Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remix - A compilation of FF7 Mods [1.0-2.5.1]  (Read 1241218 times)

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Sup guys. Remix is really outdated, and pretty buggy. Unless titeguy3 decides to come back and update it, we will not be providing any support for it. Instead, check out Bootleg instead. ~Covarr

To learn how to get your mp3 soundtrack to loop seamlessly, click here!
*Note that most installation issues can be solved by turning off User Account Control (Vista) and running the file "FF7OpenGL.reg" in the "Final Fantasy VII" folder.
*Also note that the patch puts shortcuts in your start menu--the game must be run via these shortcuts for the mods to work properly.
If your game crashes upon startup or does not work properly, post a comment explaining the problem and providing the following information:
  • Your Operating System (and whether or not UAC is turned off, if applicable)
  • The console debug info provided by the FF7Music Console (you can see the FF7Music console by alt+tabbing while running the game) and/or the contents of "app.log" (use the "code" tags)
  • The directory your game is installed into.
...and I'll be able to help you out.
If you have ff7 in a language other than English, you're going to need to install one of my multi-language compatibility packs found right under the download link. Currently, Spanish, German, and French are supported, but I'm afraid that the AI/Kernel/Flevel mods are currently English only.

Walking in the footsteps of Miracle.Flame before me, I've spent the last few months perfecting a simple .exe patch for all current mods of Final Fantasy VII. Previously, I've been forced to have to share this patch via bittorrent due to the large filesize (~1.79 GB), but thanks to the generosity of DragonShadow of MMOwned.org, I can present this patch to everyone.
I'm aware that there are presently so many mods on the scene that compiling *all* of them would be impossible due to overlap, so I've been careful to choose only ones that stay true to the original game concept.

I'll try my best to stay on top of any new mods and incorporate them into future updates.
I'd like to stress to all of the current avid Qhimm modders that this is not in any way intended to be the "ultimate" group of FF7 mods, I'd consider it more as a good starting point for somebody who wants an enhanced FF7PC install minus the hours upon hours of forum searching and file downloading that it entails.

Since the original version, I've included added support for 64-bit operating systems, and eliminated program dependencies (such as loopbe and the truemotion and Indeo codecs thanks to Aali's driver). This installer effectively adds all FF7 controls to the start menu by utilizing script files that make running and configuring FF7PC Remix possible at the click of a mouse.

To see a sample of this patch in action/view tutorials, look here.

Here's a quick rundown of the mods/patches/enhancements included:
Code: [Select]
FF7 v1.02 official patch
Aali's OpenGL Driver v0.7.3b
Higher quality FMV's
Gjoerulv's Hardcore Mod v1.0 (+9999 limit breaker patch)
YAMP (Cutscene skip, Transparent dialogue boxes, and Mdef fix)
Apz' High quality Cloud battle mod
Timu Sumisu & Millenia's high quality Barret Battle mod
Grimmy's high quality Diamond Weapon Battle & Field mods
Team Avalanche 2D Overhaul (beta 9 hr +colon fix +fire2\faiga workaround +jutmpl01.tex fix +new opening screen)
Higher quality cloud bike minigame model
Phoenix Rejuvenation Project field models (+flickering materia fix +transparent faces fix)
New weapon models by Slayersnext+ApzFreak+TimuSumisu+Millenia
Ficedula's FF7Music (w/ "lessdebug")
Final FanTim's FF7 Remastered Soundtrack (looped by yours truly)
FF7 Remixed Music by the folks at OCReMix

Also incorporated are a few mods of my own:
File Icon Redux
New Spells/Weapons/Armor
Remastered AI Script
Battle glitch fixes
Re-translations

I'll emphasize, however, that this patch does not include FF7PC itself, only the files necessary to patch it, so the game must already be installed to "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII" (or "%SystemDrive%\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII" for 64-bit users) before running the patch. (and user account control should be turned off...otherwise the entire file would have to be loaded into memory before it will run, and loading 1.79 Gigs into RAM takes a while, and is generally not a good idea). If you don't own the original game for PC, you can see a list of places where you can purchase it here.

