Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836798 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #3725 on: 2016-06-06 17:59:56 »
You do have a counter against Reflect; it's only real function at this stage is to block Cure (specifically Cure+All), but you have Potions which can restore 300HP in-battle as a viable alternative. The idea with Reflect here was to get people looking at their healing items a bit more before they progress further, because usually Potions get ignored in the default game (in NT, they're more useful for longer due to that fixed 300HP heal, especially with MBarrier becoming available soon).

As for indicating when Reflect gets applied, I renamed Air Buster's opening attack to Mirror Bomber but I should rename Beta Wave to Mirror Wave as well.

jpzchaos14

• View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: 2016-06-06 20:55:28 »
Quick question, if ever you make a v1.5 and I install it while I'm in the middle of progress in v1.4, will it affect the save I'm playing?
Affect as it add-in the updates while the save was created from v1.4
Compare this question if so happen I started the game with v1.3 and updated the game with 1.4.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: 2016-06-07 06:11:54 »
Hard to say, I don't have a clear-cut plan for 1.5; I'm only bumping NT up to that designation when I'm 100% happy with everything and all the bugs have been sorted out. I might drop the new game+ thing I was going to do for it; what I had planned there would work better as a separate mod.

Save-files should be fine between 1.4 and 1.5.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: 2016-06-07 10:12:18 »
The secret of SP was pretty interesting! I won't mention it since it seems I'm not the only person here playing this for the first time. Well, this iteration.

I made sure to have Yuffie with me when we looked at the dead Zolom 'cuz I knew you would have to input new dialogue for her. "Geez, Louise!" was good.

When I played NT back in 2014, I remember it being a major struggle to get gil. I believe someone called it "the Poverty Simulator"? Unless I remember incorrectly, money is a lot more plentiful in this version.

Jenova VECTOR was a nice fight but I think you might have made a typo. This is during the recap after the boss:

"I don't much about Jenova. But it's clearly a monster of some kind. Sephiroth said she was an "Ancient", but with what we've seen I'm not so sure..."

I would guess it's supposed to be "I don't know much about Jenova..."

Or maybe it's just informal slang or something, I dunno. Just thought I'd ask.

But yeah, the extra dialogue and some changed scenes really adds up to something impressive. Now I can experience new story content in addition to gameplay. As much as I love FFVII, I do tend to skip most of the dialogue now and focus just on the gameplay ya know? I can't do that anymore or I might miss something funny or interesting.

xenofears

• View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: 2016-06-07 12:09:13 »
Is there a way to see what statuses are on your characters and enemies? During battle that is. Its been a while since I played FF7... given the emphasis this mod surely has on status effects, it would be a nice feature to add if it doesn't exist.  :)
« Last Edit: 2016-06-07 12:19:16 by xenofears »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: 2016-06-07 14:48:06 »
The secret of SP was pretty interesting! I won't mention it since it seems I'm not the only person here playing this for the first time. Well, this iteration.

I made sure to have Yuffie with me when we looked at the dead Zolom 'cuz I knew you would have to input new dialogue for her. "Geez, Louise!" was good.

When I played NT back in 2014, I remember it being a major struggle to get gil. I believe someone called it "the Poverty Simulator"? Unless I remember incorrectly, money is a lot more plentiful in this version.

Jenova VECTOR was a nice fight but I think you might have made a typo. This is during the recap after the boss:

"I don't much about Jenova. But it's clearly a monster of some kind. Sephiroth said she was an "Ancient", but with what we've seen I'm not so sure..."

I would guess it's supposed to be "I don't know much about Jenova..."

Or maybe it's just informal slang or something, I dunno. Just thought I'd ask.

But yeah, the extra dialogue and some changed scenes really adds up to something impressive. Now I can experience new story content in addition to gameplay. As much as I love FFVII, I do tend to skip most of the dialogue now and focus just on the gameplay ya know? I can't do that anymore or I might miss something funny or interesting.

'Geez, louise!' is actually present in the original game; it was just impossible to see because Yuffie is usually unobtainable before that point of the game. Thanks for letting me know about that missing word on the Cargo Ship too; I'll add it in.

Is there a way to see what statuses are on your characters and enemies? During battle that is. Its been a while since I played FF7... given the emphasis this mod surely has on status effects, it would be a nice feature to add if it doesn't exist.  :)

Only some statuses have a visual cue; all of them can be seen though if you select a status-healing item and then hover the cursor over a party member; a small box should appear displaying the character's name and toggling through all of the statuses they're currently under (not ideal, but it can help with the 'invisible' ones like Reflect).

