Author Topic: Weird Start Up Problem  (Read 2538 times)

4EverDead

Weird Start Up Problem
« on: 2011-03-07 14:42:01 »
So, I did a reformat not to long ago after buying some new computer parts,
making me reinstall my final fantasy 7&8. Now heres the problem:
At first Final Fantasy 7 played just fine I started a new game and played a bit then went to work.
After I returned, I decided to patch it and add some add-ons to it.
Then I decided to install FF8 and when I tried to start it up all I got was a black screen, and the sounds of the starting FMV, then it kicks me back to desktop.
It doesn't crash or anything, it just acts as if I minimized it, when I try re-tabbing it open, it minimizes itself again making it unplayable.
I went back and tried play FF7 and I get the same minimize problem.
I've ran in 98 compatibility, reinstalled both games and tried every video configure option with no answer.

Now when I was adding the add-ons to FF7 one required me to download a k-lite codec, I believe this might be the problem source.
Only I can not find for the life of me how to access them or delete them, any help would be appreciated <3

Kemlin

• View Profile
Re: Weird Start Up Problem
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-07 20:26:34 »
First, did you install Aali's driver?:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8306.0

Most modern mods require it, or crashes will happen. Second, you should be able to remove the codec pack from the Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista, 7) windows in Control Panel. Third, while not needed, there's a mod that improves the quality of movies:

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10980.0

You'll need Aali's driver for them to work, of course.

If you remove the codecs, re-install the game, and install Aali's driver, I imagine your game will work fine. If not, at least Aali's driver will provide a .log file for you to post.

Edit: Changed my post to be consistent with Aali's statement.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-07 21:02:28 by Kemlin »

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-07 20:32:43 »
For the record, if you use my driver you don't need to have any codecs installed, its all included with the driver. (It doesn't use DirectShow so its not even able to use any codecs you might have installed)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-07 21:53:53 »
also make sure you do not have saint's hi res patch installed as this is outdated and can cause some serious issues. If you have aali's driver you will be able to set the resolution to most anything you like. Also if you have really new parts they probably can't even read directx 5 correctly, Aali's driver fixes this because it uses opengl 2 as a rendering protocol which all modern cards and cpu's support. You didn't say but I am willing to guess based on your issue that you haven't tried aali's driver. If you have then I have no idea what else could be the matter? By the way their is a driver version for both ff7 and 8 so you should be good.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-07 21:55:30 by yarLson »

4EverDead

« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-08 20:46:40 »
Alright thanks for the suggestions I shall try this once I return from work and let you all know!
Thanks again