Author Topic: No FFXPC (maybe) ....  (Read 49729 times)

vvalentine

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #100 on: 2002-01-11 08:37:00 »
I am male.  
Yes, Joey, I live with a woman, but she is like a sister to me.  Although, I did see her naked once, heh heh.

-vvalentine

Joey

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #101 on: 2002-01-11 08:40:00 »
Wow!!! Isn't that cool!!! What are your friend's/family's reactions???

Uh oh. I'm getting off-topic. Better stop doing that before it blows off the top of someone.

Other than spam mail and petitions, let's try to concentrate on how to get Square to release it for PC.
[edited] 39 2002-01-11 10:07

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #102 on: 2002-01-11 09:22:00 »
Hmm... Personal option: cHiBiMaRuKo = Pesimist.

Do you know how many people bought 3D acclerators for FF7 or even Half-life? Too many.

As for the memory cards, I was saying that so people would remember to add it into their money calculations.

Actually, I HAVE played a lot of PS2 games. And you know what? The only 3 games I even consider GOOD (besides FFX) is Metal Gear Solid 2, Onimusha, Zone of Enders, and Devil May Cry. (Respectivly.) Each as a different style to them, and all of them have appealing storylines. (so far FFX is blowing them out of the water, both in graphics & in story, but MGS2 is REALLY close...)

VV is also totally right. I have about 12 computers in my house, but I only have two. (The one I'm posting with and a 200mHz system used for old DOS games, and when I get a bigger HD, FF7.) My system is in seperate need of upgrading (Celeron 300A OC to 450) but I currenly can't afford it. However, if Squaresoft annouced the non-doluted release of FFX PC, I would spend every nickel I could spare to get my system to at least the minimum required specs in preperation. My system, live VV's and Fice's and almost everyone else's systems, is super-multifunctional. I play games, do writing, work on programming (need to get back to that...), and develop 3D graphics, all on the same system.

As much as I would LOVE to buy a PS2 and FFX, I know I must upgrade my computer first, because it would allow me to do so much more than a PS2 would.

And AFAICT... almost everyone here but you, cHiBiMaRuKo, agrees with me.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #103 on: 2002-01-11 11:47:00 »
Well, for starters. I'm 23 now and a graduate of Computer Engineering from UPM (anyone from Malaysia knows this uni). And I have a decent paying job with IBM, and I hope that info is good enough. And for now I live alone. Where? I think we need not to go there...

And I am not a SquareSoft employee whatsoever.

My computer (at home) is decently good enough; 900Mhz Duron, 512MB SDRAM , GeForce2 GTS, Aureal MX300, 40GB HDD and a Sony 16x DVD-ROM drive, with Win2k OS. I use them for a few things, such as typing reports, preparing presentation, and playing Serious Sam (the only PC game I play for now) online. And I have TMNet Streamyx too, which provide DSL service. When I'm not at work, I play console games (PS2 come to mind) because PC still don't have games worth playing (it may change though when Serious Sam: The Second Encounter get to my fave dealers).

Sephiroth says that alot of people buys 3D accelerators for Half-Life and FF7. How many people? 1 million? 2? These 2 numbers are NOT enough in the eyes of companies! And even that Croteam (Serious Sam developer) recommended GF3 as the best card for The Second Encounter, I will not buy one because I know my GF2 can still serve me well. And from this people, how many will actually buy FFX PC when they comes out.? Not very many people don't you think? Why Square should do FFX if R.O.I will be not good. FFVII and FFVIII sells well, but the R.O.I. is not good enough. If they do have good R.O.I. from these 2 titles, we will already have FFIX PC and also that we will also hear persistent rumors of FFX PC. Just because they have released FFVII and FFVIII for the PC, it doesn't mean that SquareSoft SHOULD release future titles for PC too. The demand is there, but they are not good enough for profits. And a lot of people simply missed this fact.

And no one knows whether the majority of FF players are college students or not, unless of course you can quote a reliable source. Just because your college have lots of FF fans, it doesn't mean that the whole world have the same scenario.

