died is because of the Jenova cells that were put into her body when Hojo was exparamenting on Sephiroth. ((I still think it was Rape. I doubt there's any way Lucrecia could have honestly loved Hojo, but that's just me.)) This would explain Vincent's failure to die.

Also, the fact that he just up left with you at the drop of Sephiroth's name. You know why? Not out of any moral obligation like he would lead you to believe, no. For the same reason that Cloud chases Sephiroth around the world, the relentless power of Reunion. Reunion, the force that draws all of Jenova's little bits and pieces into one conglomoration, influencing the wills of all those who contain it. Even those of strong will are weak and frail before the will of Jenova. Look at how quickly Sephiroth fell to the corruption. Less than two days time, he went from a proud and confident soldier, to a craven madman bent on serving his 'mother'. (I call him a madman because he is a madman. He woke up one morning and decided to burn a village to the ground. I consider that madness. At least a little bit.)