Author Topic: Where did you get your copy of FFVII?  (Read 13430 times)

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Where did you get your copy of FFVII?
« on: 2011-12-02 23:48:52 »
So today I went Christmas shopping and spent ages in Glasgow city centre searching to no avail for presents. Went into a used game store that had a few of those "retro cabinets" - you know - with Sega Mega Drive's and ancient games.

Lo and behold - Final Fantasy VII for PC. I asked the guy what condition it was in and he said it was mint, I checked it before I bought it and it REALLY is. The best bit? - £5. WOOHOO!

I have my original PC copy which my dog destroyed, and my intact original PSX copy, which my uncle gave me almost 15 years ago ^_^.

So where did you guys get yours?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: Where did you get your copy of FFVII?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-03 00:04:29 »
Besides the PSN version I bought for my PSP/PS3... Oh man, I never bought it. It was a gift. My cousin played it and said he didn't want it anymore. He gave it to me. After I played it a bit I was like "HOW THE F*CK COULD YOU NOT LIKE THAT GAME?????" but I was happy so I didn't complain. Now it's lost somewhere deep in all my old stuff cause I made ISOs out of 'em. The point of this was to protect them, but... oh well....

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-12-03 00:42:32 »
An old lady who lived a few apartments down from me was constantly buying games only to play them once or twice, and I got most of the leftovers when she got bored. I got two Pajama Sam games, four Putt-Putt games, and Sonic & Knuckles Collection over the years. FF7 (which she gave me in 1999) was the only T-rated game.

About two years ago, my sister stepped on the install disc, but I was able to find a replacement on eBay for about ten bucks, for just the install disc. Aside from that, I still have the same copy I did way back then.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-12-03 01:04:19 »
I looked forever cuz I'm so cheap.
I finally found a copy of FFVII at 1/2 Price Books.
I cried a little when I had to pay $22.48 for it.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2011-12-03 02:45:17 »
Bought it at a game stop shortly after it came out. I don't even think the 1.02 patch was released yet.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-12-03 10:03:47 »
I picked up my Platinum PS1 version for about £10 at a Sunday market around the time the Platinum version came out, my first PC Version I bought from a store which got lost when I moved house and then the most recent PC version I have was bought from a mate who couldn't run it on his PC and had given up trying.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-12-03 12:26:29 »
Good question...I have no idea. It was back in 1999 though. Probably from Electronics Boutique (GAME nowadays)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-12-03 15:32:54 »
I bought it when it first came out for psx, same as ffviii. It was at an independent game retailer that has long went out of business.  Now they sit collecting dust while I have the ISO's on my computer.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-12-03 15:48:05 »
My uncle bought it for me when i was young...yes a bit strange present for a hard rpg game for a little kid but one of the best ever! :D. I used to even play it when i was sittin on a potty xD while grinding up levels next to the chocobo place. aaaah memories <3

royalmurder

• View Profile
    • Ian Merryweather
« Reply #9 on: 2011-12-03 16:34:03 »
I don't remember when my first copy entered my life (it was the original PAL psx release though)
and a pc version magically appeared from somewhere too, but since then I've purchased another non-platinum psx version (I lost the original disc 1), and have re-acquired the pc version.
Think I paid about £15 for the psx copy, and my friend gave me his pc version for fixing some windows laptop ^- ^

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #10 on: 2011-12-04 12:37:44 »
a friend gave me a copy for the psx, because he was to busy playing some other game to be bothered to start playing ff7.this was 97 or 98. i was into the Jrpg games so he told me i could borrow it till he was able to play it.(he never wanted it back). then a few years later i was wondering around a box store, and found both ff7 and ff8 for the pc on the clearance rack. together the two games cost me $10. tried to play 7 on my pc it crashed(coral prison) , tried to play 8 on my pc it crashed(2nd garden). then i forgot about them for a while. and just used the psx version. later on my brother had trashed my copy of 7 and it had be replaced with a greatest hits version. then i remembered about having them , found qhimm's and have a fully working ff7 for my pc . i lost almost all the ff8 pc disks over the years. when i started working on PS3 saves for BC i borrowed a PS3 and got a copy of ff7 off the PSN. just a few weeks ago i got my own ps3 so now i have it on mine also.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-12-04 12:53:22 »
Internet.