Without further ado, you can find the download link here:
Final Fantasy VII Remix v2.5.1 Installer
Temp Mirror
FileFront Mirror:
Part 1 (500 MiB)
Part 2 (500 MiB)
Part 3 (500 MiB)
Part 4 (~337 MiB)
But be forewarned that this file is 1.79 GIGABYTES, meaning that if you download at 100 KiB/s, it will take you NEARLY 5 HOURS to download this file!! I'd recommend you overnight this one unless you've got FiOS or something.

Already have v2.5 and want to upgrade? Try the FF7 Remix v2.5.1 Upgrader! (Filesize: 462.7 MB)
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

As I have not yet tested this version of the patch (that's what you guys are for  :-D), be sure to tell me if you find anything wrong, and I'll be sure to note it and address it in the next version. Also if you've got any questions, feel free to ask and I'll address them as soon as possible. Keep in mind, though, that there is a "BUG_REPORT" file that contains a list of currently known bugs and fixes, so I'd recommend that you look that over to see if your issue is mentioned before posting.

Thanks again to all of my fellow Qhimm modders and DragonShadow for making this possible.

For those of you who would be interested in trying out only my AI/Kernel mods (already included in the patch), you can find them here (they're dependent on each other so I'd recommend installing them all together):
WM patch (Need to use WallMarket to install)
Mirror
PrC patch (Need to use Proud Clod to install)
Mirror

Known Issues (as of v2.5.1)
  • ".\textures\Summons\leviathan\water_1_00.png" is missing, copy and rename "water_00.png" in that directory to fix this until v2.5.2
  • Fancy_Transparency errors -- turning it on can cause the game to crash during two battles in the hardcore mod, and it can also make Cloud's inner monologues not appear, keep it off.
  • Using Jenova save editor can cause errors at the Kalm flashback battle.
  • Barret's face flickers slightly in his field model
  • Some 2D textures are still incomplete
  • Not all 3D models have been redone
  • FMV's don't frameskip
« Last Edit: 2012-10-05 19:55:41 by Covarr »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Might i ask what the minor fixes to my mod were? Are they something i need to add to mine?
« Last Edit: 2010-06-09 13:26:31 by obesebear »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Oh, i fixed the green gunshot lighting and the "Target" battle icon. nothing that hasn't already been brought to your attention.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
Oh, i fixed the green gunshot lighting and the "Target" battle icon. nothing that hasn't already been brought to your attention.

Ah alright, i have fixed those already. Will be added to next release

BloodShot

• View Profile
I'd recommend you overnight this one unless you've got FiOS or something.

I've got FiOS  :-D

Seriously though, nice compilation.
Of the main ones you have listed, i have overall almost the same in my FF7 install, but if i ever move to another computer or need to reinstall, this should be very helpful.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Hmm, I'm getting 1.1MB/s which is sweet till I hit my daily limit for Virgin Cable.

Aali

• View Profile
That's odd, I don't recall you asking for permission to include my work in this pack of yours.

Steve-N

I have a single doubt:

Will I be able to install the patch/mod if I don't use the file structure you proposed (specifically: "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII"); let's say I install the game under "%SystemDrive%\Games\Final Fantasy VII", will this patch still work?
I am downloading it as I write, but it'll be a couple of hours till i can try it out... so i wanna be prepared. Not really much of an issue, but I'm kind of a freak when it comes to organizing the file structure of my PC :-P

Thanks a lot to all those who've done so much to make our FF7 experience so much better! And thanks to you for putting it all in one nice package!

