Author Topic: Is MediaFire the next ?  (Read 6683 times)

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
Is MediaFire the next ?
« on: 2012-02-21 13:10:56 »
Is MediaFire the next file hoster which is closed or limited ?

Source: http://fpsbay.com/

Are we completely prepared ?
NO
« Last Edit: 2012-03-06 23:56:01 by UGerstl »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Is MediaFire the next ?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-21 14:49:43 »
Well, you're never going to be completely safe unless you host your own files. Even if a service isn't under suspicion for abetting pirates, it can still go bankrupt, lose a server, or just arbitrarily purge old content.

The internet is a brittle medium; links die all the time. The only way to be reasonably confident is to pay for your own hosting, distribute content on peer-to-peer networks, or just keep mirroring until the universe ends!
« Last Edit: 2012-02-21 16:43:57 by Bosola »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-21 16:15:57 »
Fileserve is back up and running like normal, In fact I think it's actually giving me faster speeds than before.

And TPB is now on a .se domain and running like clockwork.
« Last Edit: 2012-02-21 16:18:29 by DragonNinja »

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-21 20:59:53 »
Just a quick question, would windows live skydrive be affected by this aswell? I hope not, i back up all my personal, important files there :/
These sopa people are just taking the p***

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-21 22:25:28 »
In my country (Greece) ACTA has passed along with A LOT other SH** it's not in effect until June but I have experienced a lot of speed issues from my ISP and when the technician visited me today he told me not to DOWNLOAD MUCH... and that SOME people are loosing money. I told him whatever get me all the old series that I can't find for sale here and I won't... totally whatever. 3 kids were arrested 3 days ago with the charge that they were into the "ANONYMOUS" group responsible for the Ministry of Justice attack. For huge laughs everyone... they look pitiful with all these actions that only someone in panic does...

UGerstl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-22 17:55:39 »
SkyDrive

And another big thing is the file limit for SkyDrive upload has been raised from 100MB to 2GB . So you can now upload large files up to 2GB! So who knows in future SkyDrive may even increase its Free capacity of 25GB.

Source: Windows 8 & SkyDrive: Metro Style app, Desktop Integration, Remote File Fetching

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #6 on: 2012-02-22 21:27:35 »
SkyDrive

Source: Windows 8 & SkyDrive: Metro Style app, Desktop Integration, Remote File Fetching

Great news... my new uploads will be in Skydrive then! I'll try it  and post my opinion!

*I noticed that is MS software...Nice but I'm a little skeptical about Microsoft intentions. I am not used to supporting Microsoft software except for  windows which I have to use. Look what is MS doing with games and windows live... trying to control users all the time...pfff.
« Last Edit: 2012-03-01 18:58:59 by Leonhart7413 »

UGerstl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-02-22 23:23:34 »
If you are using SkyDrive, Google Docs, ... you should try this software:

Gladinet - Starter Edition

Works like a charm  ;)

• Gladinet - Starter Edition <= Free for Non-Commercial Use Only

• Any viruses/spyware = NO

• With this software you can use SkyDrive like a normal network connected drive.

Normally you must start the Internet Explorer, login into your SkyDrive account
    and than you can up-/download your files.

This is obsolete when you install Gladinet.

Now you can use the Windows Explorer !

You are able to copy from or towards your SkyDrive.
    You can also copy complete directory structures.
    Delete files/directories and so on.

Example:  (SkyDrive = N:)

• Copy C:\Test\Windows.dmp N:\Crash

• Gladinet starts a background task

• A little window is displayed (like the normal copy operation)
      and the file is transfered to your SkyDrive.

• :D

Edit:  Version 4.0.839 does not know about the new limit (2 GB) of SkyDrive.
         I hope they fix that problem soon.

Support request:

Support answer:
« Last Edit: 2012-03-06 23:59:45 by UGerstl »

UGerstl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-03-01 17:02:13 »
Support update:

« Last Edit: 2012-03-07 00:01:06 by UGerstl »

UGerstl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-04-05 21:12:52 »
Source :  ghacks.net

MPAA Targets 5 File Hosting Services, Backup Your Data Now

The file hosting service Megaupload has been shut down about two months ago, and while a lot of things surrounding that case have still not be resolved, the MPAA are already looking at additional targets in the file hosting world.

