Author Topic: FF8 - Logitech Rumblepad 2 Not Working  (Read 9119 times)

Jamers

• View Profile
FF8 - Logitech Rumblepad 2 Not Working
« on: 2009-07-25 20:30:50 »
So, this is very peculiar. I can play FF8 with the gamepad just fine on my 64bit Vista laptop, but on my 32bit Vista desktop, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my gamepad working. I've double checked FF8 Config, I've tried mapping the buttons to the keyboard controls, I double checked that the gamepad still works... I'm really at a loss here.

EDIT: I suspect there's some issue with other USB devices interfering. Haven't been able to figure it out yet though.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-25 23:19:10 by Jamers »

Goku7

• View Profile
Re: FF8 - Logitech Rumblepad 2 Not Working
« Reply #1 on: 2009-07-26 01:39:32 »
When confused, go back to the basics.

Does the controller show up under "Game Controllers" in the Control Panel?  If its there, FF8 should see it.  Secondly, FF8 talks to the controller using DirectInput.  You could also run DXDIAG to check if its detected in the "Input" tab.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-07-26 01:43:10 »
When confused, go back to the basics.

Does the controller show up under "Game Controllers" in the Control Panel?  If its there, FF8 should see it.  Secondly, FF8 talks to the controller using DirectInput.  You could also run DXDIAG to check if its detected in the "Input" tab.

It does show up, and also appears when I run DXDIAG. I regularly use it with FF7, so I know it's working...

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-07-26 02:32:09 »
Ok, so its not a driver problem.

....Are you attempting to run FF8 in any compatiblity mode?  If I remember right, USB controllers might have issues when used with a program running under Win95 or 98 compatibility mode.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-07-26 04:00:14 »
Ok, so its not a driver problem.

....Are you attempting to run FF8 in any compatiblity mode?  If I remember right, USB controllers might have issues when used with a program running under Win95 or 98 compatibility mode.

Administrator rights and XP SP2. Hmm. That gives me an idea. Perhaps I should try running it regularly.

EDIT: Nope, didn't do anything.
« Last Edit: 2009-07-26 04:09:13 by Jamers »

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-07-26 06:21:47 »
Eh, then at this point you ought to try running the DX6 install package.  I wouldn't be surprised if M$ skimped on the pre-DX8 stuff in whatever DirectX package that gets distrubuted with Vista.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-07-26 15:31:03 »
Eh, then at this point you ought to try running the DX6 install package.  I wouldn't be surprised if M$ skimped on the pre-DX8 stuff in whatever DirectX package that gets distrubuted with Vista.

Okay, how will that affect my current DX package? Will I need to reinstall that afterward?

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-07-26 19:57:01 »
No.  The DirectX installer is pretty smart, it will NOT overwrite your directX 10 files that are on vista, it may even go so far as to say that the install is not necessary due to it being an older DX (and therefore exit the install); however, if the case is that your DX10 package is missing some DX6 files, those should get added in.

I had to do something similar a few years ago, somehow my DX9 install was completely missing a bunch of DX8 stuff, to the point where D3D7 and D3D9 would work but D3D8 would fail spectacularly.  Running the DX8.1 redistrubutable added in the missing files, despite the fact it saw that my current version of DX was 9.0

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-07-26 20:28:45 »
I see, thank you for the information. It won't let me install DX 6.1, it turns out, probably because of the reasons you stated. Right now I'm just playing with my keyboard, and it's really not half bad, I just wish I could figure out the reason for this. Anyway, thanks for all the help so far, if I somehow figure it out I'll be sure to update the thread.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-07-26 20:49:35 »
Ok, I just remembered something that could help you in this situation.

Joy to Key (English version)

This should allow you to map your current keyboard controls to your gamepad.  This will bypass FF8's native gamepad support, as it is an outside program.  I haven't used it myself, but I heard a lot of people on console emulation forums have success using it to get their gamepads working with whatever game they're playing.

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-07-26 22:10:36 »
Ok, I just remembered something that could help you in this situation.

Joy to Key (English version)

This should allow you to map your current keyboard controls to your gamepad.  This will bypass FF8's native gamepad support, as it is an outside program.  I haven't used it myself, but I heard a lot of people on console emulation forums have success using it to get their gamepads working with whatever game they're playing.

Hmmm... this SHOULD work, but it doesn't. Which is utterly confounding, haha.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-07-26 23:43:02 »
Does the program do its job outside of FF8?  If not, then perhaps a reinstall of the gamepad's drivers are in order?

Finally, you mentioned earlier that it could be interference from another USB device.  How many devices are hooked up and installed?

Jamers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-07-27 00:30:15 »
Does the program do its job outside of FF8?  If not, then perhaps a reinstall of the gamepad's drivers are in order?

Finally, you mentioned earlier that it could be interference from another USB device.  How many devices are hooked up and installed?

I'll check the program tomorrow when I am able; only the gamepad, my keyboard, and my mouse are currently hooked up via USB ports. Truly perplexing, thanks again for the help!