Sephiroth say again that FFX is one of the best games in PS2. I agree, but try to compare them with other earlier FF games, and not with other games from other genres. FFX, for me is just between FFIX and FFVIII in terms of overall quality. Still, FFX is the best RPG for PS2 though, for the time being.

Everyone may not agree with me, but I know SquareSoft and Sony are on my side   :D They don't have any reason at all for releasing FFX PC; not profitable and technicaly more difficult to do as they have to cater to a vast array of computer configurations. All of you must have remember the GeForce problem with FFVIII and Riva TNT problem with FFVII. If anyone instead wanted to do a petition so FFX will be ported to GameCube or X-Box, I will support that and I will sign it (even that I don't have them). But not PC, because it's proven that doing that will not do anything good for Square anyway. The PC-only users may be pissed off with SquareSoft's actions, but SquareSoft knows that they don't have to worry about these people makiing a dent to ther profits as PS2 userbase is good enough for them. If you don't want to buy a console for whatever reason, that's OK,  but don't come crying to Square asking them to do a PC port because it's not nice.

R.O.I. = Returns of Investment.

Anonymous

No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #104 on: 2002-01-11 12:49:00 »
I agree with you that Serious Sam rox!
Isnt SE out today (11th)?
I shall be buying it when i get my computer up and running again.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #105 on: 2002-01-11 16:44:00 »

But not PC, because it's proven that doing that will not do anything good for Square anyway. The PC-only users may be pissed off with SquareSoft's actions, but SquareSoft knows that they don't have to worry about these people makiing a dent to ther profits as PS2 userbase is good enough for them. If you don't want to buy a console for whatever reason, that's OK, but don't come crying to Square asking them to do a PC port because it's not nice.

It's proven that's not good? If you're going to say things like that and demand provable studies from other people, you should supply them too.
A port to another system is not anywhere near as expensive as doing a full game. You don't have art, music, storyline ... in fact, all you have to do is pay programmers to write an engine. And the PC is the cheapest platform of all to port to, simply because there's so much stuff you *don't* have to worry about. I seriously, seriously doubt Square would make a loss on a PC port - personally, I think they're holding off on one for the moment because Sony wants the PS2 to succeed. Also because they can make more money from console games, because for some reason console games cost more. (Actually, I believe the reason is "we can rip off console gamers without them complaining too much").

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #106 on: 2002-01-11 19:34:00 »
(Since this is my first post in this topic, I've gotta reply to some older posts, too)

vvalentine: It's fine to hear (or read) that you live with someone female ... but IMO, you should have kept that "I did see her naked once"-thingy private ... you should have known what Joey would say to that ... (he just saw a female body on those 'bits and bytes'-pics :D )
(Ok, I'm gettin' REALLYoff-topic now, but...)
Hey, if I were you, I think I would have started something more than just taking once a look at her (not what you're thinkin' of, Joey) ... I just mean ... ah forget 'bout it ...

Joey: Whohoo ! I wonder you recognized that you're gettin' off-topic

Since I haven't been able to read all the topics, I just give my comment here:

As for me, I just HOPE that Square will release FFX PC - I know that the chances probably aren't too big, but ... there's just a bit hope in my heart. Of course, Square primairly wants to sell their games for PS2, but if it would be too expensive, they wouldn't have released FF8 PC, or am I wrong?

And I don't wanna buy myself a PS2, just b'cause of FFX and following FF games ... Why? Well:
It's expensive - ok not as expesnive as a PC, but the real only thing you can do with a PS2 is playing - DVD playing qualities aren't very good with PS2.
And I, as a student, don't have enough money to buy it. And I think many of other ppl don't have, too ...

- Alhexx

vvalentine

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #107 on: 2002-01-11 21:20:00 »
Whoa!!!  What a discussion.  Chibimaruko, you are good contender.  I like these kinds of discussions.

Alhexx:  I said that to Joey to see what he was going to say.

Joey:  She is like a friend of the family, and like a sister to me.