Cnet ran a piece yesterday on a panel discussion at the On Copyright conference where Alfred Perry, vice president for worldwide content protection at Paramount Pictures, listed five additional file hosting sites as targets for upcoming action.

The top five cyberlockers are Wupload, Depositfiles, Fileserver, Mediafire and PutLocker, according to Perry who calls them rogue cyberlockers and mentions that they generate 41 billion page views yearly. Perry apparently did not mention if those sites were already under investigation by the authorities. Mediafire co-founder responded to the comments brought forth by Perry one day later, stating that Mediafire was no rogue website, and not run by criminals.

As with Megaupload, it is likely that users of the services won’t receive advanced notification if the domains, servers and assets are seized by authorities. It is therefor recommended to create backup of files that are hosted at these file hosters, and others if you want to be 100% certain that you do not lose any files in raids. Especially so since no distinction is being made between perfectly legal files hosted on those sites, and files without proper rights that were uploaded for sharing.

Mirroring the files could be a solution especially if you do not have enough local storage space available to backup the data properly. It would on the other hand mean that you continue to rely 100% on online file hosting solutions, which could still be an issue if all selected file hosts are taken down at the same time.

Another solution would be to use services like Dropbox, Microsoft SkyDrive, or the soon to be released Google Drive as a safe backup location.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-04-05 23:39:47 »
I already responded to this in PM since I didn't realize at the time that you'd also posted this on the forums, but let me reiterate some of those same points a bit more publicly:

1. MegaUpload was not simply taken down for having some copyright-infringing files hosted. They were found to have been involved in a number of illegal activities, including UPLOADING ILLEGAL FILES THEMSELVES, and INCENTIVIZING ILLEGAL USAGE. MediaFire has done no such thing.

2. MediaFire's 200MB filesize limit makes it particularly poor for hosting movies, lossless album rips, most games, and many other things. People who want to upload Rango, Titanic, or Mission: Impossible are typically going to choose other, more suited sites. In fact, I really don't understand why Paramount cares about MediaFire at all, since the majority of illegal content there seems to be WiiWare games, as far as I can tell.

3. MediaFire has historically been very good and very fast about removing illegal content when informed of its presence. It would be unfeasible to check every single file on the site, and unreasonable to expect them to. They are handling the situation exactly as the DMCA requires them to (YouTube is using the same argument in a lawsuit from Viacom).

4. I can't speak for everyone else here, but personally I have all of my own projects backed up, both online and offline. Additionally, I have my own paid hosting, so even if MediaFire were to get shut down, anything I haven't migrated from there yet could easily be uploaded to my own site. I've nothing to worry about, myself.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-06 00:27:00 by Covarr »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2012-04-06 20:12:20 »
UGerstl, I noticed that you cross-posted the above to the moderation team.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you want me to do. Many of the works on this forum aren't public domain, and aren't available for redistribution by anyone except their authors. Aali's driver and NFITC1's tools, as just two examples (not singling them out; just two high-profile instances). Being a moderator doesn't give me any more right to start hosting them on my own web server than anyone else.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-04-06 20:19:08 »
UGerstl, you are buying into hype.  The same hype that told you that you would die of bird flu, swine flu, hole in ozone layer and millennium bug making planes fall out of the sky.

Everyone I know is not stupid enough to trust any server with their data, they have it on multiple backup media (discs, HDD, USB pens).  This issue is not an issue.  As covarr said before, megaupload is a different situation but it is anything to have a pop at the evil US these days (which I suspect is the real reason for the hype that has surrounded this).

In any case, I don't use any of those for uploading.  I found them shoddy and useless.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-06 20:21:45 by DLPB »

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-04-07 00:38:00 »
They might be fairly good at cleaning up, but there are still hundreds and thousands of movies and games going up on there slipping through the cracks.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-04-07 04:35:50 »
They might be fairly good at cleaning up, but there are still hundreds and thousands of movies and games going up on there slipping through the cracks.
Maybe so, but they're generally doing a good enough job to satisfy DMCA requirements.

For all the negative attention it gets, the DMCA is actually written fairly reasonably. It specifically aims NOT to incriminate those who actively attempt to comply.