Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837796 times)

BraveBlade

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #8075 on: 2019-06-18 14:38:37 »
Ruby(viridian) weapon isn't spawning correctly for me. I have a save right before I enter Midgar and Ultima weapon is the only one that popped up. After I beat Ultima, Ruby spawned. And now that I cleared Midgar and right at the Crater Ruby(viridian) weapon has despawned. Any fix?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: 2019-06-18 18:38:40 »
Ruby(viridian) weapon isn't spawning correctly for me. I have a save right before I enter Midgar and Ultima weapon is the only one that popped up. After I beat Ultima, Ruby spawned. And now that I cleared Midgar and right at the Crater Ruby(viridian) weapon has despawned. Any fix?

I haven't heard of him despawning before, have you tried fighting some battles and then entering/exiting a town? There's an RNG 'cooldown' check based around random battles that gets applied to various things like Ruby Weapon, Vincent's scenes in the cave, and Chocobo Breeding.

I checked about and found a couple of people who had similar circumstances where they beat Ultimate Weapon, left things for a while to grind up, and then couldn't find Ruby but having him appear later on again: https://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1169/t960431-ruby-weapon-missing/

So what I would do is, try fighting about 5 random battles either on the world map or on a field screen and then checking in on that desert. From what I can see on various boards, he's not 100% consistent with showing up.

Apos1

• View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: 2019-06-19 01:31:33 »
Hey, I can't seem to get Tifa's limit break 4 quest to trigger.  I play the piano and get the 1 gil message but no note or anything after that.  I have the most up to date version as of this post.  I am able to get other character's lvl 4 quests and battles and have been to the bottom of northern crater.  Nothing seems to be triggering it.  is there a special song different from the normal one you play?

Edit: weirdly enough I figured it out, I'm playing on steam and performing the melody with a controller doesn't work, but using the original pc controls on the keyboard works.  Both give "Is that material" prompt, but only keyboard triggers quest note...odd.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-19 01:49:36 by Apos1 »

HeXy

• View Profile
    • Toast the Ghost
« Reply #8078 on: 2019-06-19 09:40:30 »
Hiya Sega Chief, just wanted to let you know about a random bug I came across last night:

Have Cid as party leader, went to Gelnika for the first time, went into the room above the save point, and could not open the two green chests on the upper level.  All the rest of the chests and items throughout the Gelnika opened fine.  I changed party leader back to Cloud and revisited, the chests opened fine  :)

Still loving this mod to bits, 60 logged hours of gametime ( add another 40 on failed boss attempts :D ) and so much left to explore

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: 2019-06-19 12:53:43 »
Hey, I can't seem to get Tifa's limit break 4 quest to trigger.  I play the piano and get the 1 gil message but no note or anything after that.  I have the most up to date version as of this post.  I am able to get other character's lvl 4 quests and battles and have been to the bottom of northern crater.  Nothing seems to be triggering it.  is there a special song different from the normal one you play?

Edit: weirdly enough I figured it out, I'm playing on steam and performing the melody with a controller doesn't work, but using the original pc controls on the keyboard works.  Both give "Is that material" prompt, but only keyboard triggers quest note...odd.

It might be something to do with the shoulder buttons? I think those map wrong on controllers or something.

Hiya Sega Chief, just wanted to let you know about a random bug I came across last night:

Have Cid as party leader, went to Gelnika for the first time, went into the room above the save point, and could not open the two green chests on the upper level.  All the rest of the chests and items throughout the Gelnika opened fine.  I changed party leader back to Cloud and revisited, the chests opened fine  :)

Still loving this mod to bits, 60 logged hours of gametime ( add another 40 on failed boss attempts :D ) and so much left to explore

Weird one that, usually chests run on their own talk script but maybe these use a line + script call to the party leader.

nih

• View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: 2019-06-20 12:38:08 »
Damn. Felt harsh killing that bird mama for just some Remedies.

Pure_Mind_Games

• View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: 2019-06-20 16:36:49 »
Is there a way to have the last selected Rank Up highlighted? I wanted to do a 'single job' run, but it turns out my memory sucks and after having a day away I'd forgotten which I'd selected for some of the characters.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: 2019-06-20 17:13:18 »
Damn. Felt harsh killing that bird mama for just some Remedies.

Is there a way to have the last selected Rank Up highlighted? I wanted to do a 'single job' run, but it turns out my memory sucks and after having a day away I'd forgotten which I'd selected for some of the characters.

I think it might be possible, could be a heavy hit on variable space, but I'll see what I can do.

