Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4825461 times)

Demontom

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #6400 on: 2017-12-02 07:06:10 »
Well, that was a thing.  I just started playing this mod, brand new save, and I got completely and utterly steamrolled by a super powered Guard Scorpion in the first reactor.  As a random encounter that I couldn't run from and my party was getting smacked for thousands of damage.  Did I do something wrong?

Edit: I found the problem, it seems to be an odd conflict when used with the Jessie mod that puts her in your party for the initial bombing mission.  Disabling that mod made it so I didn't encounter the superscorp, whereas previously it was my first encounter after going downstairs after the elevator.
« Last Edit: 2017-12-02 18:47:31 by Demontom »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: 2017-12-03 01:55:18 »
Hello.I'm new here.I saw this splending mod lately on youtube and decided to give it a go.

Its surprising how the game can be changed and how this mod works so nicely.I'll be looking forward for more updates of this :p

Hope it goes well, let me know if you encounter problems.

Well, that was a thing.  I just started playing this mod, brand new save, and I got completely and utterly steamrolled by a super powered Guard Scorpion in the first reactor.  As a random encounter that I couldn't run from and my party was getting smacked for thousands of damage.  Did I do something wrong?

Edit: I found the problem, it seems to be an odd conflict when used with the Jessie mod that puts her in your party for the initial bombing mission.  Disabling that mod made it so I didn't encounter the superscorp, whereas previously it was my first encounter after going downstairs after the elevator.

Yeah, there's two files in FF7 called the scene.bin (where enemies and formations are stored) and the kernel.bin through which other information goes. If these two files fall 'out of synch' then wrong encounters start to load which can cause crashes, etc. It typically happens when incompatible mods are combined, the Jessie mod likely has its own kernel or something which means the scene.bin from NT is desynched from it.

Tifa

• View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: 2017-12-04 01:48:45 »
Going well so far.Anyway.I just arrived to cosmo canyon and Cloud is bugged up in the bughenagen observatory scene like,i can see Cloud foots on the screen like giant sized on the ground.Others characters are there normally but Cloud is not there.Just his foots lol.

https://imgur.com/a/9sD0m

The 2 rectangles are basically Cloud foots,noticed since i can actually move him.Anyway.Is there going to be a 1.6 sooner or later?Also,the new threat mod tutorials halls say the max lv is 70 and that hp up materias and such are not there but i did saw someone with 9999 hp playing this mod on youtube.Is it something that needs a checkup or that someone modified the save?Just curious.
« Last Edit: 2017-12-04 02:13:44 by Tifa »

MoCheese

• View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: 2017-12-04 17:02:44 »
So it's been a while since I posted anything on here, mostly because I had finished up with the mod a while back and had nothing else to contribute. Not sure this is a contribution either, but hey, why not. I asked Sega a while back if I could make a video showcasing all the silly nonsense, humour, and/or bugs and glitches that I encountered during my playthroughs in versions 1.4 and 1.5 that I thought were funny. He said OK. So here it is, 45 minutes of just pure goofy clips and funny stuff that's littered throughout the mod. Great stuff as always to Sega and any and all who contributed bugs and/or suggestions to this experience. You da best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyF1-ke37eQ

debaser

• View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: 2017-12-04 22:08:45 »
I love this mod! Thanks so much for the time and effort which went into it, it has breathed new life into what was a stale game for me. The level of challenge is perfect.

I am currently stuck at Tseng and it's getting to a point where I'm considering cheating. I've had at least 30 attempts on him with no luck, and I can't go back now.

I've got my earth elemental in everyone's armor, a ribbon on one person, and an accessory which nullifies silence on another person. Even with my HP at full and barrier up, there is nothing I can do to stop him using either his limit break twice in a row, or Turk Break followed immediately by his limit. Either one is an instant game over with no possible defense.

Am I doing something wrong? Does he have weaknesses I don't know about? I always open the battle with dispel-all and then bad breath, so his minions are no problem, but Tseng himself is just unbeatable.

Thanks again for a great mod!

P.S. - In a future version, if possible, you should consider adding an option to rename Red XIII to "Nanaki" when you find out that's his real name. Playing through FF7 again, it is extremely apparent that there is no obvious reason for him to ask to be called Red XIII in the first place, and that even if there is a reason, it is void after the events of Cosmo Canyon anyway.

Update: I have since beaten Tseng. It took at *least* 50 attempts. In the end, I won because he used his normal attack rather than spamming break, stop or his limit. Pure luck!
« Last Edit: 2017-12-05 00:23:49 by debaser »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6405 on: 2017-12-05 01:24:37 »
Going well so far.Anyway.I just arrived to cosmo canyon and Cloud is bugged up in the bughenagen observatory scene like,i can see Cloud foots on the screen like giant sized on the ground.Others characters are there normally but Cloud is not there.Just his foots lol.

https://imgur.com/a/9sD0m

The 2 rectangles are basically Cloud foots,noticed since i can actually move him.Anyway.Is there going to be a 1.6 sooner or later?Also,the new threat mod tutorials halls say the max lv is 70 and that hp up materias and such are not there but i did saw someone with 9999 hp playing this mod on youtube.Is it something that needs a checkup or that someone modified the save?Just curious.