Chibi:  So you are older than me, and graduated from University.  You have a decent paying job.  If I was in your situation I would buy a Playstation 2, but I'm not.  As for the thing about college students being FF fans, I told you it was an assumption.  Although there are huge number of college students who play FF.  
FFIX was not released in the PC because it didn't do too well on Playstation.  FFX is doing great, so far I have not seen a store that has FFX right now (sold out).  
Porting a game to the PC, like fice said, shouldn't be too difficult.  A group of Squaresoft programmers ported FFVII to the PC.  After that, since it went well, they decided to do FFVIII.  An emulator is not so big in size, it is complex, but not big.  If an emulator can be done, porting FFX to PC should not be hard.

-vvalentine

Joey

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #108 on: 2002-01-12 05:23:00 »
Chibimaruko: You're really smart. I'm in 4IT now. Will that lead me to your path? Are you a girl?

vvalentine: I'm matured enough to know those. Don't hold back!!!  :)

FFX on PC issue: Square might release a version of FFX which is not taxing. FF8 was too taxing, and Square received lots of complaints, which is why it didin't dare to release FF9 to PC. Let's hope that Square will take this gamble and release FFX for PC.

Joey

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #109 on: 2002-01-12 05:27:00 »
Um, Joey, thanks for sharing your account with me. For starters, FFX isn't compatible even with Pentium 4 2GhZ because it is farrr too taxing. Even our server couldn't debug it properly. Maybe it won't be released, but I'll try to level down the code to what your Celeron will handle.

Bye.

~ Nathan

ficedula

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #110 on: 2002-01-12 10:28:00 »
Oh my GOD, here we go again...

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #111 on: 2002-01-12 11:49:00 »
Hey, 2 users sharing 1 account? I that's just another reason why Joey isn't a mod, right? :D

- Alhexx

MMiller8

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #112 on: 2002-01-12 15:16:00 »
Maybe i'm a little slow on the uptake, but where the 'title according to your number of posts' should be, Joey has the word 'Moron'.  Nice touch, somebody.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #113 on: 2002-01-12 15:19:00 »
I would prefer if Qhimm decrees Joey to be known as "Village Idiot" from now on   :P
[edited] 1 2002-01-12 17:42

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #114 on: 2002-01-12 16:03:00 »

It's proven that's not good? If you're going to say things like that and demand provable studies from other people, you should supply them too.

I read about the R.O.I. thing some time ago at FF Impulse http://www.ffimpulse.com/. I don't know whether they quote from a reliable source, but  it seems to be logical. Someone (vvalentine) says that FFIX PC aren't ported to PC because it doesn't sell too well. But didn't FFonline had made a report that FFIX is the best selling FF ever for PSX? More than 2 million copies in Japan alone. So why they didn't port to PC? What else if not because of the R.O.I. thing? Which company don't want profits? SquareSoft will make a port to PC if they are profitable. If not, they will not do that. And come to think about that, if FFIX does really don't sell well AND porting to PC is that cheap anyway, they will already makes FFIX PC to cover the losses they have with PSX version. Yes, it's not that hard to port to PC IF everyone is using software rendering! Hah! Software rendering with FFX? Don't really want to think about it. Porting to PC, while maintaing the quality the PS2 version have is hard (I comes from programming background too), because mainly of the different graphic cards, soundcards etc. I knows that everyone here know that Radeon, GeForce and Kyro and SiS do the same things in different ways. So are with Live!, Audigy, Vortex and the Turtle Beach audio chipset.This mean making a common engine without sacrificing quality is impossible.

To the anonymous bug victim: Find me online in Serious Sam multiplayer servers for the player with the nick "The Deathbringer". Second Encounter will be my upmost priority this month, and with 20 US dollars, I will definitely buy it. The demo is fun :)

Remind me anything if I forget to address anything.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #115 on: 2002-01-12 16:08:00 »
well, joey. moron is somewhat close to mod. Maybe if you hit your head enough youll think your a mod. :D

ficedula

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #116 on: 2002-01-12 16:37:00 »
They all work in different ways? Well, that's strange; obviously when Quake3 works with any OpenGL card, it's just my imagination. That's what OpenGL and DirectX are for: all the cards conform to their specs, so you don't have to worry about many differences, if any.
They probably didn't port FF9 because the graphics sucked compared to all the PC games at the time. So if they had, it'd look pretty lame compared to all the made-straight-for-PC games.