DXLelouch153

• View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: 2019-06-20 20:14:46 »
Hey me again, ran into another problem and this time it seems like a bug problem.
I'm currently getting the final mega materia from Cids rocket, but every time I hit the grunts with Tifas added Effect Hades attack, they turn into frogs,sleep,etc but the combat just stops, my turn doesn't come
Think you could look into this? In the meantime I guess I could just deathblow them instead

rickbuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: 2019-06-20 20:40:16 »
So I got myself super hyped for the FF7 remake and find myself back here to tide myself over until it's release.  I just wanted to compliment the author of this mod, it's very good, after finishing vanilla the game doesn't have much to offer in terms of replayability, but this remedies that very well.

For now just a couple of comments, though maybe after I finish playing through I'll add more.

Dex.  I feel like there's an early soft cap on the usefulness of this stat.  Mainly there are a lot of animations that don't stop the ATB from charging, so once you get haste, dex barely ever gets you an extra turn because everyone's ATB will fully charge while you wait for animations to finish.  I noticed when playing FF8 last year that that game fixes this fundamental problem of ATB, by stopping the ATB charge during all animations.  I was kind of wondering if that were possible in this game?  Assuming one had the motivation to do so.  Alternatively, maybe nerf haste?  I haven't got it yet in this playthrough, so if it's been changed since early last year then just disregard this comment.

Another, call it fundamental incompatibility between NT and the base game, as I see it, is the inability to reequip materia during battle.  I feel like this is especially the case for physical characters, without elemental they have a hard time competing in terms of damage, but you can only have one element equipped at a time.  As long as reequipping costs a turn, and you could only change one thing per turn, it probably wouldn't unbalance NT to much, but I'm assuming it's not possible to implement?  As it is, the basic strategy is to go into a boss fight, use sense, then reload the game and properly equip your characters.

P.S.  It took me 3 hours to figure out the were13 field model for red13 is incompatible with this mod, lol.  Kind of sad, because it's really cool, I need to find a werecat field model for red that doesn't change the game stats.  Also, for me at least, this was also the cause of innate abilities not working.  Throwing this out there because there are several posts in the last couple of pages mentioning them.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-20 21:15:29 by rickbuzz »

kekko1285

• View Profile
« Reply #8085 on: 2019-06-20 21:12:35 »
Hey Sega, just to report possible bug on innate abilities of 1.5

This streamer: https://www.twitch.tv/gamingmule/videos has issues with innate abilities being not triggered (Tifa does not revive, Cloud doesn't get buff etc.)

He mentions that multiple times during his streams, maybe worth having a look at it?

(installed NT 1.5 with 7H)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: 2019-06-20 21:32:50 »
Hey me again, ran into another problem and this time it seems like a bug problem.
I'm currently getting the final mega materia from Cids rocket, but every time I hit the grunts with Tifas added Effect Hades attack, they turn into frogs,sleep,etc but the combat just stops, my turn doesn't come
Think you could look into this? In the meantime I guess I could just deathblow them instead

I think this is related to using ff7_bc.exe or it might have been ff7_mo.exe which are used for reunion/menu overhaul, I don't know what the underlying causes were but certain enemies seem to break when Frogged when using these .exes (which doesn't make sense to me why that would be the case, but this is what I've been told is the source of the bug).

So I got myself super hyped for the FF7 remake and find myself back here to tide myself over until it's release.  I just wanted to compliment the author of this mod, it's very good, after finishing vanilla the game doesn't have much to offer in terms of replayability, but this remedies that very well.

For now just a couple of comments, though maybe after I finish playing through I'll add more.

Dex.  I feel like there's an early soft cap on the usefulness of this stat.  Mainly there are a lot of animations that don't stop the ATB from charging, so once you get haste, dex barely ever gets you an extra turn because everyone's ATB will fully charge while you wait for animations to finish.  I noticed when playing FF8 last year that that game fixes this fundamental problem of ATB, by stopping the ATB charge during all animations.  I was kind of wondering if that were possible in this game?  Assuming one had the motivation to do so.  Alternatively, maybe nerf haste?  I haven't got it yet in this playthrough, so if it's been changed since early last year then just disregard this comment.

Another, call it fundamental incompatibility between NT and the base game, as I see it, is the inability to reequip materia during battle.  I feel like this is especially the case for physical characters, without elemental they have a hard time competing in terms of damage, but you can only have one element equipped at a time.  As long as reequipping costs a turn, and you could only change one thing per turn, it probably wouldn't unbalance NT to much, but I'm assuming it's not possible to implement?  As it is, the basic strategy is to go into a boss fight, use sense, then reload the game and properly equip your characters.