That can happen on certain fields for the PC version; during loading, Cloud's model is set to the maximum size which inverts it.

The Beginner's Hall text is out of date; there is no level cap in the mod anymore.

So it's been a while since I posted anything on here, mostly because I had finished up with the mod a while back and had nothing else to contribute. Not sure this is a contribution either, but hey, why not. I asked Sega a while back if I could make a video showcasing all the silly nonsense, humour, and/or bugs and glitches that I encountered during my playthroughs in versions 1.4 and 1.5 that I thought were funny. He said OK. So here it is, 45 minutes of just pure goofy clips and funny stuff that's littered throughout the mod. Great stuff as always to Sega and any and all who contributed bugs and/or suggestions to this experience. You da best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyF1-ke37eQ

That reminds me, I still need to finish the 'party members appear in all towns' thing. It was good seeing some of the gags in the mod, I forgot about half of them. I remember having a lot of fun designing/writing some of those, been a long time since I worked on anything fun for NT; it's always bug fixes and rebalancing these days :c

I love this mod! Thanks so much for the time and effort which went into it, it has breathed new life into what was a stale game for me. The level of challenge is perfect.

I am currently stuck at Tseng and it's getting to a point where I'm considering cheating. I've had at least 30 attempts on him with no luck, and I can't go back now.

I've got my earth elemental in everyone's armor, a ribbon on one person, and an accessory which nullifies silence on another person. Even with my HP at full and barrier up, there is nothing I can do to stop him using either his limit break twice in a row, or Turk Break followed immediately by his limit. Either one is an instant game over with no possible defense.

Am I doing something wrong? Does he have weaknesses I don't know about? I always open the battle with dispel-all and then bad breath, so his minions are no problem, but Tseng himself is just unbeatable.

Thanks again for a great mod!

P.S. - In a future version, if possible, you should consider adding an option to rename Red XIII to "Nanaki" when you find out that's his real name. Playing through FF7 again, it is extremely apparent that there is no obvious reason for him to ask to be called Red XIII in the first place, and that even if there is a reason, it is void after the events of Cosmo Canyon anyway.

Update: I have since beaten Tseng. It took at *least* 50 attempts. In the end, I won because he used his normal attack rather than spamming break, stop or his limit. Pure luck!

This sounds odd; Tseng's AI is fixed and his Limit should only appear when he hits 50% HP (and only be used once):

Start) Turk Haste
1) Attack
2) Stop
3) Quickdraw
4) Turk Comet
5) Attack
6) Quickdraw
7) Break

I've just seen the problem is below Break; it resets the variable used for the Limit Break's execution meaning that there is a scenario where he could drop below 50% HP and use, then use Break + have the var reset, then use the Limit again right after. I'll remove the variable reset so the Limit only executes once per fight and only when he is on a 'quiet' part of his AI cycle. Sorry for the frustration, this was an oversight in the design.

As for Nanaki, I could add an option. The field script has an opcode to change party member names so I'll add a dialogue choice there at the end of Cosmo Canyon's scenes to change his name to Nanaki (when you're about to leave for Nibelheim).

Tifa

• View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: 2017-12-05 08:20:17 »
Sega Chief im going to be streaming FF7 NT Mod.If you want to follow i stream on my youtube channel wich is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR5V_JS6uxX0ufXOyshoupw

Since im going to stream i am going to restart the game even if i had arrived to cosmo canyon already :3

SlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: 2017-12-05 14:04:24 »
I registered to the forum and came here to say thanks for the mod. That is quite an insane amount of work you put in there.
I ran into ..."balance issues" and I am not sure if it's me or the mod and wanted to share or ask for tips.

-The entirety of Disc 1 is pretty good and I have nothing bad to say; everything in it is amazing.

-Most of Disc 2 was okay but my problems started the moment I was returning to Midgar for the Mako Canon. Every monsters starts hitting like a truck and the boss fights are taking so long. Valiant Clod was the first boss that took so long, but somehow Hojo felt okay.

Anyway, it was like this for the last stretch of the game until the credits (so the North Crater, Limit Break side quests and optional boss fights). With combat being hard, I was stuck putting everyone in the Back Row and use Tranquilizers+Wall, it was the only viable strategy for me to survive and that is even when I set up my Materias before the fights.

With everyone in the Back Row, nobody was doing damage. I ended up giving up the Attack command and simply put Quadra Magic on all my 3 guys and only used magic, except Barret since he's long range his normal attacks can still be decent with loads of counter attacks in the back row.

