Miscellaneous Forums > General Discussion

The Blasted Brass Dragon

(1/1)

Brass Dragon:
If you've ever tried FF7, New Threat Mod, specifically on the challenge mode (I forget the specific name- Arranged Mode, maybe?), then you know about the Brass Dragon inside the Temple of The Ancients.  I'm desperate for info, so please consider helping me if you're knowledgeable.

The problem is: the Brass Dragon is level 86, and so it's impossible to steal from it (a pretty frustrating oversight to be sure).  I came into the battle over-leveled at 51, and even after grinding to 61, I still cannot steal from it.  This wouldn't be a big deal, except that I've stolen from and morphed literally every single thing I've come across so far, and if I make it through the whole game this way, I hope to release a guide on all the creatures in the mod, but I can't go through and skip this steal.

But I can't steal from that damn dragon, even after over 2,000 steal attempts.

So I ask you, at what level can I steal from the dragon?  At level 70, is it still impossible?  Why are the mod authors so cruel as to do this to players?

Brass Dragon:
So if anyone is interested in ff7 cleptomania, here is an update:  I've at level 76 now, still not luck on the steal.  Next I'll be trying 86.

Sega Chief:

--- Quote from: Brass Dragon on 2020-02-17 13:45:35 ---If you've ever tried FF7, New Threat Mod, specifically on the challenge mode (I forget the specific name- Arranged Mode, maybe?), then you know about the Brass Dragon inside the Temple of The Ancients.  I'm desperate for info, so please consider helping me if you're knowledgeable.

The problem is: the Brass Dragon is level 86, and so it's impossible to steal from it (a pretty frustrating oversight to be sure).  I came into the battle over-leveled at 51, and even after grinding to 61, I still cannot steal from it.  This wouldn't be a big deal, except that I've stolen from and morphed literally every single thing I've come across so far, and if I make it through the whole game this way, I hope to release a guide on all the creatures in the mod, but I can't go through and skip this steal.

But I can't steal from that damn dragon, even after over 2,000 steal attempts.

So I ask you, at what level can I steal from the dragon?  At level 70, is it still impossible?  Why are the mod authors so cruel as to do this to players?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Brass Dragon on 2020-02-23 14:21:11 ---So if anyone is interested in ff7 cleptomania, here is an update:  I've at level 76 now, still not luck on the steal.  Next I'll be trying 86.

--- End quote ---

I've some bad news. You can't steal from it because of how Level works in NT (functionally it is locked at Lv.41 as far as damage/steal/morph formulas go), and Arrange Mode boosts enemy level to compound matters. The Steals/Morphs between Normal mode and Arrange mode are the same (as they pull from the same enemy data, the AI modifies the stats etc. when the battle starts. If you need to know what something has for guide purposes, then best thing to do is open the game's scene.bin with the Proud Clod editor tool and check it that way. If it's an IRO being used then the 7h tool's workshop can unpack it to allow access to the scene.bin.

As for why it's like this, Level was altered in one of the earlier builds to try and curb physical damage at higher levels but I underestimated the impact it would have on Steal/Morph rates. As the mod was balanced around that Level change, it wasn't really feasible to remove it without rebalancing everything. Sneak Glove can make those Steals obtainable again, but that's not available until the tail-end of Disc 2 when Diamond Weapon appears (or after Diamond is defeated I forget when it becomes available).

Brass Dragon:
You've given me a new lease on this mod.  Now I can move on, at level 86 (lol) in peace, knowing I've done all I could.  Have you considered relocating the sneak glove to an earlier spot to compensate for the problem?

Does it get worse from here, or is it only in a few battles?

Sega Chief:

--- Quote from: Brass Dragon on 2020-02-25 16:58:17 ---You've given me a new lease on this mod.  Now I can move on, at level 86 (lol) in peace, knowing I've done all I could.  Have you considered relocating the sneak glove to an earlier spot to compensate for the problem?

Does it get worse from here, or is it only in a few battles?

--- End quote ---

I'm going to retire the level thing so this doesn't happen again in the 2.0 final update. Sorry for the hassle and time lost.

As far as Arrange goes, enemy level will continue to creep up. In the North Crater (and this is for both modes, normal + arrange) a Sneak Glove is needed even though the steal rate was set to the max it can be.  It's a messy situation as far as that goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version