Author Topic: Petition Qhimm for banning powers.  (Read 15251 times)

Mako

• View Profile
Petition Qhimm for banning powers.
« on: 2010-10-03 18:15:12 »
How ironic right!.

I elect vote Obesebear as the sole person in charge of banning!...

To prevent Hermoor as well as others from sending PM's and other nefarious deeds. ;)

EDIT: Not that I don't have faith in the other mods, banning could be held to one person to avoid future confusion.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-03 18:22:42 by Mako »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Petition Qhimm for banning powers.
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-03 18:20:07 »
*feels slighted*

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-10-03 18:57:32 »
*feels slighted*
I have faith in your judgement SL

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-10-03 19:05:26 »
Were I to nominate only one, it would be sl because he tends not to be as quick on the draw with his moderation powers.

However, I do think one or both of them ought to have the power to ban, if moderated folks can still PM people.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-10-03 19:57:19 »
More importantly I think would be the powers to filter out those 239375735  quadrillion users that didnt post but have been members since 1802

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-03 20:26:27 »
Were I to nominate only one, it would be sl because he tends not to be as quick on the draw with his moderation powers.

If that's your main criterion, surely you should support Halkun having ban powers? ;D

Anyway, at the moment I don't see any real need for any more people to have banning powers. There are already powers to mute people and I don't think that muted users sending PMs (if indeed they can do that) is a major concern. If muting isn't doing the job and someone really needs to be banned, qhimm can still do it; it just takes a while longer.

More importantly I think would be the powers to filter out those 239375735  quadrillion users that didnt post but have been members since 1802

I actually kind of support this, although I imagine it would be more trouble than it's worth. If there were a quick and easy way to mass delete accounts that have never been used to post, and have less than, say, one hour spend online, and haven't been active for more than a year, it might be worth doing.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-03 20:28:36 by Kudistos Megistos »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-10-03 20:52:23 »
I can't speak for this forum but on phpbb3, there is an auto pruning option :)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-10-03 22:18:47 »
I vote for some banning powers, the last time qhimm was on was over a month ago.   From a moderator standpoint I'm fine with muting people because I no longer have to read retarded posts from people.   The only reason I suggested this was after seeing Ice_Cold's post about being bothered by an Ultima Edition user, and IIRC Ultima Espio still gets PMs from people requesting ripped models.  That doesn't directly affect us, but I like to think a mod's job is to keep order as best as possible. 

We currently can't stop people from PMing, and a few weeks ago I had to re-warn Hermoors account because it was getting close to dropping down to moderated.   So it would help keep some people from being pestered in PMs, and get rid of the people who spam the boards. 

I don't care who has the power to do it, but I think at least one of us should.

guitar_dudester91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-10-04 00:07:12 »
I agree with Kudistos. When it gets super bad, Qhimm steps in. PMs (ha PMS) can be ignored, as annoying as they can be. I personally think that giving the ban rights to mods would let a little more power go to their head. I agree that SL would be a good person to give it to though, if it ever happens. But I really think its not necessary, since everyone that bothers this forum is already banned or moderated.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #9 on: 2010-10-06 00:24:59 »
That, or if that's not possible, when they are muted, they are MUTED.
No PMs, no posting, etc.

Whatever they have to say (that involves illegal actions) must be done outside of this website.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-10-06 01:38:30 »
That, or if that's not possible, when they are muted, they are MUTED.
No PMs, no posting, etc.

Whatever they have to say (that involves illegal actions) must be done outside of this website.

That's just about the same as a temporary ban.  I say just ban someone if it's necessary.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #11 on: 2010-10-06 02:41:22 »
Oh, I'm not fully aware of the powers between moderators, global moderators, and administrators and such. I'm clueless as to what powers they each have.

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-10-06 03:29:57 »
At the moment, Qhimm is the only one with banning powers (aside from Alhexx and Aaron, who are never around).

I agree that at least one of the moderators should have banning powers, simply because the muted users shouldn't be allowed to be around.  At all.

I nominate halkun!!

« Reply #13 on: 2010-10-06 03:44:15 »
Some of us oldsters like to lurk and post once in a blue moon. Thanks.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-10-06 03:48:31 »
Some of us oldsters like to lurk and post once in a blue moon. Thanks.
You've got over 1000 posts. I don't think he meant you.

How many people register, but never post? Those are the ones Seif meant.

« Reply #15 on: 2010-10-06 03:52:47 »

Oh, yeah, if he's just talking about people with 0 posts, that's cool. That's not the way I was understanding it, though.