-I felt like the Side Quests for Limit Breaks were a waste of time, for a lack of a better term. 1) It takes so long to fill the meter, and obviously even worst on Sadness, which I needed to live in the end game 2) Their damage gets halved because I am in the Back Row, again for survivability. If someone dies only once, the Limit bar resets. With this setup I could be stuck on boss fights for 25-30 minutes and have triggered only two limit breaks sometimes one.

I can setup my Materias and my gear before fights If I know the elements but in most cases it only helped me surviving better, not speeding up the fights. My normal attacks never got past the 600-700.

Is this all intended or I suck at the game? I ran into no problems for the first 3/4 of the game. I also looked at youtube videos with people playing 1.4 and it's so different. They're doing 6k-7k damage and they have tons of HP.

That's all I can think of for now. I didn't read any of the replies in this thread yet but I'll start reading the last ones and go backward, see if anyone else had issues similar to me.
« Last Edit: 2017-12-05 15:01:48 by SlumDrunk »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: 2017-12-05 15:16:06 »
Sega Chief im going to be streaming FF7 NT Mod.If you want to follow i stream on my youtube channel wich is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR5V_JS6uxX0ufXOyshoupw

Since im going to stream i am going to restart the game even if i had arrived to cosmo canyon already :3

Okay doke, I'll check it out.

I registered to the forum and came here to say thanks for the mod. That is quite an insane amount of work you put in there.
I ran into ..."balance issues" and I am not sure if it's me or the mod and wanted to share or ask for tips.

-The entirety of Disc 1 is pretty good and I have nothing bad to say; everything in it is amazing.

-Most of Disc 2 was okay but my problems started the moment I was returning to Midgar for the Mako Canon. Every monsters starts hitting like a truck and the boss fights are taking so long. Valiant Clod was the first boss that took so long, but somehow Hojo felt okay.

Anyway, it was like this for the last stretch of the game until the credits (so the North Crater, Limit Break side quests and optional boss fights). With combat being hard, I was stuck putting everyone in the Back Row and use Tranquilizers+Wall, it was the only viable strategy for me to survive and that is even when I set up my Materias before the fights.

With everyone in the Back Row, nobody was doing damage. I ended up giving up the Attack command and simply put Quadra Magic on all my 3 guys and only used magic, except Barret since he's long range his normal attacks can still be decent with loads of counter attacks in the back row.

-I felt like the Side Quests for Limit Breaks were a waste of time, for a lack of a better term. 1) It takes so long to fill the meter, and obviously even worst on Sadness, which I needed to live in the end game 2) Their damage gets halved because I am in the Back Row, again for survivability. If someone dies only once, the Limit bar resets. With this setup I could be stuck on boss fights for 25-30 minutes and have triggered only two limit breaks sometimes one.

I can setup my Materias and my gear before fights If I know the elements but in most cases it only helped me surviving better, not speeding up the fights. My normal attacks never got past the 600-700.

Is this all intended or I suck at the game? I ran into no problems for the first 3/4 of the game. I also looked at youtube videos with people playing 1.4 and it's so different. They're doing 6k-7k damage and they have tons of HP.

That's all I can think of for now. I didn't read any of the replies in this thread yet but I'll start reading the last ones and go backward, see if anyone else had issues similar to me.

One thing that's concerning here is that you mention Limits aren't doing full damage from the back-row; NT doesn't have .exe modifications so the default Limits should be in place, which ignore Row. Are you playing with any other mods installed? On the 7H Iro version, people sometimes combine it with Menu Overhaul, etc. which activates an .exe that changes things around, resulting in a harder game overall.

SlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: 2017-12-05 16:01:31 »
One thing that's concerning here is that you mention Limits aren't doing full damage from the back-row; NT doesn't have .exe modifications so the default Limits should be in place, which ignore Row. Are you playing with any other mods installed? On the 7H Iro version, people sometimes combine it with Menu Overhaul, etc. which activates an .exe that changes things around, resulting in a harder game overall.

I have no other mods.
Then I may have to check again but when I used them they felt underwhelming. Since I roll with tranquilizers I don't get to use them so much.

debaser

• View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: 2017-12-05 17:36:57 »
This sounds odd; Tseng's AI is fixed and his Limit should only appear when he hits 50% HP (and only be used once):

Start) Turk Haste
1) Attack
2) Stop
3) Quickdraw
4) Turk Comet
5) Attack
6) Quickdraw
7) Break

I've just seen the problem is below Break; it resets the variable used for the Limit Break's execution meaning that there is a scenario where he could drop below 50% HP and use, then use Break + have the var reset, then use the Limit again right after. I'll remove the variable reset so the Limit only executes once per fight and only when he is on a 'quiet' part of his AI cycle. Sorry for the frustration, this was an oversight in the design.

