Author Topic: Potential Plugin?  (Read 4958 times)

stevenw9

• View Profile
Potential Plugin?
« on: 2007-06-29 12:33:46 »
I had an idea recently while thinking about Q-Gears. Now, technicly if  I remember correctly, this is an emulation of the original emulation and without using any original work this makes it legal. With that being said... I wonder about the legalities of a seperate yet pluginable program that could utilize the FF7:AC soundtrack. Now I know there's some programs that toy with this already, but I haven't found one that does it easily. If i'm correct, making a backup of a soundtrack and utilizing it for personal use is completely legal. Now that being said, if the program also relied on the disc that should also add credibility to the program and would be a nice boost to what Q-Gears can do.

No, I am not asking the Q-Gears staff to do a thing. Rather i'm asking what the thoughts would be if another took up doing this said program once Q-Gears hits some stable beta releases. (I know this is extremely far off, and i'm -still- trying to learn the programming languages behind it to help. *9,000 years later*)

Thoughts?

Synergy Blades

Re: Potential Plugin?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-06-29 13:09:47 »
I think this goes along with the "can we have custom battle scenes in Q-Gears" and the like (though clearly this isn't as technical or far-reaching as those ideas). As far as I'm aware the idea at the moment is just to get the game running as it normally does, and from there see what can be done, technically and/or legally.

nope

• nope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-06-29 20:53:35 »
I think a plugin system was mentioned once, but I'm not sure if it's in the future plans to include that.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-01 23:59:02 »
I had an idea recently while thinking about Q-Gears. Now, technicly if  I remember correctly, this is an emulation of the original emulation and without using any original work this makes it legal. With that being said...
Actually it's an Engine that runs the original content.  See eduke3d scummvm etc.
I wonder about the legalities of a seperate yet pluginable program that could utilize the FF7:AC soundtrack.
For what? I'm not sure where you are going with this.  As long as you follow these rules: do not modify the original content, do not distribute the original content, and do not make new content of trade marked or copyrighted material. You are OK.  For personal use you can make your own content, of trademarked or copyrighted material, but not for distribution free or otherwise.
Now I know there's some programs that toy with this already, but I haven't found one that does it easily. If i'm correct, making a backup of a soundtrack and utilizing it for personal use is completely legal. Now that being said, if the program also relied on the disc that should also add credibility to the program and would be a nice boost to what Q-Gears can do.
Relied on what disc? you mean the Advent Children DVD? That's questionable, perhaps as a seperate from Q-gears program that might be OK.  IE "Extract Track data from DVD for audio tracks as MP3" utility and have a 'plugin' that substitutes the music or sound for in game sounds etc.  AKAO stuff I suspect is where to 'link in'. 

No, I am not asking the Q-Gears staff to do a thing. Rather i'm asking what the thoughts would be if another took up doing this said program once Q-Gears hits some stable beta releases. (I know this is extremely far off, and i'm -still- trying to learn the programming languages behind it to help. *9,000 years later*)

Thoughts?
Anything is possible, however Q-gears is far from beta.  Beta means eminent 1.0, and right now we are upcoming at 0.14. Sound is not implemented (last I checked at least), so this is no where near.  As for programing, I suggest you start with small programs and look at gamedev.net for tutorials related too sound et al.

The problem with a plugin however is quite simple, there has to be something the plugin fits into.  IE a socket within Q-gears to use said plugin.  As far as I know there has been no discussion of plugin usage save PS1 CD-ROM plugins for extracting data from PS1 disks and using it to install the data into the PC.  Plugin's in general require a LOT of thinking.  Since I've made a few if you ask I can give you examples.

Cyb