Author Topic: Remove save function from save points in field / the world map  (Read 11391 times)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
is there any easy way to go about this? i hope this is not as crazy as my sense-overlimit thing
« Last Edit: 2012-08-24 10:34:13 by KuugenTheFox »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: REMOVE save points from field
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-24 09:57:04 »
Very likely you will have to use makou reactor and edit the programming.  It shouldn't be too hard, I remove stuff all the time with it.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-24 10:14:32 »
as I see it, a save point is basically 2 groups in the field script
an actor entry for the field model
and a location entry which does the script work
so, would simply deleting both entries complete work?

alternative, this is what I see at a save point as relevant for making 'save' available ( and I think this is also what a trainer does when it enables save everywhere )
Set the 1 bit to 1 in Var[13][91] ( the var 13 91 here is "allowed to save/phs/tent", right? so setting that to 1 permanently via trainer would allow always save )

Var[2][30] = Var[2][30] & 64767 (16-bit)
I have no idea what this part does though. it looks different depending on where the save is and some points even call gamemoment to change the & value
is this setting some kind of PHS thing?
I see it sets FF when you move away but still, no idea what this does.

so instead of deleting the entry entirely, could I just disable 'saving' without disabling tent and PHS, without deleting the points? since the text entry is separate for each save point, I could create Rest Points and Save Points.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-24 10:16:54 »
Disable saving would probably not delete the actual save graphic on the field.  You need to delete the code that shows the save point.  Remove entry.

If you ever want to create a save point, that will prove more tricky because then you are dealing with ff7's coordinate system... which is why I gave up on my 1:35 soldier quest... until Myst6re does something about easier item placement.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-24 10:20:51 »
I don't actually mind the model. I can just turn it into a 'rest' point where you can PHS and maybe Tent ( unless Tent relies on save being available to work, then no tent ) then it's just a 'call' point.
I really want to disable only the save function on specific save points. If possible I'd like to keep the tent and PHS function
do you happen to know what the second variable sets? I suppose I could test if tent works on save points when i change the first variable to set 0 instead of set 1

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-24 10:22:04 »
Never gone into it, I'm afraid.  Myst6re and so forth will know for sure.  If it is possible to do that then it WILL be easy.  That's the good news.

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-24 10:25:32 »
You can make a dummy model with a transparent texture. Or maybe even just a transparent texture. The save will still be there but wont be visible

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
I just tried
the field function is "Set bit" and the modifiable variables are basically everything EXCEPT what value it sets

changing the code to 'reset bit' and entering the same variable, it does set 0 to the 1 bit

gonna test what that affects, now

edit: I want to remove save points as a gameplay mechanic, not visually.

edit 2: changing just the set bit to reset bit does seemingly nothing at all? I just tried ingame and even changed the field once but it didn't do anything. I could still save and use tents. so what is that bit for?
« Last Edit: 2012-08-24 10:34:32 by KuugenTheFox »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-24 10:29:03 »
You should update your title also.... ;)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
done and done.

anyway, I'll try deleting the entire thing now ( gotta make a backup first ) and see what happens

edit: okay, removing both groups works fine but I now would prefer to have 'Rest' and 'Call' points
« Last Edit: 2012-08-24 10:39:11 by KuugenTheFox »

Kranmer

• View Profile
Well instead of editing every map in makou reactor you can just NOP (overwrite with 90)
0020C6AB
0020C6AC
0020C6AD
0020C6AE
0020C6AF
0020C6B0
in the EXE and then all save points should just be there for decoration (meaning they don't do anything but look pretty), i have only tested this at 4 spots through the game but it SHOULD work. Still not sure on how to make only PHS work at save points but i will look into it (but i make no promises)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Uhm, I don't want to delete the save function from every save point in existence. sorry if it looked like that. sorry to have wasted your time.
I just want to disable strategically some savepoints to make failure more punishing. For example, the save point in shinra HQ 64f
or the Mt. Nibel save point

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
You should also eliminate the flashback save, if you can. Anybody who can't play through that exposition dump in one sitting is not hardcore.  ;)

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
that one should be fairly simple to delete, I guess?
also looking into deleting free-to-use rest points

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
No the flashback should stay.  It is tedious if something happens and you end up having to replay it.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
getting lil off-topic now. I still wanna see if I can turn a save point into a PHS-only or Tent-only point

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
I started experimenting with mogs as save-points using the skript and text of the beholders in ancient tempel to create save-points like FF9. If you activate contact with field models it is impossible for the player to reach the save point.  Instead he will see the text with the questions.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Hm, yes, that would be one way to go about it. I forgot, do the ancient temple things let you PHS? ( Because I definitely don't want them to let you shop )

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
You have to do some extra work. The guy in the meeting-room of the highwind  has a useful script with PHS. But using tents, well i show you my mog script:

0 Deactivate the movability of the playable character
2 Disables access to the main menu
4 Play animation #1 of the field model and reset to previous state (speed=1)
7 Var[5][11] = 0 (8-bit)
11 Resizes/Repositions the window #0 (X=8, Y=8, width=138, height=73)
21 Ask Question "“Schlafe{, }schlafe …” Ausruhen Speichern Vergiss es" in the window #0 (and put             selected answer in Var[5][11]) first line=1, last line=3
28 If Var[5][11] == 1 (else jump to byte 99)
34    Var[15][20] = amount of item Zelt in the inventory
39    If Var[15][20] == 0 (else jump to byte 60)
45       Create window #0 (X=65, Y=10, Width=173, Height=25)
55       Displays the dialog "Du brauchst ein Zelt zum Ausruhen." in the window #0
58       Jump to byte 121
60    Fades the screen to the colour RGB(0, 0, 0) (speed=8, type=2, adjust=0)
69    Wait for fade
70    Restores full HP and MP of every available character and removing status effects
71    Wait 200 frame
74    Fades the screen to the colour RGB(0, 0, 0) (speed=12, type=1, adjust=255)
83    Wait for fade
84    Remove 1 item(s) Zelt from the inventory
89     Resizes/Repositions the window #0 (X=65, Y=10, width=173, height=25)
99 If Var[5][11] == 2 (else jump to byte 115)
105    Wait 4 frame
108    Show menu Save (parameter 0)
112    Wait 1 frame
115 If Var[5][11] == 3 (else jump to byte 121)
121 Activate the movability of the playable character
123 Enables access to the main menu
125 Return

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
And here with PHS:

0 Deactivate the movability of the playable character
2 Disables access to the main menu
4 Play animation #1 of the field model and reset to previous state (speed=1)
7 Var[5][11] = 0 (8-bit)
11 Resizes/Repositions the window #0 (X=8, Y=8, width=138, height=89)
21 Ask Question "“Schlafe{, }schlafe …” Ausruhen Speichern PHS Vergiss es" in the window #0 (and put selected answer in Var[5][11]) first line=1, last line=4
28 If Var[5][11] == 1 (else jump to byte 99)
34   Var[15][20] = amount of item Zelt in the inventory
39   If Var[15][20] == 0 (else jump to byte 60)
45      Create window #0 (X=65, Y=10, Width=173, Height=25)
55      Displays the dialog "Du brauchst ein Zelt zum Ausruhen." in the window #0
58      Jump to byte 121
60   Fades the screen to the colour RGB(0, 0, 0) (speed=8, type=2, adjust=0)
69   Wait for fade
70   Restores full HP and MP of every available character and removing status effects
71   Wait 200 frame
74   Fades the screen to the colour RGB(0, 0, 0) (speed=12, type=1, adjust=255)
83   Wait for fade
84   Remove 1 item(s) Zelt from the inventory
89   Resizes/Repositions the window #0 (X=65, Y=10, width=173, height=25)
99 If Var[5][11] == 2 (else jump to byte 115)
105   Wait 4 frame
108   Show menu Save (parameter 0)
112   Wait 1 frame
115 If Var[5][11] == 3 (else jump to byte 125)
121   Show menu Change party (parameter 0)
125 If Var[5][11] == 4 (else jump to byte 131)
131 Activate the movability of the playable character
133 Enables access to the main menu
135 Return

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Got the script working but jesus it is a pain to modify every save point manually
at least Mako lets me copy paste the script
« Last Edit: 2012-08-26 17:19:49 by KuugenTheFox »

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
The script work as it is (only:58   jump to byte 121 has to be jump to byte 125; 4 play animation... is not needed) you must create the texts for the  windows as well. Changing scripts could be dangerous. The best would be if you use a flevel.lgp file for testing and understanding what the script is doing.
This doesn't mean keep your hands from it, i actually have no experience in scripting. But with a little bit working and (much) time i understand some actions of the script.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Haha!  Dear lord this game is a time waster isn't it.  When you're finished with the game, you start with the modding!  ;D

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
You have no idea how much time I wasted on this mod already
More than I have ever played the game, all playthroughs combined
I think just editing flevel.lgp so far consumed up to 60 hours, so that leaves ff7.exe, kernel and kernel2 as well as scene.bin

I'm going with Savepoints, Callpoints, Restpoints, Safetypoints ( Rest + Save ), Restockpoints ( Rest + PHS ), Regrouppoints ( Save + PHS ) and Omnipoints ( Save + PHS + Rest )

one word: BLERGH

Kaldarasha

• View Profile
You can say that loud.
But working in the script (THANKS myst6re for MakouReaktor) gave me many options for improvements.
By the way i found a possibility make the the transparent characters visible.

I used the light-shader from Sephiroth: map kuro_8; model cefi      I believe it was the first light filter block 

Field Model graphic filter - Activate blending
Wait for graphic filter
Field Model graphic filter - LIGHT ( leave all 255, and make 1 to 0)
Wait 1 frame
Field Model graphic filter - LIGHT