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #16 on: 2010-10-06 04:17:13 »
Damn man that guy's old school!
It is nice to see that you post nowadays.
I don't think there is anyone else that's been registered practically since this forum was made. Other than the Admins anyway.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-10-06 04:20:43 »
I'm curious what the benefit of removing registered users with 0 posts is?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-10-06 05:24:03 »
Makes it easier to navigate the memberlist, which at least a few of us (myself) do from time to time. Probably also lightens server strain, albeit not significantly.

« Reply #19 on: 2010-10-06 05:27:17 »
I'm curious what the benefit of removing registered users with 0 posts is?

Main benefit would be that it makes it easier for moderators to spot spambots. Sort by low posts+recently registered and there you go: a list of suspicious user accounts to once over. As a result, most of those random people who registered years ago yet have never posted are only noise that gets in the way.
(At least in my own forum modding experience, the sort by post method tends to work because, for whatever reason, spambots tend to not start their spam on the day they register with a forum. Just speculating, but they probably wait for some signal after their scripts sends out the, "I've succeeded in registering at forum X," notice to command and control.)

Possible secondary benefits:
1. Reduces clutter in the user list. That in turn saves on database maintenance, saves on bandwidth since (A) the user list will now be not nearly as many pages long and since (B) bots, crawlers and email harvesters do crawl the *entire* user list). This also possibly reduces the file size of forum backups, although that could be pretty negligible.
(2) Reduces people who will try to smurf for a rainy day.

On the other hand, manually cleaning the user list would be a lot of short term work. The obvious alternative would be if it was done via a fire and forget script. However, that has its own issues. Whoever wrote it would have to make sure it didn't accidentally ban the wrong users... for example: people who lurk, or (worse) users like me who have low activity levels, or (even) worse people who made valuable posts in the past but no longer post. I'd be pretty sad if a great forum member like Terence Ferguson accidentally got banned over something like that. That in turn involves testing and time which may make the whole idea unwise.

My bet? Chances are Qhimm will step in and say he doesn't have the money or the time to keep hosting+running the forum any more before it gets to that point. Be that as it may I do kinda hope FF7 and FF8 get re-released on GOG, Q-Gears finishes, and Square-Enix puts out a non-sucky FF7 HD Remake, ensuring that this place lives on at least another 10 years. ^_^

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #20 on: 2010-10-06 06:30:31 »
Srethron Askvelhtnod: That totally makes sense. It would also be cool if say there was an automated system that would automaticly clean out the list, but let this only apply to users who have registered and have showed no signs of activity within say, 30 days? Just an example. Doing so would cost a tremendous amount of time, effort, and money. Being that as it may, this will only apply to new users, because, like you have mentioned before, we wouldn't want to lose members that were potential posters back in the day.

I've also been meaning to ask, what does your username mean? Sorry to be off-topic on this part.  :roll:

Mako

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-10-06 09:13:45 »
That more or less what he was talking about  drfeelgud88 >_>. There probably already exists a mod/custom script for SMF but as you said there would be no way to program it for such a "unique" community as I'd say at least half (or more) of those users are people who pop in with a question an leave...

I was more trying (or having an option to) stop abusing there PM privileges.

EDIT: If somebody could please explain (unless there is a mod to Qhimm site that auto logs in members of his choice) why ficedula profile current?...Can that guy r-e-ally be lurking around here for 5+ years without saying a word!!. Or fixing you web site? O_O

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?action=profile;u=68
« Last Edit: 2010-10-07 07:45:16 by Mako »

« Reply #22 on: 2010-10-06 10:00:12 »
I've also been meaning to ask, what does your username mean? Sorry to be off-topic on this part.
It meant I'm easy to find on the net, and I thought it sounded cool at the time.

I was more trying (or having an option to) stop abusing there PM privileges.

EDIT: If somebody could please explain (unless there is a mod to Qhimm site that auto logs in members of his choice) why ficedula profile current?...Can that guy rally be lurking around here for 5+ years without saying a word!!. Or fixing you web site? O_O

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?action=profile;u=68
I haven't messed around with SMF in a while, but the PM thing is probably solvable by adding a custom user rank that doesn't have PM permissions. It could be called Cycl0wned or something. ;)

The forum software says ficedula's still around in some capacity. I've got no reason to doubt it. His site is still around (working just fine AFAIK, even if unmaintained). The link in his profile is just the wrong one.

Heh, there's no auto login script for people Qhimm tolerates more. Otherwise someone like dagsverre (hasn't logged in for the past 2-ish forum software switches) would be near the top of that list.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-10-06 18:13:29 »
Yeah, if the forum is to be believed, Ficedula still lurks a bit every few months. I wouldn't doubt it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-10-06 18:25:51 »

Oh, yeah, if he's just talking about people with 0 posts, that's cool. That's not the way I was understanding it, though.

Obviously, yes I was.  People on 0 or even very low numbers should be culled depending on last activity.