Author Topic: Cross-platform Hosting/Joining  (Read 3156 times)

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
Cross-platform Hosting/Joining
« on: 2011-07-15 00:36:12 »
A person playing Black Ops on the PS3 can invite or join a game with Xbox and PS3 users.

Do you think this will ever happen?

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Re: Cross-platform Hosting/Joining
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-15 00:40:54 »
Not likely.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-15 01:18:13 »
I recall reading about a study that showed unskilled players with mouse+keyboard consistently wiped the floor with SKILLED players on consoles. Too lazy to find the link, but basically it's not gonna happen because the console versions would stop selling.

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-15 01:20:49 »
Oh yes, playing an FPS is far much easier on the PC than on consoles, but I was just talking about strictly consoles.

xLostWingx

• No Comment
    • View Profile
    • FFVII Lost Wing Mod/Hacks
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-15 01:30:55 »
Controller Mouse/Keyboard effectiveness at shooters probably something like this.

PS3/Xbox compatibility would probably be good though.  Idk if it is likely or not.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-15 03:54:42 »
Oh yes, playing an FPS is far much easier on the PC than on consoles, but I was just talking about strictly consoles.

You say that but it's somewhat subjective with mixed results, I've rocked socks with a pad on Counter Strike and TF2 and yes on a PC, I played Halo PC for quite a while with a modded Xbox Duke pad(the old HEUG LEIK XBAWKS ones) and did quite well, Lost Planet Colonies edition has cross platform PC vs 360 play, most 360 players were kicking ass and taking names on that one, Shadowrun was also dominated by 360 players but only because PC users were nerfed a bit with mouse acceleration/smoothing or something.

I usually plug in my 360 pad to play L4D2 though, and I'm playing FEAR 3 with it as well.

Fighters like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear almost always need a pad or stick to play on PC, although I do know a guy that plays PC SF4 with his keyboard as Gen and rarely looses.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-15 13:10:28 »
It's technically feasible, but bugfixes and patches must be released to both platforms simultaneously. There's a significantly increased QA workload for any developer who opts for this route, and little return unless it's pay-for-multiplayer.