One last thing, on the side, maybe you've encountered this issue, maybe you haven't, but I'm consistently having problems with the game sound. The game will run with sound for about a minute, and then it just dies (usually near the beginning of the intro, or in the menu itself, if I wait long enough), and i mean everything, sfx, music, you name it; not only that, it'll kill the sound of my entire system, that means no more sound in Windows :? until i reboot the machine. At first I thought it was a driver issue, but I've updated my sound card drivers and the issue persists. So, if you've come across this, and have found a way to fix it, I'd really appreciate your help. Don't get me wrong, the game works perfect otherwise, but the issue is with the sound dying after about a minute since the game starts running.
Oh, I forgot to mention, this was with the "Ultima Edition", running with several mods (all of them included in this pack), since the original FF7 doesn't work on my PC (Win XP Pro SP3, ATI Radeon 9550, nForce 2 Chipset -has an nVidia audio processor-)

Once again, thank you!
« Last Edit: 2009-08-31 15:43:18 by Steve-N »

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
That's odd, I don't recall you asking for permission to include my work in this pack of yours.

I wholeheartedly apologize. Truth be told, nearly most of the modifications in this pack are possible thanks to your work and again, I apologize for not asking you. I suppose I was so excited about it that it completely blanked my mind. If you or any other modders have any issues with this, I'll totally understand.

I'd like to emphasize again that I'm in no way trying to pass these off as my own work. All those whom I could think of to credit have been credited within the file. My only intentions were to make these amazing mods available more readily.

I have a single doubt:

Will I be able to install the patch/mod if I don't use the file structure you proposed (specifically: "%SystemDrive%\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII"); let's say I install the game under "%SystemDrive%\Games\Final Fantasy VII", will this patch still work?
I am downloading it as I write, but it'll be a couple of hours till i can try it out... so i wanna be prepared. Not really much of an issue, but I'm kind of a freak when it comes to organizing the file structure of my PC :-P

Thanks a lot to all those who've done so much to make our FF7 experience so much better! And thanks to you for putting it all in one nice package!

One last thing, on the side, maybe you've encountered this issue, maybe you haven't, but I'm consistently having problems with the game sound. The game will run with sound for about a minute, and then it just dies (usually near the beginning of the intro, or in the menu itself, if I wait long enough), and i mean everything, sfx, music, you name it; not only that, it'll kill the sound of my entire system, that means no more sound in Windows :? until i reboot the machine. At first I thought it was a driver issue, but I've updated my sound card drivers and the issue persists. So, if you've come across this, and have found a way to fix it, I'd really appreciate your help. Don't get me wrong, the game works perfect otherwise, but the issue is with the sound dying after about a minute since the game starts running.
Oh, I forgot to mention, this was with the "Ultima Edition", running with several mods (all of them included in this pack), since the original FF7 doesn't work on my PC (Win XP Pro SP3, ATI Radeon 9550, nForce 2 Chipset -has an nVidia audio processor-)

Once again, thank you!
You'd have to modify ff7remixpostinstall.bat, then run it, and also modify certain FF7 registry entries to make it work in your custom folder. Also, this game will require you to insert the game discs (or dummy images of them, the Ultima edition comes with a no-cd patch, no?). I'm afraid I've never encountered your sound issue...I can't imagine what's causing it short of a memory leak...
« Last Edit: 2009-08-31 18:02:52 by titeguy3 »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Chocobo Racing Patch
Aali's OpenGL Driver

You don't need both of these.

Also, this pack will be outdated within a week. I can't figure out why you included mods that are unfinished and still in active development.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Chocobo Racing Patch
Aali's OpenGL Driver

You don't need both of these.

Also, this pack will be outdated within a week. I can't figure out why you included mods that are unfinished and still in active development.
the chocobo racing patch is embedded in the executable so it's more of a hassle to uninstall it than it is harmful to keep it, even it if isn't necessary.

I included mods that are unfinished because most of the mods on these forums are unfinished. So long as it's a playable enhanced FF7 experience with few bugs it doesn't really matter whether or not one of the mods is "finished". SL1982's 2D overhaul, for example has reached a point where, although it is not yet finished, it's certainly an astonishing improvement.