FF10, OTOH, has good/great graphics, so they *can* port it to PC without it looking crap.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #117 on: 2002-01-12 20:37:00 »
yea but it would be onlike lets see: 17,000 meg/800=22 cds. that's gonna cost an arm and a leg. maybe literaly. so they are gonna have to mash alotta stuff to lower quality. maybe i did this wrong maybe it's 9,000/800=12 cds. but in either case thats too many.

ficedula

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #118 on: 2002-01-12 21:21:00 »
No, they'd put it on DVD. DVD drives are cheap nowadays so it's not too unreasonable. Put it this way: You *can't* buy a PC nowadays without one.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #119 on: 2002-01-12 21:55:00 »
but what about people like me who DON'T have one? instead of it costing money for just the FFXPC  i'd have to go pickup a DVD-ROM drive. take out my current "plain" drive, not my burner install the dvd-rom one. install the drivers remove the older cd drive's ones and then install FFC-PC that's take me a good half hour to do all f the hardware stuff properly. and it'd cost me a good $250.

ficedula

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #120 on: 2002-01-12 22:36:00 »
A reasonable price for a DVD drive nowadays would be £50 (yes, I've seen them for that much) ... that's about $75 or so, I think. Where on earth did you get the $250 from?! Not a lot considering you're going to need one anyway in the next year or two - they are phasing out CD's, you know.

And installing a DVD drive should take around 5-10 mins at most. No drivers required. Windows supports it straight out of the box, just like a CD drive...

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #121 on: 2002-01-12 23:36:00 »
you can get a 16x dvd drive kit wires and all for around 49USD

installation Steps:
1) Take out old CD Drive
2) Insert dvd drive in the space that is no longer occupied and plug in the corresponding wires.
3) Turn on computer and install any necessary drivers off of the included CD

Anonymous

No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #122 on: 2002-01-12 23:48:00 »
If I might add... my current drive is a CD/DVD/CD-RW combo...that was a year ago... and it cost $150. A DVD alone has gotta be less.

Oh, and FF8 was a fine game... not Square's best, mind you, but Square nonetheless... so I wouldn't recommend bashing it.

And, there's always the option I'm taking. Clear your schedule for a long weekend (ie: President's Day) buy a memcard, and rent a PS2 and FFX. Then go hardcore, playing nonstop until you beat it. Then return the PS2 and FFX, and save your memcard till Square's next release, or a PS2 emu comes along.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #123 on: 2002-01-13 00:08:00 »
You know, this Console vs. PC discussion  is really a waste of time. Console games are all based about action and try to focus majoirty of the games around two player mode. PC games are all based around single player mode, and are disigned more around strategy, than anything else.

For example, racing games on a console are all about Non realistic physics and Heart pumping action. Majority of the Racing games found on a PC are focus around simulation driving (Takes more CPU power to make a simulation). It's kinda like compairing Chess with Football. It's obvious that cHiBiMaRuKo likes Football more than Chess....and considered Chess boring as hell, methodically speaking.

I don't really care if Square makes money or not.....I just want to spend less than 50 dollars to play their game, and the easiest way that will happen is if they or someone makes a port.  Let's put it this way.....if someone makes a port (like ePSXe), I'm going to blockbusters and going to rent FFX for a day, (cause that's all I need it  for....about a day) If Square takes the time to port it...They'll get my money.

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
No FFXPC (maybe) ....
« Reply #124 on: 2002-01-13 02:24:00 »
and your money is like $80? as to the $10,000+ rendering program they spent? great you just paid for .008% of the costs to creat the MODELS see how this is going?