*awaits pirate avatar*

EDIT: Well if we're talking about PS1, then I bought that a few years ago from a yard sale for about $10. Original too, not Greatest Hits/Platinum.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-04 12:57:59 by DarkFang »

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-12-04 14:09:18 »
Wow that is very cool sith!

DarkFang, please tell me that you actually *bought* it?

ProtoX

« Reply #13 on: 2011-12-04 14:42:50 »
i bought mine at gamers 3 years ago for like 10 bucks and made 2 backup copys and sent the original back so others can buy it

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-04 15:33:07 »
Wow that is very cool sith!

DarkFang, please tell me that you actually *bought* it?

PS1 version from the yard sale? Yeah.
PC version? No.
Not gonna lie.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-04 15:37:08 »
I think that, just because you bought the PSX version doesn't grant you the PC right.

Well, I'm not gonna begin such discussion, don't want to start a flame war on what is legal and what isn't.

jinkazama2k7

• Philippine Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-05 09:39:55 »
I just bought my original copy of FF7 PC version last july 2011 here in Philippines at Mall of Asia and it was 500php.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-05 15:33:19 »
I think that, just because you bought the PSX version doesn't grant you the PC right.

Well, I'm not gonna begin such discussion, don't want to start a flame war on what is legal and what isn't.

I totally agree with you.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2011-12-05 15:39:19 »
*sighs*

Really darkfang? Could you not just keep your mouth shut?

Now I have to figure out whether we should just give you the pirate avatar or something a bit more, given your past transgressions.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-12-05 16:37:11 »
*sighs*

Really darkfang? Could you not just keep your mouth shut?

Now I have to figure out whether we should just give you the pirate avatar or something a bit more, given your past transgressions.

The only thing I did wrong was post a link to gore while I was drunk. Pretty sure there are other members on these forums causing more ruckus than me.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-12-05 17:13:06 »
The only thing I did wrong was post a link to gore while I was drunk. Pretty sure there are other members on these forums causing more ruckus than me.
That was also after originally confessing to downloading the game and defending your position of pirating being ok.   I was then later convinced to give you a second chance and unban you.     So what do you do?  You come to this thread just to rub your pirating skills in our faces.    I mean, you already know the forum rules, yet you make a point to fly in the face of them.   Oh, and if you feel there are others unfit to be here... that's what the "report to moderator" button is for.  That's also what PMs are for.

Bad decision, my friend.  Bad, bad decision.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #21 on: 2011-12-05 21:13:07 »

psx discs:  1st time, bought because on sale for $14.95 at Wal Mart shortly after getting a playstation.  my first playthrough was just shamefully comical.  i made it to the materia keeper with a level ~20 party and my only level 2 spell was Fire2, and my other powerful attack was Ifrit.  Suffice it to say, I never beat that Materia Keeper and had to restart.  I made sure I never got stuck again.

then i got one set ass a gift, inherited another one, and claimed an abandoned copy as my own. 

pc copy:  saw them at Gamestop (actually I think it was a Software Etc. back then) circa 2000 everytime I visited...after three months I just decided to buy them.  Wasn't very pleased with the decision until many years later when I discovered qhimm.
« Last Edit: 2011-12-05 21:22:40 by xLostWingx »

Godofwar

« Reply #22 on: 2011-12-13 00:49:30 »
I'm a weirdo, I own several copies for pc and playstation.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2011-12-21 16:30:22 »
I got it as a birthday present the year it came out.
I am very envious of your cheap find in the store! I'm always on the lookout for another cheap PC copy, just so I can, well, be greedy and have two.

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2011-12-21 18:19:46 »
I got the PSX version ten years ago in a whole in the wall store for 17 bucks! Then when I found this website I bought the PC version on ebay. First Final Fantasy i ever played. I have a special place in my heart for this game.