Author Topic: Newbie Question: short but sweet explanation?  (Read 6289 times)

handlandj

• View Profile
Newbie Question: short but sweet explanation?
« on: 2011-06-06 02:08:24 »
I was wondering, would anyone care to tell me what's going on here? Cuz i just realized a bunch of people are trying to remake this from the ground up.....just like me( except i doubt you all chose unity as a basis.) can anyone fill me in?

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Re: Newbie Question: short but sweet explanation?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-06 02:38:28 »
It a project to recreate an engine much like FF7's The original intent was to make a drop-in replacement for the  FF7 executable, like SCUMM. That mission changed when Akari took over and decided to make it more generic. It should be able to play FF7, but the FF7 data must be converted first. It's been a quiet little project for a few years now. 

handlandj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-06 03:13:18 »
...so wait, no ground-up remake with dx11 and blender models and such? where's the fun in making a slightly updated engine? or is there something i'm missing?

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-06 03:38:54 »
Code: [Select]
...so wait, no ground-up remake with dx11 and blender models and such? where's the fun in making a slightly updated engine? or is there something i'm missing?
No, the first idea was to make slightly updated engine. Now it is the generic engine that can use DX11 and blender models (just convert them to Ogre format). Among other things there are converters that allow you convert FFVII models to Ogre format and use them. in some future FFVII must be completly reproduced, but any time you can change any model or any animation with blender mode. You can even use full 3d for backgrounds =)

handlandj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-06 13:33:40 »
but what's the game engine, i know OGRE is graphics only (and weren't you guys switching from that to something else?). what engine is it that can use all the old and new data?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-06 13:42:47 »
It's an open source implementation of the original generic Square engine (used for all the PSX FF games) that can accept OGRE formats and be scaled for improved graphics.

handlandj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-06 14:21:40 »
would i need new programs to help or can i use blender and unity?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-06 17:00:25 »
We don't need to create assets - in fact, we can use the existing assets in-game. We actually need programmers and reverse-engineers.

handlandj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-06 18:45:20 »
hmmm.....i know a guy who i recently got hooked on the FF series and he knows some code, i'll see what he can do, but unfortunately he won't be back until 5 weeks from now. i personally have no programming experience besides some VBASIC i did 5 years ago...so i have no idea what i could do here, personally. i want to know, do you think team avalanche could combine with this? because if so then some corners could be easily and losslessly cut, and i could help over there for now. so, what do i do?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-06 19:41:35 »
Q-Gears is written in C++, and reverse-engineering will probably require some experience working in assembler for the x86. Are these platforms you or your friend have ever worked with?

handlandj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-06 19:59:01 »
all my friend does is c++. but i have no experience with anything but art, in this field, which surprises me since I'm more of a logical than creative thinker.