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: 2016-06-07 18:26:38 »

This was translated in "Louise supeeer!" in french, which means totally nothing, thanks to the translators....

Sega, do you think the 1.5 will be the last version ? I'm thinking about translate it in french but I'm waiting for a final version.

Dahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: 2016-06-07 19:02:12 »
There aren't many; I guess Mamatolis on Corel Tracks would be one but most people go up there to get the treasure from the bird's nest anyway.
Okay then, thanks.

Another question - how much (if at all) have you changed the fort condor battles? I mean, are the prizes after each battle different than in the orignal? Do the battles happen at the same time as in the orginal or is the time frame for some of them different?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: 2016-06-07 21:57:35 »
This was translated in "Louise supeeer!" in french, which means totally nothing, thanks to the translators....

Sega, do you think the 1.5 will be the last version ? I'm thinking about translate it in french but I'm waiting for a final version.

Louise supeeer! I've heard that the european translations for the game were...special. Please form a political party of three.

A translation would be epic; but it'd be best to wait for the mod to be completely finalised. I don't know when that would be, but as it'd just be optimizations and last-call revisions to what's already in there it'll probably be done sometime this year.

Okay then, thanks.

Another question - how much (if at all) have you changed the fort condor battles? I mean, are the prizes after each battle different than in the orignal? Do the battles happen at the same time as in the orginal or is the time frame for some of them different?

The minigame itself is the same, but the prizes given are different. You also get 300gil per surviving soldier which makes the overall cost a bit cheaper.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: 2016-06-08 03:29:55 »
Another person on Steam told me that they thought reflect was a glitch/wasn't sure where it was coming from. I'm going to admit defeat and remove that mechanic from Reactor No.5 altogether ;-;

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: 2016-06-08 06:24:45 »
A translation would be epic; but it'd be best to wait for the mod to be completely finalised. I don't know when that would be, but as it'd just be optimizations and last-call revisions to what's already in there it'll probably be done sometime this year.

Well, the real problem here is the flevel. For the rest, it's just some copy/paste and translation of the new attacks of the mod. For the flevel, I think I will apply all your modifications to the french flevel, it should be easier. Is ther some files you think you won't change ? So I could begin this work.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: 2016-06-08 07:39:49 »
So in all my many runs of FFVII, both modded and vanilla, I've never, ever used Cait Sith. (shocking, I know) However I want to try something new and given how you've thoroughly made each character their own special thing, I figured now was as good a time as any to try out CS.

Only, unless I missed something, I didn't get an Innate explanation for him/it?

And hardest boss yet was just now, the Lich or whatever it was guarding Titan. Status effects beat out damage every time for making a boss challenging. Leech of the Land was quite a genius move, I must say. Frustrating but genius. Cloud was eating dirt when Cait Sith brought it home at last but who cares. He already got his 2/8 Rank Up.

Dahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: 2016-06-08 11:30:17 »
Another person on Steam told me that they thought reflect was a glitch/wasn't sure where it was coming from. I'm going to admit defeat and remove that mechanic from Reactor No.5 altogether ;-;

I kinda liked it. I mean, I had no idea where was it coming from, but I liked it in a "nice trolling" kind of way, lol. The idea is not bad, it just isn't clear enough for the player to get what is going on. Maybe simply triggering the reflect effect animation after the attack would fix the problem (if it's possible to do)?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: 2016-06-08 13:38:04 »
Well, the real problem here is the flevel. For the rest, it's just some copy/paste and translation of the new attacks of the mod. For the flevel, I think I will apply all your modifications to the french flevel, it should be easier. Is ther some files you think you won't change ? So I could begin this work.

It's unlikely that the scene or kernel will be changed from here on out, and if they are then it would be something minor like a base power change here or a flag there. One thing to watch for with translating the kernel though is the text compression; it's already at its limits as far as size goes so it'd be a good idea to save now and then, create back-ups, and quickly check for any text errors that might appear after each save.

So in all my many runs of FFVII, both modded and vanilla, I've never, ever used Cait Sith. (shocking, I know) However I want to try something new and given how you've thoroughly made each character their own special thing, I figured now was as good a time as any to try out CS.

Only, unless I missed something, I didn't get an Innate explanation for him/it?

And hardest boss yet was just now, the Lich or whatever it was guarding Titan. Status effects beat out damage every time for making a boss challenging. Leech of the Land was quite a genius move, I must say. Frustrating but genius. Cloud was eating dirt when Cait Sith brought it home at last but who cares. He already got his 2/8 Rank Up.

Cait Sith's innate is that he will randomly regenerate HP equal to his CurrentMP (or half his CurrentMP, I forget). His main thing is that he can build his Luck stat really high, which is great for tanking physical attacks by outright dodging them or for attacking to get lots of crits. He also learns Transform on Limit Level 1 which can come in handy sometimes (but is mostly for fun).

