Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Re:Sampled - High Resolution Pre-Rendered Backgrounds (v2.0)  (Read 93302 times)

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Do you have a copy of Palmer 0.8b that you can upload for us? Aali's link is not working in the Palmer thread.
crud that's not good i probably don't have it anymore I may have it in a very messy folder that contains some of my old work I'll have to sift through it when I have more time.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Do you have a copy of Palmer 0.8b that you can upload for us? Aali's link is not working in the Palmer thread.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8450.msg230309#msg230309

I have tested waifu, too. It gives nearly the same result as Blow Up 3 and that for free (on the other hand it needs much longer for a 4x upscale). I would like to see how some fields would look with it in game.
« Last Edit: 2015-07-20 16:22:53 by Kaldarasha »

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8450.msg230309#msg230309

I have tested waifu, too. It gives nearly the same result as Blow Up 3 and that for free (on the other hand it needs much longer for a 4x upscale). I would like to see how some fields would look with it in game.
After reviewing the test samples (I always use the same two images) and comparing to literally every other algorithm I have gotten my hands on since the original project began over five years ago the results are far any away sharper than anything else available.

As I've always said over and over what really matter is in game tests.  The scaling and proportion of the scenes in game is handled a bit differently than just looking at the plain image and we need something that conforms to that scaling nicely. 

Personally I never liked the results I got with Blow Up 3 and wouldn't reccomend it.  That said  I haven't gotten a chance to test this waifu2x in game yet so anything can happen.  Just because it produces ecxeptionally sharp results doesn't mean it's going to look decent in game but having gotten familiar with the command line tool I am fairly optimistic. 

I'd say the best chance for success us going to be with a level one noise removal. Level two removes too much detail and no noise removal is far too noisy and a smudgey.

Salk

• View Profile
I sincerely hope you can get a nice in game result with this new method, yarLson. And welcome back!

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
I'll do my best but I have been extremely busy and my wife has been using our desktop a lot lately for several projects she has going on so I still haven't gotten a chance but I will.

Salk

• View Profile
yarLson,

considering the limitations of Aali's driver, I was wondering if it'd not be best to leave out from the package those screens with lighting issues at transition?

I am so looking forward to a new version of Sampled! :)

Thanks!

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Here's my old method

And the new waifu2x

So what does everyone think?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
They each have their pros and cons, but I think Waifu looks better. If nothing else, it does MUCH better with sharp edges.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Waifu is easier on my eyes. I like it best.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Please make a demo to See how it looks in game.

obesebear

• View Profile
I agree the new one is better.  But what ever happened to a post processing shader

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
To respond to all three of you. One a demo would be kinda a pain in the ass right now since I haven't figured out how to fit this into the script yet. Although I will upgrade this scene later so you can test it.  Also post processing shaders turned out to be a nightmare withaali's driver however you can do some pretty awesome stuff with reshade if you haven't tried it yet.  Finally I agree I ended up deciding that no noise reduction is best and that is exactly what your seeing in the samples above.

olearyf2525

• View Profile
Here's my old method

And the new waifu2x

So what does everyone think?

Wow look at the doors to the right of 1-Ob. Huge improvement there, and minor improvements everywhere else. A lot more detail on the train, a lot sharper.

Luigi Brosse

• View Profile
I also prefer the new version :)

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
Hello.
I'm working in field upscale with waifu but have a bug to re-import some field in palmer, they are giving me a "parallax background layer" error

Any idea ?

thanks

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Yeah I used to know exactly what that meant I'll have to review my documentation to refresh my memory and I'll report back how are you doing this project with omzys script?

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
Thanks!
No not from omzy, i'm doing everything from scratch in vb6 + waifu + imagemagick (+gimp for some extra filtering if neeeded).

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
Hum, think i spotted it.
In some fields folder's there is more than one layer group, so i have to works on then as spares scenes or it'll end as resize error....
Need to works more on my automation soft ^^

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
Well good luck with that coming up with an algorithm that cuts smooth layers was kinda a pain but maybe you have more experience than I do.  If you dump everything from Palmer it should dump all scene layers just do a batch dump for everything.  If you have any samples id like to check them out

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
Here's a sample from start to the 1 boss (scorpion): http://www.multiup.org/fr/download/97a5de2bc4142ba0b7783935db8e5bab/field.waifu.7z
It's about 100% automatised (need to use palmer frontend to extract and import fields).
it's not perfect right now (layers cut is not resized so when you are behind an object it's overcuted):

yarLson

• spr nrd
    • View Profile
yeah the layers look a little blocky right now.  That's the hardest problem to solve if you can figure something novel that would be awesome good luck

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
Yes i need to solve that but i'll release a beta pack once all will be generated for testing purposes.(my corei7 working 24/24 from about 7 days now and not finished with waifu cpu resize ^^' (not using the gpu version because the resulting image is not as accurate than with the cpu version))
So while i'll work to solve the blocky layers edges someone could find some scenes bug (as it's automatised i'm sure that it'll have bugs in special cases fields i haven't spotted).
I also need to resize some scenes with waifu N1 filter because waifu unfiltered is realy crappy (in shinra building for exemple):

Unfiltered waifu 4x:

N1 filtered waifu 4x + some gimp filter:

« Last Edit: 2015-08-05 06:42:02 by satsuki »

satsuki

• View Profile
    • My softs (french only)
Hello, i found this waifu version : http://int.main.jp/files/waifu2x-converter_x64_20150616_02.exe.
You need to use it in the waifu koroshell folder (juste rename it waifu2x-converter_x64.exe and overwrite the existing file ^^) , it's using the same command line argument, provide the same detail level but can use the cpu or the gpu ^^, so it take about 8x or 9x less time to resize than the cpu version (geforce gtx 960 vs [email protected]).

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
Damn, that looks really good!

Salk

• View Profile
Pretty impressive. By pooling together your talents I believe you can really recreate fantastic 2D screens.