Besides, I plan on updating this file as appropriate. Granted, not on a weekly basis, but whenever significant improvements are made. Again, this isn't supposed to be the greatest version of FF7 ever, just a way to easily install current mods.

Steve-N

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'll try it out and let you know what happens.
BTW, I'm gonna use this pack with the original FF7 disks, not the Ultima Edition, just to avoid any incompatibilities, seeing as the Ultima Edition has a few modifications incorporated into it (don't know which specifically, apart from the no-cd patch, but that's what the version description read). Gonna cross my fingers :wink:, and fiddle around with the sound issue, maybe I'll get around to a solution. :-)

Matt2Tees

• Sauntam/MXster/Machinimatt
    • View Profile
@ titeguy3 - Um, yeah, why do we need this?, MilesTailsPrower is hosting all the available mods on his server, so we can download them and install separately, plus you've included unnecessary mods such as the Chocobo Race Patch and the YAMP mini game fix.

Also, not everyone likes the NPC/PRP models, so they should be optional, and you've got 3 different weapon mods, so which versions of clouds have you gone with? Or have you done it randomly??

Edit: We don't need "Dreakon's Higher quality cloud mod" because we already have APZ's updated battle model...
« Last Edit: 2009-09-02 21:01:32 by MXster »

MilesTailsPrower

• S.A.S. Leader & Founder
    • View Profile
    • Sexy Action Squad - Website (in dev)
ill try look at this as soon as i can but i need to fix up my laptop before i go back to school tomrow D:

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
why do we need this anyway?

You don't. I didn't say you did. It just makes installing FF7PC mods easier. You're taking this as everything I said it wasn't. The point is the simplicity of the install.

willis936

• View Profile
What is ff7music remixer?  And the ostRe tracks are the cropped ones right?
Uncropped is so last month. :mrgreen:

EDIT:  Ah, apparently it incorporates some of ocremix's excellent work.  Of course I think Crystal Sermon would have been a better choice for the opening credits.  XD
Though personally the ff7music remix and FMV redux are not exactly my two most favorite mods.  I like mods that enhance rather than modify (lolcontradictionofterms).  Everything else is great and if so many of these mods were in final release I'd get this, but I know that this is still a very active forum and there is always moar work to be done.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-31 22:09:51 by willis936 »

Matt2Tees

• View Profile
why do we need this anyway?

You don't. I didn't say you did. It just makes installing FF7PC mods easier. You're taking this as everything I said it wasn't. The point is the simplicity of the install.

Its not making it simpler if you include out dated and unnecessary mods.... :roll:. Plus when new versions of the PRP and GUI Overhaul are released, this whole download will need updating, and I don't think ppl will wait another 4 and a half hours to download this again, and it seems a waste of your time to upload it again.

So to summarize, downloading things separately is better.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-02 20:59:08 by MXster »

willis936

• View Profile
I put together a 500Mb folder yesterday that has everything you need (including heavily patched exe) to be copied and pasted into the directory, click overwrite all, and play the game.

Of course you'll need to tweak the driver cfg and the ficedula settings for your computer (they are optimized for W7 x64 currently) and place the ff7music shortcut on the desktop, but it saved a lot of hassle of doing everything from scratch when you make a fatal mistake.

I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to upload it here, but it includes:
Code: [Select]
alli driver .7b
Team Avalanche 2D revamp .7b
custom main menu
YAMP:
9999 limit breaker
CSith
Gypt
Lucky Tifa
ff7music OSTRe cropped, buffers optimized, midi.lgp replaced
APZ freak's battle mod
Millenia's swords 4/16
masamune mod v2 (only for upgraded buster sword so it doesn't become obsolete, the ultima weapon is still ultima weapon)
latest PRP field (unofficial) and world map

It's another 880Mb if you want me to include the movies for your own little registry hack to streamline movies but you all have the discs so it's rather pointless.

If a/the mod can get back to me if I'm allowed to upload this or not that'd be swell.