I kinda liked it. I mean, I had no idea where was it coming from, but I liked it in a "nice trolling" kind of way, lol. The idea is not bad, it just isn't clear enough for the player to get what is going on. Maybe simply triggering the reflect effect animation after the attack would fix the problem (if it's possible to do)?

I could call the attack Reflect Wave but I can't get the Reflect animation to proc when it's used, I don't think; the way the game is, I can have it read from animation indexes that are stored above but not below; so a player spell can use an enemy animation, but an enemy animation can't be set to use a player spell animation. I was thinking of just dropping Reflect from that area entirely.

xenofears

• View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: 2016-06-08 17:04:14 »
Maybe just put the status box that pops up when you use a healing item on screen all the time?

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: 2016-06-08 17:08:28 »
It's unlikely that the scene or kernel will be changed from here on out, and if they are then it would be something minor like a base power change here or a flag there. One thing to watch for with translating the kernel though is the text compression; it's already at its limits as far as size goes so it'd be a good idea to save now and then, create back-ups, and quickly check for any text errors that might appear after each save.

OK so I'll begin with the scene and the kernel. Could you advise me by PM if you change something please ?

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: 2016-06-08 19:33:33 »

I loved it and the sudden change kept the battle interesting by forcing the item mix-up. I personally don't want to see it go away and would be fine with the name change, but I know it's bound to continue to confuse people who aren't as gung-ho. How about adding dialogue like when Guard Scorpion raises its tail?

Barret: "Just great. Looks like we got hit with a reflect barrier. We did pack potions, right?"
« Last Edit: 2016-06-08 19:36:17 by Bowser9 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: 2016-06-08 20:30:50 »
Maybe just put the status box that pops up when you use a healing item on screen all the time?

It wouldn't have anywhere to go except for in front of the menu bar; the screen is already cramped.

I loved it and the sudden change kept the battle interesting by forcing the item mix-up. I personally don't want to see it go away and would be fine with the name change, but I know it's bound to continue to confuse people who aren't as gung-ho. How about adding dialogue like when Guard Scorpion raises its tail?

Barret: "Just great. Looks like we got hit with a reflect barrier. We did pack potions, right?"

I'll go with the name change for the attacks and if I still get 'glitch' reports then Reflect is getting dropped from that Reactor altogether.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: 2016-06-09 01:42:40 »
Just to toss my 2 cents in, I thought the reflect schtick was a nice touch.

I just say let people figure it out.  It's easy enough to deal with once you know what's going on, and it's not like you don't have save points pretty close to the bosses that utilize it.  Especially early game when players are still getting a feel for the mod, I think the reflect shenanigans minus hand-holding are a good way to prepare them for the horrors to come.

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: 2016-06-09 06:54:55 »
Sorry Sega but you didn't answer to my question. ^^'

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: 2016-06-09 07:02:32 »
Sorry Sega but you didn't answer to my question. ^^'

I'll PM if I make any changes to those files; it might be best to stick with just the kernel for now though. I remembered I have a lot of changes still to make for the scene.bin.

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: 2016-06-09 16:24:20 »
OK thanks, so I'll begin with the kernel and I'll be waiting for the rest. ;)

Dahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: 2016-06-09 20:11:45 »
Another question - while talking to the three lying guys at Corel Prison, some red message popped up, something about waiting for music or something like that, i don't remember (my memory sucks, lol) I assume it's some kind of hint, but I'm clueless about what it means. Is this some end game sidequest or should I try to figure out what it means right now?

mexico

• Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: 2016-06-09 21:40:13 »
I have already a problem Sega. ^^' I can't open your kernel2.bin with teioh, how do you open it ?

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: 2016-06-10 00:37:54 »
Well, the Gi boss was as annoying this time as it was last time. Luckily, I now know the power of Morph. Get Bird Wings from Morphing those...Griffons I think it was right outside Cosmo Canyon and you can take out those Heavy Lights in one turn and also do some real big damage to Kattan. I only had one though so I backtracked all the way out of tGi Cave and CC to get one more. I also only survived with one character but a win is a win and I really hate that fight. Nothing on you SC, some fights are just like that.

I just beat the new Lost Number. I honestly didn't really figure out the fight, I'm afraid. Only Barret seemed to do any real damage after he got into his second phase. Cloud only ever did 1s, Cait Sith could do okay damage with Dice, but it was really all on Barret to needle him to death with Deathblows and Limits while Cloud and Cait Sith were pretty much only on healing duty.