P.S.  It took me 3 hours to figure out the were13 field model for red13 is incompatible with this mod, lol.  Kind of sad, because it's really cool, I need to find a werecat field model for red that doesn't change the game stats.  Also, for me at least, this was also the cause of innate abilities not working.  Throwing this out there because there are several posts in the last couple of pages mentioning them.

I think Wait ATB stops gauges whenever an animation or menu is open, but they continue when certain attacks are going out. Recommended might be a bit better for that, but I don't think any of the ATB settings are 100% consistent with pausing during attacks.

As far as Haste goes, I think it's the equivalent to about 40 or so Dexterity. The Dex stat is also used in evasion, and by extension, accuracy so it can be handy to have it high if you're relying on low accuracy weapons or attacks like Deathblow.

I can't recall exactly how Total Dex and Natural Dex affect the speed of gauges but a rough breakdown of it is that the game tallies up the group's natural dexterity stats and averages it to determine the enemy's base gauge speed compared to your own, then it applies the actual Dex they have to determine their own personal gauge speeds. It was something weird like that, technically there are two dexterity stats.

That natural dexterity average is of the reasons I was looking to bring back natural stat growth to replace the +5 blanket buff everyone gets to their stats from sources as that acts as 'buffed dexterity' rather than natural dexterity. I think it means that some characters will always be 'faster' than others in the sense that they will produce a lower gauge speed for the enemies because they started with a high base dex stat.

The kernel thing was due to a bizarre error that came up with the kernel; all the character AI save for the pre-battle was lost. I've since updated the files again (17th) with a backup kernel to restore the missing innates. The werewolf mod I think requires a lot of edits in field and other places which makes it difficult to make compatible without having lots of derivative files to handle other mods together and stuff.

Hey Sega, just to report possible bug on innate abilities of 1.5

This streamer: https://www.twitch.tv/gamingmule/videos has issues with innate abilities being not triggered (Tifa does not revive, Cloud doesn't get buff etc.)

He mentions that multiple times during his streams, maybe worth having a look at it?

(installed NT 1.5 with 7H)

Your streamer likely has the files where the character AI was deleted. The latest files should have it restored (save files, etc. won't be affected).

nih

• View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: 2019-06-21 05:58:22 »
Really have to commend you on this modpack.
I remember the game being really hard back in the day, mostly because I was barely 11 at the time and didn't really have a grasp of the English language.
This modpack lives up to that memory, with a few twists and turns. It rewards planning ahead, requires you to reload a few times and is just all around engaging to play.

I'm also curious, is there a way to add different controller icons instead of Switch, Command, OK and all those? Bit rough to manage the marching and stuff with no real prompts.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-21 07:02:11 by nih »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: 2019-06-21 11:52:10 »
Really have to commend you on this modpack.
I remember the game being really hard back in the day, mostly because I was barely 11 at the time and didn't really have a grasp of the English language.
This modpack lives up to that memory, with a few twists and turns. It rewards planning ahead, requires you to reload a few times and is just all around engaging to play.

I'm also curious, is there a way to add different controller icons instead of Switch, Command, OK and all those? Bit rough to manage the marching and stuff with no real prompts.

Yo bud,

I think it should be possible, other mods have done it. I'll look into it because the PC prompts drive me up the wall.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #8089 on: 2019-06-21 12:35:34 »
There are PlayStation and XBox icon options in the Reunion. Can probably find what you’re looking for with DLPB.

manconauta

• View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: 2019-06-23 09:16:04 »
Hi, I last played the 1.4 version... now I'm playing 1.5 and I didn't get the powersoul from materia keeper, did that change? even the documentation states that he drops the item but then again it also states that docu isn't 100% up to date. Where do I get it then?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: 2019-06-23 12:27:40 »
I think the arrange version (armour keeper) doesn't drop it, and it's instead available from the chests in Shinra HQ's 2nd floor shop on Disc 2. If you're on normal mode though, then Powersoul Keeper should have dropped it in the battle results screen.

FullmetalD

• View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: 2019-06-23 19:09:20 »
I downloaded the installer file just now and there was nothing in the installer folder to run. Is there something I'm missing?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: 2019-06-23 21:29:01 »
In the installer folder, there should be a sub-folder called Main Installer; that's the .exe to run (make sure it's unblocked, admin permissions, etc.) and to have it target the Final Fantasy VII folder.

manconauta

• View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: 2019-06-23 21:53:38 »
I think the arrange version (armour keeper) doesn't drop it, and it's instead available from the chests in Shinra HQ's 2nd floor shop on Disc 2. If you're on normal mode though, then Powersoul Keeper should have dropped it in the battle results screen.

