Author Topic: Degree choices  (Read 7198 times)

Zophixan

• View Profile
Degree choices
« on: 2006-04-08 11:15:33 »
Hey guys, I think I may have chosen the wrong degree... I've chosen physics, but unfortunately, I'm not sure I'm interested in the subject.. I mean , I find it painfully dull at A level, as its just stick in numberst etc, nothing concrete! I've heard its different at uni though.. could someone recomend me a physics textbook used at uni, so I can see what its like?

Midgar

• View Profile
Degree choices
« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-13 19:24:10 »
Physics is easy, isn' that why you choose it? What do you want to do when you grow up? If you don't like plugging in numbers into equations, dont take chemistry either. I don't have one, but check out your school bookstore.

Zophixan

• View Profile
Degree choices
« Reply #2 on: 2006-04-15 06:46:40 »
Well apparantly, chemistry is also different at uni.. but I dunno :P.. I just want to take a degree and then get a job. I chose it because its basically the most well paid out of all the subjects I take (maths, physics, music, english lit)... I should mention, I'm not actually at uni yet... for those who don't know, in the Uk, you choose your degree+uni a year before you go etc.

Midgar

• View Profile
Degree choices
« Reply #3 on: 2006-04-15 20:00:25 »
Is the Uni far away? If not you could maybe shadow for a day there or something. I looked at a physics book in the 'States, and its not different. And jobs are NOT fun! -_- They're not supposed to be! :z

How about being a cook? :love: If you like cooking maybe its a good job. Do you like computers? Maybe something in software or hardware management? Management, hmm thats a hard to get job, but its supposed to be really easy. Are you a sports guy?

More directly, what do you want when you grow up?

Zophixan

• View Profile
Degree choices
« Reply #4 on: 2006-04-17 18:08:14 »
no idea lol... I'm thinking of just getting there and taking it as it comes at the moment!

Jedimark

• View Profile
Degree choices
« Reply #5 on: 2006-04-18 13:18:09 »
If you find it "painfully dull" at A Level I really wouldn't reccomend taking it at degree level! Do something you enjoy.

Zophixan

• View Profile
Degree choices
« Reply #6 on: 2006-04-19 00:52:01 »
I only find it dull because... its so watered down.. its quite hard to explain what I mean, but basically at the moment, its just stick in numbers into formulas... I know there is so much more behind it! I hate being given a formula and them not telling me how they derived it!

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
Degree choices
« Reply #7 on: 2006-04-19 11:30:39 »
You could just go and study History like me...

Or you could tell me to get lost. You suggest that while doing so, I can start learning the exact dates and times on which his royal Emperor Napoleon Buonaparte went to take a big royal dump...

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Degree choices
« Reply #8 on: 2006-04-22 05:26:04 »
You know.. I liked programming, but when i took a class on it it totally ruined it for me.. Also .. I liked networking, but after all the classes I didn't care for it as much. I loved working on computers, but after college.. I didnt touch mine the same way..

Basically I lost the interest I had.. Don't know why.. But I did.. I still LOVE computers and I mess with mine all the time..

Recently I built a router out of my old P 3 550.. It works great..

I do have a computer related job right now, but I was kinda scared because after school I just didnt care about computers anymore. That's kinda scary really.. When you finish your education and then feel like it's not what you want to do with your life..

So.. If you think you chose the wrong thing.. You could always go for general education classes.. I mean.. You can study about the fields you go in to, but you can always change your mind..

You know.. I'd recommend that you also when looking to choose a degree or field.. Look at the job market.. I mean.. Seriously.. It's pretty tough to get a job out there in some fields.. (Mine for example)

I hate physics.. But that's just me.. Why don't you google it a bit or use good ol wikipedia.. ~_^

& Good luck to ya.

jeomancer20

Re: Degree choices
« Reply #9 on: 2009-01-15 16:31:36 »
It is kind of scary because you can not performs best in your job if you don't like programming and computer. It makes uncomfortable and not fully concentrated.

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-01-18 11:39:09 »
Man, I chose IT and after working in it for a while I can say IT is boring.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-01-20 02:47:34 »
if it not too late fer you to switch disciplines, i suggest you work double hard to figure out what you wanna do. yer best off trying to do what you have fun with, as you'll do better at it and thus be more succesful than strugling through something you dont really enjoy. dont think bout keepin the fun fer hobbies... do yer hobbies fer a living. make your place.

kohan69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-03-16 07:00:27 »
I think Mark Twain said it best:

I never let my schooling get in the way of my education.

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #13 on: 2009-03-28 18:30:56 »
Ehemm... do not resurrect dead topics - this topic was started 3 years ago...