Author Topic: request for custom shaders and/or help making them  (Read 7300 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
*update*
Working on converting shaders for psx emu to work with aali's driver. However this will remain on hold until we have more help and/or make a break through here. I don't really know what I am doing with OGSL so unless some experts get in on this its going to take me a while. Once I finish my current project this will become my main focus. I will also be reading up on OGSL in the coming months as I work on the field map resize. There are some links to the shaders below and what little information is known is posted as well. Would really appreciate some help. I am willing to put a slight hold on my current work if we can make some headway on this. This should probably be reposted into the projects thread, but then again since its still sort of in the request stage, maybe not.

here's a link to download and a guide on how to use most of the shaders available for pete's opengl2 plugin, you can download guest's without having to join and it contains most of the shaders
http://forums.ngemu.com/psx-plugin-questions-troubleshooting/76098-links-guides-custom-shaders-petes-opengl2-plugin.html
also more shaders are here
http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm#SHADER

now I have already tried using some of these shaders unedited and aali's driver seems to load both the frag and vert files just fine but the problem is nothing is displayed. There are no errors but just a black screen. so I attempted to hand edit the shaders in notepad to be compatible with aali's driver. But so far to no avail. But then again I really have no idea what I am doing here so I really require the input or advice of an expert. According to aali himself it can be done easily (I just don't know what I am doing) so please a little help would go a long way. I will do all the work I just need a few pointers. I am even willing to hand edit all of the available shader's and make them available for download as my first contribution to the forums, of course I will give credit to all the original authors and anyone who helps me, but I figure since these shaders are free for download in the first place that this has to be legal. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

I will also continue trying this for the next few hours and edit this post if I have any success.

*edit*seem to have successfully converted the frag shader ( i think) won't really be able to tell if there are any bugs until I get the vert shaders working as well. Still the same problem with the vert... loading up with a black screen. I am kinda just guessing at this point so hopefully I should get it eventually. I will post the first shader I am able to get working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I guess I'll have to start learning opengl shader language (on account of my laziness I wanted to avoid this) if the problem persists.  I am determined to get this working sooner or later. Perhaps this should be moved to the projects forum?
« Last Edit: 2011-03-09 09:39:05 by yarLson »

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Re: request for custom shaders and/or help making them
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-02 13:30:36 »
I've tried this before, it's in Aali's custom graphics driver thread. Search for my posts in that thread and you'll be able to see some of the (mixed) results I got from using these. I've tried every one in the files that you linked to. They need to be adapted, and even then they won't display in the same way that they do on ePSXe. The reason is in Aali's thread. I'm too lazy to link it just now, I'll get one for you later when I have time!

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-02 22:39:52 »
thanks for the reply. I checked aali's driver thread in this feedback forum and didn't find anything from you. I also checked the thread in the projects forum but it seems that all posts that are not by aali in that thread have been and will be deleted so if that was the thread im afraid the info is gone. If there's another thread I would definately appreciate the link. Thanks again for the help I'll keep at it and see if I come up with anything good. Its been 2 days now working on it in my spare time and i'm still having major issues with the vertex shaders.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-02 23:15:34 »
Here is a 2mins search
I don't know if the info Lex was talking about but here we are

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10054.msg108753#msg108753

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-03 00:57:17 »
Yeah ice_cold, that's the discussion I was talking about. If you follow it from there Aali gives a reply and an explanation for why it doesnt work.

My next post in that thread about it is here, and it is explained after that why it doesn't work in the same way.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-03 03:22:03 »
thanks for the info I haven't found aali's post yet but I'll keep looking and I'm sure I'll come to it. as for the shaders themselves I know that .slf is frag and .slv is vert just saw that in question. I got a few ideas based on the info I found hopefully I can find aali's post soon. This might help me get at least a somewhat functioning shader. I really appreciate the effort guys! I really wish we could get someone with more experience, I mean even if I do start learning the language who knows how long that could take? I am actually going to make an attempt at contacting pete himself but who knows how much good that will do. I mean these shaders can really do amazing things. I found a more recent shader pack by guest and all of the effects work even better. I mean I've noticed a couple of projects where people wanna go screen for screen expanding the resolution of the background and battle images, but with something like 4Xhq such a a project would be uneeded it produced almost exactly the same results with a hell of a lot less work. Which is why I want to get these working so badly. And of course the toon shader is awesome and the updated one i found is even better. This simply has to be done somehow and I'm gonna make sure of it. I just hope I can get it done soon.

*EDIT*
figured out something. the frag filters do not seem to work if you use them as frag filter but they work (at least every one ive tried so far) if you use them as post processing filter. vertex filter will not work properly no matter how you use it. This is a real shame as it is the vert filter that really makes the cell shader and the texture enhancements what they are. the frag is just added effect it seems the vertex is the base of the shaders. Its a real shame. Every time I try to modify the vert shader I get an error. If I don't modify it loads but with black screen. I really need some expert advice here. Will love you to the end of earth. This modding community needs these shaders to really surpass the psx version in ALL aspects. Really shaders are the only thing the psx version has on the pc version because of all the wonderful mods this forum has provided. Lets seal this deal as soon as possible and make the pc the undisputable champion! Until then however, you can still enjoy half of these filters with the knowledge I have aquired thus far (from the beginning of the paragraph). Here is the latest version of guests shader pack. All the best shaders, by far are in this pack. Somehow I am going to try and get a hold of this man if possible. I am even i willing to pay him to convert his shaders. I promise if there is a way I'm gonna make this happen. But for now, enjoy:D

http://www.razyboard.com/system/morethread-new-shader-pack-pete_bernert-266904-3672230-0.html

*re-edit
also if anyone has a clue. I found a code file in this new shader pack ^ look through it with notepad and found a note followed by definitions. the note said these are required by my shaders. Perhaps these could help to begin to solve the problem with the vert shader.  Any info on this would be just swell. I know it has to be just a few things that need changed or edited. I mean most of these codes are maybe the equivelent of about a paragraph so how much could it be? I just have to know what to change. I know by now that changing even the slightest thing to something invalid will cause an error. This is touchy stuff. Gonna be reading up on OGSL in my spare time and maybe it'll all start to make sense. It can't be too complex I'm sure. Its not like I have to build it from scratch. One final question, is there something I need to know about aali's driver to make these compatible? I mean I've learned that a shader has to be written on a per program basis so are there some kind of definitions unique to aali's driver that I need to know to convert these shaders? I think aali himself could answer this question best. Already tried to pm him with no response, is there an appropriate forum of his that I can query this to? Thank you anyone for your help or input.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-03 08:47:39 by yarLson »

Cloud7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-03-08 10:05:34 »
Epic.
I think this is the most valuable idea since aali's driver himself.
I try to help you if I can, just loaded some shaders and try to look over them.
Till then ,
Cloud7.

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-03-08 21:21:16 »
thank you sir, I really really need some help with this, and am kinda surprised at the apparent lack of interest in this. you may also want to check out my current project here
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11430.msg159028#msg159028
it started off shaky for me but I have since solved my issues and am able to make decent progress. Just look through that thread and you'll be able to find some images of what we are doing.

this photo enhancement project combined with the shader's and custom models that have been/are being made would be totally epic. I am still trying to get these to work but it looks like I am going to have to learn a new language before I make any sort of progress. Luckily I have plenty of time before my photo resize project will be done :p

If we can get at least one shader working fully we can start up a thread in the projects forum and probably get more support behind it. I am willing to work on this full time if we can find a way to make it work. I imagine it wouldn't take long at all once we figure out what to do. We may just have to find a way to get the pro's interested.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-09 09:38:16 by yarLson »