I'm playing on arrange yeah. Anyways, I stole one from Demons Gate  ;D

FullmetalD

• View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: 2019-06-23 22:16:21 »
In the installer folder, there should be a sub-folder called Main Installer; that's the .exe to run (make sure it's unblocked, admin permissions, etc.) and to have it target the Final Fantasy VII folder.

There’s nothing in the main installer folder at all

rickbuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: 2019-06-24 20:15:18 »
Finished my playthrough of the latest version posted on the front page.  Some post play thoughts/feedback.

Dex still feels kind of useless.  Post casting Haste/all, Cloud with 60 dex gets the same amount of turns as Tifa with 120.  Admittedly she can use deathblow effectively while he can't, but that's moot after getting multi cut.  Haste feels much more impactful than 40 dex worth of items, does it buff "natural" dexterity?

All the extra content and bosses are appreciated, though their quality varies widely, I won't complain about that.  Except the "dark cave", which seems a bit out of place.  In general i think the "new threat" content should unlock at the beginning of disk 3 instead of the bottom of the crater.  It's a little immersion breaking to be like... "this is it guys" only to climb out to do quests.

I liked the design changes for materia and weapons/armor, except planet and contain basically replace everything at endgame.  Particularly pearl, which is all you use in the crater.  The strength/weakness systems feels pretty good, I like how earth > big opponents, Lightning/water > machines, poison > humans, demi > flyers, etc.  Though it still feels like physical based characters get the shaft since they can't requip mid battle for elemental materia, at least in the crater they can just use elemental/holy to be competitive, and fire is a pretty good bet for the great glacier enemies.

Also when I beat Sephiroth I got kicked back to the Nibelheim reactor, was that supposed to happen?  I watched the final FMV on youtube and called it a day, lol.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: 2019-06-24 20:56:28 »
I'm playing on arrange yeah. Anyways, I stole one from Demons Gate  ;D

Ah that's right, it was added there as well. I clean forgot.

There’s nothing in the main installer folder at all

I downloaded the installer folder and the .exe for the installer is in there. I'm not sure why it's not making it to your machine, so I've uploaded the installer on its own with none of the sub folders, maybe it's getting picked up and deleted by something when you've downloaded/unzipped it? https://mega.nz/#!y58lnQxC!aU3BDtO8XTIP1wKosT1WpEQGQX_gRCs9RLczQpT0bV8

Finished my playthrough of the latest version posted on the front page.  Some post play thoughts/feedback.

Dex still feels kind of useless.  Post casting Haste/all, Cloud with 60 dex gets the same amount of turns as Tifa with 120.  Admittedly she can use deathblow effectively while he can't, but that's moot after getting multi cut.  Haste feels much more impactful than 40 dex worth of items, does it buff "natural" dexterity?

All the extra content and bosses are appreciated, though their quality varies widely, I won't complain about that.  Except the "dark cave", which seems a bit out of place.  In general i think the "new threat" content should unlock at the beginning of disk 3 instead of the bottom of the crater.  It's a little immersion breaking to be like... "this is it guys" only to climb out to do quests.

I liked the design changes for materia and weapons/armor, except planet and contain basically replace everything at endgame.  Particularly pearl, which is all you use in the crater.  The strength/weakness systems feels pretty good, I like how earth > big opponents, Lightning/water > machines, poison > humans, demi > flyers, etc.  Though it still feels like physical based characters get the shaft since they can't requip mid battle for elemental materia, at least in the crater they can just use elemental/holy to be competitive, and fire is a pretty good bet for the great glacier enemies.

Also when I beat Sephiroth I got kicked back to the Nibelheim reactor, was that supposed to happen?  I watched the final FMV on youtube and called it a day, lol.

I'm having a bit of a spring clean as far as bosses go, there's too many of them and I stretched myself a bit thin. As for the conditional trigger, I tried setting it to the Disc 3 start but it was causing some problems. The 1998 game moment trigger is a safe bet for that stuff, but I'll have another shot at making it unlock right as Disc 3 starts.

For physicals, I'm looking to close the gap a bit by making elemental bonus damage 1.5x rather than 2x, boosting them a bit for early game, and adjusting the level modification that was holding them back later in the game.

Sounds like the ending is still bugged, I'll just rip out the script routine that's causing it for now.

iDerek759

• View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: 2019-06-24 21:39:50 »
What if you made all the NT quests become active as soon as you obtain the Highwind? It'd make more sense from a story point of view.
« Last Edit: 2019-06-25 06:57:47 by iDerek759 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: 2019-06-24 22:47:41 »
What if you made all the NT quests become active as soon as you obtain the Highwind? It'd make more sense from a story point of you.

It'll need scaled back a bit if doing that, which might not be a terrible thing actually. Stops the game being too top-heavy when you hit Disc 3.