Also, not trying to hijack your thread, I just don't think I should make my own though yours is a remixer and this kinda goes along with the Team Avalanche Mission Statement (update rather than modify, small artistic license).  If someone doesn't want YAMP applied I should probably remake the exe since it can't really be undone and not everyone wants that.  If you don't want the buster sword mod just don't paste over the kernel folder.

Also, I'm trying to make that 1998 icon look a little better but I can't seem to figure out how to open or edit it in CS4.  Anyone have any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 2009-09-03 00:12:31 by willis936 »

Matt2Tees

• View Profile
Seriously, let people learn how to mod their own game, I agree it could be useful if you messed up something, but backups of originals solves that problem, and how long does it really take to re-install everything? 10 minutes? Maybe a half hour?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Seriously, let people learn how to mod their own game, I agree it could be useful if you messed up something, but backups of originals solves that problem, and how long does it really take to re-install everything? 10 minutes? Maybe a half hour?

Are we talking about reinstalling the original game, or reinstalling and reapplying mods? The first takes me about 5 minutes, at most.

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
Looky here..The man is just trying to help The NOOBIES so that they can have the latest as to what mods they can get thier greedy hands on..if it isn't worth your valuable time I suggest you consider this as a basic crash course MOD for the new breeds.

SO that in due time more creative geniuses could come up with Greater MODS or Revamp some already Good MODS..

For example the Hi res Cloud was pawned by APZ CLoud Battle/Field Model...

SAints Hi res MOD was replaced by Aalis Custom Driver

And other things just kept getting better and better...so give the guy some credit will ya!! Peace!

aaronlite

• View Profile
I'm actually downloading this cause applying some of the mods seems to be complicated or i'm just messing up somewhere. I got APZ cloud in game, but I couldn't get the 2d beta 7 in... I'm sure if I worked at it I could get in on, but it was just frustrating me. =/

Once I have all the stuff set up and figure things out better it would probably be easier to set things up... =P

Thanks for compiling this, and to the modders who worked on the content.  : )

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
Its not making it simpler if you include out dated and unnecessary mods....

A) unnecessary mod is an oxymoron, a necessary mod is a "fix". I know what you meant, I'm just being a smartass :-P
B) by "it" do you mean the installer? I don't see how the date of the mods is relevant to simplicity. A modded game is a modded game.

C) I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head...
D) Took me like a week to get my modded FF7 working properly for the first time, following Miracle.Flame's instructions. Granted the fact that the SaiNt's Hires patcher's resolution didn't work on my laptop didn't help, but I think 4 and a half hours (let's be reasonable, most people nowadays can do better than 100kb/s) is better than that.

E) There's some cool stuff in this installer that isn't necessarily available anywhere else. (like cropped mp3's with a remixed soundtrack option, Modded AI, Translation fixes, bugfixes, Modded spells/materia/weapons/armor)
F) Some mods require modding multiple files like Kernel.bin, kernel2.bin, scene.bin, and flevel.lgp, FMV's, or mp3's in order to take full effect. I know that some materia mods require modding the first 4 on that list. That's a ton of data. If you're gonna download all of that, you might as well download it all in one compressed file.

I mostly made this just so that if anyone asked me how to get their FF7PC to be like mine I could just link em here instead of explaining the whole process to em.

EDIT: It's a field mod...It's Final Battle Cloud on the field I called it "Dreakon's Cloud" at a loss for another name. As for the swords, I incorporated them as efficiently as I could...Millenia's take priority over Slayersnext's. I kept the original Ultima Weapon, then put Apz freak's Buster Sword and Slayersnexts' Ultima Weapon in final battle cloud's files.
« Last Edit: 2009-09-03 07:40:35 by titeguy3 »

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
MXster: you're being a negative nancy

titeguy3: I love you man. It was such a pain putting all of my mods on my different ff7 installations (different computers).
Your installer is the sh*t  :mrgreen:

Harruzame

• Mondai Nai....
    • View Profile
Yeah man..its...t*ght.. :mrgreen:

A*t?..