As for Nanaki, I could add an option. The field script has an opcode to change party member names so I'll add a dialogue choice there at the end of Cosmo Canyon's scenes to change his name to Nanaki (when you're about to leave for Nibelheim).

That's perfect - thanks very much for this, and thanks again for making such a great mod. I could write an essay about all the ways it improves on the base design of the game, and I'll be heading straight from this version into an arranged playthrough for sure. :)

Actually, whilst I'm here, does this mod conflict with the Reunion mod? I was trying to find answers to this, but some threads claim it does whilst others claim it doesn't. As a result, I played it safe and went with NT only.

I'd really like to see Reunion's new translation, but I really don't want to go back to the base game after seeing NT's changes.
« Last Edit: 2017-12-05 17:39:15 by debaser »

Tifa

• View Profile

Tifa

• View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: 2017-12-05 23:43:15 »
If someone want to follow me i am streaming again

https://gaming.youtube.com/c/TifaLockhart/live

Eliscia

• View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: 2017-12-06 00:42:50 »
Hi Segachief,

I love your work on the mod and it gave the game a second life for me so I'm super appreciative. Was just wondering if there's a list of possible morph's/steals anywhere for 1.5? I'm playing through again after doing 1.4 and honestly can't be bothered stealing/morphing EVERYTHING all over again. (And it'd just be nice to have access to)

Thanks for all your hard work and good luck sussing out the ff8 mod! (making that thing balanced will honestly be hell)

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: 2017-12-07 02:51:51 »
Im playing the newest IRO version on Arrange and my characters do not have updated limit breaks like the read-me says, they function identical to vanilla. Vincent is also bugged, his inate ablity takes about 5-6 turns longer than clouds "second-wind" to trigger and it only restores HP where as the read me says he restores MP frequently.

Tifa

• View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: 2017-12-07 03:37:45 »
Sega Chief this mod is so fun xD.

And there are some surprising bosses.I got surprised by the Gi Tribe boss in cosmo canyon.Man i never would expected him to inflict petrify and forced me for the first gameover since i didnt had enough softs to heal petrify count down.It was a surprise tough.Those are the good things i expect from a boss i dont know.Cant always win :)

SlumDrunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: 2017-12-07 04:49:35 »
Spent 1 hour and a half for ONE single round against the ruby weapon and decided to just stop. That's ridiculous.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: 2017-12-07 08:06:32 »
Hi Segachief,

I love your work on the mod and it gave the game a second life for me so I'm super appreciative. Was just wondering if there's a list of possible morph's/steals anywhere for 1.5? I'm playing through again after doing 1.4 and honestly can't be bothered stealing/morphing EVERYTHING all over again. (And it'd just be nice to have access to)

Thanks for all your hard work and good luck sussing out the ff8 mod! (making that thing balanced will honestly be hell)

The main download has a documentation folder that contains a spreadsheet of the steal/morphs; it's not 100% accurate though as there were a lot of last-minute changes.

Im playing the newest IRO version on Arrange and my characters do not have updated limit breaks like the read-me says, they function identical to vanilla. Vincent is also bugged, his inate ablity takes about 5-6 turns longer than clouds "second-wind" to trigger and it only restores HP where as the read me says he restores MP frequently.

The Limits weren't changed in the end, as this requires an executable to be included with the mod which would clash with other mods like MO and Reunion. Vincent's innate was also swapped with Cait Sith's; the former now has the HP restore based on current MP (so that his MP is still serving a purpose during Limit transformations) and Cait got the MP regen.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: 2017-12-07 17:49:42 »
That won't be the case with R06 since it comes with built in hext functions, as part of my new DLL, that will change memory on load.  You'll be able to add them to plain text file instructions.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: 2017-12-07 19:30:03 »
That won't be the case with R06 since it comes with built in hext functions, as part of my new DLL, that will change memory on load.  You'll be able to add them to plain text file instructions.

That reminds me, I tried to download hext tools recently but it's giving me an error saying that the 'file is infected with a virus and that only the owner is able to download it'; was using the link here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13574.0

Any chance of a fresh upload/link? I was wanting to use them for the FF8 mod I'm making.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6420 on: 2017-12-07 22:20:23 »
God im tired of Google deciding to block files like that. Is anyone else having that issue?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: 2017-12-07 22:59:20 »
I just tried, and they downloaded just fine. I wonder what's different between us.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: 2017-12-08 03:20:00 »
Got it now, maybe it was just a blip or DLPB fixed it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: 2017-12-08 09:44:55 »
Nah didn't touch it. 😀

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: 2017-12-08 22:54:22 »
Edit. never mind, somehow cait switched from back row to front row, most likely my controllers malfunctioning again.
« Last Edit: 2017-12-08 22:56:16 by UpRisen »