Author Topic: Crysis Video  (Read 4772 times)

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
Crysis Video
« on: 2006-06-19 14:38:29 »
14-minute Crysis video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3502375929069803475&q=crysis

As you can see, finding this video was a result of mad ninja skills.  It’s hardcore to type “crysis” into Google.
Unfortunately, I didn’t even manage to do that.  I got it from another forum.   :cry:

L. Spiro

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
Re: Crysis Video
« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-19 14:52:14 »
Man, the guy presenting this must be a Harvard-professor:

"You can play the game like you want to"

"You can drive a vehicle, you can go forward and backward"

"Let's go inside a more interesting area"

:-P

Looks nice though, a little bit easy as well, but that could just be the video.

Also, there's at least one scientifical error. Cars do not blow up if you shoot holes in the gastank. They tested this with Mythbusters. Hit it about 7 times with a sniperrifle, no boom at all. It's a classical Hollywood-error though.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
Reply to Crysis Video
« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-19 15:29:37 »
I love Mythbusters.
Too bad my apartment decided to remove The Discovery Channel, which was incidentally the only channel I watched.

Also too bad I didn’t see that episode.
But I have no doubts there are circumstances where it could blow, specifically if the impact creates a substantial amount of heat.
And who knows, maybe those futuristic weapons in the movie have molten cores.

I really have to worry about something though from watching this video.
From the perspective of someone who actually has to make games, all I can say is, ugh.
God, just imagine the size of the team needed and how specialized many of the programmers need to be, on top of technically exceptionally skilled.
Looks like a lot of tedious work, and no matter how much you work, it’s only a tiny spec of the whole thing.
That doesn’t even account for debugging/bug-fixing.

I don’t really like where games are headed these days.
It takes a huge team and a big budget to make a game, and it’s not even yours.
I miss the old days when one guy could sit down and have his baby, and he could create it from the ground up.
Creating a good game was a simple task that didn’t need a lot of time or money, or manpower.  On top of having pride in the fact that it was yours, it would be done fast enough to keep you interested—your work actually felt it had meaning because you could see the game growing right before your eyes.

Now?
The same guy could spend the same time, and all he would have done is make the leaves shake when hit by bullets.
Spend the same amount of time again just to fix all the bugs.

L. Spiro

Sad Jari

Re: Reply to Crysis Video
« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-19 17:07:28 »
And who knows, maybe those futuristic weapons in the movie have molten cores.
Like RPGs since '40s? :P

As for making cars explode by shooting at their fuel tanks - with whatever weapon - it takes truly special circumstances to happen.

Should that be a diesel car (concept apparently almost unknown to average American - proven by the Amazing Race :P No! Diesel car does not like gasoline! :P), it gets even harder. Russians actually use diesel tanks as armor in their AFVs; at least BMP1 & 2 have the rear doors acting as fuel tanks, and in turn the fuel acting as armor for the door.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-20 04:50:06 »
Quote from: L. Spiro
Too bad my apartment decided to remove The Discovery Channel, which was incidentally the only channel I watched.
Wow, sorry man.  The Discovery Channel and History Channel are my "go to" stations.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-06-20 17:01:28 »
In all fiarness, the guy was speaking Brazillian or something, you can't expect him to have an overly large english vocabulary realy..

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #6 on: 2006-06-21 05:53:48 »
I thought he was german

L. Spiro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-06-21 07:23:18 »
He is German but in Brazil.